Home
Local man (Glen Kulzer) sets new I.B.S. 1,000 yard heavy gun 10 shot record.
From our small town here in SW Montana comes a competitor who just shot a 10 shot group at 1,000 yards that measured 2.695"!
This pending new world record was set at the Deep Creek Range near Missoula, Montana.
I saw a copy of the record group and am just stunned that such an amazingly small grouping can be made with todays Rifles, bullets and shooting expertise at that incredible range!
Congratulations are in order for this new pending world record.
Long live benchrest competition.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Man that is some fine shooting for sure congrats to Glen
Pullit: Indeed, the fellow who showed me a photo copy of the record target had forgotten exactly which caliber was used to make the pending new record in answer to my question - but it was " six millimeter something".
When I get the definitive answer to my posed question I will relay it here.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Would like to know what he used as well
Curious what caliber/cartridge and bullet he used ? maybe what rifle and scope too ? thank you,Pete53
6BRA. Custom 103gr pills. Vortex golden eagle. Custom 17lb class benchrest rifle.

Heck of a group and centered up about as good as they get!
now I know someone is pulling my leg, Vortex, does he not read the internet.......lol
Oddly enough, Charles Greer has one on his 300wsm to set his recent 1000yd record too...
Hey people bash Vortex, but my Viper has been rock steady. I will admit that I don't throw it in the creek or beat it on rocks like some do but then again, I try not to do that with any of my rifles and scopes.
Double kudos...working in Montana in the spring...I never saw the wind quit...ever.
Congratulations to the shooter. That takes a lot of skill, excellent equipment, and a smidgen of luck. Outstanding!!

And it was done with a 6BR variant. The BR, A, X, and Dasher are hard to beat.
Glenn Kulzer pending IBS HG record 100 2.695” 4X .422” closest to center.

[Linked Image from mt1000yd.com]
CONGRATS !! nice to see the 6 BR still doing well ! i sure like mine
I read it was 2.696” group
Originally Posted by BobBrown
I read it was 2.696” group

Guess I could be wrong. Where did you read this? I'll go look.
That’s incredible shooting.
Unbelievable, I can maybe do that at 200yds. Nice shootin.
Navlav8r & DoubleDs55: Indeed I am just amazed at that incredible showing of accuracy at that distance and that number of rounds fired!
He can certainly be proud of that accomplishment.
I have been trying to ascertain the gunsmith/Riflesmith who put the Rifle together for him - any info from anyone on that?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Seems the village idiot known hereon as boob brown seems to follow in my wake trying to be funny - so ignore him. He is neither funny nor factual let alone his utter ignorance and immaturity.
Would love to know the spec's when you find them out.
Pullit: Pardon my slow reply its been Hunting season and gun chasin season and finally I have run down some info for you.
The cartridge used to set this record was a 6m/m Remington Benchrest Ackley Improved!
I got this info from a friend and fellow competitor of the new record holder, just this morning.
By the way the fellow I got the info from was a former world record holder in 1,000 yard benchrest himself.
He held the record for ONE day!
He set the record on Saturday in Missoula, Montana and on Sunday (the next day) someone back east broke his record.
You know what they say "records are made to be broken" - and "fame is fleeting".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Did Wheeler build the rifle?
6ppcfan: Pardon my slow reply - indeed, I was told that local Riflesmith Wheeler did indeed build the Rifle that the new record was shot with.
I heard this from a friend of the shooter NOT the shooter himself - whom I do not know but would love to meet.
I'll see if I can get verification on that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Creeker

POI looks off to me.

Shooting a little low....

cool
Outstanding shooting, Congrats to the new potential record holder.
Jc189: Most all of my shooting (95%+) is at big game, small game, predators and Varmints.
But to contrast what Mr. Kulzer did at 1,000 yards to my shooting let me relay this - I had along one of my most accurate 22 centerfire Rifles (Remington XR-100 in 223 Remington) on a Varmint Safari this past week.
I laser ranged a 3 1/2" wide, standing adult Ground Squirrel out at 227 yards and I missed said Varmint 3 times in a row!
The critter eventually ran off aways and laid down prone, and I bonked him on the fourth shot.
Humble pie there.
Anyway I am just astounded that a barrel, a scope, a trigger, a bullet, a powder charge, a human - let alone changing atmospheric conditions can ALL come together and create a 10 (ten!) shot grouping of 2.695" at 1,000 yards distant.
That feat is just about "absolute accuracy" in my book.
Again good for the shooter and todays technology.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
A 6BR Remington Improved. Don't need a honking magnum for long range accuracy!
Well VarmintGuy I'm in western Kansas shooting at those tiny things myself. I'm using a 700 Remington Sporter, .22-250. The load I'm using will do about 3/4" for 5 shots at a 100. At 250-300 yards I'm batting about 65% shooting in windy conditions [mostly 25-35 MPH]
Nice shooting!
The deep Creek range is a very nice facility and the layout offers the possibility of good conditions. I think the 6BR is the easiest way to shoot good, competitive groups and has been for the last 25 years. The higher BC of the 6.5's and 7mm's doesn't always translate into better accuracy. The lack of recoil and simple load development just makes it easier. GD
Good stuff....congrats! smile -Al
Greydog: Thank you for those interesting observations/opinions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Looking back, it almost sounds like I was saying it was not that difficult. Nothing could be further from the truth. What I find even more impressive is that a lot of these guys fire targets which are very good, very frequently. I do believe the 6 BR and variants are the easiest cartridges to work with. Nonetheless, I seldom used one; maybe so I would have an excuse! GD
Originally Posted by greydog
I do believe the 6 BR and variants are the easiest cartridges to work with.GD

Agree with that. The Dasher & BRX, & I'm sure others are all hard to beat.
The 6MM Dasher is the MOST ACCURATE cartridge I've ever put to my shoulder....bar none and I've shot many! I've fired ten shot groups here on my home range from 1000 yards that could be covered with a silver dollar coin!! And it does it with only 32.4 grains Varget powder!
Sharpsman: That is STUNNING accuracy!
I am an amateur when it comes to knowledge of Bench Rest "secrets" but have attended MANY BR Matches as an observer and found them fascinating and intriguing.
I am assuming your "silver dollar" sized groups were shot on your chosen times conditions (no wind, mirage etc).
Again good for you and thanks for your observations on the 6m/m Dasher - very interesting.
I would call that "absolute accuracy" (silver dollar sized 10 shot groups at 1,000 yards)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek057/

Oh if I had time/money for all the hobbies I could imagine enjoying!
Originally Posted by rainshadow1
https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek057/

Oh if I had time/money for all the hobbies I could imagine enjoying!
You and me both! I have far more hobbies and interest than I do time and money.
Woof! That is indeed some shooting!!! Congrats to that shooter.
© 24hourcampfire