Home
Been shooting for several years off of the bench, mostly for working up loads etc... I tend to go thru periods where I am screwing up something in my form but cannot figure out what is going on.

I understand that a fired rifle will recoil back with some muzzle jump. But my problem is that, at times, the rifle will recoil back and up to the left . . . hence the flyer. I will have 2 touching, or almost so, and then the 3rd will get the weird recoil and end up an inch or so out.

Is it shoulder pressure? Incorrect placement on the bag?

I usually get this when shooting standard form with the left arm tucked?wrapped under the rifle. If I rest my left hand over the scope I do not get the weird recoil, but there is more movement on the bullseye.

Thanks,

Long
Dry fire ALOT. You should see zero movement of the reticle when the trigger breaks if your doing it correctly. If your right handed, your right hand should be pulling back the rifle into your shoulder firmly. The fingers should be pushing straight back to your shoulder, not gripping. Your thumb should also not be gripping, merely laying there. Your trigger finger should not touch the stock, only the trigger. Your face should not have much pressure on the stock at all. Work on the same cheekweld each time. Also, dont forget to check for parallax. If you already know all this I appologize.

The recoil movement your experiencing is where the rifle wants to go with respect to your body position and how your holding the rifle. You dont want to try to stop this, it is what it is. You need consistency for accuracy. If your prone, its different cause you want to find your natural point of aim, which when done correctly will cause the rifle to recoil more straight back.

Dry fire everyday for a few minutes for a week or 2 and go back see how it goes. Ill bet youll do better.

Hope it helps.
Thanks Jim D:
I printed your advice, and will try it myself.
Smitty of the North
Great info for us novice shooters, thanks
Jim,

Thanks. Been out of town, but will try your advice.

thanks,

Long
© 24hourcampfire