Home
2 months after ordering, the phone rang today, sweet.

So we need.......

A case, soft or hard? and where?

Sights, Initial load workup will be with a luepy 2.8x8, so need ideas on some mounts, just basic rail mounts nothing fancy, just functional and economical.

In the future, sights will likely go to some type of red dot or such, Peeked through a Holosun 510 a while back, with green reticle and thinking maybe going that way, If I go with the 510, thinking about going with the combo with the magnifier, Your thoughts on this?

Other optics i should be considering?

Mags, Gun comes with one 30, Will need more,,,I'm assuming most here will recommended Pmags? 10, 20 or 30's? likely several of each?

What else?
Soft cases are much easier to manage if you wanna just slip it in and out of the case while it's all still in the truck or trunk.

I'd get a 1-4 all day every day before a magnifier. The glass is better, the reticle is better, they mount better, and you don't have the magnifier hanging off the side when you're on 1x. If you want advice on which one to get it will depend a lot on your budget.

Leupold, Midwest, Aero all make decent, affordable mounts.

PMags are what I'd get, or metal mags with magpul followers. I have a couple of 20s for hunting, a bunch of 30s and 40s. Everyone should own at least one Magpul drum mag.

You didn't ask but I really like the Magpul MS series slings.
Soft case, I really like my Voodoo tactical case, but there are other cases that are damn near identical for less money, like the Drago soft cases I generally buy. Also, I'm assuming you are meaning Leupold 2.5-8x36 instead of 2.8x8?? For mounts, go with a cantilever mount. I use Burris and they work great, usually less money than comparable Leupold or Aero precision mounts. Without researching what a "wilson combat 15" is, your guess is as good as mine for optics... Is it a short barreled AR or is it a precision AR? What do you plan on using it for?
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I'd get a 1-4 all day every day before a magnifier. The glass is better, the reticle is better, they mount better, and you don't have the magnifier hanging off the side when you're on 1x. If you want advice on which one to get it will depend a lot on your budget.
When you say 1-4, you mean traditional 1x4 varible powered scope? Feel free to give examples and price isn't a factor, I buy what I like and I'm too broke to buy twice...

You didn't ask but I really like the Magpul MS series slings.

Good point, hadn't thought a sling.
bsa, yes, 2.5x8x36 Leupold.

Wilson Combat protector series, Ar-15 with 16 inch barrel. Main purpose is all around fun gun, Don't know that I would ever do any hunting with it.
That Drago 36 inch single gun case looks like all I would need?

That may be ordered today.
Thoughts on this scope?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/tri...target-holds-sfp-riflescope-2800001.html
Originally Posted by Kenneth
That Drago 36 inch single gun case looks like all I would need?

That may be ordered today.

Drago makes a good case. I've compared it to my $180.00 Voodoo case and there aren't many differences, except its half the price. I use 42" cases, but most of my rifles have 20" barrels. A 36" case should work just fine for your 16" barreled rifle. Your Leupold should work just fine as well, until it stops, then you can replace it with something different. An AR specific scope like blue suggested would work well.. If it's just for plinking and having fun, keep it light and handy with a smaller scope or red dot.

Those aren't bad but you generally get Trijicon for the tritium. Without that, it's just another scope.
I'd go NX8 1-8 or SWFA 1-6 and be done.
The swiffer can be had under six in the classifieds rights now . . .

Frank Proctor's way of the gun sling is everything you need and nothing you don't.
Burris rings

Something like these rings work? or something else better out there?
I like a one piece mount on an AR.
Aero precision is good on the cheap.

Larue, nightforce, geissele are great if the budget allows.

The burris pepr is solid if you like burris.
I'd try and scoop this up asap-
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...lrhs-3-12-swfa-1-6-swfa-1-4#Post15384381
2 months after ordering, the phone rang today, sweet.

So we need.......

A case, soft or hard? and where?

Sights, Initial load workup will be with a luepy 2.8x8, so need ideas on some mounts, just basic rail mounts nothing fancy, just functional and economical.

In the future, sights will likely go to some type of red dot or such, Peeked through a Holosun 510 a while back, with green reticle and thinking maybe going that way, If I go with the 510, thinking about going with the combo with the magnifier, Your thoughts on this?

Other optics i should be considering?

Mags, Gun comes with one 30, Will need more,,,I'm assuming most here will recommended Pmags? 10, 20 or 30's? likely several of each?

What else?

Congratulations on your Wilson Combat purchase. I'm sure you will eek out all of which it is capable.

I'm pretty sure Midway's soft case will take care of all your needs and then some.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939143291

I would normally recommend that you spray the schit out of it with Camp Dry prior to its use, but that would be a waste of time given the fact that you don't listen to anything anybody says.

I don't know what a "2.8x8 leupy" is but I'm sure it will get you on paper so you can fugk it up from there.

Major high fives for "peeking" through a POS Holosun.

Brownells and Magpuls for mags. I'm sure you'll ignore that too. LOL
Burris rings

Something like these rings work? or something else better out there?

How about no, Kenneth.
Tell me about this 'Camp Dry'.......
Buy a cantilever mount like the Burris PEPR. Not the XTR

You don't know how to google?
Originally Posted by UPhiker

If Kenneth knew how to google, he wouldn't be asking which case to buy.

LOL
I bought a real nice Eagle case some time back. I might need to see if I still have it.

I have a Trijicon 1-4 Accupower, actually 2 of them. They were on close out for around $400, no tritium and I never use the illumination. They do get me out to 700 yards with the BDC segmented circle reticle and do everything else you’d want a scope to do with or without illumination. I wouldn’t be afraid of the Ascent.

Don’t use rings. Get a cantilever scope mount. If you can afford a Wilson Combat, you can afford LaRue or ADM mount.
Originally Posted by deflave

If Kenneth knew how to google, he wouldn't be asking which case to buy.

LOL

Any fool can google,

Seems more efficient to ask for some advice from guys that have been there, and done that.

Truth be told, I'd rather learn from others mistakes, makes my life much simpler.

Any fool can google,

Seems more efficient to ask for some advice from guys that have been there, and done that.

Truth be told, I'd rather learn from others mistakes, makes my life much simpler.

You have a long history of ignoring hard earned advice.

Which is a polite way of stating that you're a fugkin' retard.
Originally Posted by deflave

Any fool can google,

You have a long history of ignoring hard earned advice.

Which is a polite way of stating that you're a fugkin' retard.

You've offered lots of advice as time went on, lot of it was junk.

Care to discuss your election predictions?

"Kamala has the likeabilty of a car battery".....

But yet, here we are.

I equate you to the marriage counselor that's been divorced a few times.

And I did appreciate that advice on the Midway gun case,

There's now a Drago on-route to here,

And your Pmags and Brownells advice, Brownells had about half of what I wanted, Wilson had it all, including the cantilever one piece mount.

Should be a good week..

Thanks.........................Seriously.

You've offered lots of advice as time went on, lot of it was junk.

Care to discuss your election predictions?

"Kamala has the likeabilty of a car battery".....

But yet, here we are.

I equate you to the marriage counselor that's been divorced a few times.

And I did appreciate that advice on the Midway gun case,

There's now a Drago on-route to here,

And your Pmags and Brownells advice, Brownells had about half of what I wanted, Wilson had it all, including the cantilever one piece mount.

Should be a good week..

Thanks.........................Seriously.

GFY
LOL.
Good deal on getting a canitlever mount. That's the easiest most feasible way to mount a scope on an AR. It doesn't really matter which brand you go with. I've used a lot of them and settled on the PEPR. Yes, that's even after using an AD recon, hellaciously light Aero precision and MK2 Leupold mount. Find one that is simple, strong and well made and the name on the side of it shouldn't matter...
It's a Wilson Combat............not much is going to change that.

MM
MM. Wilson combat makes some great chidt. A buddy of mine brought out an AR he put together with a Wilson Combat barrel on it, at one of our AR shoots. It was chambered in a cartridge we don't talk about around here (7.62x40), or at least I have never heard it mentioned here. That combo is a sleeper. Damn near burned the x-ring out of the target. If he wouldn't have had 1 small flyer, he would have beat my score.. Pretty impressive shooting nonetheless and that barrel was quite impressive.. I expect the OP will be pretty happy with the performance of his rifle..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
MM. Wilson combat makes some great chidt.
Wilson Arms or Wilson Combat?
Wilson Arms or Wilson Combat?

Wilson combat

They do; I have 2 of their 1911's & they are absolutely great & I've used LOTS of their pistol parts, but if I were to want to pay $2500 for an AR again (actually I've paid close to that for several KAC's) Wilson Combat ain't in the running.

YMMV

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

They do; I have 2 of their 1911's & they are absolutely great & I've used LOTS of their pistol parts, but if I were to want to pay $2500 for an AR again (actually I've paid close to that for several KAC's) Wilson Combat ain't in the running.

YMMV

MM

Probably why my buddy only bought the barrel or upper (don't know for sure) and put it on a cheap lower. He's way cheaper than I am, usually buying his chidt through mod 1 sales or PSA. He thought for sure his little 7.62 was going to be making short work of the competition in our AR shoot. Probably would have, had I not shown up. I sure as hell am not going to pay $2500.00 for an ar either, but some guys will... I was/am still impressed with that Wilson Combat barrel and cartridge. Seemed like a great performer. I'd buy one of their barrels, based off of what I've seen.
Trijicon MRO
I'd buy one of their barrels, based off of what I've seen.

Well, be the guinea pig & report back.................... grin

MM

I see Camp dry in a spray can for waterproofing tents and footwear,

Just not sure how that fits the story line here.

A little help maybe?

Spray the action? interior, or exterior?
Nobody’s that stupid.

A little help maybe?

Yes. give it a good blast. You'll never have to worry about rust.
Nobody’s that stupid.

Is that a challenge?
Nobody’s that stupid.

Is that a challenge?

You win.
What's the frequency?

A little help maybe?

That's the stuff.

Spray the whole rifle as well as the BCG.
Like the Gun alot, made it to the range today,

But I am surprised (disappointed) by the trigger, lots of creep or takeup if you will.....

Who's familiar with the Wilson Combat TTU.....Tactical Trigger Unit M2 4#

adjustable or no? Replace?

It's not terrible, but I was expecting better.
Like the Gun alot, made it to the range today,

But I am surprised (disappointed) by the trigger, lots of creep or takeup if you will.....

Who's familiar with the Wilson Combat TTU.....Tactical Trigger Unit M2 4#

adjustable or no? Replace?

It's not terrible, but I was expecting better.

A lot of manufactures are trying to put in better factory triggers these days. With that being said, they are still not that great. Good time to jump on the Larue tactical bandwagon and go with the MBT2s. or RRA 2 stage varmint match. Both can be had for around $80. What kind of groups were you getting with your new rifle, if you don't mind me asking....? Groups will probably shrink a bit, if you get a better trigger...
This trigger is a 2 stage, which I don't believe I've used before,

Is that first stage the 'creep' I'm feeling?

I know, totally stupid question.
I don't believe this...
I don't believe this...

believe.
At this point, don't know if I'm a fan of a 2 stage.
At this point, don't know if I'm a fan of a 2 stage.

If you've never used one before, it can be different and hard to get used to. If it's a bad trigger. I had a Ruger m77 mkII varmint model with a factory 2 stage trigger. I hated that sob with a passion. Never could get used to it. I've seen that with some crappy AR triggers as well. I had a BCM 2 stage that I didn't like. I gave that away to a member here a couple months ago. I didn't like my national match trigger that was in my Armalite AR10 either, but the ones I do like are very nice and easy to get used to. I hate bad triggers, one of the reasons I polish the RRA's and fine tune the ones on my bolt guns.
I don't believe this...

believe.
So you basically ordered a very expensive gun that you knew nothing about?

What kind of groups were you getting with your new rifle,

Ok, The rifle certainly shows potential already with some handloads that I have for a Remington 700 .223 that I always keep on hand,

24 grains of Benchmark and 50 grain Vmax's, AFIF that's a fairly light load for a 5.56.

This weekend will be 25/26 grains of CFE223 with 69 grain Sierra Matchkings, lets see what that 1-8 twist is worthy of.

Right now it's showing about an inch, some 5 shot groups have 3 of the 5 touching, I'm not about to get the calipers out just yet.

I'll let ya know how it goes, but I really need to learn that 2 stage trigger, It's a whole different game to me.
I don't believe this...

believe.

And now it's time to put this ankle-biting whiny teenage chic away.......

You have several post's on this thread, and I don't recall a single worthy informative response by you other than some smarmy juvenile cheap shots.

Piss off.

For the really, really, bored people out there.......

Here's what we knew,

Election year, that I never really felt confident in. Joe's claim to ban assault weapons are well known.

Left handed AR's are rare, even more so this year.

Months of browsing web sites for LH inventory, numerous phone calls, voice messages and phone tag.

I discover Wilson makes Leftys, I call, they pick up within the 4th ring and we talk.

"Can I get a 16 inch 1-8 twist lefty?"

"yes sir, Put a deposit down and your on the build list, should be 8 to 12 weeks"........

Done deal. Any other questions about my life you might be curious about?
I don't believe this...

believe.

And now it's time to put this ankle-biting whiny teenage chic away.......

You have several post's on this thread, and I don't recall a single worthy informative response by you other than some smarmy juvenile cheap shots.

Piss off.

You will learn that there are some here that have nothing better to do. As for your rifle, it sounds like its showing good potential. When you start loading for it, load them to an oal of 2.250" to be safe. Thats good enough to fit in any ar15 mag. Im assuming you'll be using P mags though. Buy a couple 10 rounders for shooting off the bench and doing load work. Id also get a good bi-pod, like a Harris 6-9 swivel and a rear bag. That set up works great for the ar platform. The 69 SMK is an excellent bullet. All of my ars love it. If you can get your hands on some AR Comp, give that a try. RL15 also works great with that bullet. BR4 and CCI41 primers work great. I have used CCI 400's with good success as well, but the cups are slightly softer. A 1 in 8 twist barrel is a great place to be with most bullets.
Yep on the Pmags, several 10's here, several 20's and several 30's

Have 3 harris bipods, current favorite setup is bags front and rear, but not against the bipods.

Regarding primers, CCI 400's on hand, but honestly not enough to feel comfortable with, been at least 6 months since I've seen small rifle primers for sale.

Called the LGS this weekend looking for primers, knew I was likely wasting my time,

The guy on the phone says 40 to 50 calls a day from people in search of primers,

They open at 9, and the phone starts ringing seconds later.

Insanity.
Okay, here's some advice. Take up the slack on the trigger. Once you have, you have about half the weight loaded on it to make it fire. Finish your sight picture and apply the rest of the pressure. If you're rapid firing, just release the trigger enough for it to reset. It doesn't need to go all the way forward. It's just like the trigger on a Garand or M14.
Yep on the Pmags, several 10's here, several 20's and several 30's

Have 3 harris bipods, current favorite setup is bags front and rear, but not against the bipods.

Regarding primers, CCI 400's on hand, but honestly not enough to feel comfortable with, been at least 6 months since I've seen small rifle primers for sale.

Called the LGS this weekend looking for primers, knew I was likely wasting my time,

The guy on the phone says 40 to 50 calls a day from people in search of primers,

They open at 9, and the phone starts ringing seconds later.

Insanity.

Yeah, if you don't have many small rifle primers, you are screwed!!!! Front and rear bags work great for a bolt action, but they don't feel right to me with an AR. I shoot a lot of prone as well, and the bi-pod works much easier for me, with the aide of a rear bag. I like keeping it simple and use the same set-up when shooting AR's off the bench too. Good luck on finding more primers. They are out there, but shops are charging more money for them now. Bullets can still be found online at places like midsouth.
© 24hourcampfire