Home
Posted By: LJBass ATF Suppressor wait time? - 07/23/20
Anyone know. I assume it would be like waiting for the shelves of ammo and reloading supplies to return to normal... not anytime in the near future.

I'ld like to try one out on a rimfire, but I've made it this long without one. THanks
Posted By: cwh2 Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 07/23/20
This is about the best info I've found.
ATF cashed my check in February on transfer through the Silencer shop kiosk Single Shot Trust. Still waiting. Hoping to at least get it at some point this fall. May as well get it now and forget about it then you’ll have a nice surprise. Easier said than done though!
Posted By: AH64guy Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 07/23/20
We are seeing six to eight months as a general return.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 07/23/20
My last 3 all took about 10 months. Just got one back about 4 weeks ago. Shop owner said still seeing 8-10 months wait times

just do it You won’t regret it. The wait will be over before you know it

I’m probably going to do a SBR. Those are coming back less than 45 days which is crazy
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Just do it You won’t regret it.

Spot on

The wait will be over before you know it

But you couldn't be more wrong here

Jerry
Took 7 months from December, no trust. Choose a retailer that is not a dumbass. Get on it.
Form 1 done as an Efile takes 30 days give or take a week.
Posted By: LJBass Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I have a lathe. That would be tempting. Probably need to look into a "trust" then start looking at paperwork. Sounds like the wait is the same it has been for years.
Posted By: RDW Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 07/24/20
Approved in April, about a year after purchase and still waiting on the stamp.
Posted By: BigNate Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 07/26/20
Mine took just over 10 months with a form 4. I've been told a form one gets approved faster for some reason but have not done another one yet.
Posted By: Muffin Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 07/26/20
NFA received my Form 4 paperwork 11/15/2019...

Approved on 4/30/2020

165 days +/-

Stamp received about 10 days later..............
Posted By: Remsen Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 08/06/20
My last two cans took 3 months....I guess I got lucky, using Silencerco and the trust.
Originally Posted by BigNate
Mine took just over 10 months with a form 4. I've been told a form one gets approved faster for some reason but have not done another one yet.

Electronically Filed (EFiled) Form 1s average slightly over 30 days.

Much less work for the ATF as all the data is entered by the applicant.

Most EFiled Form 1s do their own pictures as JPEGs and do their fingerprints themselves using ATF supplied cards (free) and a cheap ink pad.

The tax stamp is emailed to you as a PDF that you can print out instead of waiting for the ATF to mail a paper copy in a paper Form 4 transfer.

30 days sure beats 6-12 months.
Where does one buy parts to make their own?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Where does one buy parts to make their own?

Throw Form 1 builder into a search engine and you will have many hours of research.

We do a Solvent Trap that is designed to be a cleaning tool but could be converted into a suppressor.

Here is a video that is a good place to start.

Posted By: rost495 Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 08/07/20
Originally Posted by LJBass
Anyone know. I assume it would be like waiting for the shelves of ammo and reloading supplies to return to normal... not anytime in the near future.

I'ld like to try one out on a rimfire, but I've made it this long without one. THanks

if you have to ask you don't need one. If you don't start at some point you'll never have one.

I"ve NEVER understood why any of it matters. The wait is the wait. This is a Mc Donalds society and I hate that part. OTOH I think suppressors should be across the counter
Posted By: okie Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 10/12/20
No matter how you obtain a can you are being TAXED to be ergonomic. That's wrong and this tax should be abolished
Posted By: Tyrone Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 10/12/20
Goodness, you need to edit the music in that video! It's so repulsive I was checking for another opened tab in my browser, thinking another video was playing at the same time!
Posted By: JPro Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 10/12/20
I agree that the tax is nonsense, but I found that video very interesting. I had no idea that a DIY Form 1 could be done "right" for centerfire rifle use. I'm curious to the accuracy of the DIY version vs. the factory-built suppressor.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 10/12/20
My last 3 all took about 10 months. Just got one back about 4 weeks ago. Shop owner said still seeing 8-10 months wait times

just do it You won’t regret it. The wait will be over before you know it

I’m probably going to do a SBR. Those are coming back less than 45 days which is crazy

Wouldn’t count on that. I submitted a form 1 efile for my SP5 august 15. Still nothing.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: ATF Suppressor wait time? - 10/13/20
Yea sometimes wait times vary even from shop to shop and day of submit to day of submit.

Just spoke again with the dealer I use. Said he has been averaging around 40-50 days for his form 1 e file still but said that is probably about to go up again as he is getting lots of form 1 filings recently

Hopefully yours comes back very soon
Can someone explain the form 1 DIY process? Admittedly uneducated. I see the "solvent traps" online. Are you just buying the tube and then fabricating the inner parts? Or do other companies make the inner parts that would be welded into the tube? Thanks in advance and hopefully these aren't stupid questions grin
From what I've held in my hands, all you might need is the Form 1 itself, some means of engraving the serial number, and a carefully operated drill press. Want to get fancy and use slant baffles, well then a mill would do that. Ditto for adding strategically located venting. Putting the through hole in the already spotted internal piece would be better done on a lathe, but in no way would it be necessary.

None of what I've seen would be suitable for centerfire rifle, and I would be very careful if using with a high volume of 9mm or bigger. All components were aluminum, and the assembly was screw-together. While finish was actually very good, clearances were very much on the large size.
Originally Posted by LJBass
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I have a lathe. That would be tempting. Probably need to look into a "trust" then start looking at paperwork. Sounds like the wait is the same it has been for years.

No. It's a lot shorter now. Ah64 has it right.
© 24hourcampfire