Home
I'm about to put together my first AR upper and from all the info I'm researching in preparation to do the build, all of my sources specify AeroShell grease on the barrel nut threads in prep for the torquing procedure.

Why specifically AeroShell as opposed to other greases?
AeroShell is graphite free and apparently is milspec for the AR. I've read that graphite on the barrel nut can supposedly have negative consequences over time to the aluminum upper receiver. Not sure if true or not, but the milspec stuff works and eliminates any guesswork.
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I'm about to put together my first AR upper and from all the info I'm researching in preparation to do the build, all of my sources specify AeroShell grease on the barrel nut threads in prep for the torquing procedure.

Why specifically AeroShell as opposed to other greases?

There's assloads of other greases that are of the same basic composition, lithium with moly disulphide. Skip the graphite and all should be fine. Standing by for the horror stories of anyone that used something else, yet similar, and it went bad.
AeroShell is not always easy to come by.

I use Loctite 76732 Heavy Duty Anti-Seize Lubricant & it's worked well over the last 4-5 years or so of using it, & it's more easily available & has no compatibility problems with aluminum.

MM
I use the breech plug grease meant for muzzle loaders cause I had a tube of it and no longer have a muzzle loader. Works just fine.
Thanks guys. My take is "stay away from graphite" and all will be well.

Any issues with copper and Al?
I've always used anti seize and nothing else. Whatever I have handy. Sometimes the nickel jar, sometimes not.

YMMV as I've only been playing with assembly since 84
I use Armite Lubricants anti-seize that we use at work, it comes with an expiration date and we can no longer use it here at work, so I take it home before it's tossed in the trash. One can will last me for the rest of my life.

[Linked Image]
I use AL-based anti seize.

FWIU, graphite causes a galvanic corrosion reaction between the AL and steel.
Aeroshell 33ms is readily available in small quantities on ebay.
Aeroshell 33ms
I have a 5 lb can of WTR we used to lube Huey swash plates and rotors with. It expired and was headed for the garbage and I scooped it up before it went in the trash. It smells bad but it works good.

kwg
There once was a guy that paid $10 for on ounce of lithium grease! Damn!
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
There once was a guy that paid $10 for on ounce of lithium grease! Damn!

Ha ha. I'm sure there are a lot of guys that pay that:

Aeroshell 33

$5.00/oz.

Originally Posted by auk1124
AeroShell is graphite free and apparently is milspec for the AR. I've read that graphite on the barrel nut can supposedly have negative consequences over time to the aluminum upper receiver. Not sure if true or not, but the milspec stuff works and eliminates any guesswork.

Graphite is corrosive to aluminum.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by auk1124

Graphite is corrosive to aluminum.

Good to know.
© 24hourcampfire