Home
Posted By: TexasBBQ Double fires? - 08/30/20
So, I had something happen to me yesterday at the range that I've never encountered before.

I was shooting my two Rock River AR's that I've owned for a couple of years now with some new Black Hills 60gr SP ammo and experienced double fires on both rifles! I'd never even heard of this happening before.

Both rifles have drop in triggers, one a Timney Impact 3lb pull and one a Rise Armament 2.5lb pull. I was shooting off bags and rest and it was 103 degrees though.

I just remembered that I installed UTG Accurizing Wedges into both rifles and this was the first time to fire since. Would that possibly cause this?

Thanks for any help.

BBQ
Posted By: Terryk Re: Double fires? - 08/30/20
I would try different ammo, seems unlikely that both rifles have mechanical issues.
Maybe email Black Hills, they may have had a recall.
Posted By: TWR Re: Double fires? - 08/30/20
More than likely you were bump firing. I know my cousin had a 223 wssm with a Jewel trigger in it and I couldn't fire a single shot from a bench, it always doubled unless I pulled the trigger hard and held it back.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Double fires? - 09/01/20
yep bump fire with 3 lb triggers is common.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Double fires? - 09/01/20
Bump fire - had the same with a 3# drop in.

You’re pulling just until the trigger breaks, the recoil is bouncing the rifle back against your shoulder just enough to allow the trigger finger tension to drop and reset the trigger during the ejection and feeding cycle.

The rifle is rebounding from your shoulder about the time all of the above is completing - your trigger finger tension will trip a second round off.

As noted above - you need to pull through the trigger break and hold it, so the hammer catches the disconnector, then releases to the trigger sear.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Double fires? - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by AH64guy
As noted above - you need to pull through the trigger break and hold it, so the hammer catches the disconnector, then releases to the trigger sear.

Or maintain the tension for a three shot burst, or until the magazine is empty..... whistle
Posted By: TexasBBQ Re: Double fires? - 09/01/20
Thank you all for the replies. I'll work on the trigger pull issue.

Does anyone think that this could be pretty hot loaded ammo or that temp was so dang hot, 103+ that day that higher than normal pressures could've contributed as well?
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Double fires? - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Or maintain the tension for a three shot burst, or until the magazine is empty..... whistle

15 rounds of 6.8 SPC later - empty magazine...and very upset RSO.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Double fires? - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
Thank you all for the replies. I'll work on the trigger pull issue.

Does anyone think that this could be pretty hot loaded ammo or that temp was so dang hot, 103+ that day that higher than normal pressures could've contributed as well?

No expert but I suspect the odds are pretty high that it is a trigger control issue.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Double fires? - 09/01/20
I put together a lower two months ago for an upper I won. I had a Anderson FCG laying around so I used it. I got double fires. I ended up having a bad disconnector. Put a new one and no more issues.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Double fires? - 09/01/20
i have one lower that my AR57 will bump fire on. actually controllable. i don't join them except here on the home range grin these uppers have a 50 round mag. use your imagination!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Double fires? - 09/01/20
Bump fire sometimes it just happens on lower set triggers.

I know of 1 22 rimfire rifle that will dump the mag tube if you do the trigger just right.
Posted By: TWR Re: Double fires? - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by Hudge
I put together a lower two months ago for an upper I won. I had a Anderson FCG laying around so I used it. I got double fires. I ended up having a bad disconnector. Put a new one and no more issues.

Yes usually a bad disconnector is the culprit in a GI type trigger. The odds of 2 doing the same at the same time basically ruled that out along with the oddball triggers.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Double fires? - 09/02/20
super dynamic 3 gun will bump if your not careful
Posted By: TexasBBQ Re: Double fires? - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by TWR

Yes usually a bad disconnector is the culprit in a GI type trigger. The odds of 2 doing the same at the same time basically ruled that out along with the oddball triggers.

TWR,
What do you mean by "oddball triggers?" Do drop in's not have a disconnector? Sorry for my ignorance on all of this and appreciate all the help.
BBQ
Posted By: TWR Re: Double fires? - 09/02/20
Oddball was simply a non GI trigger and yes all AR triggers have a disconnector I suppose but not all are designed like the GI trigger as in a separate part that is stamped and thrown to the masses.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Double fires? - 09/03/20
Too light triggers, too little engagement. Return to as delivered condition and try again. Tweaking can be good, tweaking can be foolish.
Posted By: TexasBBQ Re: Double fires? - 09/03/20
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Too light triggers, too little engagement. Return to as delivered condition and try again. Tweaking can be good, tweaking can be foolish.

Both triggers are drop in units with no adjustment allowed.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Double fires? - 09/03/20
Got one with a Geissele in it that will bump fire every time from a bench if the stock is not FIRM into my shoulder.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Double fires? - 09/04/20
"I just remembered that I installed UTG Accurizing Wedges into both rifles..."

Well, you have to remove those and test again. Both rifles affected the same way with clear cut symptoms, I think it will not be something obscure and mysterious. You will get this one.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Double fires? - 09/30/20
Saw someone with a new light trigger job at a match have a Glock do that.
But I never followed up on the cause.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Double fires? - 09/30/20
Texas BBQ, did you ever resolve the issue?
Posted By: TexasBBQ Re: Double fires? - 10/01/20

Yes, just got to get out and shoot the last two days and removing the UTG Accurizing Wedges solved the problem in both rifles! Glad this was a cheap lesson learned.

I really appreciate all the helpful comments.

Take care,

BBQ
Posted By: TexasBBQ Re: Double fires? - 10/01/20

Yes, just got to get out and shoot the last two days and removing the UTG Accurizing Wedges solved the problem in both rifles! Glad this was a cheap lesson learned.

Take care,

BBQ
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Double fires? - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ

Yes, just got to get out and shoot the last two days and removing the UTG Accurizing Wedges solved the problem in both rifles!
BBQ

That is good news, but now I am sitting here wondering how the accu-wedges were causing doubling. Could be some valuable insight there if someone could figure it out.

???
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Double fires? - 10/05/20
No guesses even?
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Double fires? - 10/11/20
Up one more time. Anyone have a theory?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Double fires? - 10/11/20
You got your answers. Light single stage triggers and ARs don't mix.

Replace them with decent 2-stage triggers, like a LaRue MB2S.
Posted By: TWR Re: Double fires? - 10/11/20
The OP is the only one with direct access to his problems. He chooses to think it was an accuwedge instead of technique with a light trigger.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Double fires? - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone

FWIW, I have a Jard adjustable single-stage in one of my ARs. I have not checked the pull weight, but I estimate it to be less than three pounds. I had issues with it some time back, having made an error in adjusting it. Once adjusted as the instructions say, I had no more trouble with it. I have not tried to make it double---not something I'd employ in use. Loc-Tite is my friend.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Double fires? - 10/12/20
The wedges change the mating of the upper and lower, the relationship between the hammer and the rear of the bolt carrier is altered slightly. The original layout of the fire control group and the bolt carrier didn't need no stinkin' wedges.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Double fires? - 10/12/20

I agree. The accu wedge was likely not the issue, unless receiver fit was way out of spec. Id be leery of the trigger group, if it were mine.
Posted By: viking Re: Double fires? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree. The accu wedge was likely not the issue, unless receiver fit was way out of spec. Id be leery of the trigger group, if it were mine.

I had a 2 stage put back in my AR. the single stage was nice but it like to burp.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Double fires? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by viking
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I had a 2 stage put back in my AR. the single stage was nice but it like to burp.

I learned my AR10 308 would do it with my Geiselle SSAE. Swapped in a slightly heavier RRA 2 stage and no more problems. The Geiselle is in my Noveske now and works beautifully. Still a little light, but works perfectly for what I use it for.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Double fires? - 10/13/20

"Yes, just got to get out and shoot the last two days and removing the UTG Accurizing Wedges solved the problem in both rifles! Glad this was a cheap lesson learned.

Take care,

BBQ"

Well, what does he know?
Posted By: TexasBBQ Re: Double fires? - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by 5thShock

"Yes, just got to get out and shoot the last two days and removing the UTG Accurizing Wedges solved the problem in both rifles! Glad this was a cheap lesson learned.

Take care,

BBQ"

Well, what does he know?

Evidently not much!

I incorrectly stated in my original post regarding trigger pull weights. They are 3lbs and 3.5lbs not 3lbs and 2.5lbs.

Hundred rounds through each before the wedges and a hundred or more through each after removing the wedges and NO doubling.

The SS vs 2 stage trigger makes sense to me but I have no experience with 2 stage triggers.

Again, Thanks for all the help.

BBQ

Posted By: RiverRider Re: Double fires? - 10/13/20
Sounds as if the slightly altered relationship between the carrier and face of the hammer was not allowing the disconnector to engage the hammer fully. Just my guess.
© 24hourcampfire