Home
This will be a a bit of a read, but I'm a little bit on cloud nine, a little bit in shock, and mostly still wondering if I'm awake.

So early last July I found myself retreating from the heat at the Wharf in Gulf Shores AL with my Father in Law and Brother in Law in a jerky shop. It was near 100* outside, the wives were dragging us all over the place, and I was sweating out my shirt at a plump 245ish pounds. It was cool inside that jerky shop, a nice relief from the heat for a big boy. As we tried samples we were admiring the taxidermy. One was a very nice bull elk, I wish I had taken a picture of it. I was staring up at it, wiping sweat off my face, standing next to my FIL.

"I'm gonna hunt those, one day" I said to my FIL. He replied something about how expensive it had to be, and wished me luck.

That evening I got on this forum, Rokslide, and some others and started a journey. I already had an account here, but that was more for equipment research for whitetail hunting. Everyone down here in Alabama knows that the more expensive your rifle, scope, and camouflage is the better the hunter you are. I was already 7 months into a Cooper 92 280AI that I dropped a god awful amount of cash on to make myself a better hunter, of course. Welp, got that checked off.

What else do I need? Never carried a pack whitetail hunting. $100 Alps on Amazon? That'll work. Wait no, a Tenzing looks cool. Wait no, the forum says Kifaru or die. Wound up with a Kifaru Reckoning for that first fall, thanks again Rokslide.

Where do I go? What's a tag? How do I get one? Regulations? What are regulations? In Alabama you buy your $25 license every year and that's it. Don't shoot one after dark or on the neighbors land during the 4.5 month season and you'll be golden.

I settled on CO. Not sure why, just seemed like the logical landing pad for the easiest route to get started. Of course I started looking at units in the SE corner of the state. Started crunching % of public land, success rates, etc. This gradually led me more into the interior of the state. I ordered piles of maps to pour over at home. I wound up picking a unit near Gunnison, and a particular area in that unit just based on the fact people said you shouldn't go there. Seems to have worked.

Meanwhile, had to get to work on my fat a$$. Got a gym membership, and me and a buddy started working out before work every day. Started eating a lot better too. Weight came off quickly at first. By the time we were leaving for our first hunt in October for 2nd rifle season, I was down from 247 to 213 lbs.

I should also throw in a blurb about my awesome friends. When I started this journey I hedged my bets and started asking all of my close friends to go with me. Within a week I had a truck full of loyal commits that I knew wouldn't back out. My very first hunt I would be the only tag holder but had 3 buddies with me to camp and haul meat if needed.

So we struck out to this hell hole in CO, none of us had ever even seen the rocky mountains. Green and full of excitement, we drove straight through from SE Alabama to Gunnison, almost 26 hours. We hiked in on opening day of 2nd rifle, set up camp, and then hunted no more than 2 miles or so from camp. Found a good bit of sign, and one evening from one glassing spot my hunting partner spotted some cows but before he could get me looking at the same spot (miles away) they were gone. I would never see an elk on my first elk hunt.

However, I did see a ton of beautiful scenery and I loved every second that I was there. We also returned to camp one day to find two new tents next to us. A couple of guys from Arizona were packing out a bull, and had come upon our spot, the only flat spot for miles. Turned out to be awesome guys, and they really perked our spirits up by giving us some meat that we cooked in camp, a 4 point shed they found that now hangs in my trophy room as a memento from my first elk hunt, and, most importantly, let us fondle and take pics with the 300" 6x6 they had killed! We wound up helping them pack out some of the meat, each of us took 30-40 pounds up the hard part of the pack out on one day for them. We remain in touch with those guys to this day.

So, we went home from that first trip excited and planning the next one. A year of gear upgrades, working out, and incessant planning followed. We decided that me and one of the guys who went on the first trip would put in for first rifle for the same unit for 2019. We successfully drew with zero points and made a plan to return to the same area, but access it from many miles further to the north (and higher up).

This time we made sure to get in the area before season started. OnX said from the truck to the camp site was just under 4 miles - wrong. OnX had the trails wrong, it wound up being 5.6 miles. A bit of a difference. We hunted HARD the entire season. In the first 4 days we were averaging over 10 miles per day on the boots. Saw piles of mule deer and grouse but no elk. Saw plenty of fresh sign so we knew they were around. Only ran into 1 other hunter, saw a couple more in the distance.

On the final day we decided to hunt a small drainage we hadn't been to yet. We got set up well before light, but as the sun came up it was apparent we hadn't chose the best spot to glass from as we couldn't see much other than a small bench. However, we could see up and to our right way off the back of a ridge we had sat Monday morning that we knew had expansive beautiful views that was very hard to get to. About an hour after legal light we decided to head to that ridge to atleast have some good views for the last morning of hunting.

We got there, and got set up. Just as we got some food out for breakfast I noticed movement around 800 yards away way up a drainage to the right. Elk! Deer! It was 4 mule deer does followed by 8 elk, 6 cows and 2 spikes. We had seen elk! We followed them through the binos from one drainage to the next. Content with the trip now, we sat still in happiness.

Wait...whats that in the drainage straight across from me? 2 more cows! Wait, no, 3 cows! As I'm staring at them through the binos, my hunting partner is apparently looking at the drainage to the left of the one with the cows in it.

"Chris there's your bull!" he says. "WHERE?!?!" He guides me over to the next small drainage and I catch a glimpse of a bull. The first branch antlered bull I'd ever seen in my life. Now I put the bino's down, he's legal, no need to look at the rack again. I turn my KDC tripod into a bipod for my rifle (very slick setup that works very well). By the time I get the rifle up he has disappeared, but my hunting partner says he should be coming out in the small drainage I was originally looking at, which is closer to us. A tense few minutes pass.

A bugle rings out! LOUD! The first one I'd ever heard! There's the bull! Another bugle rings out from behind him, but it wasn't near as loud or deep sounding. I range him at 310 with angle correction (he is well below us), dial my SWFA 3-9 up 0.9 mils per my chart, and try to get steady. I'm almost in tears as I tell my hunting partner that I'm too nervous to shoot. He does his best to calm me.

I squeeze the trigger so hard I start to turn the rifle before I realize the safety is still on. Doh! I take the safety off, take a few deep breaths, and squeeze again. "HIT!" my hunting partner exclaims as the bull staggers forward. "HIT HIM AGAIN!" he says, as the bull steadies himself I pump rounds 2 and 3 so quickly it sounded like an automatic weapon. The bull staggers forward a couples steps and drops down on his belly behind some brush. We are watching him through the binos, I'm shaking so hard I can't even tell if I'm looking at a mountainside or the sky.

A lot of cuss words were said, a lot of hollering, and a lot of me asking "IS HE DEAD MIKE!?!?!?" over and over as I still can't stop shaking. Mike checks him again and notes that he is trying to lift his head. I run about 40 yards down the ridge to my left to set up for a clear shot around the brush. I put #4 into him and he lifts his head up and rolls onto his back, his last mortal move. He then slides down the ridge he is laying on...hits an aspen and stops. Then he slides around that tree, and out of site into the dark timber below the small opening...please don't be a cliff I am praying to myself.

We gather our things and it takes us 45 minutes or so to through the main drainage in front of us and back up to where we had last seen him. He had stopped sliding right at the edge of the dark timber thanks to some small spruce trees there. Holy moly, what a bull! Never dreamed of killing any bull, let alone one like this.

What do we do now?

We get his left rear leg tied to a tree and go to work, my phone said the slope we were on was 53*. Text our other hunting party on the inReach - their reply: "PACK MULES OTW!!! HELL YEAH!!!" Man is it nice to have great friends! After a couple hours of Mike and I breaking him down the other party arrives, we take a lot of pics and continue cleaning him. Tied a tarp to a small spruce and two of us put the quarters/straps/trimmings on it while the other two of my buddies deboned and bagged them up.

Camp was 2.8 miles away. The first route we took was ill advised and was a deadfall hell. We came back for the 2nd load using the same route we had hunting and getting to the bull that morning and it was steeper but a little shorter and much clearer. I did take a tumble down the hill in the main drainage about 40-50 feet, lost a lot of stuff out of my pockets but didn't break anything, not sure how. If not for the dead elk I'm sure that would have been demoralizing but I was still full of adrenaline haha.

We got the last load to camp a little after midnight, and passed out. The next day (Thursday). We got the first load of meat the 5.6 miles and 1900ish vertical gain feet to the truck and was already near dark and we were out of food. We decided to go to town for ice, a hot shower and a hot meal. Maybe a Coors or two as well. Friday morning The Weather Channel said that there was a 35% chance of snow at 10 AM in our area. As we went down the forest service road towards our parking area in the dark is started snowing...and it never stopped. By the end of the day we were trudging through 5-6" of snow with the last load. And then, as it got dark, we realized that with 2 100 quart coolers, 1 110 quart cooler, and 1 60 quart cooler all full of meat and cape, the rack would not fit in the back of the truck! So, thankfully I had a roof rack on my camper shell and we devised a way to fit it to it after taping up portions with pre-wrap and medical tape to prevent it from rubbing. That's where he rode the whole 1650+ miles back to Alabama, got plenty of looks on the way home!

Anyway, on to the pics:

On the way in:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The boom stick:

The first elk I've ever seen!

First pic at the kill site!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/6Ka6ZhI.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/MMXvsDq.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ctRAwQT.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/NEMGhxZ.jpg[/img]
That's awesome! Congrats!
Beautiful bull - congrats to you! That looks like some awesome country as well. Overall it appears you had a great adventure and a fantastic bull.
Great write up. Congrats!

If not doing a skull mount, you can cut the antlers off the skull, assuming thats legal, I think all of CO has points restrictions if anything, not spread like our moose do, and measure spread, then cut the skull plate in half and much much easier to pack. In fact I do it that way on moose once out of the field and clamshell them together to put on the plane for the flight to TX if I am flying antlers back for any reason.
Great bull!!! Sincere congrats.
Nicely done
Awesome job Chris! Congrats again on the great bull man!
Thanks everyone!

Forgot one of my favorite pics:

Dude!
What a blast to read.
You can feel the wonder and enthusiasm.
Huge congrats.
You're hooked------You'll be back God's Country next October.
Dang man this is a VERY inspiring post sir thanks so much for putting it up! Awesome pics and just amazing story. Very cool how it motivated you to get into shape and you’ve kicked some ass!

Great work that’s pretty hard core!
Way to go!! Stud bull too!

Congrats!
Congratulations... great story and pics!
It doesn't get any awesomer than that.

Nice bull and good job. Nice to have good buddies.
Not sure why the last 4 pics won't load in the OP, lets try again:

Also, a link to the RE: thread referenced:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cs/12968398/1/ive-never-been-elk-hunting
Congrats Chris!!!! I'm sure you know that you may never top that one. I read every post in your thread last summer as I was preparing for my first elk hunt about the same time you were and had a lot of the same questions. Like you, I was unsuccessful in my first hunt, and I did not get a chance to go back this year due to some family commitments. I'm working now on planning my next trip possibly in 2020 or 2021, and I can only dream of killing a bull like that. Thanks for the write up and sharing the pics.
Congratulations!!!! Well done and fantastic bull!!
Good for you, that a really nice bull you got there.
Originally Posted by Huntr
Congratulations!!!! Well done and fantastic bull!!

I am sure that stirs your memories of running the hills we enjoyed a few years ago! I may have to revisit "cardiac hill".

Congrats Chris!!
You wrote a great post had great pics and it stirs those embers of those who want to go elk hunting as well as those who have been elk hunting!
I have successfully hunted cow elk but never went after a bull.....yet! You might have changed that!

My wife still says that is the best game meat I have brought home! Hope ya'll like it as much as we did!
Chris I smiled so hard reading your thread I can’t tell you... Happy for you man.
Helluva bull there, congrats.
Perseverance is a wonderful thing. Way to go!
This is great stuff. Thanks for posting that. Best post I've seen on here in a while. The smile in that grip and grin is priceless.

BTW- that's a hell of a first diy public land bull. I don't know anyone who's first was that big.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.
Those buddies you got are great to have. How many of them putting into the draw next year?
That is a stud bull! Good job.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Those buddies you got are great to have. How many of them putting into the draw next year?

Probably two, with the understanding that if a bull goes down late in the season that the other tag holder is out of luck. That’s how it worked out this time, my bud with the spectacular mustache had a tag but was running to the scene to debone and pack meat when he heard my shots. Splitting up in groups of two significantly ups our odds is the way we look at it.
Great job man ..

That is simply what it's all about.....

Life lessons were learned I suspect. Killing an elk with buds, hard packout, and smiles at the end. Doesn't get much better.

Smiling still for you.
Right on , Right on and Right the Phug on!! That is a wonderful bull and I do believe I know that unit and its a beast ! Great stuff man!!
Nice Bull
Hell of a hunt Chris, it doesn't get any better. Hell of a write-up, and pics too, it seems you have a knack for that.

This part was my favorite: "I did take a tumble down the hill in the main drainage about 40-50 feet,"

I've taken a few tumbles myself, but 40-50 feet?? You must be livin' right, keep doing what your'e doing!
Chris,
Your hunt story was one of the best I’ve read...I’m beyond stoked for you making a journey that ended, maybe, it actually has just begun with an excellent bull down...Huge congratulations and jumping high 5. Nice! 😎
Originally Posted by smokepole
Hell of a hunt Chris, it doesn't get any better. Hell of a write-up, and pics too, it seems you have a knack for that.

This part was my favorite: "I did take a tumble down the hill in the main drainage about 40-50 feet,"

I've taken a few tumbles myself, but 40-50 feet?? You must be livin' right, keep doing what your'e doing!

Yeah I had slipped and fallen down a few times, but that one was a scary moment. Thankfully the bottom of that hill slopes gently into a very small creek, the same fall on some of the hills we were one would have terrified me. But yeah, I went head over heels 3-4 times and had a trail of debris to follow lol
Holy smokes. This. Is. Awesome.

Thanks for sharing, and, congrats!
Hell of a bull and one hell of a story! Reminds me of the two fellas I ran into from
Pennsylvania in 2016 in Colorado one fella just shot his first bull he was like a kid on Christmas morning. The excitement he had was pretty cool..
Congrats on that bull! Thats a good bull for anywhere, a great bull for DIY in Colorado!

Take it from someone who hunted elk for 35 years...you can quit hunting elk now...you'll never top that one!
Awesome story, Chris!
Truly awesome stuff, very happy for you, very few things in life that measure up to that feeling of accomplishment
Great story and great bull... congratulations!
Very well done and well told!!
Bad ass hunt and story man. Congrats to you and thanks for sharing!!
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

LOVE that pic
Chris-----Only piece of advice-----You are starting to know the area-----Keep hunting that area----Get to know it like the back of your hand-----Keep hunting it while you have the lungs & legs to do it. FYI---That is probably the best bull you'll ever shoot.
Heck yeah, great story and a dang nice bull to cape it off. Thanks for sharing and good luck topping that set of antlers.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Chris-----Only piece of advice-----You are starting to know the area-----Keep hunting that area----Get to know it like the back of your hand-----Keep hunting it while you have the lungs & legs to do it. FYI---That is probably the best bull you'll ever shoot.

Thanks, that is indeed the plan, atleast until my 3 buddies all get themselves a bull. Then we may move on to another species in an easier area!
Simply incredible! You lived my dream and I can see the excitement in your eyes! CONGRATS!!!
Adventure of a lifetime! Congratulations and thanks for telling your story so well. Much enjoyed.
Hot damn!
Great bull and a great story!

Thanks for sharing!
Congrats, great story and pics, thanks for sharing!

Bob is exactly right. I hunted the same ranch for 25 years, you eventually learn when the elk outfox you...where they are going.

Intercepted a few that way...
Originally Posted by tzone

LOVE that pic

That's my favorite as well! That's one hell of an accomplishment for your first elk!
Awesome work Chris! Congrats. Good for you taking it seriously and getting in shape. Lifestyle change it seems like! Hunting in the mountains and packing out meat is not for the casual flatlander like us.

Lee
Great Job. I like the rack tied to the camper we always tied them to the racks on the 4 wheelers on the trailer on the way back to Missouri. None were as big as yours though.
Great bull! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the pictures and story. Memories that will last a lifetime in those pictures...
A great thread!

This inspires a guy from MS to look into this.

Congrats!
Hell of a hunt, hell of a bull, hell of a well-earned good time. Congrats man
Thanks all! Heres one of the best pics that I didn't have when I originally posted:

This is an awesome thread! Congratulations on an great hunt and great story. Well done. This last picture (all of them are great) is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing that.
Dude. That pic is amazing! You need that picture on your wall (my opinion of course). I like metal prints from Mpix but whatever, something to think about. There's a whole lot of good stuff summed up very well in that picture.
Wow! you done the imposssible and thanks for sharing it.
Great hunting story. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Awesome!!
Congrats Heck of a first bull!
Chris AU Great hunt story, great write up, great bull, and great photos. So happy for your sophmore success and thanks for sharing all of this with us. HH
Congratulations on a dandy Bull! Awesome story!
Great report - Congrats
Great story, Chris....and even better bull!

War Eagle!
So if that’s your Sophomore season you’ll have to work hard to beat it in your Junior season😉. Congratulations! Sometimes dreams do come true.
Great bull! What bullet did you use in that 290AI? I used the Speer 160 Hot Core in one back in '94
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Great bull! What bullet did you use in that 290AI? I used the Speer 160 Hot Core in one back in '94

Just saw this, 280 AI (I'm sure that's a typo), 160gr Accubond. Out of 4 only one didn't pass through, recovered it and assuming all the others looked like this, I won't be shooting anything else anytime soon. He only went probably 30 yards, but I had heard from Newberg and Rinella ad nauseam to keep shooting until he's done. First shot was easily registered as a hit by my hunting buddy, apparently it clipped the back of his front shoulder blade (bull broadside facing to my right). He stumbled forward a few steps not putting weight on that leg and then stood stationary with that leg held up a little, I then put #2 and #3 in him very quickly and he staggered forward a few yards and slumped down onto his belly behind some short brush. After that Mike kept watching him in his binoculars and within a minute he told me he had picked his head up, so I went down the ridge to my left and set up where I had a clear shot. That 4th one hit him and he rolled over on his back and slid down the hillside out of sight.

My favorite pic made the top 10 on the 2019 Rokslide/Kifaru Elk photo contest. If you happen to have an account I’d love the vote if you deem it worthy, and even if you don’t have an account there some spectacular photos to view in here!

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/member-vote-thread-on-2019-bull-elk-hunt-photo.153197/
Awesome!
Great!!!!
I'll vote for it smile
Well here's the final update to this story cool

Did you put in for this year? Nice mount smile

I did not, but my hunting partner did. I plan on packing his bull out this fall. I did get my small game license and plan on giving the grouse hell while we hunt!
Congrats on the mount Chris, very nice.
Very nice, congrats again
Nice bull and on a DIY hunt on public land in Colorado, you beat some really stiff odds to bag one like that. Great job telling the story. How’d those lowlander lungs and heart make out? 😀
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Nice bull and on a DIY hunt on public land in Colorado, you beat some really stiff odds to bag one like that. Great job telling the story. How’d those lowlander lungs and heart make out? 😀

Not too bad, I'd say legs were more the weak point ha. By the end of the week I'd have rather gone up vertically 1000' than down 100', dang knees.
It looks like a great room to spend some time relaxing in. Nice job on the story and elk.

I did not, but my hunting partner did. I plan on packing his bull out this fall. I did get my small game license and plan on giving the grouse hell while we hunt!

And done with this now...well 75% done, going back in for the last load. The original buddy who agreed to my crazy plan 2.5 years ago drew the same tag I had last year, and on opening morning he got this one 20 minutes after legal light. He had a couple dozen cows and was bugling his head off, awesome experience! Even crazier, my buddy was sitting exactly where I was when I shot mine, but shot him in a drainage a good 500+ yards closer to camp than mine which was great!

Heck yeah man
Well, you are hooked on elk hunting now.
Congrats!
You guys are on a run! Thanks for sharing!
Congrats to your buddy! That’s a cool bull.
Good going! First ones do look big.
Hesitated bumping this, but I went elk hunting again for the first time since 2020. Knocked down some Antelope and Mule deer in the meantime in 2021/2022. But 2023 was back to our "roots".

Nice bull! Looks like you things dialed in, congrats.
Good for you Chris!
Buy the looks of that country, you earned that one....
Congratulations on a great hunt. I especially like the rack tied to the top of the camper.
Congrats on your bull and work to get him! Way to go!
Excellent report, outstanding bull. I predict you'll never kill a bigger bull on public land. Tremendous memories. Congrats.
Well done sir! Congrats!!
Awesome thread all the way around!

Todd
Very inspiring , nice pics. You could become a sports writer, should you quit your day job! Do you have wild pig stories/hunts to share?? Alan
Awesomeness

Very well written.

Congratulations
just read the whole thread. well done Chris
Congrats on the great hunt and bull
OUTSTANDING, CONGRATS. I just read the entire thread. Great story, great pics. Thanks for taking me along. I enjoyed the read. Nice work.
Fantastic. Well done
Great story. Thanks for sharing.
have enjoyed reading all your elk hunting threads Chris. Wish I had got started hunting elk before I hit my fifties
Chris,

Congrats! Bull elk are just such majestic creatures…they seem to have an incredibly deep, almost magical hold on some hunters! Welcome to that club. Hope you outdo yourself next time, though that bar is pretty high. Great job sir. 😎
© 24hourcampfire