Home
Posted By: himmelrr Brass Quality - 01/23/23
I have read/heard that Lapua is the best. What are everyone's thoughts on other production brass hierarchy? How would you rank WW, RP, Starline, FC, LC, and others on consistency, weight etc. Specifically looking at 223.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Brass Quality - 01/23/23
What is your game?

For HP, LC works great, but there are lots of alternatives. Starline is good from what I hear, and the FC with LC bunting is the same as LC.
I've been using a lot of Wolf and NT and they have been fine. I understand PMC finally has their flash holes centered too.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Brass Quality - 01/23/23
I am having a 700 223 built with a 1-7 twist for 600yds as a short term goal and would love to reach 1000. I am not planning on any competition other than against myself. I have never shot past 300yds and planning to take it slow but want to start out with good components.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Brass Quality - 01/23/23
Sorry, but I don’t shoot Lapua after getting an extremely bad batch of 223 match brass that had worse consistency than RP or WW. Maybe this will help maybe not.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The Norma 556 started life as 62 grain NATO.
Federal/LC 556 was 55 grain NATO
Nosler commercial
Norma commercial
Mix of Norma and Federal to fill out my 50.
Norma 556 being the heaviest and most consistent.
Norma commercial and Federal/LC being damn near identical
Nosler being the oddball.
Posted By: pullit Re: Brass Quality - 01/23/23
Alpha , Peterson, Lapua all make good top quality brass. After those, I would go Starline, Federal, WW kinda in that order. I am sure I have left some out.
I just bought 200 pcs of new Lapua 223 brass the other day to do about the same thing you are doing, 600-1k playing against myself.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Brass Quality - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by Tyrone
What is your game?

For HP, LC works great, but there are lots of alternatives. Starline is good from what I hear, and the FC with LC bunting is the same as LC.
I've been using a lot of Wolf and NT and they have been fine. I understand PMC finally has their flash holes centered too.

I shoot a lot of FC with the scamp markings. It is range pick up brass and has worked great for years. I also have some R-P, and Lapua. It's all about the same, after you properly prep it. I'd stay away from any new WW brass though. It's garbage, as is the LC coming from Winchester. I've seen a lot of crap ammo coming from them, after they took over the govt contract. I also must have different PMC than you speak of because the flash holes are all centered. That brass was picked up at the range (1,200 pcs) about 4 or 5 years ago. The ones I've seen with off center flash holes is the GFL brass that Fiocchi uses in their factory ammo. Its reloadable, but those off center flash holes are disturbing and hard on the decapping pins. Really, I avoid the chidt anymore. It's not worth picking it up..
Posted By: mathman Re: Brass Quality - 01/23/23
Based on my experience with 243 and 308 I'd happily try some SIG brass in 223.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Brass Quality - 01/23/23
Wolfe that I have is good along with some lots of LC, and Lapua.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Brass Quality - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by mathman
Based on my experience with 243 and 308 I'd happily try some SIG brass in 223.

Do they make 223 rem brass? It's great brass from what I've seen in 22-250 and 308 Win..
Posted By: pullit Re: Brass Quality - 01/24/23
I use to see Sig brass, but have not seen it for awhile. I have heard good things about it and would like to try it, if I could find some in something I need.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Brass Quality - 01/24/23
Thanks for all the input fellas. I appreciate it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Brass Quality - 01/24/23
https://www.sigsauer.com/component-brass-223-rem-100-ct.html
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Brass Quality - 01/24/23

Thanks mathman. If I were looking for good brass, I'd buy some of that and try it out. It has been very good in the 22-250 and 308 from my experience. I don't check it as precisely as you do, but can tell you when TIR numbers are low, that says a lot about the brass quality and neck thickness uniformity. Neck tension always feels great as well, but we know our dies, and how we set them up, play a big role in that. I'm not like a lot of you guys, I keep schidt simple with simple dies (RCBS FL die sets). TIR kept below .003" and rock on as easily and trouble free as possible. The range pick up FC with scamp marks works well enough at the measly 400 yards I shoot at lately with my AR. If the rifle is shooting 1" 3 shot groups at 400, I'm happy.. You guys may require more precision than that, to each their own..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: mathman Re: Brass Quality - 01/24/23
I've have some range pick up PPU in 223 and I haven't measured their necks, but they do assemble into very straight cartridges. The last batch of 30 I put together has two rounds with .003" TIR. The rest were .002" or less, mostly less. More than sufficient for my purposes.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Brass Quality - 01/25/23
I was gifted 1,100 rounds of Federal .308 Win. Gold Medal match brass that is supposed to be once fired. The brass was acquired from a trusted source so I believe it is once fires as stated. The problem is that lot must have been loaded awfully hot hot from the factory as the primer pockets are loose as a goose eating pork fat. I'll either have to just use them if light cast bullet loads or maybe scrap the whole deal.
PJ
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Brass Quality - 01/25/23
With the disclaimer that my observations are from certain lots, so not necessarily valid for generalization:

I tried a lot of Starline 5.56 and found considerable variation in neck thickness. I have had good success with Starline straight cases. I am not confident about their bottleneck brass.

The best uniformity of .223 I encountered was older lots of Winchester, except for Lapua which is in another class.

My son, who these days is more dedicated than I am, just buys Lapua. He doesn't want to bother (screw around) with weighing, measuring, sorting, etc. I can't fault his reasoning.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Brass Quality - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I was gifted 1,100 rounds of Federal .308 Win. Gold Medal match brass that is supposed to be once fired. The brass was acquired from a trusted source so I believe it is once fires as stated. The problem is that lot must have been loaded awfully hot hot from the factory as the primer pockets are loose as a goose eating pork fat. I'll either have to just use them if light cast bullet loads or maybe scrap the whole deal.
PJ

Federal is known for that in the bigger cartridges. I had the same issues with some 308w, and 300WSM. Everyone generally knows this. There is a reason I stated "with scamp marks" on the 223 rem brass. It is more like the LC brass everyone likes. What I've found with 223 rem brass, is most of it is good. Primer pockets last for a damn long time in the FC 223 Rem brass I picked up at the range.

This is not a YMMV thing either. I don't fu ck around with schidt brass.. That FC range pick up brass shoots sub moa for 10 shots consistently. Lapua doesn't do any better. It's all about how you prep your brass and how uniform it is. You can pay more for Lapua, as it's great stuff. I prefer free, though, when it's good schidt.
Posted By: AdventureBound Re: Brass Quality - 01/25/23
What’s the consensus on Norma brass?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Brass Quality - 01/27/23
Norma is fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.

Lapoeey is without peer. Hint.

Starline is suplizingly Skookum. Hint.

The Brokedick FC Floor Sweep Schit,is fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint................
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Brass Quality - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by Big Stick

You ever won a match with Norma, Lapua or Starline?

Have you ever lost a match because of Federal LC?
You Whining CLUELESS Brokedicks are a hoot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I've not shot a 223 or 223AI since yesterday. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Guilty again today. Hint..............

Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Brass Quality - 01/28/23
Gotta agree. I like Starline.

For everything.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Brass Quality - 01/28/23
I'm not talking Dog Schit rifles. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: mathman Re: Brass Quality - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gotta agree. I like Starline.

For everything.

Based upon many years of satisfaction with Starline straight wall handgun brass I really wanted to like their bottle neck rifle brass when it hit the market. Unfortunately, the 243 and 308 brass I tried was not good with respect to neck wall uniformity and being easily loaded into straight cartridges.

I have seen enough positive comments in more recent times to think maybe they've straightened out their product. I'll probably give them another try sometime.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Brass Quality - 01/28/23
I’ve only used a couple of bags of Starline in 6.5 CM, but case neck thickness is inconsistent on that lot. For competition I use Alpha or Lapua.
My Starline 243 Kreed is simply fhuqking sensational,in consistency,including neck thickness,weight and issued headspace. Shot the fhuqk outta the Waypoint this morning,with 112's to 1400yds+. Hint.

The 223 was equally as surprising. Hint.

Though I of course bleed Alpha and Lapooey. Hint..........
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: Brass Quality - 01/28/23
Anyone got a line on some 6mm BR Norma? I’ve got some Alpha for my 6mmBRA but would like some Lapua to fire form.
Just looked and I'm down to 500pcs of Virgin Lapooey 6BR. Hint...............
Hit a guy while he’s down.. grin
Cheer up,some of it is the old nasty schit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
Ha, now you’re bragging.

I learned not to linger, just got in the BR game late. Are you using the 112s in a BR or just the creed?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Brass Quality - 01/29/23
Yes. And 270,243 PPC AFI,243 Win,243AI,6-284 and Six Twat-Six. I love 'em everywhere. Hint.

Loading Twat-Six now. Hint..............

Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Brass Quality - 01/29/23
Originally Posted by Tyrone

You ever won a match with Norma, Lapua or Starline?

Have you ever lost a match because of Federal LC?

Eagerly awaiting that 1k match between Burns, RC and Stick.

I'd even pay $$$ to watch a live broadcast of it.
Just peeled another sack of Sig open. Mass,necks and headspace are fhuqking exceptional in uniformity. I'm AMAZED that their necks ain't bruised,due their paltry packaging. Hint.

Will catch most of the necks with .003" constriction,Smooch 112's and Waypoint on. Hint..............
Posted By: kingston Re: Brass Quality - 01/29/23
My Starline 243 Kreed is simply fhuqking sensational,in consistency,including neck thickness,weight and issued headspace. Shot the fhuqk outta the Waypoint this morning,with 112's to 1400yds+. Hint.

The 223 was equally as surprising. Hint.

Though I of course bleed Alpha and Lapooey. Hint..........

Whidden case gauges are pretty slick.
QueenKchunt,

I'm unfamiliar with said wares,do tell. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: Terryk Re: Brass Quality - 01/29/23
I bought a new digital scale, and I have a new pack of Hornady 260 brass. I was pretty shocked about the variation in weight. I also tried 108 grain lapua bullets, and everyone was 108.00.
I have new lapua and Norma, I’ll have to check them out.
Hornady brass is Dog Schit,though Norma worse. Had a 50pc lot of Norma XC,that varied 7 fhuqking grains. Pretty fhuqking funny! Hint.

In 260 I'm Alpha all the way and typically driving 308 Virgin false shoulders,whether 260 SALAMI or AI. I prefer LRP. Hint............
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Brass Quality - 01/29/23
Originally Posted by mathman
Based upon many years of satisfaction with Starline straight wall handgun brass I really wanted to like their bottle neck rifle brass when it hit the market. Unfortunately, the 243 and 308 brass I tried was not good with respect to neck wall uniformity and being easily loaded into straight cartridges.

I have seen enough positive comments in more recent times to think maybe they've straightened out their product. I'll probably give them another try sometime.

My thoughts as well.
I've had(have) some excepional Lots and think rather highly of Grendel and 223 in particular. Hint.

Though I'm talkin' High Zoot Custom Rifles. Hint..............
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Brass Quality - 01/30/23
'Stick: I just finished this 30BR as a backup to my primary rig. Cracking into a box of Lapua Gold Box 6BR....knowing that I'd dipped below the 1K mark....made me a little queasy in the tummy. It was just 50 so it passed as soon as I stated cutting the neck I.D.'s to .3070.

Norma's 6BR and 22/6 PPC brass has been very, very good. There's a bunch of it here in all three flavors. wink I wouldn't walk across the street for anything else 'Norma', though

Good shootin' -Al

Posted By: Tyrone Re: Brass Quality - 01/30/23
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I have read/heard that Lapua is the best. What are everyone's thoughts on other production brass hierarchy? How would you rank WW, RP, Starline, FC, LC, and others on consistency, weight etc. Specifically looking at 223.
If you are looking at this for an AR15, you won't be able to tell the difference between range pick-up LC and Lapua except in how much lighter your wallet will be.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Brass Quality - 01/30/23
Al,

I'm busy throwing 112's in Sig Seex Kreed brass this morning and fixin' to bolt some new scopes up. Hint.............

© 24hourcampfire