Home
Posted By: WL205 First Elk - 09/25/19
Saturday the 14th the stars finally lined up and I harvested my first elk. Not a big bull by any means but he was hard earned. Slight quartered away at 18 yards stuck the slick trick in the offside shoulder. Pretty rough terrain in central Idaho (to me at least), spiked 7 miles in, shot him 2000 feet above camp.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
Damn nice bull! Congratulations on a well earned trophy.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
And he fell in a shady spot, that was nice.
Congrats on your first. Any elk with a bow is a good elk.
Posted By: SKane Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
Well done! Congrats!
Posted By: GregW Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
Great job...

How was the pack out? Grin...
Posted By: smokepole Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
Wow, congrats, you earned that one. Well done.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
Originally Posted by GregW
Great job...

The norm is to sing and dance for 1 min. Then you calm down, look at the enormous pile of dead meat, look at where you are, and say 'Oh shxt!'.
Posted By: GregW Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Great job...

The norm is to sing and dance for 1 min. Then you calm down, look at the enormous pile of dead meat, look at where you are, and say 'Oh shxt!'.

Yup...grin...

At least he died in a great spot and ABOVE camp...
Posted By: WL205 Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
Great job...

We were blessed with some good fortune, we were planning on a backpack hunt as my hunting partner's brother had their two mules on a Colorado hunt. The day before we left they tagged out and were packing out. We were able to detour a bit and pick up the mules on our way to Idaho. Those mules saved us as we would have at least made two trips to get the meat out on our backs. I've been on a couple other hunts where we packed an elk out on our backs and its more than I want.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
Nice bull - congrats!
Posted By: memtb Re: First Elk - 09/25/19
Congratulations, a nice bull by any standard! That may be your first.....but, it will always maintain it’s position as your most memorable elk! Nothing can replace the first one! smile memtb
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: First Elk - 09/26/19
Congrats on an excellent bull! What is your bow and broadhead setup?
Posted By: Walker6 Re: First Elk - 09/26/19
Great job, WL. Congrats.
Posted By: Cinch Re: First Elk - 09/26/19
Very nice congratulations...
Posted By: WL205 Re: First Elk - 09/26/19
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Congrats on an excellent bull! What is your bow and broadhead setup?

Thanks...I'm hunting with dove loads...Mission Ballistic 65#, 27" Beman ICS w/ 100gr Slick Trick standards @ 295fps
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: First Elk - 09/26/19
Beautiful trophy! Congrats!!
Posted By: colorado bob Re: First Elk - 09/26/19
Atta Boy----That'a a dandy bull
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: First Elk - 09/26/19
Nicely done, congrats!
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: First Elk - 09/29/19
Great bull. Thanks for sharing. Congrats
Posted By: kingston Re: First Elk - 09/29/19
Nice Bull! Congratulations!
Posted By: lone wolf Re: First Elk - 09/29/19
It's nice when all things come together after putting your time in. Congratulations! You have some fine table fare there, enjoy!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: First Elk - 09/29/19
Good Bull! Congratulations!
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: First Elk - 09/29/19
Awesome
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: First Elk - 09/29/19
Congratulations! Hard work paid off. Way to get it done.
Posted By: SPDSpappy Re: First Elk - 09/30/19
Congratulations!!!
Posted By: Scotty Re: First Elk - 10/01/19
Nice bull, congrats.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: First Elk - 10/01/19
Wow, I hope you had help at 7 miles in and 2000' above camp in what looks like warm weather. If you got that bull out and it's still edible you are one tough SOB and my hat is off to you! Good job.
Posted By: WL205 Re: First Elk - 10/02/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Wow, I hope you had help at 7 miles in and 2000' above camp in what looks like warm weather. If you got that bull out and it's still edible you are one tough SOB and my hat is off to you! Good job.

No, I am not that tough....It was the hottest day of our 12 day hunt, temps reached 80F that afternoon. I shot the bull at 10:15a, we waited 30 minutes and began tracking, he made it around 200 yards before expiring. Luckily, he laid in the shade or the outcome might of been different. My hunting partner went down to camp and led the mules back up while I quartered and bagged the meat. We led the packed mules back to camp where we had a nearly ice cold spring rushing out of the ground 100 yards away. Knowing we would not make the 7 miles back to the truck without spoiling the meat we decided to lay the bagged meat in the spring. We chilled the meat overnight and packed it all out the next morning. The pack out from camp to the truck was 4.5hrs, so even though I would of preferred not to soak it in water, I believe it was our best option as all the meat remained unspoiled.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: First Elk - 10/02/19
Congrats!
Posted By: Wrongside Re: First Elk - 10/02/19
Cool! Congratulations!
Posted By: efw Re: First Elk - 10/13/19
Absolutely amazing work man congrats that’s super cool what a bad ass adventure!
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: First Elk - 10/13/19
Beautiful bull! I love those sandy colored antlers.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: First Elk - 10/14/19
Congratulations.
© 24hourcampfire