Home
I read that the BATF is looking at changing the status of the AR pistols with braces to NFA short barrel rifles. Is that a real thing or just an internet rumor?
It's the real deal. They had it ready, just waiting on election results.
I'm guessing the boys who make these 13.7 uppers are going to be very busy for awhile:

Well, if there is a no-cost expedited SBR registration as it appears there might be, I might jump on that, and toss the brace for a real buttstock.
Could you just slap on a 16 inch upper from another gun and be good?
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Well, if there is a no-cost expedited SBR registration as it appears there might be, I might jump on that, and toss the brace for a real buttstock.

GunsAndGear said it’s a free stamp for a pistol with a brace, or something crazy like that.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

GunsAndGear said it’s a free stamp for a pistol with a brace, or something crazy like that.

That's what I read on a link to the letter. Sounds like it's all in the 'proposal' stage at the moment. We'll see.
Here's a link, kind of a painful read...

https://www.scribd.com/document/488431301/Atf

I'm of the same mind. I didn't want the headache of an NFA weapon, but the potential headaches of the braces going forward might make it make sense to me too. And could just put a real stock on it.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I'm of the same mind. I didn't want the headache of an NFA weapon, but the potential headaches of the braces going forward might make it make sense to me too. And could just put a real stock on it.

Yep, and no issues with a vertical front grip either.
Of course, you can take a AR pistol across state lines without asking ATF for permission.

Not so for an SBR.
Also, I have one of the original SIG braces with the get out of jail approval letter from ATF.
They disc. those SIG brace letters. ATF said they expired

Link to info ??
Originally Posted by ldholton

Link to info ??

Originally Posted by ldholton

Link to info ??

👍👍
Free Stamp? Hmmm, might have to see it to believe it.
Bob,

I did not see that in the link.

Can you show me where?

Originally Posted by BobBrown
They disc. those SIG brace letters. ATF said they expired
Sorry, I smell a rat. Having a registered AR pistol likely provides prima facie evidence that one will have other ARs that are not registered.
Originally Posted by Stray
Sorry, I smell a rat. Having a registered AR pistol likely provides prima facie evidence that one will have other ARs that are not registered.

That was one of my thoughts. Helps Biden and his flunkies build the registry and sets a precedence if they decide all AR's are "easily convertible to Full Auto" or some other BS in order to require NFA stamps on all Semi-auto's or some other BS.
Yep, by offering incentives like waiving the tax stamp fee, they're tacitly admitting they don't have an accurate count of the number of AR pistols or don't want to do the data mining to come up with an accurate estimate. When and if ARs are banned, we will have provided them with the initial database of AR pistols/SBRs for probable cause for a search warrant if they're not surrendered. It doesn't take much for an agent to write in the affidavit that, "based on my training and experience, individuals that have purchased and registered SBRs are likely to have and possess other variations of AR-15 style firearms."
I want one even more now
Murders committed by legally owned AR pistols in 2019?
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Could you just slap on a 16 inch upper from another gun and be good?

If they’re calling it a butt stock that option seems reasonable, except there will be an effort to register them In that case who knows. More bull chit Demoroid traitors. Skirmishes coming.
They aren’t as dumb as we think and too many are taking the bait.

Waving the tax on filing for a SBR, knowing a million + braces are out there in the hands of law abiding gun owners, would be the biggest nation wide gun registration scheme ever. I’d rather continue fighting for removal of SBR’s from the NFA list.

Really hoping GOA pulls through on this one as the NRA is probably helping the feds collect info.
Originally Posted by wareagle700
They aren’t as dumb as we think and too many are taking the bait.

Waving the tax on filing for a SBR, knowing a million + braces are out there in the hands of law abiding gun owners, would be the biggest nation wide gun registration scheme ever. I’d rather continue fighting for removal of SBR’s from the NFA list.

Really hoping GOA pulls through on this one as the NRA is probably helping the feds collect info.

Yes, several million braces sold over an 8 year period. This provides a good argument that firearms of this type are in "common use" as discussed in Heller, and therefore subject to 2A protections. If this case is heard by a judge of the temperament of Saint Benitez, the whole SBR registry could be thrown out.
Not worth it.
I sold mine.
For the record

This was published in the federal register on December 18, 2020.

It’s an interesting read.

Just like bump-stocks, this a regulatory decision.

Un-elected bureaucrats making it up as they go.

This lets Congress off the hook.
I believe they've already retracted the letter of intent. Can't find the article. Yet.
Here it is. Probably short lived reprieve. https://www.captainsjournal.com/2020/12/23/atf-withdraws-pistol-brace-guidance/
© 24hourcampfire