Home
Posted By: 1886nut Who made this HBAR barrel? - 12/21/20
Rarely do I find something I actually need at a gunshow. Usually its something I see and just end up wanting. Anyway, I needed an affordable 20in HBAR upper to practice iron sight shooting. So I luck out and find this.

Standard fixed carry handle a2 configuration....definitely an HBAR contour under the handguards. Only barrel markings are in front of the gas block. The chamber looks parkerized so I assume only the bore is chromed according to the markings.

Upper receiver has no markings except the squared forging mark.

Bolt is laser marked DT / HPT M......Del-Ton Mfg?

Perhaps the bbl is Del Ton as well? Windham? Olympic Arms?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It's probably hard to say.

I have a 16" 1/9 chrome-lined HBar that was made by Bushmaster.

A2 upper is always a good thing to have, nice snag.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I have one of those. It's a real shooter.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I have one of those. It's a real shooter.

Mine's a good shooter too.
Posted By: TWR Re: Who made this HBAR barrel? - 12/22/20
Bushmaster is marked BMP, this one is a no name so I wouldn’t put too much hope in it being a shooter. Not saying it will be terrible but the odds are against it.
Originally Posted by TWR
Bushmaster is marked BMP, this one is a no name so I wouldn’t put too much hope in it being a shooter. Not saying it will be terrible but the odds are against it.

The only way he's going to know is by shooting it. Ammo plays a big part in accuracy as well. OP, what kind of ammo are you going to be shooting through this barrel? Remember if you are going to be shooting military crap, even the better barrels are only expected to shoot about 4 moa, according to the US military. If you handload, that number can easily be cut in half (sub 2 moa) with a good load.
Posted By: 1886nut Re: Who made this HBAR barrel? - 12/22/20
Mostly 77gr Sierra Match Kings. I have a bunch of Black Hills contract ammo with this bullet as well. I realize that some guys will NEVER say that a 1-9 barrel can shoot........we'll see
Posted By: TWR Re: Who made this HBAR barrel? - 12/22/20
1/9 twist will do fine with 77's.
This is my 16" 1/9 CL from Bushmaster. It stabilizes the 77 Nosler, but not the best accuracy. 100 yard distance.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by TWR
1/9 twist will do fine with 77's.

Some 1 in 9's will. Having shot the 77TMK at 100 yards with one of my 1 in 9 twist barrels, where moa was normal, stretch it out to 400 yards and groups went to chidt.. The 1 in 9 is right on the threshold as far as bullet stability is concerned when talking 77gr pills. Here's what a bullet stability calculator has to say:

Bullet stability calculator

Muzzle velocity: 2,700 fps
Bullet length: 1.07"
Bullet weight: 77 gr
Barrel twist: 9.0"
Bullet caliber: 0.224"
Stability factor: 0.67
The bullet is not stabilized

marginal
stabilization full
stabilization maximal
stabilization over
stabilization
Muzzle velocity > 3,696 > 4,159 > 4,365 > 5,035
Barrel twist < 7.4 < 6.5 < 6.0 < 4.2
Bullet length < 0.98 < 0.92 < 0.90 < 0.77

It is extremely likely that if a guy is getting crap accuracy at 100 yards its going to be much worse when you stretch it out further. In the case of my rifle that I mentioned above, the bullet wasn't keyholing or showing any other signs at 100 yards, but the 400 yard groups told the real story..
Posted By: TWR Re: Who made this HBAR barrel? - 12/23/20
Plug in the SMK that he has and it might come out different. I only had one 1/9 barrel and it shot them fine however I did not shoot them past 200.

I think rost spoke of a guy that used a 1/9 intentionally out to 600 but they do have to be true 1/9’s and the conversation we had was long ago so I might be wrong.

That said this barrel is a cheaper chrome lined blaster and I doubt he’ll be looking for sub moa at 400 yards.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Who made this HBAR barrel? - 12/24/20
Have fun with it, burn it up & replace. Barrels are consumables.
© 24hourcampfire