Home
I see these short barreled 12 guage guns like the tac 14 or shockwave, how would they be compared to one of the 9mm pistols like the cz scorpion as a home defense gun? My thinking was the shockwave would be more powerful but harder to control. Please let me know what your thoughts would be?
I would think both are inferior to a AR15 5.56 for home defense.
if gun weight and recoil are a concern take a look at the charger pistol by ruger in 9mm if you can find one
For a pistol in a combative environment, I would go with a standard round in a reputable platform (HK, Glock, Sig, Etc). A long gun trumps a handgun for speed, accuracy, and power. Assuming you intend to shoulder the shockwave, and it works well being used like that, it would be a more capable platform.

Of course, the biggest question is what can you handle well? If you have trained a lot on a regular pistol, but not a long gun platform, the pistol might be a better choice.
Originally Posted by SeanD
I would think both are inferior to a AR15 5.56 for home defense.

This.
Originally Posted by Marbles
For a pistol in a combative environment, I would go with a standard round in a reputable platform (HK, Glock, Sig, Etc). A long gun trumps a handgun for speed, accuracy, and power. Assuming you intend to shoulder the shockwave, and it works well being used like that, it would be a more capable platform.

Of course, the biggest question is what can you handle well? If you have trained a lot on a regular pistol, but not a long gun platform, the pistol might be a better choice.

My 10 year old daughter can shoot an ar15 well. It ain’t hard.
A short barreled 12 gauge shotgun in closed area of a house and dark would be blinding and extremely deafening for shooter and intruder.

How do you shoulder a Shockwave?
Originally Posted by UPhiker

How do you shoulder a Shockwave?

It's called a brace.
I'll take a short barreled shotgun loaded with 1oz T shot over any other weapon for CQB, any day.
I like the odd's in my favor and unlike a pistol or a rifle that's shooting one projectile each shot, one shell of a 1 oz 12ga T shot load has 52 .20 cal projectiles going 1,500 fps.
14 of those in my KSG= mucho trouble.
I have a 20 ga Moss 500 with an Cyl bore barrel for my wife loaded with 3/4 oz T shot, that shoot 39 pellets and has hardly any recoil.
While it doesn't fill a door with pellet's,with a 16.5 inch open choked barrel, you stand a better chance of hitting something and have less collateral damage.
Way betterer than an M4 or pistol.
SJC
Originally Posted by shoots100
I'll take a short barreled shotgun loaded with 1oz T shot over any other weapon for CQB, any day.
I like the odd's in my favor and unlike a pistol or a rifle that's shooting one projectile each shot, one shell of a 1 oz 12ga T shot load has 52 .20 cal projectiles going 1,500 fps.
14 of those in my KSG= mucho trouble.
I have a 20 ga Moss 500 with an Cyl bore barrel for my wife loaded with 3/4 oz T shot, that shoot 39 pellets and has hardly any recoil.
While it doesn't fill a door with pellet's,with a 16.5 inch open choked barrel, you stand a better chance of hitting something and have less collateral damage.
Way betterer than an M4 or pistol.
SJC

Have you ever patterned it at close range-5-10yds?
Indoors I still prefer a handgun, preferably with a mounted light. I want to have one hand free and make it harder for someone to get their hands on it if things get close.

If it's going to be a long gun indoors I'll take an AR in 223 over a shotgun every time. You get 1/6 the recoil with 6X the ammo and at those close ranges no shotgun is going to give a pattern more than a few inches. Might as well use a rifle.

OK, technically it's a pistol, but I like this

https://ruger.com/products/ar556Pistol/models.html

A shotguns 2 biggest assets are less cost, and a wide pattern making hits easier on moving targets. I do have a shotgun, but it's role is outdoors at ranges between 10-40 yards. Nothing inside my home greater than about 3-5 yards where a shotgun pattern would be useless.
© 24hourcampfire