Home
Thought we could get discussion going with this topic since most of us have recently closed out our elk hunts.

With our hunts still recent in our minds. What is your elk hunting style and does your rifle match the way you prefer to hunt elk?

😎

Be prepared to defend your rifle. Grins
My methods of hunting are spot and stalk, still hunt and wait on travel corridors so the majority of shots for all big game are under 200 yds. Three of the last 4 elk were with a 30-06. After a spot and stalk the longest shot was ranged by partner at 175. This year was a muzzleloader (50 cal) at 130yds while watching a travel corridor. I spend a bunch of range time shooting at distance for practice but hunt much closer.
Not that I am an expert on elk hunting, having killed a grand total of 2 over the last 2 years.

My moving thru the timber rifle is a 338-06.

My sit and glass across a canyon rifle is a 7 WSM.

Both accounted for an elk at their intended purpose.

I guess I am happy in that regard.
For spot and stalk/run and gun, I use a 300 WBY with 26" barrel and a Swaro Z5. It has been great on bulls from bayonet range to 450 yards. It is my go to setup for all around elk hunting.

As a companion setup, I have a model 70 FWT in 300 WSM with the barrel cut back to 23" in an edge stock with a Swaro Z3. It is more backpack friendly and great for bugling hunts and timber.
Primarily when younger, I hunted dense timber moving slow,stopping often .Now at my age,it is mostly sit and watch.I hunt muzzle loader , 50 cal, because I like the warmer weather, but my primary rifle is a Pre-64 Winchester, Model 70 30-06 using 180 gr Partitions in open country and 220 gr RN in close areas.Went the 7mag route for a few years and found it didn't kill the many deader. More than few have fallen to the .06
Still hunt AM and mostly hunt isolated parks in the PM. My huckleberry is a 1968 Sako 338 with the original Bofors steel barrel, cerekoted in satin black. I put it in a McMillian “Sako” stock molded in GAP camo. She carries a Schmidt & Bender 3x12x50 and shoots just under a half inch at 100 yards with 225 grain North Forks and suits my style of hunting to a T.
Have been primarily using a Pre 64 chambered in 8x68S shooting 200 grain Partitions.
I like to get up high with the mules, spot and stalk or ambush.
My Elk rifle is also my sheep, goat and deer rifle.
Bighorn sheep are always #1 on my list.
These days I carry a Browning BLR takedown, .270 win. It is great horseback and when I don't need it , it is put away easily in two or three pieces.( quick detach scout scope) .
Heck, I can even bore sight the thing. I don't hunt the longer ranges, Bull elk must be 6 point, rams full curl.
It sometimes takes great scrutiny up close to evaluate. 400 yards is a long ,long shot.
If hunting elk in the timber I often use rifles the average hunter may think of as "perfect" for the job. But when hunting planes elk I am one that uses "timber rifles' at least half the time, just because I like them and I like to HUNT and sneak up on them.
So my "best" rifle for hunting in the open areas is probably my 300 Magnum, but to be open and honest, I usually only get it out after about 3/4 of the season is over, and then only if I have not killed my elk by them (which many times I do)
Even in the open sage and grass lands I hunt elk with iron sighted rifle many times and if the rifle has a scope, about 8 times in 10, I still hunt with cartridges that most hunters today think of as 'close range cartridges.
Iron sighted rifles I use both in timber and in the open are some of the following: A 303 British with 180 grain bullets, two 300 Savages with a 180 grain bullet, a 30-06 lever action with a 220 grain, Another 30-06,M1Garand loaded with 165 grain bullets and sometimes 220 grain bullets, an iron sighted 9.3X57 with a 286 grain. Even my 62 caliber flintlock or 44 magnum and 454 Casull handguns are used for hunting open country elk by me. Admittedly, not always successfully, but sometimes ------ and I really feel a lot better about kills I made after successful stalks and a shots of 150 yards or less then I ever felt about those kills I made as a younger man out past 700 yards.

My scope sighted "elk rifles" are my 2 "flat shooters " my 270 Winchester and my 300H&H, and my "not-so-flat shooters" that I hunt elk with are two 308s with 180 grain bullets, a 8X57 with 200 grain bullets, a scoped 9.3X57 with 250 grain bullets or sometimes 286 grain bullets, a 9.3X74R with 286 grain bullets, a 9.3X62 also with 286 grain bullets, and a 375H&H with 270 grain bullets. in the list of scoped elk rifles the one that would be voted "the best" by most hunters in American is actually the one I have killed the fewest elk with. The 300 H&H. My first elk was shot by me when I was very young, I think about 9 years old, with a 300 Savage M-99. That was 54 years ago. The caliber I have personally killed the most elk with, (all from one rifle) is the 375H&H and the caliber that is closest in "dead elk count" for me is the 270 Winchester, but from 4 different rifles. What I find odd is that of all the rifles I have ever used to kill elk the smallest (the 270s ) and the largest, (the 375H&H) are the only 2 I have never seen a bad result from and have shown be the fastest kills, bang-flops, as we call them today. The 375 would probably not surprise anyone, but the 270 is supposed to be the "low end" of power, yet I have seen more instant kills with that caliber on elk then any other but for the 375H&H. I can't explain that by science, but that's what my experience has shown me. There has to be a reason but I am just not sure what it is.

I love to HUNT and so I don't take the rifle that is easiest to make hits with at long range. I often (VERY often) use a rifle that makes me get within 300 yards of the elk, and most times I get much closer.
Any archer will understand the love of the hunt. I hunt with rifles and handguns the same way I hunt with a bow and arrow. I like to get close.

But I am not so dedicated that I will not "cheat' when the season gets short and I have not been successful. I have used the 300 Mags and my 270s to kill them too. I just don't start any season with the "flat shooters" and scopes. That makes the season far too short, and unless there is a pressing reason to get meat in the freezer and get back to work, I like to have my time in the field.

So when giving advice to those that come out to Wyoming to hunt elk I will often tell them to bring the rifle they can shoot best with, and in most cases that is a rifle that is coped and shoots pretty flat. If elk hunting is an "event" and not just part of normal life you should take advantage of what gear you can (as long as that is a real advantage and not something you may think is an advantage which actually is a hindrance.....which today are MANY) But knowing how to stalk and truly hunt if by FAR a larger advantage then a super flat fast rifle with some moon-viewing scope. It's always 98% the hunter and 2% the tool.
I normally hunt by watching trails and field edges, at first and last light. If hunting in the thick bush I still hunt slowly and often use a cow call. I always carry shooting sticks if walking in open country. If I find a distant elk, I stalk closer or call them in. I never take a shot farther than 200 meters. Most of my elk have been taken at half that distance or less. Many elk, perhaps most, have been shot just at the limit of legal light. I usually use a Sako AV in .35 Whelen loaded with good 250 grain bullets and equipped with a Zeiss 3-9x50mm scope. I set it on 4x or 5x and leave it there. Duplex reticle, no illumination or turrets or unnecessary stuff. The scope allows a good view under dim light conditions. The cartridge will reliably kill an elk with a minimum of tracking, and strong heavy bullets like the discontinued 250 gr. Speer Grand Slam usually produces an exit wound to help with tracking if necessary. If the bullet isn't bonded or partition or all copper or otherwise "premium" it MUST be heavy for caliber. I have no use for "ELD" long range bullets, in fact I don't mind round nose profile. I believe I've taken 24 elk in 26 years. The .35 Whelen rifle has accounted for about half of them. I've also used a .270, 7x57, 7x64, .308, 30-06, 8x75IS, .356, 9.3x62, .375 H&H, and .450-400 Nitro Express 3". I lost one wounded elk. ( gut shot) Can't remember missing any that got away. A few times I had to make up for a poor first shot with another quick effective shot.
I don't have to defend my choices, because I know they all work very well for me here in Saskatchewan. Your situation may be different. For me the key thing is to be able to shoot quickly without fussing, know where to aim, hit what I aim at, and use a bullet that penetrates without breaking up while expanding to about double original diameter. I like exit holes but they are not necessary.
Well, I guess first off I have to admit I'm a terrible elk hunter tired But I try never the less! For my rifle I always grab my KS Mtn rifle in .280. All the elk I have ever killed have been with that rifle so no reason to change now.

I think my main problem with hunting elk is I'm just not a patient person which I think can be helpful when hunting elk. Since I'm not patient I try to make up for that by covering as much ground as possible, which probably isn't always a good idea. But I keep doing it anyway and so far have OK luck with it. Just seems whenever I head out in the morning I just know elk are over that next hill, or in that next canyon I can't see into or maybe over that next hill after that laugh Its just getting tougher as I get older and the mountains keep getting steeper and the canyons deeper!!
I’m usually hunting big areas that are 5-7 year old clear cuts lined by dense timber. I will have either a 300 RUM or 300 Wby next to me.
My biggest strength for elk hunting has been scouting before opening day. I usually have a good feel where the animals will be at first light...I guess wrong sometimes, getting surprised by the elk either not there or they moved in a different direction from where I set up.

Next strength, and it’s one that can be purchased, is quality alpha glass. I’m good at finding elk bodies moving in the cuts or on the edges of the timber ahead of shooting light.

Knowing where to search with my glass has paid dividends for me a lot...I can see elk bodies usually before someone else, should I find myself in a competitive hunting situation, which is rare, but it does happen.

Just having that edge of locating the elk first gives me an advantage. I will laze the elk with my RF, hit my turret, and go straight to my scope to watch the elk until I can see horns.

I’ve already gotten a good range from my bins/rf and if I pick up an elk above or below where I had lazed in my scope, it’s easy for me to adjust off my reticle for the shot.

Now, I’m just looking for the right set of horns...Then press.

I’m a 30 cal mag lover for my elk country...I’ve shot 30 cals for over half my hunting life, and adding quality brakes to them have made a big difference in getting off a second follow up shot quickly, if I feel it’s prudent.

😎
I have used a 7mm Mashburn Super for about 6 years now with either a 160 at 3200 or a 175 at 3050. Before that and usually in the same gun case is a M70 338 Win Mag with 210 Sciroccos. Last year I added a 300 RUM to the mix. I hunt the thick areas of Idaho, the wide open areas of Western Wyoming to the triple canopy pines of the Bighorns, along with Mt Emily in eastern Oregon. Those three get shot to 600 yards so I feel pretty comfortable in the field with that as a max range. Mostly I’d guess my elk have averaged around 200-250 yards with some at 25 yards and some at the far side of 400. I know a bunch of others will work and I have to say I like the 300 RUM but haven’t taken an elk with it yet. All three are light enough to carry and settle down over my pack.

We have a mix of 270’s, 300 Wby, 300 Wins, 30/06, 338, 7 Mags and those seem to do what we need. The common ground is our group practices with the guns during the summer so we aren’t guessing too much after we know the range.

Great topic!
Beav, which bullets do you use in your Wby and RUM?
I enjoy glassing bulls on a faraway ridge heading into deep timber at first light , then spend the morning hiking to the location and slipping through the timber with binocs until I find them bedded. Old school gloss Rem 700 .270 Win shooting 160 partitions. Ancient 3-9 Leupold, always on 3.
Originally Posted by beretzs

B,
I shoot the same bullet in both, 180g Nosler Accubond. I was a devout Barnes TSX bullet lover for many years. I still feel they’re a great bullet for hitting heavy animals. I just happened upon a new rifle that wouldn’t shoot the TSX worth a damn.

I started looking for an alternative, and landed on NAB. What I noticed right away on elk, was I didn’t need a second follow up shot as often as I did with the TSX bullet.

Over time, I started switching over to Accubonds. I feel the NAB’s can cause a smidge more collateral damage from the additional bloodshot, especially on the chest sheeting then the TSX bullet.

Both bullets are lethal. Accubonds just seem to shoot accurately out of any of my rifles. 😎
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Thought we could get discussion going with this topic since most of us have recently closed out our elk hunts.

With our hunts still recent in our minds. What is your elk hunting style and does your rifle match the way you prefer to hunt elk?

😎

No defense of my rifle. It was made for elk hunting. From the cartridge (338wm) to the model (pre 64 model 70). All in a light accurate, well balanced crf. It doesnt get any better. Sorry.
Mostly spot and stalk, fairly open country with patches of timber some scattered trees too. Nothing flat. 300 win mag 25” barrel 6x36 leupold 200 NPs.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

😎

No defense of my rifle. It was made for elk hunting. From the cartridge (338wm) to the model (pre 64 model 70). All in a light accurate, well balanced crf. It doesnt get any better. Sorry.

It could get better....If I was shooting it. Grins 😜😎
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Mostly spot and stalk, fairly open country with patches of timber some scattered trees too. Nothing flat. 300 win mag 25” barrel 6x36 leupold 200 NPs.

Ralphie, you’ve done very well with 300 Win. Congrats, again on a good season. 😎

😎

It could get better....If I was shooting it. Grins 😜😎

Yeah, I'm sure it could:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My rifle really struggles sometimes...
No doubt, that is a fine hunting rig...😎
For around home, either my 338 or whelen, last several years been 50 cal musket
Ruger MKII SS/lam 338 Win Mag with 210gr Partitions. Mostly in broken country, with a fair amount of openings. Sometimes wish for my range, but other than that it's worked well for me.
Like most states, NM elk hunts can vary from wide open spaces to clubbing range, so tactics obviously change with the draw.

I prefer spot and stalk type hunts but play the draw odds and take a tag where I can get it.

That said, the majority of our elk have been killed lately with 50 cal ML, .243 Win and .308 Win.

Had intentions of killing one this year on a spot and stalk type hunt with a 6.5 Creed but pulled a dumb ass move and missed an opportunity at the the bull I was trying to kill.
For years I hunted with a .308 Win but switched over to a .35 Whelen in 1990 hunting in Montucky griz country. I guess that was influenced by Elmer Keith? Anyway, the Whelen has killed a dump truck load of deer and elk. The longest was 308 yards on a rag horn bull. Mine doesn’t shoot 200 grain bullets worth beans, so a 225 gr TBBC or Partition is the load. It’s still my go to hunting in WA.

Subsequently, after hunting more open country in NW Colorado, I switched to a 7mm Weatherby and a .300 Weatherby. Both of those dumped deer and elk pretty much where they stood. Most of my shots have been under 300 yards, although longer shots are sometimes the norm. 150 and 168 gr TTSX shoot well in the respective rifles. I’ve hunted with my Mark V .30-06 but have never had an opportunity on elk with it in my hands.

The .300 Weatherby is my first choice and wears very good glass with no turret twisting. Happy Trails
BSA,

What make of stock is that? I have a standard weight pre-64 in 30-06 that I'm considering a synthetic for. Don't like the grip radius of the original stock, and wouldn't mind shedding a little weight in the bargain either.
Most of my elk hunting has been spot and stalk. I like to spot elk by glassing distant openings early in the mornings, but I've found many of my elk by slowly stalking through the dark timber. For about 20 years I used my horses to pack a camp deep into elk country, and they were great for packing the elk out. I built my first elk rifle, a Herter's Model U-9 barreled action in .30-06 and a Herter's semi-inleted walnut stock, when I lived in NW Colorado. With that rifle I killed my elk with both 150 grain Hornady Spire Point bullets or 180 grain Sierra SP bullets. A few years after I moved to Montana I had that rifle re-chambered to .30 Gibbs and my favorite bullet then was 180 grain Nosler Partitions.

I killed my first elk with a .30-40 Krag and whatever factory bullets my Uncle gave me when I borrowed that rifle from him. I killed my only archery elk back in 1973 with a 10 yard spot and stalk shot with a Herter's recurve bow shooting a fiberglass arrow and a Bear broadhead. I killed one of my best 6x6 bulls with a 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullet from my .257 Ackley in the early elk season while looking for a ram in one of Montana's Unlimited bighorn sheep units. I've also killed elk with my 7 mm Rem mag shooting 160 grain Accubond bullets, and I killed my last two bulls with my .300 Weatherby Vanguard rifle shooting one with a Barnes 168 grain TSX bullet and the other with a 168 grain TTSX bullet.

I don't think that I have killed any elk with a shot over 300 yards.
Man no elk in my part of Alaska so I can’t even chime in on this bummer..
Beaver 10 (Mark), Though it appears, at least from the amount of elk hunting I did this year, I may not be qualified to answer your question. But, I will anyway.

Hunting Style: from “hair burning” distance to in excess of 500 yards, in a matter of minutes!

Rifle/cartridge/bullet suitability: Yes! memtb
A lightweight 6.5 CM, 270, 7-08, or 308 works for me. I want to be good at 50 yards in the timber or out to 550 in the open. Backpack hunting mostly. A Light scope in the fixed 6x or 3-9 category with a BDC reticle or turret on top.

B,
I shoot the same bullet in both, 180g Nosler Accubond. I was a devout Barnes TSX bullet lover for many years. I still feel they’re a great bullet for hitting heavy animals. I just happened upon a new rifle that wouldn’t shoot the TSX worth a damn.

I started looking for an alternative, and landed on NAB. What I noticed right away on elk, was I didn’t need a second follow up shot as often as I did with the TSX bullet.

Over time, I started switching over to Accubonds. I feel the NAB’s can cause a smidge more collateral damage from the additional bloodshot, especially on the chest sheeting then the TSX bullet.

Both bullets are lethal. Accubonds just seem to shoot accurately out of any of my rifles. 😎

Solid copy. If you can pass me along your loads for the RUM. I’d like to try em. Thank you.

Like the Accubonds a bunch. The 160 7mm is a death dealer for us.
Pre64 6.5-06 or 30-06 in McMillan edges. Timber hunting with shots from 15-220 yards to date.
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
BSA,

What make of stock is that? I have a standard weight pre-64 in 30-06 that I'm considering a synthetic for. Don't like the grip radius of the original stock, and wouldn't mind shedding a little weight in the bargain either.

It is a Brown precision poundR
Since elk hunting in Oregon positively blows, I just hunt with what I like to carry for miles, and that's a Savage 99 in 38-55, 284, or 358.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Since elk hunting in Oregon positively blows, I just hunt with what I like to carry for miles, and that's a Savage 99 in 38-55, 284, or 358.

You are telling me buddy. I hunt in a unit with a 4% success rate. I hunt an over the counter general season tag. A lot of people I know just take their rifles out for walks. BTDT many years myself... My boss goes to montana to hunt elk every year. He says, "those boys have it easy".... He won't hunt elk in this state...
Mostly spot and stalk, always on foot and packing out on my back,
If in Colorado it's my pre 64 M70 300 H&H ( 180 TTSX) in a Echols legend stock, , in that state that rifle has killed all but one of my elk, so I have to use it.
In Montana and elsewhere it's my pre 64 M70 280AI (145LRX) in a mcm edge stock.
Scoped these rifles weigh just shy of 8lbs. a weight that seems to work best for me.
I have averaged 190yds on 3 cow elk, here in Utah. I hunt the edges of dark timber/aspen groves. I sit/glass a lot. I shot my first with a Mod 70 FWT 30-06, running at 135 steps.( perfect set up, 2x7 scope, 23" Douglas #3, very lively) 2nd- sitting under a big spruce during snow, 200ydss, standing by beaver pond, 375 H&H ( sporter weight, Mod 700 BDL SS, just right for a .375.
3rd- lwt 338WM 250yds high up on a knife ridge. ( a rebarreled MGA lwt 340W that was "to light", scope killer) One time I carried a Mod 70 Express .375 H&H , wood stocked club all day. By late afternoon my arms were almost rubber! I shot a mule deer at 80yds, and "dropped the shot" with my tired little arms! It hit very low, broke the leg and cut a big gash through lower chest. I lost the track at dark, came back next day with the '06, jumped her up around 75yds. Then I went into town and traded it off. Too heavy for the mountains for me! I like a "light Sporter", if I use a non magnum, I use an appropriate Premium, usually a mono. The magnums I used were also being used in 3 trips to South Africa ( 96, 98, 2002) so I tried to get them "bloody" before the trips. They are fine for elk "if you can carry it all day and still shoot well at the end". ha
Originally Posted by handwerk
Mostly spot and stalk, always on foot and packing out on my back,
If in Colorado it's my pre 64 M70 300 H&H ( 180 TTSX) in a Echols legend stock, , in that state that rifle has killed all but one of my elk, so I have to use it.
In Montana and elsewhere it's my pre 64 M70 280AI (145LRX) in a mcm edge stock.
Scoped these rifles weigh just shy of 8lbs. a weight that seems to work best for me.

Off the topic some but what are the specs on your 300 Handwerk.. Just under 8lbs scoped sounds like an awesome build. My little brother is putting together a 300 Win on a 70 right now and I'd like to pass him anything I can to help him get the rifle a bit lighter. His is going into an EDGE shelled Legend as well.

You are telling me buddy. I hunt in a unit with a 4% success rate. I hunt an over the counter general season tag. A lot of people I know just take their rifles out for walks. BTDT many years myself... My boss goes to montana to hunt elk every year. He says, "those boys have it easy".... He won't hunt elk in this state...

I hunted NV a few years ago and Holy Smokes man, I'll never enjoy elk hunting Oregon again. Ruined me.
Maybe mine tend to be the reverse of spot and stalk, more like stalk and spot.
I would hike a lot and most often would see elk close and usually see them about the same time they would see me. Close encounters. If real close I would shoot offhand. If a little further then I'd sit wherever I was. A few seconds sounds very brief but is plenty of time to sit and take careful aim. I carried an old BLR that is well balanced and handles well. What helped most was an M8 4x scope that has real fast target acquisition. 7mag.

These days I can't hike that much and I've had to adapt. I'm most likely to post someplace with my Sendero and wait, also a 7mag. I would not want to carry it many miles. Practice for me at the range now is a whole lot different than it was with the BLR.
What stock is that, very nice!

B,

Solid copy. If you can pass me along your loads for the RUM. I’d like to try em. Thank you.

B,
That’s gonna be really easy...I loaded a couple years for both my RUM and my Roy, but I never got enough improvement over a box of Nosler Trophy Grade ammo.

I stopped loading for both...Sold my dies, too.

I do have 40 rounds of once fired and washed Nosler RUM brass that I’m happy to send your way, FOC, if you can use them.

I’ve got another 100 of the same, but, I’m going to sell them.

I was using Retumbo for powder.

PM me your digits and I will ship you the clean brass if you need some.

😎

B,

B,
That’s gonna be really easy...I loaded a couple years for both my RUM and my Roy, but I never got enough improvement over a box of Nosler Trophy Grade ammo.

I stopped loading for both...Sold my dies, too.

I do have 40 rounds of once fired and washed Nosler RUM brass that I’m happy to send your way, FOC, if you can use them.

I’ve got another 100 of the same, but, I’m going to sell them.

I was using Retumbo for powder.

PM me your digits and I will ship you the clean brass if you need some.

😎

What sorta speeds are you getting from them?

I can understand not wanting to mess around loading them if factory shoots so well. It has to be 3200+ with each and a bit more for the RUM
Chronograph showed

3262 FPS from my 300 RUM out of a 26” barrel

3237 FPS from my 300 Wby out of a 25” barrel

Both braked.

😎
I’ve hunted mostly by lots of glassing and stalking. Too old now for too much strenuous hiking. I’ve personally taken elk with a 7mm Remington, 300 Win, 300 Rum, & 338 WM, I’ve been with my son, son in laws, and good friends when they used 7mm STW, 30-06, 280 Rem, 300 Jarrett and probably a few others I’ve forgotten about. Now days I’ll likely be packing my 300 Win or my 7mm STW. Bottom line is all big game calibers will work if shot is placed properly. Strong well constructed bullets built for penetration is a must for me.
Others certainly have more elk experience than I. I've killed 7-8, all bulls but 1 - a 300 SAUM in a M700, a couple with a 300 WSM M70, a couple with a Kimber 270, a Kimber 308. I really like still hunting them in the timber and have killed most at less than 100 yards. I've killed a couple at less than 25 yards. It's hard to miss them at that range. wink

I tend toward flatter shooting cartridges in lighter rifles shooting a bullet that will stay together when one shows up close but still have a decent enough BC to shoot to 400 yards - which is about as far as I care to shoot in most conditions. I started with various 30 cals magnums but gravitated to smaller cartridges when I saw folks killing elk with them (its really Brad's fault.....). I prefer lighter guns due to far flung jaunts or backpack hunts. I dont seem to find many close to the road.
Chronograph showed

3262 FPS from my 300 RUM out of a 26” barrel

3237 FPS from my 300 Wby out of a 25” barrel

Both braked.

😎

Dang, not giving up much to one another there.
For the general season hunting that I do around here, longer ranges are the norm...though I do occasionally get some shots at less than 100 yards.

My last 5 bulls all died via 6.5X284 NORMA with either the 140 berger or before that, 140 AMAX. I am still searching for the best bullet but am no longer looking for the best rifle/cartridge.
Beretzs, it a mid 50's M70 300 H&H action,24" #2 SS Lilja in a edge fill Echols legends stock factory BM and a swaro Z3 3-10x42. without bullets it's 7 3/4 lbs, and loves to throw 180 TTSX's @3050 fps.

Even though it's a little snappy, I love the thing.

I hunted NV a few years ago and Holy Smokes man, I'll never enjoy elk hunting Oregon again. Ruined me.

Probably in the Ruby's. I grew up in nevada. A lot of nice mulies there as well..
Originally Posted by 257Bob
What stock is that, very nice!

Brown Precision poundR.

And yes, they are very nice.
Originally Posted by handwerk
Beretzs, it a mid 50's M70 300 H&H action,24" #2 SS Lilja in a edge fill Echols legends stock factory BM and a swaro Z3 3-10x42. without bullets it's 7 3/4 lbs, and loves to throw 180 TTSX's @3050 fps.

Even though it's a little snappy, I love the thing.

Thank you for that. My little brother is putting a 300 Win together with a Krieger #2, Echols Legend EDGE, stock bottom metal but it'll likely get a 3x9 SS on top, but otherwise the same as yours. Good heads up on the rifle weight though. I hope we can keep it to similar weights.

To me, that blued rifle, with a brown synthetic stock with the red butt/recoil pad is about the best looking setup there is. Nice pics.

Good thread Beav.
Tikka 06 with 3.5-10 CDS 168 tsx is my go to 99% of the time.
Spot and stalk, or sit at know sections where elk cross or bed near by.
Closets is less then 40 yards, furthest around 400.
My 270 with 130 ttsx is better long range gun...at least on gongs. When I sat over a Canyon this last season. There were shots pass my comfort zone of 600 yards. No lick luck if but I was ready.

Good stuff on hunt styles and some awesome pics of elk slaying rifles...Here’s my contribution with a few rigs I use on coastal hunts.

300 Wby

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

300 RUM

BAR 300 WSM

Win. Model 71 348

😎
Good stuff on hunt styles and some awesome pics of elk slaying rifles...Here’s my contribution with a few rigs I use on coastal hunts.

300 Wby

300 RUM

BAR 300 WSM

Win. Model 71 348

😎

Nice pieces Beav! I have the same 348 and look forward to pounding a bull one of these years with it!
Nice rifles... My uncle had a nice .348 gave it to one of his worthless son in laws who sold it for beer money!!!!!
For general elk hunting I keep coming back to a tikka stainless T3 in 270win. I hunt a lot of spot and stalk, or sit and wait in areas I’ve already seen elk moving through morning/evening. Occasionally slow hunt the thick stuff as needed. With a vx2 on top it’s 7lbs even, which seems to both carry well and be easy shoot. Killed elk with it at 17 yards and out to 540 yards. It’s worn a variety of high end stocks (BC, manners, McMillan) but currently just sits in a plain jane T3x stock. It’s not fancy and I have way nicer rifles but has just worked for 99% of the situation I encounter here in Colorado. Farthest I have ever had to track an elk was maybe 50yards.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Nice rifles... My uncle had a nice .348 gave it to one of his worthless son in laws who sold it for beer money!!!!!

That is hard to take...I hate that guy too!

Some may remember this 348 was my dads. It was stolen 40 years ago and I just recently got it returned to me about 1.5 years ago.

It was the only rifle I hoped of the 11 or so rifles stolen that would be recovered...It took 40 years, but it did make it back to me.

Power of positive thinking I assume...I haven’t heard anything about the other rifles or shotguns being recovered. Just the Model 71 348.

😎
I don't care much about headstamps. I want a rifle that fits me, isn't to heavy(8.5lb max.) and pushes a 150 gr to 180gr. Nos.PT or its equivalent to at least 2800fps at the muzzle. I don't need a huge scope or turrets either. The I elk I hunt don't stand around long enough for that. The last ten bulls I've taken fell to a 160gr Nosler Partition out of a 280AI. Never any drama.
© 24hourcampfire