Home
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Working ammo - 01/02/21
Just curious what most use here for work ammo the kind you'll have in the magazines if sh*t ? Mb
Posted By: CORDrew Re: Working ammo - 01/02/21
I don't carry a rifle for work but all my loaded mags have speer 62g golddots... also have some of the 75g GDs in storage
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
MK 262. which is a 77 grain SMK.

I keep a couple of mags of armor piercing on hand is needed, and the mags are individually marked as such.

Frankly almost anything that is not FMJ and that cycles reliably in your rifle will work fine. I would absolutely be 100% happy if all I had was 55 grain jacketed soft point hunting type ammo. If it will reliably drop deer, then it will work fine for most purposes.

I have used Federal Tactical 62 grain trophy bonded bear claw that was an issued round before and in shooting animals up to the size of deer, it was hard to see any difference between what it was doing in terms of terminal performance, and 55 grain soft point. The 62 grain bonded ammo was better for shooting through auto glass, doors etc but other than that it was hard to tell one from another when looking at the terminal effects on an animal.

Just stay away from the FMJ on one end, and super explosive varmint stuff on the other, and you will be fine.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
I don't know if this is true but the Federal ammo rep told me last year that the LE 62gr bonded is just Fusion bullets.
Posted By: MichieD Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
I keep 62gr Fusions loaded.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
Thanks guys good to know most of mine loaded with 55 gr fmj hornady and 55 sp hornady. Mb
Posted By: TWR Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
I’ve got 77 gr SMK’s loaded up but since Federal released the MK318 bullets, I’m loading a few of those now too.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
I have lots of 55 grain FMJ loaded, and lots of 55 grain Hornady spire points.

Haven’t killed anything with the SPs, but I’m certain they’ll kill anything deer-sized,
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
My primary bad day ammo is my primary AR hunting ammo, 64gr Nosler Bonded solid base.
My low penetration alternative is 55/60 gr NBT.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
62 gr. Fusion. Wish I could find some more right now.
Posted By: viking Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
Ball.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
depending on the rifle, either M193 or M855. I hunt with handloaded Winchester 64 grain SP.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
I've used those winchester 64 gr power points at 3400 in the 22-250 and was very satisfied with them. Good to.know they work at 223 speeds. Mb
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
I like the sierra 65gr gameking and hornady 60gr vmax
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Working ammo - 01/03/21
I stuffed a range bag full of magazines with M193 last night, just because Jan 6th is around the corner.

In my opinion, it’s never the wrong move.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
depending on the rifle, either M193 or M855. I hunt with handloaded Winchester 64 grain SP.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Working ammo - 01/04/21
Nosler 62 grain FBHP & Nosler 64 grain bonded.
Also in the lineup,
Hornady 55 SP
Sierra 69 Tipped Matchking
Nosler 77 Custom Competition BTHP.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Working ammo - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Found another 200 64 gr power pts and bought them. What powder were you using Sam? Mb
Posted By: rost495 Re: Working ammo - 01/05/21
Ammo. Preferably not FMJ but ammo regardless. Not overly picky. Much more picky about where it hits than anything else.

I've shot more than a few deer subsonic. A 240 30 cal doesn't even start to open. Deer are still very dead with one in the lungs.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Working ammo - 01/05/21
I don’t use ammo for work, so for what it is worth to you

I have a bunch of mk262 mod1( I believe that’s the designation) that I got from a good pal in the military contracting business. 77gr Sierra bullets. Shoots amazing in all of my ar’s, and I got a bunch of it for helping out unloading some trucks when he moved.

Have lots of 55gr fmj and 55 vmax stuff as well. My rifles just shoot the other so much better and I have bunches of it

He gave me some stuff last year that was supposedly not available to civilians?? 855a or something I didn’t know it wasn’t supposed to be practice ammo till I shot the 100 rounds he gave me. Oh well. Said he can’t get me anymore. It didn’t group for shiiit(3” at 100) Apparently that’s the norm he said.
© 24hourcampfire