Home
Posted By: Angus1895 Campground near Dillon Mt - 10/22/18
Hello. Where is a good place to camp with mules near Dillion Mt?

I am hoping 2 go hunting 4 a few days.

Thanks!
John
I've only camped along the Big Hole river near Wise River, MT. I've driven through the area a few times and noticed there are a bunch of places to camp on public USFS, BLM or State land/ campgrounds/ Fishing Access Sites (FAS), as well as privately owed campgrounds in the area, a lot of which are centered around the Beaverhead and Bighole rivers. You camp at the following FAS north of Dillon along the Beaverhead river - Maidenrock, Salmon Fly, and Brownes Bridge. Check out the USFS and MT Fish Wildlife Parks webpages for more info.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/bdnf/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=11589&actid=29

Check the Central Fishing District.
http://fwp.mt.gov/fish/guide/fasGuide.html
Angus1895: Two "campgrounds" inside the city limits of Dillon, Montana.
One is a K.O.A. and the other I believe is called "Riverside Campground - they MAY have room/facilities for Mules?
There is another campground about 3 miles south of Dillon near the junction of I-15 and Montana State Highway 278 - this campground is 200 yards west of I-15 on Highway 278. This campground would probably have a better chance of being able to accommodate Mules.
Also just west (somewhere) of this campground is a facility dedicated to people travelling with horse who need accommodations for horse/mules and small cabins to house the humans.
I hear people talking about it but don't know exactly where it is.
I wish I could be more helpful about this facility - I have an afternoon Hunt planned today but will do some checking for you on that horse/human facility.
Good luck on your hunt.
There are lots of free campgrounds around Dillon for humans to camp but I am not sure about the welcomeness of Mules?
Pardon my slow reply - I did not notice your posting til just this minute.
If you are interested in Hunting south east of Dillon the East Fork of the Blacktail Campground has room (but no corrals!) for Mules - its about 20 miles SE of Dillon.
Which direction from Dillon are you interested in Hunting?
The Campgrounds that "Driftboater" mentions above are actually on the "Bighole River" not the Beaverhead River - I don't want you to get turned around.
Those are nice campgrounds but again I am not sure if Mules are welcome there?
Again good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Angus1895:
The Campgrounds that "Driftboater" mentions above are actually on the "Bighole River" not the Beaverhead River - I don't want you to get turned around.
VarmintGuy

Oh crap, thanks for catching that Varmint. Sorry for the error Angus. USFS or BLM campgrounds may allow and be better suited for mules. If you call the local USFS/ BLM district offices or check the appropriate websites you should be able to develop a list of suitable campgrounds allowing mules. Good luck.
Driftboater: No problemo - don't want to hamper your efforts to help or "Fire Friend"!
And I made an error myself in my posting - I drove by what I thought was called "Riverside Campground" here in Dillon to ask about Mules and no one was "in"!
My error was the name - it is called "SOUTHSIDE CAMPGROUND"!
And their phone number is 406-660-0196 - at least that was what was written in a note on the front door.
No luck yet on the Horse overnight cabins.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Thank you can't wait to show the wife.

Last year we were going to camp in bloody dick drainage. Until she read all the grizzly bear required camping restrictions!

Kind of put the kibosh on that deal. I met a guide the other day.......got a hot tip, sorry I am sworn to secrecy, but I am excited!

I wish I started hunting Montana years ago. I wasted all my youth chasing elk with a recurve in Idaho. Needless to say didn't pack much meat out back then, ate a lot of tag soup! Hunting with rifles is SO MUCH fun, but the mules hate it! Too much work!
Good luck and have fun.
Angus
All of the Beaverhead-Deer Lodge NF is under food storage restrictions!
However if you aren't in the Gravelly Mtn. range I wouldn't lose to much sleep over it.
The usual precautions will get you by just fine.
This means all NF lands around Dillon.

Good luck!
© 24hourcampfire