Home
I read lots of snippets about different length gas systems performing differently, dwell time, over-gassed this and that. What do I need to understand about using suppressors on .223 AR-15s, for barrel lengths 10-16”? Is safety a concern? Just function? Mechanical integrity?
I have one on some 16 inch tubes and they work fine... it also works on my .22 LR autos
ThunderBeast Arms! I believe most recommended 11.5 minimum barrel length, due to pressure?
Most suppressed rifles function fine, regardless of carbine, mid-length gas?
AR15's in .223/5.56, 6.8, and 300 AAC have all functioned well for me with a Silencerco Omega. The DD AR10 in .308 had cycling issues until an adjustable gas block was added and runs great now.
That all of the ammo in your mags will get sooted up so you will be running the dirtiest AR you've ever run.

Mike
Won't be much quieter, will recoil less and the bad guys won't be able to home in on you.
Originally Posted by NYNY
Won't be much quieter, will recoil less and the bad guys won't be able to home in on you.

Won't be much quieter? Got BS?

Have dic'd around with a few lately and was not able to achieve joy trying to get functionality with the full spectrum of suppressed and non suppressed using sub- and super-sonic loads at ONE gas setting. So, settled upon just using supersonics on these ARs. Achieved roughly three-thirty o'clock ejection supressed and 5 o'clock unsuppressed on multiple rigs, 5.56, 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel. Heavy springs did not work how I tried them, but, I'm a nuuube.... It'd be easier to just set up to run suppressed. Everything factory built has worked fine just screwing the suppressor on, supersonic, however, tuning things down a bit is nice. Wear glasses. I tried 5, or maybe 6, different AGBs between $40 and $100 and really couldn't care less, if just setting up and leaving alone. You really don't need to try them fully closed, duhh. H buffers in most but did go heavier on the 7.62x39.

SilencerCo Omega is absolutely awesome and 10.5" 5.56 rated. Lots of choices out there, but, I am glad to have one. It's not just reduced noise, but less concussion and barrel rise. Just freaking do it.

11.5" is pretty good, but I want to try 12.5" next.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by NYNY

I agree. But quieter enough to be really nice and safe on the ears.

Why we can't make suppressors standard issue like other countries is beyond me... stupid liberals.
Won't be much quieter. Fuucking stupid +P, now X2. Only on the 'Fire. LOL
I think the point was cans on AR’s are still loud. Most are pretty loud at the shooters ear regardless. Way quieter than no can, but louder than a bolt gun.
Originally Posted by turkish
I read lots of snippets about different length gas systems performing differently, dwell time, over-gassed this and that. What do I need to understand about using suppressors on .223 AR-15s, for barrel lengths 10-16”? Is safety a concern? Just function? Mechanical integrity?

Lots of overgassed guns out there, adding a can raises the gas pressure.

Safety - not with a purpose built can rated for the use

Function, yes maybe. Easy fix, heavier buffer and/or turn down the gas. BRT ez-tune gas tube is an easy solution.

Integrity - not if you address the buffer and gas port.
When I am behind my AR shooting suppressed verses unsuppressed, suppressed is much quieter. Right at the threshold of hearing safe verses must wear hearing protection.

Shooting an AR-9 with subsonics, it is completely hearing safe, and 147 grain loads will generally be subsonic. Probably the funnest AR to shoot.
Backpressure, backpressure, backpressure......... Take a look at the OSS Helix suppressors which pretty much eliminate blowback in the breech.
No can on a 16" 223 will make it hearing safe. Owning several the only one that is, is on my 22 RF with subsonic.
If you think it's hearing safe, you are already deaf.
Wayyy. 😁
A right ear plug is definitely needed for the port noise on a 16" I wear plugs just because I'm super cautious with my hearing.
Dead Air Sandman S here and zero issues on any firearm.
You may be aware of this already, blowback at the charging handle is a bit distracting.
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Backpressure, backpressure, backpressure......... Take a look at the OSS Helix suppressors which pretty much eliminate blowback in the breech.

X2, I absolutely can vouch for the Helix.
Β© 24hourcampfire