Home
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
Guys, I never had a desire for an AR. I am more of a bolt action, accuracy, hand loading, hunting guy. But in light of all the social chaos going on, and uptick in crime, I am thinking of buying a semiauto self defense rifle. A buddy recommended a Daniel Defense, but I don’want to spend that much. What’s the Best Buy for $800 or less.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
The one you can actually find in the current climate. Or piece meal one together from parts

Not easy to find right now

You can easily upgrade parts later.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
go to primary arms and get a anderson lower and a stag upper for 650 ish
add a Geissele bcg for 140 and get which ever charging handle you want and you will come in right at 800.
Posted By: Rob96 Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
I managed to find a Del Ton Echo 316M a few weeks ago. 16" 4150CMV barrel, F marked FSB, HPT/MPI bolt for $499.99. It's pretty slim out there so you have to keep looking. On the opposite side I saw a S&W M&P 15 Sport OR which has a MSRP of $725 on the rack for $900 and they sold.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Guys, I never had a desire for an AR. I am more of a bolt action, accuracy, hand loading, hunting guy. But in light of all the social chaos going on, and uptick in crime, I am thinking of buying a semiauto self defense rifle. A buddy recommended a Daniel Defense, but I don’want to spend that much. What’s the Best Buy for $800 or less.

there is no best buy on AR's right now. POS AR's are selling for big coin. Bite the bullet so to speak and get something you know will work, DD is a great gun, well built, and won't let you down in a pinch. Buy once, cry once.
Posted By: viking Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
Meh, get a Mini 14.😆
Posted By: SS336 Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
PSA PA-15 nitride with rail is working fine for me, and is less than $800. Sighting it in at 25 yds for a bowling pin shoot Thursday. Seems to be well made and hasn’t had a hiccup shooting anything yet.
Might want to look at something like it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: markak338fed Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
Very impressed with the Springfield Saint for the money. Decent out of the box trigger, mid length gas system and very tight.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
Originally Posted by deerstalker
a stag upper for 650 ish

Good luck finding a Stag upper......................

Unfortunately, because of their size, PSA is most likely to have something on any given day, next day, it'll be gone.

Some PSA stuff is / can be good..............sometimes, not so much.

Dealing with them is a PITA, IMO, especially so, & very slow if it's an FFL item.

MM
Posted By: SS336 Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
It took about 3 weeks to get the above AR to my FFL, and it was in stock. Then it took 8 days to get the Oregon background check done. eek But there’s nothing at any of the local stores. That being said, I am very happy with the rifle. Seems to be very well made, I did put in a Larue MBT in it which it needed. It’s also a budget part. Second stage breaks at 2#’s,very nice.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/22/20
Originally Posted by markak338fed
Very impressed with the Springfield Saint for the money. Decent out of the box trigger, mid length gas system and very tight.

I agree. If you don't want to spend the money for the FN/Colt/BCM/DD/LMT, it's probably the best bang for the buck.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/24/20

I've been in your shoes. You'll not regret buying an ar. But be warned, they multiply!!!! Also, a properly tuned and built AR will keep up with a good bolt action in terms of accuracy. Where the AR will rival that bolt gun is in the amount of rounds downrange in a hurry. I recently shot a match where it was only AR's. One member from one of the bigger gunclubs in the Portland area suggested a speed shoot, since they are AR's and all. His definition of "speed shoot" was 10 rounds in 60 seconds. That's what they do in the big city, you know... After we went a couple rounds of that, I said, "now lets have a real speed shoot". 10 rounds in 10 seconds. Shooting for score at 100 yards. Try that with your bolt gun. I can almost run a bolt that fast off the bench, but not quite...Needless to say the Portland and Vancouver guys gave up the ghost and didn't want to play the fun games anymore, after getting spanked... And for the Willamette guy saying AR's are impossible to find, they are out there. You just have to look for them. I visit gunshops in that area all the time and have found countless AR's in the $500.00 range. Yes, even recently. For the dumbfuc ks that didn't believe me and pm'd me, I supplied the links to 3 such rifles in the Portland area..Didn't hear a damn peep out of them afterwards either..
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I've been in your shoes. You'll not regret buying an ar. But be warned, they multiply!!!! Also, a properly tuned and built AR will keep up with a good bolt action in terms of accuracy. Where the AR will rival that bolt gun is in the amount of rounds downrange in a hurry. I recently shot a match where it was only AR's. One member from one of the bigger gunclubs in the Portland area suggested a speed shoot, since they are AR's and all. His definition of "speed shoot" was 10 rounds in 60 seconds. That's what they do in the big city, you know... After we went a couple rounds of that, I said, "now lets have a real speed shoot". 10 rounds in 10 seconds. Shooting for score at 100 yards. Try that with your bolt gun. I can almost run a bolt that fast off the bench, but not quite...Needless to say the Portland and Vancouver guys gave up the ghost and didn't want to play the fun games anymore, after getting spanked... And for the Willamette guy saying AR's are impossible to find, they are out there. You just have to look for them. I visit gunshops in that area all the time and have found countless AR's in the $500.00 range. Yes, even recently. For the dumbfuc ks that didn't believe me and pm'd me, I supplied the links to 3 such rifles in the Portland area..Didn't hear a damn peep out of them afterwards either..

You're an idiot. You didn't hear back because I told you my buddy who was looking lives in Medford. Had nothing to do with not believing you. It's not real convenient for him to drive four hours one way to Portland. I had no idea where you lived up until then and was hoping maybe those deals were somewhere closer. Sorry you didn't get the praise you felt you deserved.

Oh, and the pawn shop in the link you provided doesn't ship.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/24/20
it depends on where you live as to availability.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/24/20
It also depends if you're in the shop when a shipment comes in...they don't last long. Of course, with the multitude of scares that we've had the last 12 years, if you don't have an AR by now, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Of course, with the multitude of scares that we've had the last 12 years, if you don't have anhalf a dozen AR's by now, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Fixed it for ya.................... grin

MM
Posted By: TWR Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/24/20
Every shop I made this week looked like they had been robbed.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/24/20
Big shop near me has S&W MP15s for 729.00. I dont think that is bad. I know they were lower, but I got mine for near that a good while ago.
I don't think I would sell mine for that give the current "crisis".
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by markak338fed

I agree. If you don't want to spend the money for the FN/Colt/BCM/DD/LMT, it's probably the best bang for the buck.

Saw a Saint that I would consider a very nice gun going out the door at the LGS yesterday. Said he paid around $800 for it. Came with its own soft side carrying case. Don't know the model#.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/25/20

I like Rock River Arms and this looks like a decent buy for a no frills SHTF rifle. From the looks of the shell deflector, I don't think it's been shot much. I believe a Government/LE restricted rifle should have Mil-Spec parts. Offer up $650.00 shipped. Worst he can do is say no.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Rock-River-LAR-15/21-2023692/
Posted By: TWR Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/25/20
Nothing about RR is mil spec, nothing.
Originally Posted by TWR

Ok. Don't have to worry about that one anyway, looks like it's now spoken for.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/25/20
I’d buy whichever one you want . Just tune out all the negativity .

Happy Trails

Bob
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/25/20
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

I like Rock River Arms and this looks like a decent buy for a no frills SHTF rifle. From the looks of the shell deflector, I don't think it's been shot much. I believe a Government/LE restricted rifle should have Mil-Spec parts. Offer up $650.00 shipped. Worst he can do is say no.

That appears to be an AWB-94 era gun. Since it has an evil flash hider, etc., it couldn't be sold to mere civilians at that time.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

That appears to be an AWB-94 era gun. Since it has an evil flash hider, etc., it couldn't be sold to mere civilians at that time.

Thanks for the knowledge, never would've guessed that.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/26/20
Originally Posted by viking
Meh, get a Mini 14.😆

Just did. Lucked into one at one of my favorite online sellers. Had a Saint a couple years ago, but don't care much for the form-factor on ARs.

Definitely a sellers' market on semis, again.
Posted By: viking Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/30/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Meh, get a Mini 14.😆

Just did. Lucked into one at one of my favorite online sellers. Had a Saint a couple years ago, but don't care much for the form-factor on ARs.

A buddy gave me 17 rounds of some steel cased Russian stuff. He said his Anderson AR wouldn’t eat it. I said the Mini would and it did.
Posted By: charleeontop Re: Best AR under $800 - 07/31/20
I know I'm late to the game But. Start here and get a bolt carrier and other parts as described in th Parts is Parts thread.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-r15-556-16in-build-kit-mossy-oak-brush.html?trk_msg=IUNQI0C14QNK3EAI1G3UGKOKRK&trk_contact=PRONIAHTI69QGH9TL8A6LEIFBO&trk_sid=F967NCMHLT9MPNNFQ2QCU0H8H4&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.cdnnsports.com%2fremington-r15-556-16in-build-kit-mossy-oak-brush.html%23.XyLOLi2z3UI&utm_campaign=CDNN+Sale+7-30#.XyLOLi2z3UI
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Best AR under $800 - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Meh, get a Mini 14.😆

A buddy gave me 17 rounds of some steel cased Russian stuff. He said his Anderson AR wouldn’t eat it. I said the Mini would and it did.

Some say they're more reliable in general than ARs, but that'd be hard to prove. I like the size and shape, and was always a fan of M1s and 14s. Like the SS too. The standard 5-round mag is flush and should carry well on woods walks, and today I found 30-rounders for sale (OEM) and picked up a couple for "bidness" if it comes to that. When it comes in I'll swap out the gas port and buffer for Accuracy Systems parts to tame it a bit.

My second choice was an AR-556 MPR, but I found this one first. Anyway, to each his own.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Best AR under $800 - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by TWR

milspec means nothing, Ive been in for 23 years. Milspec is just the lowest bidder
Posted By: TWR Re: Best AR under $800 - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by TWR

milspec means nothing, Ive been in for 23 years. Milspec is just the lowest bidder

No, just the lowest quality accepted to bid, trust me, there is far worse out there than mil spec.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Best AR under $800 - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by TWR

Please. Just. Stop.
© 24hourcampfire