Home
Well, my son (Shortactionsmoker) and I have applied again for the Elk Lottery. I was drawn for a successful Cow hunt in 2010, he has applied every year since the lottery started and has never been drawn. Maybe this will be the year.

PS: Don’t feel too sorry for him. He did have a successful Elk hunt (and mule deer) in Montana a few years ago.
Good luck!
I've been applying for the PA elk hunt every year, but no luck so far.
I think I have 13-14 points now.

Kentucky doesn’t have a point system. You either are lucky or not.
In it to win it.
Lastround: Good luck in the draw and best of luck when you ARE drawn.
Think positive.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Hey Doug, is it too late to apply?
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Hey Doug, is it too late to apply?

Hi Marty, hope this finds you virus free. I think you can still apply, but go on kentucky Elk hunt.com and give it a shot. And good luck!

PS: Marty, I just checked. You can apply until midnight April 30th.
Originally Posted by lastround

Kentucky doesn’t have a point system. You either are lucky or not.

The first few years were that way here, then they went to the point system.
Now this past year they went to 3 separate seasons that we can get points for.
Early Archery, the standard Bull/Cow season in November and a late Cow only season.
I put in for it today as well. My hunting buddy that I go to Kansas with every year and I are crossing our fingers.
Patrick
I'm going to try here in the state of Misery when they have their first. It may be a few years though. Good luck and Be Well, Rustyzipper.
For some reason a lot of rich out of state folks and other big shots are real lucky!
I've put in for it every year since it started, and have never been drawn. My son drew an archery bull tag and I went with him on his first hunt, but we didn't see a thing. He went back a few more times, and had a shot at a spike, but passed as he was trying to get the bull that was bugling to come closer. I've had a couple of neighbors draw cow tags. As long as I think I'm able to go, I'll keep putting in..
Originally Posted by reivertom
For some reason a lot of rich out of state folks and other big shots are real lucky!

Don’t forget TV personalities. Saw Meat Eater hunting in KY this past year. He said he was invited to hunt bull elk by RMEF if I was not mistaken. Do what?
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Don’t forget TV personalities. Saw Meat Eater hunting in KY this past year. He said he was invited to hunt bull elk by RMEF if I was not mistaken. Do what?
Pretty sure these are on landowner tags.
I have only missed 4 years since KY started the Elk Draw and have never been drawn. I applied again this year, but I don't get my hopes up.
I made my $20 donation.

This ^^^^^^^ .... To best of my knowledge, have applied every year there has been a lottery. Never drawn.

A friend does work for a home builder in NKY who has had multiple family members drawn multiple times. How does that work ?
Is there much public land in the areas your allowed to hunt elk in? Never applied there before.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

This ^^^^^^^ .... To best of my knowledge, have applied every year there has been a lottery. Never drawn.

A friend does work for a home builder in NKY who has had multiple family members drawn multiple times. How does that work ?

It's like the saying that everybody has an equal chance, but some folks are more equal than others.

This. KDFW's scam on the Elk tags is a steamy pile of sheet.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

LOL......surely you jest!!! Not in Kentucky, why everyone knows that there is no better run, and more honest outfit as is KDFWR.
Originally Posted by gutthooked
Is there much public land in the areas your allowed to hunt elk in? Never applied there before.

Yes there are Public Lands to hunt. However, much (most?) of the prime habitat lies in the strip mine reclaims. And the outfitters have all of that leased up with the coal companies. "IF" I ever happen to draw a tag, I will hire an outfitter to ensure a reasonable chance at taking a representative animal.

Originally Posted by JamesJr

LOL......surely you jest!!! Not in Kentucky, why everyone knows that there is no better run, and more honest outfit as is KDFWR.

You mean, kinda like, the Game Commissioner who donated a tag to the KY Houndsmen to raffle off? And the guy who won the Houndsmen raffle just happened to be the Game Commissioner's BFF ??? ... PURE coincidence, I'm sure...
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by gutthooked

Yes there are Public Lands to hunt. However, much (most?) of the prime habitat lies in the strip mine reclaims. And the outfitters have all of that leased up with the coal companies. "IF" I ever happen to draw a tag, I will hire an outfitter to ensure a reasonable chance at taking a representative animal.

Originally Posted by JamesJr

You mean, kinda like, the Game Commissioner who donated a tag to the KY Houndsmen to raffle off? And the guy who won the Houndsmen raffle just happened to be the Game Commissioner's BFF ??? ... PURE coincidence, I'm sure...

Exactly the kind of jagoff shenanigans I am talking about.
Pa does the same thing with their elk drawing.

Thanks for the update on the public land in KY.
Fingers Crossed. Just made my donation as well!
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I'm going to try here in the state of Misery when they have their first. It may be a few years though. Good luck and Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Missouri applications start in May for December 2020 season. 4 tags for general resident. 1 tag for landowners.
I'm in as well, but absolutely 0 expectations.
Not drawn...........again!
© 24hourcampfire