Home
Found a pretty good AR clone; .223 16" barrel.

First black rifle for me, I'm not really familiar with them.

No sights at present, just a top rail.

Looking for suggestions on reasonably priced iron sights and/or inexpensive optics, hoping to spend $100 or less this time around.

Intended uses; plinking, emergency SHTF rifle, possibly hog and deer at medium ranges (200yds?) or less.

Tks.
The Magpul MBUS are probably the most popular budget-friendly sights out there. You can get a front and rear for under $100.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=magpul+sights&userItemsPerPage=24
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The Magpul MBUS are probably the most popular budget-friendly sights out there. You can get a front and rear for under $100.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=magpul+sights&userItemsPerPage=24

Yes,
They are the budget friendly standard.
Yep what they said.
If you keep an eye on your local Armslist or equivalent, you may be able to get a set of Daniel Defense fixed (non-folding) irons for $100. Much better sights than the MBUS if you don't care if they fold up and down.
Birdy, I have a set of tacticon armaments you can have. PM me.....

https://tacticon.com/product/flip-up-back-up-ar15-iron-sights/
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

You didn't say if the rail covers the gas block, if the top of the gas block is railed for a sight, you need to use metal sights on the front.

The Magpul won't handle the heat if mounted to the gas block.

Otherwise, they are fine for plinking and casual use - the set that Don offered is good as well.
Yep the Magpul MBUS are good for inexpensive but sturdy useful sights.

Also Labor Day sales should start pretty quick and I’d look for a Sig Romeo 5 for around $130 or so on sale.
Originally Posted by TWR

Also Labor Day sales should start pretty quick and I’d look for a Sig Romeo 5 for around $130 or so on sale.

^^^^^^This, you'll like it much better, I'm thinkin'.

MM
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Huntsman,

I've never seen those and am considering a couple of sets now that you directed us. I don't really want to spend the bucks for some more LMT Fixed Sites for a couple of cowitness red dot setups. Did you like them?

Thanks.

Richard
pm sent.
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

You didn't say if the rail covers the gas block, if the top of the gas block is railed for a sight, you need to use metal sights on the front.

Not at home just now to look, from memory it looks like a long rail. Just picked it up, haven’t even taken it apart yet.

My friend is pretty seriously into AR’s, made me an offer too good to pass up. 16” barrel Land Warfare Research Corp upper/Patriot Ordinance Factory lower.

Kinda cool to have the opportunity to learn about a whole new weapons system.
I have the Magpul Pro iron sights that won't care about heat. Got them for $100 but it was a killer black Friday thing. Maybe you get lucky with labor day. Then again, not a ton of deals on AR anything now days.
Originally Posted by 007FJ

Huntsman,

I've never seen those and am considering a couple of sets now that you directed us. I don't really want to spend the bucks for some more LMT Fixed Sites for a couple of cowitness red dot setups. Did you like them?

Thanks.

Richard

I have a pair of the Tacticon sights. While I prefer my Magpul MBUSs they are not bad especially for the price. Not saying I’d trust my life by any means with them, but for range work they do the job.
Thank you
Birdwatcher, I went the opposite rout on sights. I bought a EoTech sight and then added flip up steel sights later. If you think you may add an optical sight later, compact flip ups are the way to go. I had to get a gas block height front sight for my M4.
If you plan to add some type of optic later, the Magpuls or the UTG super slims get good reviews. The Magpuls probably have better qc but the UTGs are aluminum. If your plan is to only use iron sights, there is no reason not to use good, metal fixed sights of some kind. A carry handle and fixed front sight would work fine also.

Thanks for the website suggestion. I’ve been shopping for some specific things recently and have done extensive research into it and based upon all the various factors these guys win.

It’s combat veteran owned so I just walked out of there $695 lighter. I ordered 4 sets of those irons and some miscellaneous gear.
I really like the vortex sparc2. 4-5 yrs ago I paid $200, but might find them cheaper. Have a fastfire3 on another, but like the vortex better. Red dots make everything so quick. They've spoiled me.
We've had discussions on this subject a few times. One thing I'll bring up is don't expect great accuracy out of a flip up sight that just clamps to the handguard rail. If you can mount the front sight to a gas block designed with a rail section on it, that would be the ticket for better precision/accuracy. Other than that, cheap sights are just that. Probably great for the run of the mill tacticool comando out there.. My preference if for flip up irons that produce the same type of precision/accuracy as a scope offers at reasonable ranges:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
10 shot group 100 yard target from my so so shooting Noveske...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
We've had discussions on this subject a few times. One thing I'll bring up is don't expect great accuracy out of a flip up sight that just clamps to the handguard rail. If you can mount the front sight to a gas block designed with a rail section on it, that would be the ticket for better precision/accuracy. Other than that, cheap sights are just that. Probably great for the run of the mill tacticool comando out there.. My preference if for flip up irons that produce the same type of precision/accuracy as a scope offers at reasonable ranges:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
10 shot group 100 yard target from my so so shooting Noveske...

Looks like you're pulling a hair left. You need to work on that.....lol. Nice shooting!
© 24hourcampfire