Home
Posted By: vapodog Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/03/18
I just returned from a very successful ek hunt.....we went three for three and was filled out by 9:00 AM the second day of the hunt.

I'll post photos of he recovered bullets shortly.....but we used .308 caliber Barnes TTSX in 165 grain and 180 grain. Alll three elk was taken with one shot each.....not bad performance.BUT HERE'S MY QUESTION Is the tsx better than.less than, or equal to the TTSX?
Posted By: lotech Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/03/18
I'm going to try a TTSX this year for elk, but in the past have used the regular TSX BT in .270 (130 grs.) 7x61 (150 grs.) and .308 (168 grs.). Never a problem; apparently they opened just fine, though some say they don't open as dependably as the tipped version. Probably both excellent bullets.
Hopefully I can report back my experience with the .308 150 TSX as we leave tomorrow for our hunt.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/04/18
TTSX for better BC longer range, but both bullets are excellent. Love Barnes.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/04/18
Originally Posted by huntinaz
TTSX for better BC longer range, but both bullets are excellent. Love Barnes.

[I have used Partitions, A-Frames, Northforks, Accubonds and SSTs from Hornady and now with only three examples to my personal experience, will be using Barnes for not only environmental reasons but also because they are simply an extremely good performing projectile.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/04/18
I've witnessed my hunting partner kill 5 elk w/either .338 210TTSX via 338Win or .284 150TTSX via 280AI. I've killed 9 with standard TSX in either .308/200 via 300Win, 257/100 via 257Wby, or .277/140's via 270Win. 2 other hunting buddies have killed 4 elk w/TSX's in .308/200 300Win or .277/140 270Win (2 ea). You can throw 1 moose for each of us in that category as well. Both were ~200yds, one w/338Win/210 TTSX, one w/300Win/200TSX, again, virtually 0 difference in effectiveness, wound channel, or even in the recovered slugs.

I cannot determine a hill of beans of difference in accuracy or effectiveness. No difference in how long they last on their feet after hit that could be contributed to construction over placement and virtually 0 difference in what the wound channels looked like as I helped to cape/quarter all 17 I've either killed myself or watched killed through binocs.

If your rifle shows a preference, use that 'cause the elk won't care.
My 25/06 shoots slightly better with the tsx but both shoot really well. I was curious about the same thing.
Best I have found is the 168 TTSX IN 300 WBY. MY guide after cleaning and packing out went right to his cabelas and ordered him some !
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/04/18
North Fork
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/04/18
Yet to shoot an elk but running 168 ttsx out of 30.06 with a max load of imr 4064. I imagine it will do fine.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/05/18
I killed one bull elk with a 168 grain TSX and one bull elk with a 168 grain TTSX from my .300 Weatherby. Both bulls were DRT where I shot them. I killed a pile of PG critters in South Africa with 168 grain TSX bullets from my .300 Wby, I then killed a pile of critters in New Zealand and Mozambique with 168 grain TTSX bullets from my .300 Wby. Last year I started using 180 grain TTSX bullets. So far the only animal that I've shot with this bullet was a Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan that was DRT with a 327 yard shot through his shoulders.

Put in the right place, and both TSX and TTSX bullets work well.
Posted By: PA_Bob Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/06/18
Originally Posted by vapodog
I just returned from a very successful ek hunt.....we went three for three and was filled out by 9:00 AM the second day of the hunt.

I'll post photos of he recovered bullets shortly.....but we used .308 caliber Barnes TTSX in 165 grain and 180 grain. Alll three elk was taken with one shot each.....not bad performance.BUT HERE'S MY QUESTION Is the tsx better than.less than, or equal to the TTSX?

I was on this hunt with Vapodog-- we obviously caught 2 of the 3 bullets, a 180 TTSX (30-06) broadside chest, and a 165 TTSX (300 H & H) quartering away. Both at 200 yards. Both found under the skin on the off side. Excellent results, no complaints. Couldn't find the colorful tips unfortunately. So for anyone that has used both versions, do you see more pass-throughs with one version?
My wife and I have been using TSX's and TTSX's since they were both introduced, the TSX in 2003 and the TTSX in 2007. Have also seen a lot of other people use both, partly through going on several cull hunts from 2000-2010, incuding one month-long cull with a dozen other hunters in South Africa.

The big difference I've seen is the occasional failure of TSX from 6mm to .30 to open up.. My guess is the hollow-points sometimes get battered closed (or partially closed) during recoil on the front of the magazine box. Have never seen it happen with .224 TSX's, or over-.30's, probably because the recoil of .22 centerfires isn't enough to do it, and because the hollow-point in TSX's over .30 is significantly larger.

Have never seen a TTSX fail to open, though have seen one credible report that it occurred, apparently due to angling shot that bent the tip, probably on a rib..

That said, the failures of TSX's to expand have been rare, especially considering the total number of animals.

Anymore we use TTSX's, except in calibers over .30.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/06/18
Originally Posted by PA_Bob

I was on this hunt with Vapodog--

Yup....and let me tell ya.....PA_Bob can shoot with the best of them.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/09/18
Can anyone comment on how the Hornady and/or Nosler stacks up against the Barnes TTSX for terminal performance?
Of the few animals I've shot with each, I cant tell a bit of difference between the two.

It’s not a question that can be answered unequivocally IMO. I’ve used the 210 .338 TSX out of a 340 very successfully for years; a 270 .375 TSX on plains game, and the TTSX 150 and 140’s out of a 284 Win all with the same results — one shot affairs and superb hunting accuracy. Both types have been the most accurate bullets I’ve used out of these various cartridges for big game.

Until I received a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM. Based on my past experience, I expected my first handload with a TTSX to be accurate. I chose a 168 and used R17, the powder on hand which I also expected to do well in this cartridge. Over about twenty plus, 3-shot groups, accuracy ranged from 1.25 to 2.25” off of a bench, sufficient for elk hunting certainly but not for someone rather obsessive-compulsive. Velocity was good though. That’s my lone experience with the first load I tried with either bullet being just average accuracy-wise.

I have lost a few TTSX tips in the boxes over time which isn’t a such big deal. The TTSX’s have a slightly better B.C. for what that’s worth and a bigger hollow point but I also have not had expansion problems with the TSX’s.

There, I’m sure that was helpful..🤔
Posted By: ingwe Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/09/18
Originally Posted by PA_Bob
So for anyone that has used both versions, do you see more pass-throughs with one version?

Ive used them both quite a bit and can't detect a difference. I gravitate towards TTSXa mainly because of reports ( VERY few..but some from people I actually believe...) of an occasional failure to open with a TSX. Ive never experienced it......and probably never will, but the only thing I have left in a standard TSX is a 62 grainer in .224...and I have a lifetime supply of them.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/09/18
I have successfully used both TSX and TTSX from 6mm, thru the 7s and 30s and up to 338.

I have found several of each bullet in pigs, deer, elk and plains game against the off side hide.

They all look the same, as advertised, when removed. I have never had a failure from either bullet.

donsm70

I should add that I’ve only collected a few — a 270-grain 375 TSX that a big Burchell zebra stopped on the off-side shoulder; a 150-gr TTSX 284 that hit a big mule deer under the chin facing straight on at about a hundred yards. It was next to the scrotum after about four feet of travel. The third was another TSX 270 375 that went through a waterbuck sideways after hitting a twig in front of the animal. It was under the off-side hide.

Maybe the most impressive was this fall’s 140 TTSX (284 Win, started at 3050) that hit high on the shoulder of a young 6x6 bull at ~ a hundred yards, shattered the spine at the shoulder and exited.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/10/18
In 30 caliber and above I dont think it matters much if at all. Below that I would prefer the TTSX by a wide margin.
I have used both of the versions in 257, 264 and 308. I prefer the TSX over the TTSX in these. Both will kill/perform, but I have found the TTSX to be more violent. I actually caught a 264 140gr TTSX out of a 264 win mag in a bedded buck at 180 yards. Both are stone cold killers, but I find there are more TSX on my bench than the tipped versions. I do lone the TTSX in the 323 (8mm), it has brought new life to my 8x57.
Posted By: WAM Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/10/18
Can anyone comment on how the Hornady and/or Nosler stacks up against the Barnes TTSX for terminal performance?

I have never used the Hornady or Nosler monos and never will. Why try to find something as good as the best? I have taken and seen taken a bunch of deer and elk with the TTSX and nothing I’ve seen leads me to try something else. Just stick with the Barnes and kill critters. Happy Trails

I've seen around 40 animals taken with E-Tip and GMX bullets, the majority by me, ranging from pronghorns and springbok to bull elk, nilgai and similar-sized African game such as blue wildebeest. In general both have shot just about as accurately as the Barnes bullets, and perform so similarly on game I can't tell any difference. The percentage of recovered bullets is similarly small, though have recovered all three brands from pronghorns, all with VERY angling shots.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/11/18
I have found the Etip snd GMX to be more difficult to get to shoot, so I stopped bothering with them and have just ran Barnes. Barnes have always been easy to get to shoot since they went to the the grooved shank design.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have never seen a TTSX fail to open, though have seen one credible report that it occurred, apparently due to angling shot that bent the tip, probably on a rib..

I have. A freind recovered a 168 shot out of a .308 into a bull, no expansion at all. Of course, the MV was only 2650 so there's that.
Posted By: Buckster Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/11/18

I've shot numerous elk with 180-grain TSX's out of a .300 win mag with excellent results. Two weeks ago I took a 5x5 bull in Montana using 165-grain TTSX out of a 30-06. The actual bullet photo is linked below and it performed perfectly.

The shot was 251 yards from a pre-64 Model 70 featherweight with 22" barrel. The load was 58 grains of IMR-4350 with muzzle velocity right at 2,800 fps. At 250 yards it was going approximately 2,300 fps and broke the front shoulder and traveled through both lungs and the opposite shoulder and was found under the hide. It was a nose-dive bang-flop on an undisturbed animal. The final bullet weight was 164.4 grains and it expanded to .555 inches wide. Nosler Accubonds, Partitions and Barnes TSX's have been my go-to bullets for big game hunting and this is my first experience with the TTSX. This rifle showed a real preference for the TTSX's and I was pleased with the results. This was a sample of exactly 1, but thought I would post since I seldom recover premium bullets.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/84056.jpg
Posted By: WAM Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/11/18
I shot a bull at 225 yards with a 168 TTSX out of my .300 Weatherby last week and have no idea how well it expanded. Bull dropped nearly in his tracks from a double lung hit with an exit pass through. Never have recovered a TTSX from the .300 or 7mm Wby. Never had an animal take more than a couple of steps either. Why mess with success? Two hunting pals had same results this hunt with their .300 Roy with a 168 & 180 TTSX on a bull and mule deer buck. Steve’s rifle likes the 180 gr TTSX but I doubt the 12 gr difference is of any practical consequence. Happy Trails
Posted By: WAM Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/11/18
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have found the Etip snd GMX to be more difficult to get to shoot, so I stopped bothering with them and have just ran Barnes. Barnes have always been easy to get to shoot since they went to the the grooved shank design.

Since I have to buy all my own components, I’m not feeling compelled to try other bullets just to see if they work as well. Now, maybe if the others were free I might try them. Nah, probably not.....
BWalker,

In general, I haven't found either E-Tips or GMX's any more difficult to get to shoot as well as TSX's. About the only "trick" I've had to use is seating them a little deeper--which is usually about the only trick needed with TSX's as well.

But then again, I don't have problems with belted cases stretching in front of the belt, either, as some handloaders do.
Posted By: memtb Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/12/18
I never had a complaint about the TSX.....only went with the TTSX for the “very much” improved BC. Few options available for my caliber ( .375), and the 270 grain had a BC similar to that of a brick! wink. Went with the 250 TTSX....wish I’d waited a few more years for the 270 LRX! The TTSX seems to “open” a bit more violently, than the TSX....but it’s also leaving the muzzle a little over 200 fps faster! memtb
Posted By: vapodog Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/13/18
Helped others to bone out four mule deer today.....all taken with a 120 grain TTSX .264 magnum. Bullet performance as good as anything I've ever used.....superb bullets.
No experience with TSX, but the 150gr Barnes TTSX shoot well out of my .308. Here's a bullet recovered from the left hind qtr of a mule deer after a 20yd shot in the chest. Rifle is a Kimber MT 84M. I hope to get an elk with this combo soon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BWalker Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/13/18
BWalker,

In general, I haven't found either E-Tips or GMX's any more difficult to get to shoot as well as TSX's. About the only "trick" I've had to use is seating them a little deeper--which is usually about the only trick needed with TSX's as well.

But then again, I don't have problems with belted cases stretching in front of the belt, either, as some handloaders do.

John, In my limited expiereance I have. I have had two guns shoot e tips well out of 6. I have had one gun shoot GMX's well out of 4. I have had exactly one gun not shoot TSX, LRX or TTSX well out of 12. You do this stuff for a living. I do not and as a result I dont have the desire to fart around with a bullet when another that does the exact same thing doesnt require the same amount of attention.
As for belted case. They all stretch in front of the belt.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/14/18
This is from a friend of mine who was shooting factory ammo.

A 270/130/TTSX shot into a cow elk at 100 yards.
Bullet hit ribs/lung and was found on the opposite hide.
Cow ran 150 yds before dropping.

Expansion reminds me of the old X bullet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BWalker Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/14/18
Originally Posted by SU35

[Linked Image]

I recovered a 130gr e tip that looked similar after being fired out of a 270 at 3100 and into a whitetail at fairly long range. I wonder what the muzzle velocity was.

[Linked Image]

Are you sure that was a TTSX and not a TSX?
Posted By: memtb Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/16/18
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

[Linked Image]

Are you sure that was a TTSX and not a TSX?

I concur......the TTSX should be a boat-tail! memtb
Posted By: BWalker Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/16/18
Looks like a boat tail to me.
I have not used the TSX on game yet, but have loaded it for my .284 and .375 H&H proving very accurate. I have shot a caribou and recently a cow elk with the TTSX from my .338 WM. Very accurate also. The only problem I have had with the TTSX occurred after I shot the cow elk. I quickly reloaded after the shot and for some reason the cartridge went over the chamber and seemed to get hung up where the receiver and barrel connect. I had to fiddle with it to get it unstuck and when I did the tip was bent sideways. As I told my hunting partner, "I'm glad it wasn't a bear coming in fast when that happened." While a good bullet, that may have changed my mind to ever use them on dangerous game. While it may never happen again and was probably some problem with the rifle once a person loses faith in something it is hard to get it back. I have no problem using them otherwise. The rifle may not be used for it either.
BWalker,

I've rarely had to tweak the seating depth of either E-Tips or GMX's to get them to shoot, but always start in the same place recommended by Barnes, .05 inch off the lands. Have had to tweak TSX's just as often. But whatever.

Numerous people attempted to explain to you how to prevent belted cases from stretching on the other thread, something that many handloaders learn back in Reloading 201. But apparently you missed that part, and now are far beyond remedial reloading.
Posted By: memtb Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/16/18
BWalker, went to the reloading room and got several samples. The bullet pictured, doesn’t appear to be a “true” boat-tail....but doesn’t appear to be a flatbase either. Not sure, what the heck it is!

Top to bottom: .375 - 250 TTSX. .338 - 225 TTSX. .270 - 140 TSX BT. .375 - 270 TSX FB

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BWalker Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/16/18
BWalker,

I've rarely had to tweak the seating depth of either E-Tips or GMX's to get them to shoot, but always start in the same place recommended by Barnes, .05 inch off the lands. Have had to tweak TSX's just as often. But whatever.

Numerous people attempted to explain to you how to prevent belted cases from stretching on the other thread, something that many handloaders learn back in Reloading 201. But apparently you missed that part, and now are far beyond remedial reloading.

I also start at .050" off the lands and have rarely had to tweak a Barnes TSX or TTSX further. Honestly, given time constraints I would rather move on than try more than a few combinations. Im sure you can get both Etips and GMX to shoot perfectly with minimal work, but that just hasnt been my luck.

And numerous people are parroting what they have read over the years, but this has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/17/18
This was a TTSX for certain.

I can also tell you for certain that depending on the copper stock Barnes buys to make their bullets you can end up with inconsistent results.
Memtb, you don't have a clue.
Posted By: memtb Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/17/18
Memtb, you don't have a clue.

Thank you for your courteous response! I never stated that I could not be incorrect, merely that it didn’t appear to be a boattail....as the rifling marks went “almost” to the base. On your “I know for certain” remark.....I suppose that you’ve done “exhaustive” Brinell Hardness tests, on numerous lots of Barnes Bullets to verify your synopsis! You are likely correct....but “certain”, is a pretty strong testimony! I humbly recognize your superior intellect! memtb
In regards to the different copper lots.
My information comes from a Handloader- Dave Scovill article in which he he received first hand information from Barnes.
Posted By: memtb Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/17/18
As I stated, you were likely correct! And Dave is highly respected. As for the boattail or seeming apparent lack thereof....the comment was based on the rifling marks very near the end of the bullet. Barnes has experimented with various bullet shapes (ogive, etc.), designs, and degrees of annealing since the conception of the original X bullet. Hence, my comment “ Not sure, what the heck it is”! Perhaps a different design of the 130 TTSX.....again “just” a guess. I have no recently produced 130 TTSX’s, nor intimate knowledge of the design changes (if any) concerning the .270 - 130 grain TTSX . Merely judging, from my small quantity of Barnes X bullets manufactured since the early ‘90’s... it didn’t resemble any of my boattails, nor exactly like a flatbase. It did however, more closely resemble my flatbase bullets. memtb
Thank you for correcting me.

The factory cartridges were bought just some months ago.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/18/18
If it was factory ammo, Barnes might have made the bullet to different specifications. I recovered a 160gr 7mm TSX bullet from a bull moose that I shot with Federal factory ammo a few years ago. The TSX had a boatail. Barnes doesnt make a 160gr 7mm boatail TSX. Not as a component bullet anyway.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/18/18
BWalker,

and now are far beyond remedial reloading.

Where do I sign up?
Posted By: WAM Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/19/18
Kindly review the Barnes factory ammo offerings in 7mm Remington Magnum. The 160 gr TSX is a boattail bullet catalog #21529. Happy Trails
Posted By: WAM Re: Barnes TSX vs Barnes TTSX - 11/20/18
I confirmed that both boxes of Barnes factory loaded 7mm Remington Magnum 160 gr TSX in my ammo cabinet are indeed marked BT. Happy Trails
© 24hourcampfire