Home
Lightweight, accurate, mostly for hunting, 18”-20” barrel?

Saw a DD at sportsman’s warehouse today and it was pretty nice.

Personal experiences, please!

Or, is this build your own space?
I don't know about "best", &"best" is about as subjective as it gets. And I don't have a 6.5.

DD is never a bad choice with top notch quality, but usually not always the most absolutely accurate but good enough; Seekins is very good & everything they make is reasonably accurate & better than most.

LaRue makes some accurate rifles & are good products. I don't have any complete rifles from them, but all their parts have been good. Some people just don't like LaRue................never had any issues, yet.

V-Seven is high quality, accurate; top shelf stuff in all respects, semi custom. I have matched upper & lower from them.............perfect fit & finish.

Then there's the more true custom stuff like GAP for around $4500 or so.

And then there's always AERO..................don't know anything 1st hand about their complete rifles but they own Ballistic Advantage & they make decent, mid-range barrels, not super high end.

Just depends on how much you want to spend, how long you want to wait today & what's available right now.

If the DD that you found fits your needs bill, it's pretty hard to go wrong with anything from them & they will stand behind their products & I'd likely jump on it.

I'd feel good with any of the above, but the AERO would be last on the list from above.

Let us know what you decide when you pull the trigger.

MM
AR15 Performance 3R 24" twist fluted 1 in 8"

It will shoot more accurately than 95% of shooter

Cleans easily, shoots most loads just a tad bit faster than its 4 or 5 groove counterpart.
Was thinkin' he was askin' about a complete rifle, not a barrel.

MM
Like mm says. Best is highly subjective. The S&W Performance center, i have, weighs in at 9 pounds and shoots great. Sub moa in most cases. I havent had a single malfunction with it either. Runs like a well oiled machine.
Originally Posted by Darryle

Cleans easily, shoots most loads just a tad bit faster than its 4 or 5 groove counterpart.

Sounds interesting. Id like to see some groups.
Around black Friday Wilson combat runs some pretty good sales.

I'd hold out till then. They always nail the gas port size too IMO.
I dig their lightweight ranger barrels.
I'd look very closely at the Savage MSR 10 Hunter. It's a small-frame rifle and weighs less than 8lbs.
I would not hesitate to get a DD. The models I have used were solid.

However, I would also check out Wilson as their ARs have been good shooters, for the ones I have used. I really like their custom features from colors and accessories. They build nice guns.

A buddy loves his LaRue and says they are machines.

If I really wanted to ride in a Cadillac, I would get a GAP. They are sweet.
This is not a bad deal & it's available right now, if you're serious.

If you want to lighten it up, change the stock.

PS: f you want to know what make rifle is at the top of the Black Rifle Challenge by a goodly margin, look up the standings.

MM

Gap 6.5 Creed
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I would gladly show them to you, but I let a buddy talk me out of it last year, it was too long for my liking. He was routinely taking it out to 1000yds, I will text him for some group pictures and load data
I know a couple guys who have rifles built by Christensen Arms. Quality rifles and pricey too

I have a 3R 16" 6.8.

You don't gain anything with a longer barrel.

Originally Posted by David_Walter
Lightweight, accurate, mostly for hunting, 18”-20” barrel?

Saw a DD at sportsman’s warehouse today and it was pretty nice.

Personal experiences, please!

Or, is this build your own space?

David, You might want to take a look at Windham Weaponry.
I like their kit. Maybe I need to get an upper and lower and just build.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I would gladly show them to you, but I let a buddy talk me out of it last year, it was too long for my liking. He was routinely taking it out to 1000yds, I will text him for some group pictures and load data

Cool. Yeah, I think a lot of us that try the 24" barreled AR's end up sending them down the road. Just too long and heavy. Now days about the longest I like is a 20" tube AR. They are softer shooting than a 16" and not as loud to boot. Win win.. The guys suggesting GAP are spot on. Scenar shooter did very well with his 6mm creedmoor GAP. Just make sure you buy a newer one, as the old ones used some hokey parts. One I saw used a DPMS smooth sided upper. Not quite the quality I was expecting from GAP. I passed on that deal.
I like their kit. Maybe I need to get an upper and lower and just build.

So you weren't really interested it the "best" or even something reasonably light???

MM
I’m interested in both of those.
I’m also interested in hearing opinions about this being the best route, or if a 6mm ARC is the ticket.

Since I have lowers in abundance.
I’m also interested in hearing opinions about this being the best route, or if a 6mm ARC is the ticket.

JMHO

Kinda depends on what you really want to achieve with it & it purpose in life, maybe just a project for the sake of a project.

Absolute, pure ballistics favor the 6.5, but at a penalty of more recoil, bigger, heavier, bulkier more expensive platform & there's just no getting around that.

The 6-ARC has the advantage of less recoil, smaller, lighter, less expensive, more portable package. Biggest issue might be really good, reliable magazines, but time will likely solve that problem.

Similar but really 2 different animals.

I'm not going to do either for the time being, given availability of ammo & components & I like the 22 Creed also.

Like I said earlier, if I really wanted a great 6.5, that deal on the GAP rifle that I posted, with what is coming with it, is a good buy, IMO. But nonetheless, still a lot of money.

MM
Does Rock River make one? I have several of their rifles, super accurate
Heard good things about Wyoming Arms. I have one of theirs in a Creedmoor that I won in a Little League Baseball Raffle. Its well built but as of yet it is unfired. Those that have their guns in my town want more of them and there was a list of people hoping to buy mine when I won it. It is a light rifle for sure and they have the reputation for long range accuracy.
A guy brought me a Diamondback in 6.5 CM this week to play with. After looking it over a little, I can honestly say it ain’t this one. 💩
Originally Posted by TWR
A guy brought me a Diamondback in 6.5 CM this week to play with. After looking it over a little, I can honestly say it ain’t this one. 💩

Diamondbacks are pretty much the bottom of the barrel...
Originally Posted by hanco
Does Rock River make one? I have several of their rifles, super accurate

I can't remember if anyone posted results in the black rifle challenge with an AR10 RRA? Not too many AR15 RRA's either... My buddy shot his RRA and it would only do 1.5 moa, when I gave it a go, I managed 1.285 moa avg. Not really my idea of super accurate.. My Noveske does better with Iron sights..
© 24hourcampfire