Home
Posted By: Paul39 .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/29/23
1:9 twist. Can it hold up accuracy-wise to 600 yards?

Yeah, I know it's not ideal.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/29/23
In 9" for me,it's Hornie 75 BTHP or bust. Hint...............
Posted By: Paul39 Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/29/23
Thanks. Are the Hornies GTG to 600?
The 75 Hornie's BC is vastly superior and a better choice,both near and far. LOVE their terminal effects too,which don't suck. 600yds is nothing for them. Hint..............
Posted By: Paul39 Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/29/23
What powder(s) would you suggest?
I bleed Lever'. Hint...............
Posted By: Tyrone Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/30/23
What rifle?
Posted By: RCL Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/30/23
Stick turned me on to Lever and I am a believer.
Tikka 8 twist in 223 AI.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/30/23
I hear good thangs,but pass the 75 ELD Smooches. Hint...................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: 79S Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/31/23
I shot 69’s all the way back on xtc matches. At 600 with 69’s better be good at wind calls. Also they shed velocity pretty quick. I shot plenty of 75 Hornady’s bthp at 600yds I been able to shoot clean a time or two. As stick says the 75 eld m is good one as well anymore that’s what I use for the 600yd line, I use N540. I used the 80 eld m at a 1000 (Brian Litz tested the bc on the 80gr eld-m bullet and it has a bc .505) Right now powder valley has 75gr hornady bthp priced right.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/31/23
I obviously default 88's,in everything that will house same and in Krunchentickers,that means 22 PPC AFI. Hint.................

Posted By: 79S Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I obviously default 88's,in everything that will house same and in Krunchentickers,that means 22 PPC AFI. Hint.................

I hustled few 88’s at 1000yd matches. Speaking of I need to buy more 88’s. We have 4-1000yd matches planned for this year. I did try 90 smk’s but the 88’s shot better for me at 1000yds.
Posted By: Kurtm Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/01/23
Wow, that went divergent fast! With a 1X9 twist, yes, it will hold accuracy to 600, and even beyond depending on velocity. For a 20" AR you can stretch 69s out to 800 or so. Most 1X9 barrels will also stabilize the 75 and 77 grain bullets as long as velocity is kept up. It was once said by a high power gunsmith a 1X9 twist will stabilize any bullet that can feed through the magazine.
Originally Posted by Kurtm
Wow, that went divergent fast! With a 1X9 twist, yes, it will hold accuracy to 600, and even beyond depending on velocity. For a 20" AR you can stretch 69s out to 800 or so. Most 1X9 barrels will also stabilize the 75 and 77 grain bullets as long as velocity is kept up. It was once said by a high power gunsmith a 1X9 twist will stabilize any bullet that can feed through the magazine.

Good post Kurt. The 69 is a great bullet. As for 77's working, I've had issues with those in a 1 in 9 twist. I guess YMMV on that one. The heaviest I shoot in my HBAR is 75gr. It actually prefers 69SMK over anything else I've tried though. The op's question was regarding 600 yards, not 1,000. The 69 definitely holds it's own at that range.
Posted By: 79S Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good post Kurt. The 69 is a great bullet. As for 77's working, I've had issues with those in a 1 in 9 twist. I guess YMMV on that one. The heaviest I shoot in my HBAR is 75gr. It actually prefers 69SMK over anything else I've tried though. The op's question was regarding 600 yards, not 1,000. The 69 definitely holds it's own at that range.

My only small sample was with an upper I picked up complete upper with a 16 inch 1-9 twist it shot 68-69 ok. It shot 75gr Hornady BTHP like crap.. I bought a 1-7 twist barrel to replace it.. But we are at like 200 feet elevation here. I imagine in your part of the world it probably would've did better.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/02/23
I'd rather pound 10 penny nails into my ear than shoot a 69 at 600 or beyond in the wind.

Love them at 300 and less.
Posted By: Kurtm Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/02/23
I would think a 10 penny nail would fit in most ear canals with very little pounding, and length wise just a nice shove should seat them..... Now a good 20 penny spike!!!!

Yes, like it said the 1X9 will stabilize a 69 if you keep the velocity up. A 16" barrel probably won't get the velocity needed unless you really push them, but some do shoot them.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/02/23
I would think a 10 penny nail would fit in most ear canals with very little pounding, and length wise just a nice shove should seat them..... Now a good 20 penny spike!!!!
Don't be gettin' crazy now! 😅
Posted By: keith Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/02/23
In 9" for me,it's Hornie 75 BTHP or bust. Hint...............

They work on hogs and deer also.
Posted By: Kurtm Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/03/23
So does an 8800GVW Dodge Diesel!
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'd rather pound 10 penny nails into my ear than shoot a 69 at 600 or beyond in the wind.

At 400, they shoot decent in the 1 in 9" Bushy barrel I got from my friend. I won't complain about 1" groups at 400 yards, but some of you have different requirements. Such is life..
Posted By: Tyrone Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/07/23

At 400, they shoot decent in the 1 in 9" Bushy barrel I got from my friend. I won't complain about 1" groups at 400 yards, but some of you have different requirements. Such is life..
400 is 200 less than 600. smile Plus, I guarantee you didn't shoot that group in the wind. 69s are very accurate bullets, they shoot tighter than 77s in calm conditions in most of my guns. 52s are even more accurate as a rule, but I won't shoot those beyond 200 because of wind.
Posted By: ldholton Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/07/23

yes. at 5/600 yard range is where BC starts to make a difference.
many times flat based non-high BC type bullets are more forgiving on getting to shoot accurately.. for closer range work
Posted By: MikeS Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/07/23

400 is 200 less than 600. smile Plus, I guarantee you didn't shoot that group in the wind. 69s are very accurate bullets, they shoot tighter than 77s in calm conditions in most of my guns. 52s are even more accurate as a rule, but I won't shoot those beyond 200 because of wind.

Agreed, when I dabbled with Service Rifle 25 years ago, 69s were mostly used at 200 if even then. By 300 it was 77s with 80s at 600. Mostly Match Kings, but some JLKs and even Hornadys. That was here in Phoenix, so I would expect regional variations.
Mike, I used to shoot 52s at 200 because they shoot so well and have such little recoil. But I got burnt shooting them in the wind, so now I shoot 69s at 200.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/07/23
Ladies,

BC benefits start at the muzzle and never wane. Hint...............
Ladies,

Recoil starts at ignition and never wanes until the bullet has travelled beyond your control.
Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

It is an oft encountered constant,that CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards,just "happen" to be Thieving Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Though it grants an Imaginary Pretend Reprieve from suffering being themself,if only for fleeting moments,as they "live" vicariously. Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and the durations of same? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: MikeS Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/07/23
Ladies,

Recoil starts at ignition and never wanes until the bullet has travelled beyond your control.

Barrel time matters...
Originally Posted by MikeS
Ladies,

Barrel time matters...
Fug stick only knows BC. If you can't put it in JBM and spit out a result, he can't comprehend that it might matter.
Posted By: ChrisF Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/07/23
Accuracy wise, they'll shoot tight. Wind wise, you'll get blown around a bit at 600 yards. That said, I'll say that I've seen great scores posted at 600 yards by super human wind dopers.

Army shot 69gr Federal Gold Medal Match at 200 and 300 yards for a long time, even after the 75 Hornady's were available (I think they eventually switched to 77 Sierras). When I asked them why, the reply was that the 69's shot tighter than the the heaviers available at the time...and that they could read wind.

I've shot 77's out of a 9 twist that were marginally stable. They grouped well, but the holes were a bit oblong. But I know good shooters that were choosing 9 twist barrels to shoot Sierra 80's because they were getting better accuracy at 600 yards than 8 and 7 twists. I'm never that lucky, so I don't do it.
You Drooling GoogleGals keep at it,from your Couchbound Kchunts. Barrel Time,is far easier to CONTROL,than wind and thus the impetus for BC. Hint.

Barrel Time. Hint. LAUGHING!

Feel free to cite Lock Time too. Google as you MUST. Hint.

You Do NOTHING Kchunts be SURE to start a Thread,if/when you fire your first Live Round of the New Year. If only in fairness,it's been 17 minutes since I last shot. Hint.

I've never seen a true 9" RPM,not stabilize Hornie 75 HPBT's,in any/all atmospheres. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
When was the last time you competed in a match, much less won one, stick?
Keep pounding the pavement,stealing pics,"living" vicariously and DREAMING aloud. Hell...perhaps next month,will be The BIG Day when you get to fire the 1st Live Round of 2023?!? Then again. HINT.

How many times a day do you think about me and what are the average durations of same,as you try to skirt the suffering of being you? HINT.

"Slow" day yesterday,too. Hint.

Stick, I could go months not shooting and still outshoot you with an AR.
Trybone,

It's not a matter of "could" not shoot,but the fhuqking HILARITY of simplistic facts,that you do NOT and the copious very WELL founded Insecurities that follow suit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

At least you can "afford" to steal pics and "live" vicariously,as you DREAM aloud. Hint.

How many times a day do you think about me and what are the average durations of same,as you try to skirt the suffering of being you? HINT.

"Slow" day yesterday,too. Hint.

Unfortunately, I'm confronted with the thought of you every time I see you posting about things you know nothing about.

Too scared to take me up on the AR shooting? I figured. You'll just continue with the Rumpelstiltskin posts. A legend in your own mind.

Looks like ARC has an EIC in July.
No (flailing) response yet?

What, does it get under your skin that someone you so look down upon can outshoot you?
Trybone,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

At least you can "afford" to steal pics and "live" vicariously,as you DREAM aloud. Hint.

Why is it your EVERY thought and "move",is fueled by me,yet you make less than zero fhuqks to anyone? Keep extolling those very WELL founded and countless Insecurities,as you set astride your Couchbound Kchunt. Hint.

ARC's have done been here,for more than a "while". Though "only" in .224" and .243". Google as you MUST and nod that pencil neck,to swing that pointy head like you "understand". Hint.

Cheer up,yesterday was a "slow" day too. Hint.

Be SURE to start a Thread,if/when you fire your first Live Round of the New Year. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Try to keep up, Fug Stick.

ARC - Alaska Rifle Club not "Advanced Rifle Cartridge". laugh 🤣😂🤣

https://akrifleclub.com

You really are a stranger to the range! 😂
Posted By: 79S Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/07/23
This year the EIC is planed for 23-Jun Friday 16:00 CMP EIC Match (2/3/600yd)at JBER. On 13-Jul Thursday 17:00 NRA Mid Range Prone / F Class 40rds (600yd)JBER, On 14-Jul Friday 16:00 NRA Service Rifle + Practice (2/3/600yd) JBER. On 16-Jul Sunday 9:00 NRA Long Range Match (1000yd) - USSA-Talkeetna. Come on out shoot, we use shotmarkers so no pit duty. We have 3 days of shooting different disciplines. Bring a bullseye pistol or any pistol and shoot a bullseye match on 15 Saturday. So really 4 days of shooting..
Trybone,

I miss nothing and rather enjoy your floundering,as your EVERY thought and action,revolves around me...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Why is it your EVERY thought and "move",is fueled by me,yet you make less than zero fhuqks to anyone? Keep extolling those very WELL founded and countless Insecurities,as you set astride your Couchbound Kchunt. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute",though only by stealing my pics,prose and punctuation. HINT.

You Whining Brokedick Professional Victims are a HOOT! Hint.

Cheer up,yesterday was a "slow" day too. Hint.

Be SURE to start a Thread,if/when you fire your first Live Round of the New Year. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Why is it that you cling so tightly to that screenshot and go to such lengths to post all those pictures every time I post?

I think I'm the one on somebody's mind.

It just eats you up that I'm a better AR shooter than you. That's OK.

Maybe if you diet hard enough you'll be able to get into a decent enough sitting position to hit the target 6/10 times.
I'll bet 79s would even coach you. You know, show you how to shoot.
Posted By: 79S Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/07/23
Why is it that you cling so tightly to that screenshot and go to such lengths to post all those pictures every time I post?

I think I'm the one on somebody's mind.

It just eats you up that I'm a better AR shooter than you. That's OK.

Maybe if you diet hard enough you'll be able to get into a decent enough sitting position to hit the target 6/10 times.
I'll bet 79s would even coach you. You know, show you how to shoot.

Ph uck my fat ass needs needs to lose weight before shooting season gets here. I'm fat lol..
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Accuracy wise, they'll shoot tight. Wind wise, you'll get blown around a bit at 600 yards. That said, I'll say that I've seen great scores posted at 600 yards by super human wind dopers.

Army shot 69gr Federal Gold Medal Match at 200 and 300 yards for a long time, even after the 75 Hornady's were available (I think they eventually switched to 77 Sierras). When I asked them why, the reply was that the 69's shot tighter than the the heaviers available at the time...and that they could read wind.

I've shot 77's out of a 9 twist that were marginally stable. They grouped well, but the holes were a bit oblong. But I know good shooters that were choosing 9 twist barrels to shoot Sierra 80's because they were getting better accuracy at 600 yards than 8 and 7 twists. I'm never that lucky, so I don't do it.

That is interesting Chris. I have a schidt ton of 69's and have had issues with 77's in 1 in 9 twist. They did not stabilize well at distance: Past 400 yards. YMMV, I guess based on the elevation you shoot them. I'll keep using the 69, as I know it works well in my HBAR. Stability is a big part of precision at long range. If they do not stabilize at 600, why use them??? Groups will be abysmal to non existent from what I've seen, when running a bullet that does not stabilize well. I've also seen some rifles print well at 100 and at 500 yards, really go sideways. Hell, I shoot 53's in some slow twist barrels because they just work. Knowing what works well in your rifle is key. Knowing what doesn't work is also pertinent:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
WTF does an F class X ring measure at 600 yards??? Fill me in on that one. I'll shoot 10 rounds for score at 600, if that will make you happy. Glad to do it..

If I want to fu ck around and shoot at my clubs long range silhouette shoot with this bullet, it works just fine.

What I do know is at a measly 400 yards, the wind does not affect the 69gr SMK much too:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you guys are not getting the same results, that is kind of on you. I'll be sure to shoot the 69 at 600 yards, since that is 200 more than 400 (damn, some of you guys are math majors) and report back. Should all be X's, I'm sure. I don't expect them to fizzle out after 400, but you never know???? Stranger things have happened.
Posted By: MikeS Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/09/23
You may do even better at F Class than you have at your long range varmint silhouette shoots. You should give it a try. Take enough ammo for 20 shot strings.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/09/23
Winds usually range from 5-25mph at Perry, with I'd guess about 10-18mph being average. 10-18 within the span of about 15 seconds, switching from L-R even quicker.

How are the winds where you shoot, when you shoot?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/09/23
Originally Posted by 79S
Ph uck my fat ass needs needs to lose weight before shooting season gets here. I'm fat lol..
Stick, I think that is 79S' nice way of saying "F off".

Maybe you'll be able to control your ego long enough to get someone who doesn't know you to show you the ropes.

We appreciate that you do the best you can given your meager physical gifts. But look at the bright side - you can get more wood out of a tree because you can cut it lower without stooping over.
Posted By: 14Homer Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/16/23
Originally Posted by 79S
This year the EIC is planed for 23-Jun Friday 16:00 CMP EIC Match (2/3/600yd)at JBER. On 13-Jul Thursday 17:00 NRA Mid Range Prone / F Class 40rds (600yd)JBER, On 14-Jul Friday 16:00 NRA Service Rifle + Practice (2/3/600yd) JBER. On 16-Jul Sunday 9:00 NRA Long Range Match (1000yd) - USSA-Talkeetna. Come on out shoot, we use shotmarkers so no pit duty. We have 3 days of shooting different disciplines. Bring a bullseye pistol or any pistol and shoot a bullseye match on 15 Saturday. So really 4 days of shooting..
Originally Posted by 79S

No pit duty sounds pretty good. I haven’t shot over there for some time. I may try and go over this year.
Posted By: 79S Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/16/23
Originally Posted by 14Homer
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

No pit duty sounds pretty good. I haven’t shot over there for some time. I may try and go over this year.

Come on up, bring friends. Should be a great 4 days of shooting. Pedneau is a real nice range, and yes no pit duty.
Posted By: 14Homer Re: .223 69 gr Sierra MK. - 02/16/23
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Come on up, bring friends. Should be a great 4 days of shooting. Pedneau is a real nice range, and yes no pit duty.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I’ve shot there before, and it was nice. But I haven’t been there since they added the new targets. I first shot there with a AR15 with 69 grain bullets. Then I went to a M1A and 168 grain Sierras and now I am back to a AR15 with 77 and 80 grain bullets.
© 24hourcampfire