Home
Posted By: Kenneth 180g Nosler Accubond, 300wsm. - 08/18/19
yes or no.
Yes but I would go with a 180 grain Partition. I'm old school.
Yes. I did not recover the bullet on the one AZ bull I shot with the 180 NAB from my 300 WSM. Shot was broadside though lungs from about 150 yards.
Posted By: Hesp Re: 180g Nosler Accubond, 300wsm. - 08/19/19
Most reasonable C&C bullets will completely pass thru an elks rib cage like a 6.5 140gr , 270 140gr etc. This is a soft spot shot. In my experience a tougher bullet is needed when angled shots from front or rear are encountered. This is where you will hit bone & dense muscle & considerably more resistance. My preference for the last 25 years has been the copper mono's. Next to that would be the Nosler partition. Penetration thru the tough parts of an elk is what should determine the type of bullet used.
Posted By: WAM Re: 180g Nosler Accubond, 300wsm. - 08/19/19
My Colorado deer and elk hunting buddy shoots Accubonds through his .300 WSM and Partitions in the Win Mag with equal effect according to his results on game. I stick to 168 TTSX in my .300. Weatherby just because. Happy Trails
Either that or 190 LRAB.
Great bullet for the 300wsm. Spouse used it exclusively on everything form pronghorn to bison. 64 gr IMR 4350.
My 300WSM with hand loaded 180 gr. Accubonds has accounted for five big game animals weighing 600 pounds and more. MTG
I also use the 180 gr Accubond with my 300 WSM and have had no problems. I wanted to use the Partitions but my rifle liked the Accubonds better. I do use the Partitions in my 300 WM and they are great.
I'm hungry. Should I get a burger?
why not the 200 gr accubomb ??

it'll shoot just as flat for all practical purposes....
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
why not the 200 gr accubomb ??

it'll shoot just as flat for all practical purposes....

Because I have 4 boxes of factory Nosler 180's.
Worked well on my Kentucky Bull elk out of my 300SAUM. One shot through lungs and he went maybe 50 yards. I like the fact that it shoots the same as the 180gr BT's, which I use on whitetail's.

HeavyBarrel
Originally Posted by Kenneth
yes or no.

I'm really having a hard time grasping how this is a serious question. Maybe you can help me out. Who is gonna say "no", except people who don't hunt elk?
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Kenneth
yes or no.

Who is gonna say "no", except people who don't hunt elk?

For example,

People who may have had bad experiences with the 180g Accubomb?

I've put you in the "yes" category.
Partitions have always been my preferred bullet. They are hard to beat if they are accurate in your rifle. Accubonds have worked for me for deer but I have never used them for elk.
Posted By: KLM Re: 180g Nosler Accubond, 300wsm. - 08/24/19
165 grain accubonds have worked for me in the past in a 30-06, no reason 180 wouldn't work. I'm going with 180 accubonds in my 300wsm with a max load of H4350 this year.
Posted By: Hesp Re: 180g Nosler Accubond, 300wsm. - 08/25/19
A rib cage shot even on an elk is a soft target & easily penetrated by any reasonable C&C bullet. Even my old 7x57 with the Sierra 160gr will easily completely penetrate an elks rib cage. The real test of a bullet on an elk is it's ability to penetrate on an acute angled shots where muscle mass & heavy bone are encountered. From the front or rear. We have found in a 30 cal a bullet like the Barnes 150gr TSX will penetrate threw these angled shots & on out the other side. After hunting for days & dead tired your presented with a tough angled shot threw an opening in a Willow or Aspen thicket your hunt success absolutely depends on deep penetration.
Shot last year's cow at 320yds with 180gr ABs that only started out at 2,690 fps (18.5" .30-06).

Found the one that hit the shoulder under the skin on the far side, weighing 109gr and looking like this:

https://imgur.com/a/0MN0rcA

The one that didn't hit the shoulder, but went though a bit more elk exited. Lots of damage and elk soup between them, I plan on using them again this year.
Been a great elk combo for me as well. Very happy.
This is sort of Is the Pope Catholic sort of question. Just about any 300 something and about any bullet over 150 grains will take elk, add in the monos and anything over 130 grains is skookum.
Yes
Yes, I've killed deer, elk, and moose with that combination. No problems.
The Accubonds have been excellent for us on elk in our small hunting camp. We've seen the 160 7mm, 165 .308, and 200 AB all work. Seen about the same number from Partitions and I couldn't tell the difference in impacts or ability to handle elk. I would be very happy to hunt elk for the rest of my days with a 180 Accubond in a good 300.
No, I've never used it.

Yes, I would if I had four boxes of them and no money to buy partitions or the ability to trade the four boxes for one box of partitions. grin
© 24hourcampfire