Home
Anyone use these on elk? I'm taking them on my NM elk hunt in a couple weeks. Going to be using my Savage Long Range Hunter. 3/4" groups. Thoughts?
I think you won't have a single darned issue! Good luck on your hunt.

That's about as good of an elk combo as about anything else. That 190 LRX should pound any bull walking.
I've killed a dozen elk and a Canadian Moose with 200gn TSX's/300Win, can't imagine why the 190's would't be every bit as good.
Posted By: anie Re: Barnes 300 Win Mag 190 Gr LRX - 09/18/19
have killed a bunch of bulls with 180gr ttsx ammo out of a 300 win mag, 190s would be deadly!!!
Thanks, All for the comments. Can't wait to get out there and try it out.
Posted By: CRS Re: Barnes 300 Win Mag 190 Gr LRX - 09/19/19
Thoughts??

I think if you put that bullet in the right place, you will have a very dead elk.
Sounds like a heavy rifle, do you anticipate much hiking?
Posted By: SU35 Re: Barnes 300 Win Mag 190 Gr LRX - 09/19/19
From experience, the LRX will open up a larger hole than the TSX. Lung shots are devastating with the LRX.
Put one in the ham and you will have a sizable hole.
I'm sure they'll work fine.

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but worry less about your groups and more about getting off a killing shot from a field position in a decent amount of time. Maybe even practice finding partly obscured objects in your scope. I do not know your specific situation, but some eastern guys have a hard time even seeing game at more than their tree stand shooting distances. And then getting it in their scope and hitting it.

When a hunter starts mentioning group size to me it's a warning flag. I'd much rather hear about how they've been hiking long distance up and down hills and how they've been practicing shooting off their back pack or a log or off hand, or from a horse with the reins in their teeth.
The “only” potential negative that I can see, is with the length of the bullet and the somewhat limited case capacity of the .300 WM.....you will be sacrificing velocity. With the velocity loss, the improved BC may not overcome the velocity deficit....even at extended ranges! memtb
Been to this ranch twice in the last few years. Shots taken were 230 & 260 yards, both 1 shot kills. First was prone off my backpack. Second was shooting sticks from kneeling position. I'm pretty comfortable with different situations. Never take anything for granted, though.
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Not long hikes. I have a Tenzing backpack made for carrying & hiking. Strong like bull, baby ;-)
Originally Posted by exbiologist

First thing I thought of too. My 338 Sako is about 8.75# and I don’t want anything heavier...maybe 9# max. Of course if you aren’t looking to hike much a heavier gun might be ok. Best advice I ever heard about carrying around my “too heavy” 10.5# RUM back in the day was to just lose three pounds myself and I’d be right back in business. Good advice.
Cant speak to the performance of the 190 LRX, but myself and my brother both shot elk last year with the 175 LRX out of a 300 wsm with good results. I am sure it will work just fine.
It'll never work. Elk are Christian, and though the bullets may do the job, they just come back to life.
I have a Love/Hate Relationship with Barnes X Bullets, LOVE them for Elk, But not so crazy about them for Deer, Especially the Smaller Faster Calibers (.257 Weatherby etc.) on a Lung shot, They ZIP straight Through like BUTTER And Don’t leave much, if ANY Bloodtrail. But on Elk the Body is SO BIG the Bullet has time to Slow Down and “Dump it’s Energy” i have killed 7 or 8 Elk with X Bullets, i have only Recovered 2 X Bullets From them, the 2 I Recovered were Picture Book Perfect, They Definitely take the Forward Motion OUT of Elk! Where as Deer, i have seen them Hit at “Lightning” Speeds with X Bullets, Jump (Mule Kick) and PEEL out gone for 100 Yards or so, Several left ABSOLUTELY No Blood Trail Behind. This isn’t to big a deal in Open country where you can See the Deer Expire, Or in Snow where you can easily Track, But in Brushy Thick Country like here i want them to Bleed so i can easily Track

Put that 190 Grain X Bullet where the Bull Lives, You will own him 👍
Originally Posted by Idaholewis
I have a Love/Hate Relationship with Barnes X Bullets, LOVE them for Elk, But not so crazy about them for Deer, Especially the Smaller Faster Calibers (.257 Weatherby etc.) on a Lung shot, They ZIP straight Through like BUTTER And Don’t leave much, if ANY Bloodtrail. But on Elk the Body is SO BIG the Bullet has time to Slow Down and “Dump it’s Energy” i have killed 7 or 8 Elk with X Bullets, i have only Recovered 2 X Bullets From them, the 2 I Recovered were Picture Book Perfect, They Definitely take the Forward Motion OUT of Elk! Where as Deer, i have seen them Hit at “Lightning” Speeds with X Bullets, Jump (Mule Kick) and PEEL out gone for 100 Yards or so, Several left ABSOLUTELY No Blood Trail Behind. This isn’t to big a deal in Open country where you can See the Deer Expire, Or in Snow where you can easily Track, But in Brushy Thick Country like here i want them to Bleed so i can easily Track

Put that 190 Grain X Bullet where the Bull Lives, You will own him 👍

Amen. Great explanation
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
It'll never work. Elk are Christian, and though the bullets may do the job, they just come back to life.

I'm a Christian and the good Lord gave me dominion over those elk. So, we'll have a talk. Only life they'll be coming back for will be dinner.....Hopefully!
FWIW, The LRX worked flawlessly. 270 yards double lung pass through. Bull went about 15 yards and went down. Liquified the lungs.
Fantastic. Put up a pic. 270 yards sound like a chip shot for that combo.
© 24hourcampfire