Home
Has anyone placed game cameras on public land? Were they stolen, messed with or left alone? It was years ago when I called the Forest Service and they were fine it as long as my contact info. was readily visible on the camera. Elk move around so much I don't think they'd be overly useful for a fall hunt, but it might be interesting to see how big some of the bulls are...if the camera captures any.
I don't use them personally but I've seen a few on public land. Never crossed my mind to mess with one.
I have seen a few , but always figured it was laziness or lack of knowledge by the person on how to find elk
Posted By: mudhen Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/10/19
Most of the public land hunters that I know who use them are deer hunters. Most of those are whitetail hunters, although a few of the local ranchers I know use them to help pattern big mule deer. I do know a couple of bow hunters who use them for elk, and they seem to be useful for those who sit on water sources or heavily used trails. I think that there are so many elk hunters afield during rifle seasons that they are minimally useful, if at all.
I've come across a few over the years in the elk mountains.

I like to give the owner a gift, show them my ass crack and dirty dance in front of them for a while.
Posted By: WAM Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/10/19
We put ours out on old crossings and water sources for mule deer and elk and pull them in the last day to see what we might have missed. We really don’t use them for hunting info..
Posted By: mikieb Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/11/19
It depends..... when I find them in Wisconsin... And I see a lot of them.

If I see one, and it is strapped to the tree and nothing is disturbed... I'm cool with it.... I leave it alone...

If I see one over a bear bait, I leave it alone. Baiting bear is legal… I'm cool with that.

But, If on Public land, if I find some AZZBAG has one screwed to a tree... with shooting lanes cut and tree branches cut for a stand tree and the like... I take out the SD card and batteries and cut the strap or tie a knot in the strap so tight that he has to cut the strap.

If I find one over a bait pile on public land, (It's illegal to bait here) I take the SD card, batteries and I may smash the camera on the tree.

The new ones are so cool.... they have cell phone connections to them. so the owner will get a picture of me on his phone when I find his camera. .. .

I never see them in the elk woods when I am out west....
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I like to give the owner a gift, show them my ass crack and dirty dance in front of them for a while.

I may have photos of you.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

I may have photos of you.

From Wyoming? Sweet.

Post my skillz.

They tend to disappear.
Posted By: erich Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/11/19
Would you leave your rifle leaning against a tree in hopes that it will be there for your next hunt. Abandoning stuff on public land is just asking for it to be removed. An acquaintance of mine lost a couple of cameras on public land and had some USFS stickers made to put on his cameras and so far has been left alone.
Originally Posted by mikieb

If I see one, and it is strapped to the tree and nothing is disturbed... I'm cool with it.... I leave it alone...

If I see one over a bear bait, I leave it alone. Baiting bear is legal… I'm cool with that.

But, If on Public land, if I find some AZZBAG has one screwed to a tree... with shooting lanes cut and tree branches cut for a stand tree and the like... I take out the SD card and batteries and cut the strap or tie a knot in the strap so tight that he has to cut the strap.

If I find one over a bait pile on public land, (It's illegal to bait here) I take the SD card, batteries and I may smash the camera on the tree.

The new ones are so cool.... they have cell phone connections to them. so the owner will get a picture of me on his phone when I find his camera. .. .

Just what the world needs, another wanna be enforcer...One COULD report them, and have a chance at the owner being caught.... nope...lets just do whatever we want and steal while we are at it.
One place where I elk hunt it is the fish and wildlife department that have the most game cameras out and it's not to watch game.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/12/19
Roas495 :Just what the world needs, another wanna be enforcer...One COULD report them, and have a chance at the owner being caught.... nope...lets just do whatever we want and steal while we are at it.

I hear you... I understand what you are saying... And.... YOU are right. The world dose not need another rule enforcer...

I see a lot of these cameras on public land near my house, and I don't see a problem with it at all.

However, I have not been checked by a Game Warden in Wisconsin in the last 8 or 9 years... Game wardens are just not on the landscape. And when they are... they have bigger problems to tackle.... You are just not going to get any kind of law enforcement action of any kind for someone, on public land, who cuts shooting lanes, dumps bait, and damages trees for "their spot" . Public land needs to be respected because you are not the only one using it, and, it's not just yours.

By the way... I have an ice cream pail half full of AA batteries and 3/4 coffee cup full of SD cards....
I leave my camera on public land. If I catch some azzhole fucquing with my sheit he'll have his hands full, same as he would if he fucqued with my truck or my campsite. If it's not yours, keep your hands off it, it dont belong to you.
Originally Posted by RMiller2
One place where I elk hunt it is the fish and wildlife department that have the most game cameras out and it's not to watch game.

I once worked on an RMEF project to fence off "sensitive riparian elk wintering grounds" from what was thought to be ATV riders tearing up the banks of a creek. The DOW hung some trail cameras and found it it was mountain bikers.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I leave my camera on public land. If I catch some azzhole fucquing with my sheit he'll have his hands full, same as he would if he fucqued with my truck or my campsite. If it's not yours, keep your hands off it, it dont belong to you.

I don't use cameras but I'm with you on that.

You should probably have your ass kicked for doing chit like that.
i hang cameras all year around on public land. don't use them so much to hunt but to monitor the health and numbers of the wildlife that affect me. like wolves, cats, bears, and coyotes.
last couple years its been predators out numbering the game.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/12/19
if it aint yours do not fugg with it
Posted By: SLM Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/13/19
Ya, it’s liable to catch up with him.

A guy took a pretty good beating a couple years ago in one of our premier elk units a few years ago for messing with a guys camera. Those two are still battening to this day.

Originally Posted by chesterwy
You should probably have your ass kicked for doing chit like that.
Posted By: WAM Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/13/19
In my neck of the woods, some azzhat found busting up or stealing someone else’s cameras, stands , or other gear would be lucky to be in the care of a hospital instead of chained to a tree for bear bait. Don’t fugg with what’s not yours....
Posted By: Hudge Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/13/19
My use of game cameras on public land is not for elk hunting, but rather for bear baiting. Between my buddy's stand and then my bait stand last year, we never had any cameras stolen. Some guys about two miles from us did have their cameras stolen and others caught people putting bleach in the barrels last spring. Since it's illegal to mess with someone else's bear bait in Alaska without permission, the most often thing I usually hear about or see online, is "Does anyone know these people"?

Improving your skill sets?
Originally Posted by erich
Would you leave your rifle leaning against a tree in hopes that it will be there for your next hunt. Abandoning stuff on public land is just asking for it to be removed. An acquaintance of mine lost a couple of cameras on public land and had some USFS stickers made to put on his cameras and so far has been left alone.

It's not abandoning anything. Is leaving your tent up when you go on a hunt abandonment? What about your truck? You left it on public property and walked away, must be free game. Oh, but you're coming back for it? Same with the game cams.
Posted By: WAM Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 05/14/19
Vandalism or theft of another’s property is not defined by where said items were located. One could hardly argue for pressing theft of an item found alongside the road, etc. but property in place by the owner fulfilling its intended function is hardly abandonment of property. Whether or not the camera is there legally, it is not the function of bubba to enforce the rules; just like it is not up to the amateur bubba to take up game management outside of the regulations.
I use them. Get a real kick out of seeing what is coming into my water hole. Gives me a reason to climb to the top of the mountain where my waterhole is located and get into shape before hunting season. Nobody has ever messed with them but they are not were many people are dumb enough to go.

FWIW: I put a note in the cameras with my name and a statement that says I have other cameras in the area and very likely have pictures of them.
[Linked Image]
I keep 6-8 out on my ublic ground all year. Tell the usfs to take your id info and shove it. You have to be real close to a camera and KNOW its there to spot it. I dont put cams on paths that get travelled. I dont use them for hunting, just enjoy getting critter pics year round.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1WbYs6lDcY/?igshid=l95lfkf9hb9b
I've taken tens of thousands of photos over years and years with them, always on public land. Nobody ever messes with mine. Bears do, which is why I have a steel box on it. But, I never put it where it can be accessed without quite a hike, and never on a waterhole, and never on anything like a path. It's easier to find a 400 inch bull than a waterhole with no camera on it in AZ public land.

Recently had one out for 14 months. 800 bear pics and not a human being. This is no difficult thing.

If you hang cameras on water holes, they will be messed with. That simple. I enjoy mine so much I consider it the risk of loss a cost of doing business.
Originally Posted by smokepole

I don't use cameras but I'm with you on that.

I dont use cameras either. I hunt the old fashioned way. I could care less if theres cameras in the trees.
Posted By: johnn Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 03/09/20
I havent used. But have no real problem with them, i would not be keen on having my picture on someones camera, likely remove it or the card for that reason alone. With that being said, if you don't want someone to [bleep] with your [bleep], don't leave it on public property, if its gone dont complain. Your pickup truck in the parking lot isn't taking pictures. if it was i would [bleep] it up as well. World is full of gawdam cameras, don't need em in the frikkin woods.
Originally Posted by johnn
I havent used. But have no real problem with them, i would not be keen on having my picture on someones camera, likely remove it or the card for that reason alone. With that being said, if you don't want someone to [bleep] with your [bleep], don't leave it on public property, if its gone dont complain. Your pickup truck in the parking lot isn't taking pictures. if it was i would [bleep] it up as well. World is full of gawdam cameras, don't need em in the frikkin woods.

Was that you beating off on camera?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 03/09/20
Yeah I've seen them. That's why I took to carrying a can of black spray paint. grin
Posted By: johnn Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 03/09/20

Nah.... I did that on your truck door handle..
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Game Cameras on Public Land - 03/09/20

Nah.... I did that on your truck door handle..

And he thought was Dukes.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Yeah I've seen them. That's why I took to carrying a can of black spray paint. grin

Hey, I had some over there. I like taking pics of jackrabbits.... grin
Roas495 :Just what the world needs, another wanna be enforcer...One COULD report them, and have a chance at the owner being caught.... nope...lets just do whatever we want and steal while we are at it.

I hear you... I understand what you are saying... And.... YOU are right. The world dose not need another rule enforcer...

I see a lot of these cameras on public land near my house, and I don't see a problem with it at all.

However, I have not been checked by a Game Warden in Wisconsin in the last 8 or 9 years... Game wardens are just not on the landscape. And when they are... they have bigger problems to tackle.... You are just not going to get any kind of law enforcement action of any kind for someone, on public land, who cuts shooting lanes, dumps bait, and damages trees for "their spot" . Public land needs to be respected because you are not the only one using it, and, it's not just yours.

By the way... I have an ice cream pail half full of AA batteries and 3/4 coffee cup full of SD cards....

Im thinking if you think that cutting some limbs off a tree or even cutting a tree is a big deal, then rock on with your thoughts, you and I read different books. LOL
© 24hourcampfire