Home
Posted By: leomort 223Rem bolt action? - 12/13/21
Are there any competition sport where I can use my bolt action 223rem? Looking more as way to have fun and gain more shooting experience with my 223rem bolt gun. Thanks!
Posted By: JAC43 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/13/21
F-Class TR allows a straight 223 Rem, you shoot prone off a bipod. Our club matches are pretty informal at 500 yards, but there are higher tier matches at 600 and 1000 throughout the year.
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/13/21
JAC43, Thank you for your feedback! I'll have to see if there are any matches near me.
Posted By: colodog Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/14/21
You might check the local rifle clubs to see if they have a "Varmint For Score" match.

Each target card has 6 targets printed on it.
As many shots as you want on the "sighter" but only one shot per target for the remaining 5 targets on that card.
The 10 ring is 1/2" diameter and the center of the 10 has a dot called the "X"
A match is shooting 5 target cards, a total of 25 targets for score with a possible score of 250-25x

Wiggle a little or forget to watch the wind and you'll drop 2-3-4 points in one shot.

Compete against yourself and beat your average, don't worry what the other guys are scoring.

A web search will explain it more simply than I have...
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/14/21
colodog! Cool! Thank you! I will google that to learn more!
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by colodog
You might check the local rifle clubs to see if they have a "Varmint For Score" match.

Each target card has 6 targets printed on it.
As many shots as you want on the "sighter" but only one shot per target for the remaining 5 targets on that card.
The 10 ring is 1/2" diameter and the center of the 10 has a dot called the "X"
A match is shooting 5 target cards, a total of 25 targets for score with a possible score of 250-25x

Wiggle a little or forget to watch the wind and you'll drop 2-3-4 points in one shot.

Compete against yourself and beat your average, don't worry what the other guys are scoring.

A web search will explain it more simply than I have...

Score can be fun. But be aware that depending on club rules you very well could find yourself competing against true bench guns. If they have a factory class you should be competitive. Good rest and wind flags are needed. Some clubs run 100, 200, 300 matches where the 1 and 2 are one shot per bull and the 3 is 5 per bull. 200 can vary in shots, but 100 is strictly 1 shot per bull.
2nd drawback is caliber 224 has a very limited error rate pull the shot just enough it’s a 9 due to not touching the line. 6mm and 30 have a much larger error window. Although there is one variation that uses different size targets per caliber to even this out.
It’s a fun game, but don’t compete against just yourself. Sometimes you can learn a few tricks from the guys shooting high scores while your stuck in the low 2’s. I have even shot out of class just to push myself a little farther.
Posted By: skitish Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/16/21
In our Varmint Match we have divisions for factory rifle, AR and custom rifle. Each card has ten targets and you have ten minutes to make ten shots at 200m.
the only restrictions on rifle rests are no lead sleds. This competition is a hell of a lot of fun and by next year we may have as many youth shooters as we do adults.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/16/21
Does your bolt action take a detachable magazine?
Posted By: skitish Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/16/21
My bolt action is a Remington Sendero in .223 and does not have a detachable magazine.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/17/21
Originally Posted by skitish
In our Varmint Match we have divisions for factory rifle, AR and custom rifle. Each card has ten targets and you have ten minutes to make ten shots at 200m.
the only restrictions on rifle rests are no lead sleds. This competition is a hell of a lot of fun and by next year we may have as many youth shooters as we do adults.

No lead sleds? I wish all of the competition used them except myself. They are a real piece of shift!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/17/21
My bolt action is a Remington Sendero in .223 and does not have a detachable magazine.

I didn't know they made a short action Sendero....
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/18/21
My CZ 527 American 223rem has 5-round magazine. I could not find a 10-round magazine for it.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

No lead sleds? I wish all of the competition used them except myself. They are a real piece of shift!

Amen Butch. That made me laugh, but it is true..
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/21/21
I meet and talked to guy here that does rimfire precision shooting matches. I spoke to him about using my 223rem. He said that it would be good at the local matches as they typically only go out to 600 yards.

Given that range, what bullet would you guys recommend that I look at to handload given the magazine restrictions of saami specs? Should I be looking at the Hornady 75gr HPBT w/o cannelure or perhaps Sierra 69 gs smk? Open to other bullet suggestions as well. I have an 1:8 twist barrel on 223rem.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/21/21
75 gr ELD-M
Jordon,

What's the COL of that 75gr ELD-M? I thought it was longer than 2.250".
Sorry, I missed the SAAMI OAL part. If forced to seat too deep for the 75 ELD, then the 73 ELD or the 75 HPBT would be my choice.
Jordon,

No worries! Glad to know that I was on right track with the Hornady 75gr HPBT. I'll look into those 73gr ELD as well.

RMR has their 69gr version of the SMK of same weight that you use Sierra load data. They (RMR) have really good pricing thus wondering how that bullet weight would do at 600yard range. I seen the Hornady's costing anywhere from 19cent to 21cents per round whereas the RMR 69gr bullet runs around 14.5 cent per bullet.
Have you measured the internal mag length, or are you assuming you’ll have to stick with SAAMI length? The 75 ELD is superior to the other options mentioned, if it’ll fit in your mag without seating the ogive below the case mouth. I’m also not sure about the throat length on your rifle, so that’s another consideration, as some bullets shoot best close to, or slightly into, the lands.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/21/21
The amount of Fumbling Dumbfhuqktitude in this Thread,is VERY fhuqking impressive. Hint.

If in fact a true 8" RPM,simply kiss,find pressure and rock on with the 75 ELD at 2900fps. Lapooey brass,400's,Lever and Redding FL die set. Simply dazzle yourself with said sanctity and move magbox COAL shim rearward to accompany same,so as to grant feeding from the OEM box. Hint.

The RMR 69's ain't horrid,but cain't begin to fhuqking hang with the 75 ELD. Hint.

You gals couldn't begin to connect the first fhuqking dot,by yourselves and it's only fhuqking funny,because you are undoubtedly doing your BEST. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
Posted By: skitish Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/21/21
I shoot the Berger 73gr BT Match ammunition (# 65-023020) in the AR classification, my AR has a 1 : 7 twist. COAL is 2.252". Muzzle velocity is advertised at 2820, I have not measured it. All 10 rounds must be magazine fed as apposed to the stock rifle and custom rifle where the rounds can be loaded individually.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Have you measured the internal mag length, or are you assuming you’ll have to stick with SAAMI length? The 75 ELD is superior to the other options mentioned, if it’ll fit in your mag without seating the ogive below the case mouth. I’m also not sure about the throat length on your rifle, so that’s another consideration, as some bullets shoot best close to, or slightly into, the lands.

Jordan,

I have not measured the internal mag length. I'm just assuming that I'd have to stick with SAAMI length due to the CZ 527 being a micro-sized action. The rifle has wylde chamber, barrel is 1:8 twist. I can measure the internal mag dimension tonight.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/21/21
A 69gr bullet is just going to be frustrating at 600 yards.
If you have to go mag length, I'd go with the Sierra 77 TMK or the Hornady 75 ELD-M, whichever your gun shoots best.

You can do good work at 600 with the regular Hornady 75 and the Sierra 77 too.
Tyrone,

Thank you for your feedback!

BTW: I measured the internal dimensions of my magazine and got 2.343"
So not long enough for the Hornady 75gr ELD-M
I'd have to stay with Hornady 75gr BTHP (non-cannelure) or Sierra 77gr .
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/22/21
Oops! Dang! I forgot the ELD-M isn't a mag length bullet!

Give the Tipped Match King a try. It's about the highest BC bullet you can load to mag length.
No flies on the 75 BTHP or SMK however.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/22/21
77 MK or TMK
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/23/21
I gotta apologize,because I thought this was a serious post and inferred a 700 wearing an 8" RPM spout,which I was hoping to be a OEM 40X take-off or better yet Custom. Hint.

It'd be tough to find a bigger piece of fhuqking schit,than said CZ. My bad. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/23/21
Big_Stick,

Nope, no custom rifle. I'm want to start off with Rimfire Precision matches in 2022 and using what I've got there too, left hand CZ452. Just need to upgrade my scope, Vortex, Athlon, or Tract probably. Budget is $2,000 for the scope.

I was talking with the person who runs the rimfire matches and also shoots PRS. I mention I would like to try Precision Rifle match at the local level and just wanted to use what I had, lefty hand CZ 527 in 223rem and the hornady 75gr bthp. He said the 223rem that I had would be fine for local matches, which only go to 600yards, for me to get a feel for the game.

If I decide to get serious about PRS, I'd probably skip 22cal and go to something in 6mm but want to get some experience before investing big $$$ in it.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/24/21
Nobody loves a 223 more than me and 600yds is barely a stretch. That being said,you gotta connect dots and NOTHING matters more than twist,throat geometry and COAL latitude. Meld the trio and schit gets EASY. Get only 2 outta 3 right and you are pissing up lotsa ropes,real quick. The CZ is a looonnnnggggggggg ways from 3 for 3,in 223. None of which is subjective. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You got lotsa schit backwards and your alotted scope budget alone,would getcha' sumptin' real(S/S Teeker CTR 223),so you could bat 3 for 3. Poke a 10x MQ on it and the 452,then you'll have moves. Grab a set of their Low rings for each. DIP the 452 with Bob's extended 25 MoMo 1913 and Mountain Tac' the CTR with their 40 MoMo extended 1913. The 452 will crowd 25 Mil's of available erector from a 50yd zero and the CTR 30 from a 200yd zero. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Thank me fhuqking later.

Hint.......................
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/24/21
BigStick,

Thank you for your help! I went ahead and order that left handed Tikka T3X CTR 223rem w/ 1:8 twist. Due to Christmas Holiday it will probably take a little longer to get the logistic worked out.

I order a 20moa picatinny rail for CZ 452 from EGW. I can look at the DIP rail as well since their rail is a 25moa.

Wow, that SWFA SS 10x scope is really affordable!

Thanks again for the help! Merry Christmas!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/24/21
Hey Stick,
How many matches have you won or even placed in the top 10% in with that SWFA?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/24/21
mort',

I was curious to know,if the L/H option wasn't gonna swoon you. I mighta' added a 20" S/S Righty to the larder too. Hint. (grin)

I've had rather exceptional results with Bob's extended 1913 rails and have beat THE fhuqk outta more than a few,less a single issue. In Rimfire,you are gonna want ALL the inclination you can get and a 10x MQ will happily meld 75 MoMo's inclination and yet afford a 50yd zero. Bob yet again,to that rescue. keep in mind,that EVERYTHING below zero on the erector,is 100% fhuqking useless. Hint.

The 10x MQ will "only" correct parallax to 10yds,weighs but 20 ounces and has better than 40 Mil's of erector travel,with an etched reticle offering 10 more...for a 50 Mil correction latitude. Such things will "only" correlate POA/POI in 22LR to the 700+ yard line,even in my atmosphere. There is no other FUN,like Long Range Rimfire FUN. Hint.

Word on the street is,that a Fixed Fhuqker will track,repeat and hold zero...butcha' gotta be GENTLE. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

You did WELL Glasshoppa'..................

Trybone,

Pardon a simplistic quip by me,swaying Sales in sucha' manner,as you get to display your Whining Woketitude yet again...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Though admittedly,on top of your Incredible CLUELESSNESS,you just "happen" to be a Thieving Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot. What were the "odds"?!? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying.

Hint.

Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/24/21
You have made seriously great choices
Been “ led to water” so to speak
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/25/21
I'm on the road traveling to see family during X-mas, but once back home, I think I'll order the conversion bottom metal kit for changing CTR to AICS magazine then try a MDT polymer 10-rd 223rem mags for it and see how they fit/work. If it looks good then, I can try those 75gr eld-m.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/25/21
Slooowwwwwwww the fhuqk down and pay attention. Hint.

The issued CTR mags will HAPPILY house a 75 ELD Smooch,in issued guise. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Further,AICS mags can be coerced to fit the CTR's magwell. Hint.

You are THERE...simply breathe deep and take the EASY win. Hint.

Fhuqking laughing!....................
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/25/21
Big_Stick, that's great news!! Thanks!
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/25/21
Originally Posted by leomort
BigStick,

Thank you for your help! I went ahead and order that left handed Tikka T3X CTR 223rem w/ 1:8 twist. Due to Christmas Holiday it will probably take a little longer to get the logistic worked out.

I order a 20moa picatinny rail for CZ 452 from EGW. I can look at the DIP rail as well since their rail is a 25moa.

Wow, that SWFA SS 10x scope is really affordable!

Thanks again for the help! Merry Christmas!

Great choice. The CZ would have meant making concessions.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/25/21
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

EuroOptic must be making quite a run on the 1-8 223 CTRs, I just ordered one a few days ago. I wanted a rifle that can live in my truck that I could probably place a bet that it would shoot well outta the box. I didn’t want anything less than an 8 twist. I opted for the 20” SS version myself.

I didn’t know the CTRs had longer mags either so I thought I was constrained to 77 TMKs which wouldn’t have hurt my feelings a bit since I pile them up for the ARs.

I believe I may put one of the Athlons on top and see what all the talk is about. I have a feeling that rifle will get a lot of trigger time.

Merry Christmas fellas.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/25/21
Originally Posted by beretzs

EuroOptic must be making quite a run on the 1-8 223 CTRs, I just ordered one a few days ago. I wanted a rifle that can live in my truck that I could probably place a bet that it would shoot well outta the box. I didn’t want anything less than an 8 twist. I opted for the 20” SS version myself.

I didn’t know the CTRs had longer mags either so I thought I was constrained to 77 TMKs which wouldn’t have hurt my feelings a bit since I pile them up for the ARs.

I believe I may put one of the Athlons on top and see what all the talk is about. I have a feeling that rifle will get a lot of trigger time.

Merry Christmas fellas.

Not a damn thing wrong with the CTR mags. They work flawlessly, lock in place very well and are built great. I haven't read through this whole thread, but did see where someone bought different bottom metal to use AICS mags? There's really no need. Funny how some guys here take the total lateral move here with schidt. Kinda like the guys that read the MOA triggers are no good and buy a Timney. Have a merry Christmas!!!
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/26/21
bsa,

I am not that familiar with tikka nor with their ctr mags. I could/can not find the overall mag length of ctr mags. What I did find is the ctr mags seem proprietary and are expensive (I'm finding $99/ctr mag, ouch!!!). AICS mags seem to be worship as godsend so I was considering doing the bottom metal swap until BigStick said CTR mags are good for those long 75gr eld-m. I though cz mags were expensive until I seen the ctr prices!

Does anyone know if hornady's eld-m are just rebadged amax?
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/26/21
The CTR .223 mags are 2.55”... like Stick said I’ve seen fellas run MDTs in the CTR DBM.

I’ve used the 75/80 gr AMaxes and ELDs interchangeably with no issues and they behave close enough to each other to not fret on performance...
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/26/21
Thanks for the info, josh!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/26/21
Did BSA' just try to flaunt some Imaginary Pretend Ignore...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only to come full circle and revisit DBM's. Teeker as a whole REALLY fhuqks it up,as most of their schit is well beyond being "just" schitty. That in regards to design,capacity,COAL,materials and relative robustitude. Long way of saying,there is NOTHING to swoon there,from ANY angle. Hint.

On a "regular" Teeker 223,the AICS DBM Swapaloo is a MANDATE. The OEM Dog Schit is fhuqking HORRIBLE +P++. Hint.

Now the CTR DBM is a beam of light,in that sheer and utter darkness. It's made of REAL materials,has a vastly superior design and grants wayyyyyyyyyyy more COAL in 223. It is double stacked to boot,so a lesser profile,simply grants more rounds in the belly. Every CTR 223 mag,holds what (2) CZ mags do in capacity,while allowing COAL that melds it's 8" RPM and twist rate. I would submit that a CTR 223 with (1) extra mag,simply equates to a CZ with (3) extras and is therefore a very GOOD buy to boot,on top of the mechanical superiority. Eurpotic has 223 CTR mags at $99 and I simply wouldn't fhuqking linger. Win/win/win. Hint.

The 75 A-Max is simply fhuqking LEGENDARY,for nothing but GREAT reasons. The 75 ELD is simply ALL of that and then some,as it's aero profile is superior. Again...win/win/win. Hint.

Soooooooooo RELAX...you are there. Score some Lapooey brass,400's,75 ELD's and Lever',so you can kiss,find pressure and rock on. It was all handed to you on a Silver Platter,with NO weak links in the chain and that by intent. Hint......................(grin)
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/26/21
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Did BSA' just try to flaunt some Imaginary Pretend Ignore...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If only to come full circle and revisit DBM's. Teeker as a whole REALLY fhuqks it up,as most of their schit is well beyond being "just" schitty. That in regards to design,capacity,COAL,materials and relative robustitude. Long way of saying,there is NOTHING to swoon there,from ANY angle. Hint.

On a "regular" Teeker 223,the AICS DBM Swapaloo is a MANDATE. The OEM Dog Schit is fhuqking HORRIBLE +P++. Hint.

Now the CTR DBM is a beam of light,in that sheer and utter darkness. It's made of REAL materials,has a vastly superior design and grants wayyyyyyyyyyy more COAL in 223. It is double stacked to boot,so a lesser profile,simply grants more rounds in the belly. Every CTR 223 mag,holds what (2) CZ mags do in capacity,while allowing COAL that melds it's 8" RPM and twist rate. I would submit that a CTR 223 with (1) extra mag,simply equates to a CZ with (3) extras and is therefore a very GOOD buy to boot,on top of the mechanical superiority. Eurpotic has 223 CTR mags at $99 and I simply wouldn't fhuqking linger. Win/win/win. Hint.

The 75 A-Max is simply fhuqking LEGENDARY,for nothing but GREAT reasons. The 75 ELD is simply ALL of that and then some,as it's aero profile is superior. Again...win/win/win. Hint.

Soooooooooo RELAX...you are there. Score some Lapooey brass,400's,75 ELD's and Lever',so you can kiss,find pressure and rock on. It was all handed to you on a Silver Platter,with NO weak links in the chain and that by intent. Hint......................(grin)

The CTR is a great option. Love the mags. Absolutely no "constraints", even in the bigger rifles.. The 223 rem CTR mags are great. No need to go AICS. You make some good points. Even on bullet selection. Although, the 77TMK is exceptional in its own right. even as compared to the 75 ELD..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I've been running CTR's for a while now and Tikka has their chidt together with this platform.
Posted By: hanco Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The CTR is a great option. Love the mags. Absolutely no "constraints", even in the bigger rifles.. The 223 rem CTR mags are great. No need to go AICS. You make some good points. Even on bullet selection. Although, the 77TMK is exceptional in its own right. even as compared to the 75 ELD..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I've been running CTR's for a while now and Tikka has their chidt together with this platform.

Nice rifles!
Posted By: grovey Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/31/21
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Hey Stick,

Not a fuggin one! hint!
Posted By: grovey Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/31/21
Not sure where you are in MD. but the club I belong to in South Central, PA has weekly " $5.00 fun matches" groundhog shoots every Tuesday, and a serious $15.00 match one Sat a month from April to October. They have a factory sporter class, a factory varmint class, as well as two custom classes. Tikka's are usually top of the heap, but the Savages can win as well. I've won quite a few with a superlite in .223 myself.

These are score matches @ 1,2 and 300yds in factory classes. Ammo is single fed into the chamber, so mag length is irrelevant . I use a bobsled inserted in my tikka mags to make single feeding a breeze. There are quite a few clubs scattered throughtout the state that have their own matches that vary a bit.

Here's a link to the club i shot at...
http://stthomassportsmen.com/groundhog.php
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 12/31/21
Hey Stick,

Not Stick, but I’ve taken several top-5 and top-3 finishes in national and local PRS-style matches with a SWFA 10x. Not because it’s an ideal scope for the application, and I certainly have more appropriate scopes, but to prove that you don’t have to spend thousands on a scope to get into the sport and be competitive. The SWFAs perform very well the core functions that a scope needs to perform.
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/01/22
Originally Posted by grovey
Not sure where you are in MD. but the club I belong to in South Central, PA has weekly " $5.00 fun matches" groundhog shoots every Tuesday, and a serious $15.00 match one Sat a month from April to October. They have a factory sporter class, a factory varmint class, as well as two custom classes. Tikka's are usually top of the heap, but the Savages can win as well. I've won quite a few with a superlite in .223 myself.

These are score matches @ 1,2 and 300yds in factory classes. Ammo is single fed into the chamber, so mag length is irrelevant . I use a bobsled inserted in my tikka mags to make single feeding a breeze. There are quite a few clubs scattered throughtout the state that have their own matches that vary a bit.

Here's a link to the club i shot at...
http://stthomassportsmen.com/groundhog.php

Thank you for heads up, grovey! I'm in the Germantown/Gaithersburg, MD area! I will check your club's website
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Hey Stick,

Not Stick, but I’ve taken several top-5 and top-3 finishes in national and local PRS-style matches with a SWFA 10x. Not because it’s an ideal scope for the application, and I certainly have more appropriate scopes, but to prove that you don’t have to spend thousands on a scope to get into the sport and be competitive. The SWFAs perform very well the core functions that a scope needs to perform.

Thank you for the feedback on the SWFA 10x scope, Jordan! I will be getting one of them for my 22lr CZ 452!
BTW, I did pick up my left handed Tikka T3X CTR 223rem rifle yesterday at my local gunshop. Already removed the 0moa rail and put on the mountain tactical 30moa rail. Also removed the spacers in the stock to shorten LOP for my me. Just need to put on the mountain tactical arca rail with sling stud.

I assume that the T3x ctr has long enough throat for those long hornady 75gr eld-m?
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/01/22
BTW, I did pick up my left handed Tikka T3X CTR 223rem rifle yesterday at my local gunshop. Already removed the 0moa rail and put on the mountain tactical 30moa rail. Also removed the spacers in the stock to shorten LOP for my me. Just need to put on the mountain tactical arca rail with sling stud.

I assume that the T3x ctr has long enough throat for those long hornady 75gr eld-m?

Yeap...
Posted By: grovey Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/02/22

If your serious about shooting in competition you won't win anything shooting Hornady bullets.
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/02/22
@ josh, thank you for feedback!

@grovery, what bullets for 223rem would you recommend? Thanks!
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/02/22
Originally Posted by grovey

If your serious about shooting in competition you won't win anything shooting Hornady bullets.

It depends on the discipline, I’m sure, but my experience has been otherwise.
Posted By: grovey Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/03/22
I've shot some small groups with the 75gr eld's, but couldn't get repeatable results after shooting 5-600 of them. To be capable of winning the type of factory class BR score matches I shot, it requires a repeatable 1/4" load. All the stars need to align as far as the shooter,gun, load, rest to do it, but the Tikka's are capable. The most accurate .22 bullet I've shot is the 73 gr Berger. I won enough to pizz people off using it.

Alot of older gents in the matches i mentioned shoot the old 77 gr match king, but I've seen the 77gr tipped match king and the Berger 80.5 full bore in the right hands win as well. I've tinkered with the 80.5 some, but haven't found the magic combo in my hvy bbl Tikka yet. Good luck.
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/08/22
Anyone have source of where they get their CTR mags?
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/10/22
I haven’t tried but it apparently isn’t hard to get the plastic MDT mags to work
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/10/22
Anyone have source of where they get their CTR mags?

EuroOptics
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/11/22
Got the CTR, put a Athlon 4-20 on top with TPS rings.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Figured I’d try the load my brother and I have been using for our gas guns, 26.0 LVR, CCI450’s, range pick up brass and the 77 TMK.

First five

Then I shot 10 on another bull

I gotta say it, I like it. The mags are excellent, the Athlon ain’t half bad and the rifle is quite handy for what I’ll be doing with it.

I also put the Magnetospeed on to record some speeds. Just five of my brothers and 5 of mine. He actually used 25.5 and me 26. His spread was a hair tighter and a bit faster than mine. Maybe the different lots were using. Who knows but it works nice enough I’m not messing with my Dillon.

Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/11/22
You would have to be happy with that, the scope is a nice fit too
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/11/22
CastleRock and josh, thank you for feedback on CTR mags!

beretzs, thank you for posting! Which model athlon did you get? Argos?
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/11/22
Beretzs,

Looking good buddy.

I ordered the same rifle after Christmas and picked it up the other day. Haven't shot it yet but I hope to get our wirh it this week sometime.

Stuck a 10x SS on mine but I have been eyeing that Athlon you got. I grabbed one of the 2-12s from cameraland while they were on sale, I'm liking it so far as well.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/11/22

I had it back out again today. First 5 we’re on the right. Adjusted .2 mils right. Shot the left target. Then I raised it a .5 mil for a 200 yard zero and let 10 fly. I wasn’t on top of my game but damned if that rifle doesn’t shoot. Again, hate to admit the scope is pretty damned good too.

Originally Posted by Dude270
Beretzs,

Looking good buddy.

I ordered the same rifle after Christmas and picked it up the other day. Haven't shot it yet but I hope to get our wirh it this week sometime.

Stuck a 10x SS on mine but I have been eyeing that Athlon you got. I grabbed one of the 2-12s from cameraland while they were on sale, I'm liking it so far as well.

Man, I hope you have as much fun with yours as I am. I’m sure I could suck around with the load more but the Dillon is set and it’s so easy to just crank out rounds on it. Plus it’s nice to have one ammo for the AR’s and this bolt gun.
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/11/22
Beretzs,

Nice shooting! I've got to see if I find a public rifle range near me, I'm in the Gaithersburg/Germantown, MD area. Not sure if they're any in Maryland. May have to join sportmen's club to get access to rifle range.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/12/22
Couldn't agree more on just cranking out 1 load that works well in several rifles.

I'm hoping mine likes my 77 tmk load as well. I've got some other bullets I want to try too though
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/12/22
Beretzs,

Nice shooting! I've got to see if I find a public rifle range near me, I'm in the Gaithersburg/Germantown, MD area. Not sure if they're any in Maryland. May have to join sportmen's club to get access to rifle range.

No clue honestly. I’m lucky I have a 100 yards I can shoot right out my front door.

Couldn't agree more on just cranking out 1 load that works well in several rifles.

I'm hoping mine likes my 77 tmk load as well. I've got some other bullets I want to try too though

That bullet just seems to always shoot. I’ve been using it for awhile and it seems to just hammer with about any decent powder.

I have a bunch of Lapua brass I’ll dabble with some other stuff I’ve got.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/12/22
Light my PM box up when y’all get tired and bored with those no good Tikkas...
Posted By: leomort Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/12/22
no way, josh! smile I think those tikka CTR may be worth keeping, lol!
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/13/22
Beretzs,

No clue honestly. I’m lucky I have a 100 yards I can shoot right out my front door.

That bullet just seems to always shoot. I’ve been using it for awhile and it seems to just hammer with about any decent powder.

Yep, I have settled on the 77 TMK for both my 223 and 22/250, it is just so easy to get a good load for and kills like poison
Watch the Lapua brass, it has a bit less capacity, you may have to back off a bit, I actually prefer Winchester and ADI in the 223 for more speed or less pressure, the cheaper stuff seems to shoot just as well and it doesn’t hurt as much when you lose it
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/14/22
Just got home and see a 20" S/S 223 CTR. Hint.

75 ELD's for me,in Lapooey,with Lever' and 400's with a magfed Smooch. Hint.

There's an Arken Gen2 4-16x FFP Mil on the way,a MT 40 MoMo rail laying in wait and I bought a "few" sets of Swiffer rings. Hint.

Not much Lapooey brass though. Hint.

At least Imagination and Pretend are free,so even Whining grovey can "afford" to "contribute"...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........................
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/14/22
Beretzs,

Yep, I have settled on the 77 TMK for both my 223 and 22/250, it is just so easy to get a good load for and kills like poison
Watch the Lapua brass, it has a bit less capacity, you may have to back off a bit, I actually prefer Winchester and ADI in the 223 for more speed or less pressure, the cheaper stuff seems to shoot just as well and it doesn’t hurt as much when you lose it

Great advice. Thank you. I’ve got 4-5 gallon pails of the crap we shoot on the range of brass. Should be good for awhile. Seems to shoot fine and like you mentioned, it’s damned near the best price ever.

The big mags don’t suck at all. I’m kinda liking this ring. The 40 MOA rail wouldn’t hurt though.

Good hint about the Helos. Pretty surprising actually once I started using it.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/14/22
There's an Arken Gen2 4-16x FFP Mil on the way,a MT 40 MoMo rail laying in wait and I bought a "few" sets of Swiffer rings. Hint.
I do admire your optimism in bottom-feeding for scopes! Maybe you'll be a "lucky kchunt".
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/14/22
Trybone,

You LYING Thieving Piece of Clueless Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you "get" to read about it and STEAL pics,you Brokedick Fhuqk. Hint.................
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/14/22
LOL!
Posted By: InternetGuru Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/16/22

What are you putting the 1-4's on?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/20/22
Forced to speculate,the last one I bought just went aboard a Stealth Camo Krunchenticker in 264 Grendel. Though in fairness,I've likely got a "few" others.

If only so Trybone can have another picture of my wares,in "her" album. Hint.....................
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/20/22
Forced to speculate,the last one I bought just went aboard a Stealth Camo Krunchenticker in 264 Grendel. Though in fairness,I've likely got a "few" others.

If only so Trybone can have another picture of my wares,in "her" album. Hint.....................
Another schitt-show of eye relief. That's tied with the dumbest scope mounting job I've ever seen! But then, I guess nose-to-charging handle still gives your misshapen head about 3" of eye relief.

Have you ever shot that?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 01/20/22
Trybone,

You keep stealing pics from your Couchbound Kchunt,while extolling your very long list of WELL founded Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist. Better steal these too and then you can say you've "seen" a Teeker Cheater. Hint.

Bless your heart,for Lying,Crying,Whining and Trying,you AMAZINGLY Inept Clueless Fhuqk.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
Posted By: grovey Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/05/22

Not much Lapooey brass though. Hint.

At least Imagination and Pretend are free,so even Whining grovey can "afford" to "contribute"...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........................

Somebody needs to buy those half azz bullets. Might as well be a picture taker like yourself.... hint! F*cking weirdo !
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/11/22
dumbey,

I get it that you are a Window Licking CLUELESS Fhuqktard...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

As plainly cited prior,the EXCEPTIONAL Hornie .224" 75 BTHP(no can-of-lure),is simply splendid at 223 Krunchenticker COAL confines. Googles as you must,you Drooling Fhuqktard. Hint.

Add COAL ala CTR double stack OEM confines and it's easy to up BC(75 ELD) and nestle against the OEM RPM's abilities. Throats are in synch with same,which "surprisingly" aligns The Trifecta(RPM/COAL/Throat geometry). Hint.

Pardon my shooting it all,as you Google from your Couchbound Kchunt. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Extrapolation,for Fhuqktards such as yourself. Hint.

I suggest you keep reading,as you "shoot" your Imagination and Pretend from your Couchbound Kchunt,fueled with your Brokedicktitude and Amazing STUPIDITY. Hint.

Bless your heart for doing your best.

Hint.

Posted By: beretzs Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/11/22
That CTR is a machine in my book.
Posted By: grovey Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/11/22
dumbey,

I get it that you are a Window Licking CLUELESS Fhuqktard...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

As plainly cited prior,the EXCEPTIONAL Hornie .224" 75 BTHP(no can-of-lure),is simply splendid at 223 Krunchenticker COAL confines. Googles as you must,you Drooling Fhuqktard. Hint.

Add COAL ala CTR double stack OEM confines and it's easy to up BC(75 ELD) and nestle against the OEM RPM's abilities. Throats are in synch with same,which "surprisingly" aligns The Trifecta(RPM/COAL/Throat geometry). Hint.

Pardon my shooting it all,as you Google from your Couchbound Kchunt. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Extrapolation,for Fhuqktards such as yourself. Hint.

I suggest you keep reading,as you "shoot" your Imagination and Pretend from your Couchbound Kchunt,fueled with your Brokedicktitude and Amazing STUPIDITY. Hint.

Bless your heart for doing your best.

Hint.

Add some more of that LBGTQA tape, and maybe you'll be able to better those almighty 1/2" 3 shot groups you're so retardedly proud of with your bottom shelf floor sweeping bullets. Trash for trash like yourself.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/11/22
dumbey,

Why is it,that the only things you can add in the first hand are your Homoerotic Fantasies...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you and your Whining Brokedicktitude,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist. I'll get the new Vudoo Hummer going later in the day. Hint.

Google as you must,as you set astride your Couchbound Kchunt,glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel. Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your Brokedick best.

Hint.

Posted By: ldholton Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/12/22
I've shot a good box full or two of them 88 in an eight twist 22-250. Fed with a asic type mags. Good times. How about them 88s in a 7 twist 223 in a magazine bed with a lot of jump to the lands that works out?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/12/22
I shoot THE fhuqk outta 88's in a goodly herd of 223's,223 AI's,22 PPC AFI's,22BR,22-250's,22-250AI's and Speedmire's. Hint.

Amidship. Hint.

Some things matter. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

You fhuqktards cain't even begin to fathom the magnitude. Hint.

223 7" Hawk. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/12/22
dumbey,

Why is it,that the only things you can add in the first hand are your Homoerotic Fantasies...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you and your Whining Brokedicktitude,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist. I'll get the new Vudoo Hummer going later in the day. Hint.

Google as you must,as you set astride your Couchbound Kchunt,glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel. Hint.

Hint.

There is NO way you own a 25-06
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/13/22
Hell...I've never even seen a 25-06 before. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Or a 250-3000,250 AI,257 Bob,Better Bob,25-284,25-06 AI or 257 Wby. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.......................
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/14/22
But the .25 cal is [bleep] according to you! "Low" BC bullets!

How can you stand to shoot something so "inferior"?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/14/22
Trybone,

It is funnier than fhuqk,to allow you opportunity to schlep your outright Fhuqking Stupidity and countless very WELL founded Insecurities to new places...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'd be rather impressed,if someone on The Planet has launched more .257" projectiles,than I. Kudos on your gross inability,to begin to fathom the obvious,you Floundering Widow Licking Fhuqktard. Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you set mired astride your Couchbound Kchunt. Hint. Fhuqking laughing!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". You be sure to keep citing your Insecutrities and I'll happily fuel same,with wares that exist. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Here,now you can say you've "seen" your first .224" 90gr A-Tip and .257" 90gr SGK HP,which makes this a VERY Big Day for you and your ilk. You'll certainly wanna steal that picture too,you CLUELESS Thieving Piece Of Lying Fhuqking Schit. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for doing the best you can,with what incredibly little you "have" to "work" with.

Hint.

Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/14/22
Boring!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/15/22
Trybone,

I just saw where Sister dropped off yesterday's Mail and carved some open,which is gonna make it another BIG Day for you...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for "living" vicariously.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/15/22
Living vicariously? No, I saw a picture of your house and your ex! laugh LOL! laugh
Trybone,

Why are glued to my every word and Splendid Pixel,as you use your Imagination to pretend aloud...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What were the "odds",that besides being a CLUELESS Crying Kchunt,you also just happen to be a Lying Thieving Piece Of Fhuqking Schit? FUNNIER than fhuqk,that you can't even begin to "do" for yourself! Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Perhaps extoll upon what you "do" for a "living",that MANDATES such things and arranges Imagination and Pretend to be so "REAL"(to you). Hint.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
LOL! Most people don't *try* to be entertaining like a skateboard fails video, but you do it quite well! laugh

At least people laugh *with* clowns. You, not so much.
BTW, what are you doing posting in Competitive Shooting?

Did you finally grow some balls and compete in a match? What was your score & standing?
Trybone,

You even had to steal your Avatar...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You are doing "GREAT!". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Be sure to post pictures of the next car-sized boulder you "kill"! laugh
Trybone,

How come ALL the Splendid Pixels in "your" albumb,were taken by me...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can 'afford" to "contribute". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for doing your best though,you are doing "GREAT!".

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Speaking of pictures, is that building behind your house a fish gut processor or section 8 housing?
Trybone,

On the "average",just how many times a day do you think about me and is that before,during or after stealing pics...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can 'afford" to "contribute". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hint.

Do you get a lot of trash blowing into your yard from all those businesses surrounding your house?
Your yard looked kinda messy.
Trybone,

How come your own camera,is soooooooooo EXPENSIVE and unobtainable...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hint.

You could probably afford a competition once in a while if you stopped blowing your money on those cheap scopes and bought quality instead.
Trybone,

Your copious and very WELL founded Insecurities are fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Posted By: pete53 Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/19/22
Big Stick some very good pictures of gun stuff and very nice rifles ?
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/19/22
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
dumbey,

Hint.

There is NO way you own a 25-06

He might as well send that 25-06 down south. I’m sure it’s living on borrowed time grin
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223Rem bolt action? - 02/20/22
Scope arrived,earlier today. Hint............(grin)

It'll be fhuqking FUNNY. Hint..............(grin)

Mo' bettah'. Hint...............

© 24hourcampfire