Home

It's always nice when the Campfire is good for something other than guys personally insulting one another over choices in optics....or some other such foolishness. In this case, it (Campfire) was the conduit to a friendship that brought us together to share the wilds of Idaho.

Story and more photos to come when the season is over. Don't have time give a proper description at the moment, as I just dropped Tim off at the car rental place. He's headed back to Michigan, and I'm headed back up to the mountains to try and fill my own tag. It was a pretty epic hunt and he was a rock-star on this general season, OTC tag hunt that runs about 12% success rate. We had a great time and he's a heck of a guy to hunt with. More pictures and details to follow later I promise.

In the meantime Tim, feel free to jump in and regale everyone with the full breadth of your badazzness on this occasion if/when you see this. Talk to you in a couple of weeks when I get back out of the hills buddy, and drive safe.

Dave

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Awesome work gentlemen that is a great success story both of elk and of finding a good guy here to hang with! There are many here...
1+1=3.
Well done!
Sharing a hunt is almost always a little better, sometimes a lot better.
Dandy bull and a great picture!!
Nice work!!
Beautiful bull! Congrats!
Great work gentlemen, what a beautiful bull...can't wait for the rest of the story!
What a great bull! Congrats!
Great bull and country. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the details. Congratulations! Looking forward to "the rest of the story".
What a great post! That is why I enjoy the CF. Hunting and fishing and the outdoors is actually the intended purpose of this site. We sometimes forget this.

mike r
Congrats...nice bull.
Beautiful bull. Love the dark antlers. Looks like it could have been a tough pack out if he got into the wrong spot.
Congratulations
Glad it all worked out. Congrats on the bull.
Congrats, and what a great photo. Steep country there.
Alright! Well done gents!
Glad for you Tim!
Looks like steep country. congratulations
A great bull deserves a great story. Looking forward to it.
Congratulations on a nice bull. Headed to Idaho to hunt deer this week. Great state to hunt and fish.
Congrats - thats a fine bull. Looks to be a bit steep in the background wink
Thanks guys! It was an incredible hunt.

Dave was able to come hunt with me on our Illinois farm a few years back and it was great to join him on his turf this time! I've hunted a few elk and been around a number of decent elk hunters, but Dave's knowledge, experience, and commitment to getting on bulls in the backcountry is truly next level stuff! I'll wait for him to chime in and regale you all with the full story (as his writing greatly surpasses mine) but just a few details:

Shot: 455 yards in steep country
Rifle: Shaen custom 6.5 PRC Kimber Montana (Brux, 23", tad heavier contour than factory)
Bushnell LRHS
Horn 143 ELDX (found 2 perfectly mushroomed under off-side hide, and the 3rd smashed the sternum and was not retrieved)
Packing the quarters, straps and rack 4 miles out (one-way!) my new Mystery Ranch Pitkin was great.
More to come... stay tuned.

Originally Posted by Brad
Glad for you Tim!

Thanks!
I actually snapped this and Dave and I both intuitively called it "the Brad pic"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Damn! I nearly spit all over the screen!
Originally Posted by TDN

Originally Posted by Brad
Glad for you Tim!

Thanks!
I actually snapped this and Dave and I both intuitively called it "the Brad pic"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tim, Dave,
That’s a cool hunt in some beautiful country. From what I’ve read of iddave’s elk hunts - He usually suffers after the shot is made in West Coast style.

Great hunt you guys! 😎

PS

Brad only slums a 308 Win and always puts a mask on his bull for Home Land Security purposes. 😬
Great pic Tim,
they sure have some weird looking snow in that country....
Great job guys....

I suspect packout was fun but at least it appears downhill..grin ..
Well done!
Wow,lots o snow on the caps,lol
pretty bull,conrats
Great pic of a well earned bull.
Well alrighty!! Great job men. Looking forward to Dave’s bull story soon.
Congrats on a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by TDN

Dave's knowledge, experience, and commitment to getting on bulls in the backcountry is truly next level stuff!

Truth.
Congratulations! These are the best threads. Good on you two!
Nice job! An otc bull is something to be proud of for sure.

-Jake
Wow.
Well earned.
Nice!!!!!
Congrats Tim! That Brad pic is awesome!
Your bull is even better.
Scott and Tim flatter me too much. I do okay, but there are dudes out there that put me to shame. I mostly find success outworking others. My “hunting” skills are quite average. More to come I swear, with some great photos of Tim.

We killed two more bulls on Monday and JUST got them out of mountains. Eating a pizza in mountain town now, then driving down to Boise to get my son and head back up to try and find one more bull before season ends. I’ll get all caught up pictures and stories after Rowdy’s hunt this weekend.

Everyone cross your fingers we can find something for my son....

Dave
Great news Dave...can't wait for the write / pics....good luck to Rowdy!

Excellent job Tim.....

[Linked Image from emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Thanks Al! appreciate it.
I just saw this thread. Nice Bull and nice going Tim (and Dave)!
Good deal. Always like the way antlers look that were rubbed on burned stems.
Nice!!!
© 24hourcampfire