Home
Posted By: Ebby WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Just wanted to follow up on my WY hunt. I asked for and got lots of good info on here before the draw and followed up some afterwards as well. Plenty of help from good people on here. I had an awesome day in the woods. I planned my vacation so that I could hunt the last 10-11 days of the archery season coming from TN and also had some time off in Nov if need be for the return trip for rifle. I went out this summer and scouted several areas with my 13yr old son and we hung some cameras and learned our way around a little. I went back on Sept 18th to start hunting the morning of the 19th at my number one spot. I got in there and heard my first bugle a few hundred yards away right at daylight. I didn't kill that bull but heard lots of bugles and was into elk most of the day. Caught up with this guy about 4pm. Made a good shot and he ran about 4-500 yards and piled up. Not the biggest bull I saw but a great bull none the less. Then the work began! I was alone and not quite 3 miles from camp. Lots of work to break one down and cape him out and pack him out alone. Fun times though! Heaviest load was 124.4lbs. Hauled him out using my Exo K3 4800. Pack did great. Bow was Prime CT5 at 30" draw and using Easton Axis 5mm Match grade with iron will collars and the Sever 2.1" head. Arrow weight was 540 grains and speed was 273fps. Very pleased and happy with this set up. My first archery elk and my first solo backcountry trip. First time to hunt the Elk rut and it was magical even if I was only out there for one day basically. Here are a few pics. My buddy showed up the next day (of course!) and we spent a few days looking for a cow for him and just goofing off in the woods. Had a blast.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
That's a damn fine bull. Congrats!!
Posted By: Bill_N Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Beauty - Congrats!
Posted By: handwerk Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Wow, great bull...thanks for the post.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Nicely done!
Posted By: stevevan1 Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Having lived in Wyoming for 25 years that is a heck of a bull! And with stick and string. Congrats
Posted By: kingston Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Wow, just wow!!!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Wow....you did good
Posted By: 1minute Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Good bull there.
Posted By: memtb Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Heck of a bull....Congrats! Looks pretty darn “heavy” horned. I’d be proud to call him mine! memtb
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
That's a good bull..
Did you buddy get his cow?
Posted By: Ebby Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
He did not. His tag was a rifle private land only tag. We couldn’t find any cows on land we had access to and couldn’t gain access to land we saw a few cows on. He wasn’t super worried about it. Just got the tag to “justify” coming out. We could have killed some on public most likely but his tag wasn’t good there.

Lee
Posted By: SLM Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Love the dark antlers.

Congrats.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
That is super nice! Heading to northern Idaho next week hoping to find a similar one. A wolf would be a nice bonus.
Les
Posted By: Whelenman Re: WY elk Kill - 09/29/19
Nice bull. What city were you near?
Posted By: Gristle Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
Excellent!
Posted By: smokepole Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
Wow, and congrats! Those horns look heavy.
Posted By: Judman Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
Nice work!!!
Posted By: Judman Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
You end up going guided or you skirt around the private ground?
Posted By: lvmiker Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
That is a wall hanger for sure. 1st day, w/ a bow, what are you doing next year to top that? Congrats on a great hunt.

mike r
Posted By: Ebby Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
I went unguided. Hunted on public ground. Rented a cabin to stay in on private ground but there weren't any elk on the private. It was a little piece.

Lee
Posted By: bwinters Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
That is a heck of a nice bull!
Posted By: 79inpa Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
did you get a pass through on that beast of an animal?
Posted By: Ebby Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
I did not. Shot was long and at a steep angle and quartering away. Had about 8” or arrow sticking out on the entrance side. He still bled pretty good despite the high entrance wound, downward angle, and only one hole.

Lee
Posted By: pointer Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
Very good bull!! Congrats on putting all of that together. Well done.
Posted By: pete53 Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
congrats very nice bull !
Posted By: 805 Re: WY elk Kill - 09/30/19
Congrats buddy!! Heck of a bull!
Posted By: Brad Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
Neat bull. Good job.
Posted By: lone wolf Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
Very nice bull! Way to go.
Posted By: WL205 Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
wow!!!
Posted By: Whitebird Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
Fantastic.... well done
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
Ebby,
That is a beautiful bull and a very concise and well written story! You did GOOD!!

You really didn't need to include the info about the 125# backpack load...now my back and hip and knees...and lots more...really hurt.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
Congrats! That is an awesome bull in any state, gun or bow, rut or no rut 👏
Posted By: Scotty Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
That is a nice elk.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
Congrats and thanks for sharing. That's a fine bull anywhere and a great accomplishment.
Posted By: SKane Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
Lee, that's fabulous. Well done, man! Well done!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: WY elk Kill - 10/01/19
Having hunted elk archery for a decade or two myself I can really appreciate the elk and your preparation skills. Very, very well done.
Posted By: Takman Re: WY elk Kill - 10/03/19
I’m always amazed how the archery hunter gets so close. Great hunting and congrats.
Posted By: efw Re: WY elk Kill - 10/04/19
Awesome story and amazing bull congrats!
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: WY elk Kill - 10/04/19
Congrats on a damn fine bull !
Posted By: wageslave Re: WY elk Kill - 10/04/19
Nice.
Posted By: stealthgoat Re: WY elk Kill - 10/05/19

Ebby, that is a great story. I really enjoyed the pictures, beautiful country there. Different experience than chasing our Middle TN white tails !
Posted By: bboy80601 Re: WY elk Kill - 10/05/19
That’s a great looking bull!
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: WY elk Kill - 10/06/19
Any elk with a bow is a great accomplishment and yours in a monster! So for my buddies, what was the broadhead you used?
Posted By: Ebby Re: WY elk Kill - 10/06/19
I used a Sevr 2.1” mechanical. I had practiced with the Ironwill heads and that’s what I’d planned to use. I took the mechanical to use on follow up shots and I knew they shot well and worked great on deer. This shot ended up being a steep downhill angle and there was some wind and it was a longish shot so I decided to grab the mechanical. My arrow weight was 535 gr and my speed was 273fps so I figured I had enough kinetic energy to use the mechanical. It worked really well.

Lee
Posted By: claybreaker Re: WY elk Kill - 10/06/19
From one Tennessean to another Congrats!! that is one fine bull. Love the dark antlers along with the great mast.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: WY elk Kill - 10/06/19
Beautiful bull. Love those dark antlers.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: WY elk Kill - 10/06/19
That's a sweet bull right there!

Congrats!
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: WY elk Kill - 10/07/19
Beautiful bull Congratulations
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: WY elk Kill - 10/11/19
Lee,
Congrats on a great bull!
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: WY elk Kill - 10/12/19
Nice bull
© 24hourcampfire