Home
Posted By: mow1954 Glove ID? - 11/15/21
My uncle was a competitive high power rifle shooter in the 40's and 50's. I found this glove in his shooting stuff. Does anyone know if it has a shooting purpose? Would it be a collector item? Thanks

Attached picture glove.jpg
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Glove ID? - 11/15/21
I shoot high power and never had heard of any collections of older shooting paraphernalia. You may find Garand shooter that would think it is cool.

I am guessing he was a left hand shooter, the glove appears to be on the right hand.
Posted By: mow1954 Re: Glove ID? - 11/16/21
Correct, he was a lefty. He shot bolt action rifles. Don't know if he ever shot Garand or not.

It has very thick leather. Id be glad to donate it to a collection if anyone is interested
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Glove ID? - 11/16/21
Too keep your pulse from bouncing the rifle and protect hand from the sling.

Looks like my Creedmoor Sports glove.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Glove ID? - 11/16/21
Sort of laugh
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Glove ID? - 11/17/21
Used on the forward hand under the sling. To cushion the hand from the sling laying over the hand from the swivel to the upper arm. That's pretty old school. I don't recall old time Service Rifle shooters (ie Garand) using gloves/mitts until the M14. The first thought that occurred to me when I saw that was "Smallbore". ...but maybe Match Rifle (bolt gunners) might have used such a mitt too.
Posted By: mow1954 Re: Glove ID? - 11/17/21
Interesting. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Glove ID? - 11/25/21
I don't know if this will help or not, but we used to have shooting mitts in the military, and I imagine most other militaries did as well. It doesn't look like anything that I have ever seen. The mitts featured a single trigger finger. I found a picture of a more modern mitten as well as an older pair. These are military, but years ago, a lot of equipment was adapted from or patterned after what the military was using.

I cannot say with certainty, but I think he might have got a pair of leather welding mittens and used them for shooting.

[Linked Image from image.sportsmansguide.com]

[Linked Image from laurelleaffarm.com]
© 24hourcampfire