Home
Attn: Durango area Campfire forums members ! Does anyone know if the 87 yr old Oklahoma man was found ? He had been hunting near Delores and did not return off the mtn to meet his fellow hunters at pick-up time. Search and rescue had not found him after searching with rescue crew, bloodhounds and helicopters. He has been missing since Sat evening and the weather has turned colder. Anyone with news ? Thank you in advance. Google showed nothing positive for me. HH
Doesn't sound good. We lost an elderly hunter in Wyoming several years ago and no sign of him has ever been found, it was a heavily hunted area too.
At least perhaps he went out doing what he enjoys.
Prayers for his return to his family.
I live in Durango------No news on the missing hunter.
How many 87 year old people are in good enough physical condition to be safely hunting in rough terrain at altitude by themselves?
FYI-----It's Dolores. With an "O" -- I really like that town.
At 87, I’d consider myself fortunate to expire on an elk hunt.

Hope he’s not suffering.
Four days. Not good.

P
Thank you Colorado Bob... I thought I might have mis-spelled Dolores while I was lying in bed thinking of the older gentleman... praying he be found alive and safe.

Thank you all for your thoughts and input. Family claims the 87 yr old was sharp as a tack, a former principal.

For the familes sake... for closure... if the search & rescue is over, I hope they can recover their loved one. God Bless and comfort this family over the loss of a loved one. HH
Local newspaper still has him listed as missing. They said that they’re also using aerial searches. He set up camp about halfway between Dolores and Rico, to the east of 145. Some pretty rugged country in there.
John(dog)
I tell my wife often that I hope to go out of this life sitting on a mountain, sun on my face, rifle in my lap.

Hope they find the gentleman either way.
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
I tell my wife often that I hope to go out of this life sitting on a mountain, sun on my face, rifle in my lap.

I as well and told her to just leave me there happy.
Originally Posted by Hungry Horse
Thank you Colorado Bob... I thought I might have mis-spelled Dolores while I was lying in bed thinking of the older gentleman... praying he be found alive and safe.

Thank you all for your thoughts and input. Family claims the 87 yr old was sharp as a tack, a former principal.

For the familes sake... for closure... if the search & rescue is over, I hope they can recover their loved one. God Bless and comfort this family over the loss of a loved one. HH

Originally Posted by JohnDog
Local newspaper still has him listed as missing. They said that they’re also using aerial searches. He set up camp about halfway between Dolores and Rico, to the east of 145. Some pretty rugged country in there.
John(dog)

From what I remember camp was above 10k in that area and the ravines went down forever.
Originally Posted by fredIII

Told my wife the same thing a few weeks back when I was laying in the ICU, told her the animals have fed me all these years it was my turn to give back...
87 year old doing what he loved. I hope they find him alive and if he passed that they find his remains so his family can have closure.
Maybe he knew death was near and didn't want to be found...If that's the case more power to him...
John Dog: Thanks for the update on the missing 87 yr old, been too long for him now... not a promising end !

ndhunterman I also hope that when it it my time to go from this world ... I am hunting and happy in one of my happy places.

kroo88: I have seen google maps of that area you mention, I agree rugged country and deep creek ravines.

Oldelkhunter I also hope they find him hopefully uninjured, but if not... finding his body will give the family closure.

Thank you men for your concerned thoughts. I hope for a good ending to this search. HH
I’ve hunted all over that area from Stoner Mesa to the east. It’s some serious rough country.
Prayers sent for the fella and his family.
Originally Posted by sgt217
Maybe he knew death was near and didn't want to be found...If that's the case more power to him...

I had a buddy that was joking about death one day coyote hunting w me. He was leaving later that day to go pheasant hunting.

He pheasant hunted the next morning and when they went to town for lunch he had a heart attack and died in the booth at the restaraunt.

I have a sneaking suspicion he knew what was coming.

Still bugs me a little that I watched him miss a chip shot at the last coyote he ever shot at.

Hope they find the gentleman no matter what the case may be.
Not a bad place to leave this earth, if you're ready to go.

Hope they find him, one way or the other, for his sake and for the sake of his family.
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by fredIII

Told my wife the same thing a few weeks back when I was laying in the ICU, told her the animals have fed me all these years it was my turn to give back...

I told my wife the same thing and she said, "hell, let's go now and I'll loan yoiu my rifle."

DIdn't quite know what to make of that.......
https://the-journal.com/articles/156381-elderly-hunter-still-missing-in-san-juan-national-forest

Just some details, information and photo on the missing hunter Alvie Webb... still missing from a google search this evening 10/26/19. I hope he is found for the family. God Bless elk hunter. HH
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by sgt217

I had a buddy that was joking about death one day coyote hunting w me. He was leaving later that day to go pheasant hunting.

He pheasant hunted the next morning and when they went to town for lunch he had a heart attack and died in the booth at the restaraunt.

I have a sneaking suspicion he knew what was coming.

Still bugs me a little that I watched him miss a chip shot at the last coyote he ever shot at.

Hope they find the gentleman no matter what the case may be.

Yep we are a bit OT here. But... knowing can happen I think.
We ran a CPR on a guy, attended his best friends wedding, I think they were late 50s early 60s. Said it was the best thing he had ever been too and if he died that night it would be just fine. Went to a small local wine bar. Left and collapsed on the way out the door. I got there and he had not moved, we did our best. I think he did his best too.

Same here. I've seen too many ugly ways to die old. Dealing with that and Mom right now. We've been told two weeks at the outside. If it were me, I'd say two weeks is two weeks too long.

At this point there is little hope for finding him alive. Best wishes for his family.
I know that area, and that road very well. very "big" country and very, very rough.

hard to imagine an 87 year old being in the shape needed to hunt it. Godspeed, brother. good views from that ridgeline.
Just back from there. On Wednesday I heard the helicopters for quite a while. Drove that exact road on Monday or Tuesday but didn't see any searchers and had no indication anything was going on.
if this old hunter has past ,he is the lucky one. no Elim home, no hospital only the joy of a last hunt. bless him ,its the way i hope to go too !
Updated story but hunter remains missing.
It was perhaps 10 years ago that the skeleton on a hunter in adjacent unit 74 was found after being missing for 30 years.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/299912-hunter-age-86-remains-missing-in-san-juan-national-forest
Originally Posted by Alamosa
It was perhaps 10 years ago that the skeleton on a hunter in adjacent unit 74 was found after being missing for 30 years.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/299912-hunter-age-86-remains-missing-in-san-juan-national-forest

Were Bloodhounds used? I know their noses work better in moister air but still hard to believe he was not found had one been used. Hopefully he did not suffer .
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Were Bloodhounds used? I know their noses work better in moister air but still hard to believe he was not found had one been used. Hopefully he did not suffer .

The article just says K9 Search and Rescue.
Duh, I missed that although it might have been shepherds and labs but who knows. Thanks for pointing that out . It would be a miracle to find this man alive at this point, but if they did find him he would on a year long celebrity tour of all the major networks for sure. I just hope they find him hopefully alive for the sake of his family..
Don't take this wrong but I'm not sure why so many think finding one dead vs alive is always such a bad thing. Often in reality its not, its the best thing. In certain situations.

Death is not such a bad thing as we make it out to be.
Comes for all of us.

There's certainly worse ways you can go than hunting elk at 87

-Jake
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Comes for all of us.

There's certainly worse ways you can go than hunting elk at 87

-Jake

As long as it was quick, like a heart attack, instead of the fear and confusion of getting lost, followed by death from exposure.

P
I remember that one abiut the guy lost for 30 years. Wonder if there was any family to even notify. From what i remember they found cartridges but not his rifle
I am hoping that this guy shows up to his own funeral with a fresh 6×6 rack
Death completes the circle of life. If you had the opportunity to complete it on your terms - I'd consider it a gift from God.
A recent update but nothing has changed.
It is however a good summary of events.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/search-suspended-for-elderly-hunter-missing-in-colorado-mountains/
Have they found the ones in Utah and Wyoming?
How far can an 87 year old guy with mobility problems go? Can't believe bloodhounds had no luck. Seems like he woulda been found about 50 yards from where they dropped him off.
Originally Posted by wytex
Doesn't sound good. We lost an elderly hunter in Wyoming several years ago and no sign of him has ever been found, it was a heavily hunted area too.
At least perhaps he went out doing what he enjoys.
Prayers for his return to his family.

Charlie from Minnesota in Arlington Wy?
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
....hard to imagine an 87 year old being in the shape needed to hunt it.

Like has been alluded too throughout this thread, maybe not being in the shape "needed to hunt it", is exactly why he felt he "needed to hunt it". When my time comes, like others, I can't think of a better way or place to go. Our feelings or sadness are generally directed more toward those who are left behind.
Thank you Alamosa... for the update on our lost 87 yr old hunter Albie Webb. It is sad his body has yet to be found by rescue searchers, helicopters, or dogs. My deepest condolences and sympathy to his family. Lots of good thoughts on when it might be time to leave this world and enter the pearly gates. I enjoyed what 79inpa wrote, arriving at his funeral with a fresh 6x6 rack on his back... that would been an eye raising event, but perhaps The BigSky put it best: " He just needed to hunt it" ... one more time.

We ask now...God take & rest this old elk hunters soul !
I hope they find him for the family's closure. We are all terminal and God will call us back. I just hope for Jesus in everyone's heart and to be forgiven all our transgressions. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
How far can an 87 year old guy with mobility problems go? Can't believe bloodhounds had no luck. Seems like he woulda been found about 50 yards from where they dropped him off.

I find it amazing that bloodhounds could not find him. This is just a big mystery.
Any news on this gentleman?
Nope, maybe next year. Maybe in a couple more years. Won’t be anytime soon with snow in the ground.
I'm sure that many are thinking that he didn't intend to be found. Whether he's dead or alive today might never be known.
Sako 76 https://www.outtherecolorado.com/search-suspended-for-elderly-hunter-missing-in-colorado-mountains/

This is the last update I have seen on Alvie Webb. Sorry to report he is still missing. HH
Had someone go missing on the Mt Marathon race in Seward a couple years ago. Hundreds of people on that 2 mile (or whatever) bare rock trail. No trace has ever been found.
This sounds like one of those Missing 411 cases.
Any news on the lost wyoming and utah guys?

There is/was an older gentleman from Rock Springs that went missing in October 2018. His truck was found, badly stuck. As far as I know, he’s never been found! memtb
Are there predators in the area? Some folk think missing hunters/hikers might be the victims of cougars or bears.

P
Not a hunter but some of you might remember an older couple from Canada who were going to a conference in NV some years ago. They decided to take a 'shortcut' in so. Idaho and their GPS tried to accommodate them by getting them totally lost in very remote country in northern NV. They slid off a 1 track road into a small creek and got stuck in snow. The man tried to walk out. Shed hunters found the van 7 weeks later. The woman was still alive and in surprisingly good shape although a good bit thinner. Hunters found the man's body about 18 months later. He'd only got a couple miles before apparent hypothermia got him. IIRC, he'd also left the road to try cross country, something you never do in that country.
Originally Posted by las
Had someone go missing on the Mt Marathon race in Seward a couple years ago. Hundreds of people on that 2 mile (or whatever) bare rock trail. No trace has ever been found.

I used to live in Seward. Watched that race those dudes are tough!
© 24hourcampfire