Home
Posted By: 163bc Colorado unit 61 - 02/25/19
I have the points to draw any season in unit 61. Can anyone recommend top outfitters in this unit? Also any DIY suggestions? Thanks, 163bc
Posted By: 163bc Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/25/19
No one ever hunted this unit?
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/25/19
We've had 36" of snow in the past 72 hours down here in SW Colorado. Give us a break if we aren't checking the boards every few hours.
Posted By: T Bone Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/25/19
This bull came out of 61 last year. There are many bulls that are bigger.

Great unit. A lot of elk, and very high bull to cow ratio.

If you have one good eye, two good legs, and at least one arm, you'll get a DIY bull.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 163bc Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/25/19
Nice. Would love to do it on my own but i’m On east coast w no time to scout.

Did you camp? If so where? Are their cabins to rent anywhere? Hotels?

How did you get around? Horses, truck, atv?
Posted By: BigFin Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/26/19
That hunt is a blast. If someone didn't find a decent elk hunting that unit, odds are they probably didn't get out of the rig. I had the tag in 2016 and it was a remarkable hunt.
Posted By: BigFin Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/26/19
If you're looking to go outfitted seek out Adam Gall of Timber to Table Guide Service. I know he started operating there recently. He's a high quality guy.

Link here - http://timbertotableguideservice.com/
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/26/19

There are plenty of places to camp. ATV’s and a truck are the best way to get around until it’s time to hike (unless you have a horse or mule). The bigger bulls are down in the canyon bottoms. Garvey’s and Weimers guide amongst others, Weimers have a bnunckhouse that they rent out. I live nearby 61, here is my second season DIY bull from a few years ago. [Linked Image]
Posted By: 163bc Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/26/19
Thank for the info guys. It is appreciated. I plan to follow up on the recommendations. Keep em coming.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/26/19
My buddy's wife drew that tag last year. 1st elk season. It was DIY---they used Knight Canyon Outfitters to pack it out. They also do guided hunts. There was a pretty good forest fire there last year. My buddy is hoping that he draws this year-----they plan on using them again if they tag out.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/27/19
Next year I will have enough points to draw 3rd rifle in that area I’m really giving it some thought!
Posted By: WAM Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/27/19
Originally Posted by 163bc
I have the points to draw any season in unit 61. Can anyone recommend top outfitters in this unit? Also any DIY suggestions? Thanks, 163bc

So you have north of 20 preference points for elk in Colorado? Happy Trails
Posted By: 163bc Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/27/19
Originally Posted by WAM

Yep 24 points. Gonna be 62 by the time I get there so no sense in waiting much longer to use em.

Burned my deer points a couple years ago.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/27/19
Kudos for the patience to build that many points. I have 3 or 4...
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/27/19
Originally Posted by WAM

Yep 24 points. Gonna be 62 by the time I get there so no sense in waiting much longer to use em.

Burned my deer points a couple years ago.

Good Luck on the draw. Let's us know who you are going with & give us a full detail report with lots of photos come this October. Bob
Posted By: WAM Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/28/19
Best of luck in the draw. I’m guessing it will depend on how many with those points apply. Good hunting , too!
Posted By: WAM Re: Colorado unit 61 - 02/28/19
Someone in our group will kill a big hoss 6x6 about every 7 years or so. Last one in 2014, so I’ll probably have to wait a turn for a couple more seasons! LOL!
Posted By: sptsman4 Re: Colorado unit 61 - 03/01/19
I'm from UT and have 24 NR pts and I'm torn between 61 ML and 76 ER. I'm 71 and going solo so, due to the terrain it will probably be a guided hunt in 76. Unit 61 seems to be easier access and terrain but in my experience big bulls 320+ live in the thick and nasty and hard to get to. So, I'll still probably need a guide or at least a pack-out. Any recommendations on which unit, where to hunt and any guides you could recommend? I've hunted elk for 50 years, have all of the gear, am in great shape, and can hunt solo except for the pack-out. I've got a 310 UT bull on the wall and after waiting for 24 years I really am hoping for one that's 320+. Thanks
Posted By: kansasquakhead Re: Colorado unit 61 - 03/16/19
PM sent!
© 24hourcampfire