Home
I'm running low on CCI 34's that I've been using in my M1A's. Are the Winchester WLR's safe in them ? E
I don't really know, but they are what Hornady uses in their M1A data.
All I use in my M1 garand loads. So should be fine in m1a
Make sure the primers are installed below case base level. If at or much worse above base level it may cause a misfire. I've been using standard commerical primers for my Garand and M1A for decades without issue. I ream out all my primer pockets with a uniformer in my RCBS case prep machine. After that treatment all properly installed primers are safely below case base level.
Just for my information, are M1As prone to firing-pin “bounce” or sticking that makes them slam-fire? I’ve read about the danger, but never saw an explanation of the exact cause.
I used a bunch of the old plated WLR's in M1A's without issue.

Never saw a slamfire but did see one out of battery. That was ugly.

Check the FP tail for wear. I was told they are maintenance items.

YMMV
Thanks everyone. E
I loaded standard primers cci,ww,fed for M1,M1A, FAL& G3 for many years before 34's existed with no problems
I used and still have the CCI 34 primers.
But I tried the WLR. They worked fine in my 1942 Garand. I just got a better group with the 34s.
I bought a couple thousand primers for a AR - 308. Then I sold the AR. I understand that the brass with these primers are thicker. I've kept these for two reasons, shipping and back up if more Democrats get into office and primers get heavily regulated. I'd trade them on a FTF deal for large rifle primers.
While I’ve not used as many as others, probably a thousand or so have gone through mine without issue.
Thanks. E
© 24hourcampfire