Home
Posted By: ApolloF7 .308 Ruger American - 03/10/23
Relatively new shooter, 18th birthday is in three weeks.

Bought a Ruger American predator in .308 22” barrel. How are these groups from a $450 dollar rifle?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/YhX8c9k
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: .308 Ruger American - 03/10/23
Very nice! My .308 American does the same! Damn thing out shoots my M77.... they are great rifle just wish they put better stocks on them.
Posted By: drop_point Re: .308 Ruger American - 03/10/23
What does this have to do with competitive shooting?
Posted By: ApolloF7 Re: .308 Ruger American - 03/11/23
Well I’m looking for advice on what groups to look for so I am asking people who know their stuff. This was the only group kinda close so…
Posted By: 99in22_250 Re: .308 Ruger American - 03/11/23
Welcome ApolloF7, while not a competitive shooter myself, this Forum is also where I would have sought advice on your topic. Just purchased the same rifle and will be following this thread to glean what I can.

Rich
Awesome, I hope you like it, i put mine in a magpul stock and it’s a shooter, I highly recommend it.
Posted By: ldholton Re: .308 Ruger American - 03/11/23
Ruger Americans in my opinion are probably the most accurate for the dollar you will find.
what distance was groups shot ? 100? if so not really up to competitive interest if that's what you're asking. to shoot for fun and see what it's like in your area find a factory class to compete in..
Posted By: AH64guy Re: .308 Ruger American - 03/11/23
Originally Posted by ApolloF7
Well I’m looking for advice on what groups to look for so I am asking people who know their stuff. This was the only group kinda close so…

For a starter rifle - it’s not “bad”. You haven’t laid out which competition you’re going after - 3-Gun, PRS, bench, or such, need to know a little about what you are pursuing to give meaningful advice.

Things that generally get replaced on the RAR:

The stock - you’ve done that already, and the Magpul isn’t a horrible choice, it’s way better than the factory stock, and you’ve picked up box magazine feeding if you didn’t already have it.

Rear bolt shroud - it’s plastic, and can pop off over time. The aluminum replacement is relatively inexpensive.

Scope bases: factory are ok, but most end up going to a single rail sooner or later.

Your groups are good for the investment. But - I’d shoot a few 5 - 10 shot strings to see where you really are. You don’t need to cook the barrel, take your time and let it cool over the longer strings. But, you’ll also see what the rifle does as it heats up - another factor in competition accuracy.

Match rifles tend to be heavier barreled to handle the extra heat, lighter barreled rifles tend to open up their groups as the heat increases.

The Magpul stock has a relatively flexible forearm, you can bend it enough to touch the barrel if you really bear down on it locking in a shooting weld with a bipod. The stock touch can “throw” a shot where you weren’t expecting.

IMHO - you need to go shoot whatever match it is that you’re looking at. Bring what you have, and do your best. I’ve shown up to many shoot way under equipped, had competitors show me what worked, and built up over time. If it’s a good match, people will want to help you get your gear right.
Ok cool, yeah not really looking into matches yet, just looking to see what grouping experts thought. My magpul stock at least in the forearm is very stiff and HEAVILY freefloated. I was thinking about getting a Mcgowen barrel down the line but we will see 🤭
Posted By: kwg020 Re: .308 Ruger American - 03/11/23
Originally Posted by Steelruger22
Very nice! My .308 American does the same! Damn thing out shoots my M77.... they are great rifle just wish they put better stocks on them.
I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 22-250. I have only had the chance to shoot it at 50 yards with a load I just through together with some used brass. None the less I was impressed with it's accuracy. If the weather would cooperate, I'd get back to the range for some serious load development. I agree with everyone's assessment of the Ruger American stocks but I will work with what I have, at least for now.

kwg
Posted By: ApolloF7 Re: .308 Ruger American - 03/12/23
One thing I will say is that you can find the magpul stock for pretty good prices if you dig, I got mine in centerfireguns.com. You can then sell just the stock for $60-$120 on eBay.
© 24hourcampfire