Home
Posted By: Jiveturkey Mounting scope on flat top - 04/24/21
I'm wanting to mount a 3-9x40 on a flat top. Got a few with red dots, wanting one scoped. I have the scope, and I have some rings. The rings are 1 .25" from bottom to center, but I believe I'll need 1.5" at least. Should I forget about traditional rings & go with a cantilever mount instead. Any suggestions on a cheap scope mount, or should I get taller rings.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/24/21
Yes, go with a cantilever mount.
I bought this one on a recommendation from someone on this forum and it is a great set up for little money. Solid as hell

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Warhu...2C78-419C-A35E-B1DEDA56F1E5?ref_=ast_bln
I'd try it, but my scope is 1" .
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Cantilever+scope+mounts+1%22&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/25/21
PEPR
Originally Posted by Tyrone
PEPR

You are?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/25/21
Doncha know what a Burris PEPR is?
confused grin
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I'd try it, but my scope is 1" .

I believe Vortex markets a 1 inch version of this mount - not that cheap though. I have the 30mm version, and it is dead simple to work with. I have also used the Warne super high rings, in the 1 inch diameter, with okay results. I should look around and see if I still have them.....

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: TWR Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/25/21
Everyone makes a 1” version
Posted By: hanco Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/25/21
PEPR

I use the Burris PEPR on my ARs
Posted By: hanco Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/25/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Got me one on the way. I can hit an 8" target at 200 yards with a vortex sparc 2 red dot. If I make the red dot very faint & small it pretty much covers the 8" target at that distance. I've got a couple 3-9x40 scopes, vortex & a sig whiskey something or another. I'm interested in how good a group I can get with these cheap scopes. At least I'll see the target more clearly. Hope to scope it & get to range this week. Thanks for recommendations.
Posted By: hanco Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/26/21
Posted By: TWR Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/26/21
Better solutions do exist as well as 1” inserts.
Originally Posted by TWR
Better solutions do exist as well as 1” inserts.

Those are great, if you like and use QD's.
Originally Posted by Sheister
I bought this one on a recommendation from someone on this forum and it is a great set up for little money. Solid as hell

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Warhu...2C78-419C-A35E-B1DEDA56F1E5?ref_=ast_bln

That was my Chinky recommendation. Skips the Burris Chinky and Vortex Chinky markups for something that does the same damned thing. Those Warhuntusa units are about gone. Possibly superior to the $90 Vortex with the thread inserts.

I mean, for phucqk's sake, buy American!

Another frugalicious option, under $40, if not going to war, is UTG (not to be confused with UTG Pro items that are US Made.) Same chitten thing (functionality) as Vortex, Burris PEPR, SWFA SALT etc, less coin and universally well reviewed.

https://www.ebay.com/p/26014328101?iid=382531070567
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I'm wanting to mount a 3-9x40 on a flat top. Got a few with red dots, wanting one scoped. I have the scope, and I have some rings. The rings are 1 .25" from bottom to center, but I believe I'll need 1.5" at least. Should I forget about traditional rings & go with a cantilever mount instead. Any suggestions on a cheap scope mount, or should I get taller rings.

The mount I use places centerline of the scope 1.3 Inches from the flat of the rails, it is comfortable for me to shoot standing, sitting, and prone. Standard AR sights are around 1.4 inches depending on the front post height.

Definitely cantilever, Cannot recommend a cheap one, all mine are Giessele which I can definitely recommend. I once dropped an AR about 36" and it landed in the dirt on the top turret. Nightforce scope and Geissele mount, never lost zero.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/27/21
I also recommend getting the +2.5" or even + 3" forward offset.
Either a cantilever or the screw type rail indexed mount.
If the latter get a grip with the compartment where you can store an Allen key to ensure those nut things are tight. (Particularrly if you intend to swap between a holographic and the long glass.
Originally Posted by hanco

Nice rifles Hanco. Yours are like mine. They multiply in the safe and make twins...
Posted By: pdcrig Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/28/21
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Yes, go with a cantilever mount.

What he said....I really like the DNZ Freedom Reaper. I have two or three and they're great.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/28/21
I liked the Leupold cantilever mount that was about 80 bucks.
Posted By: badwolf Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/28/21
Aero precision, about $70 and 3 oz.
I've got it scoped now. Would post a pic, but I'm computer illiterate. Gonna try to go to range today. Thanks for the recommendations.
Cantilever or Rock River with the big knobs.
Posted By: hanco Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 04/28/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Nice rifles Hanco. Yours are like mine. They multiply in the safe and make twins...

I like pairs, got a pair of 99’s in 358, pair 99’s in 243, and a pair of old Sako’s in 264
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I like pairs, got a pair of 99’s in 358, pair 99’s in 243, and a pair of old Sako’s in 264

I have a pair too. Just sayin. As for mounts, I was going to offer up a good Leupold MK2 cantilever to the OP, but it looks like he has it handled. I'm also surprised so many here like the P.E.P.R mount. I use them and they work very well... Always hold dead nuts solid. Just one piece of the puzzle I don't have to worry about, when I'm using one on my AR. I've used some of the others mentioned as well. QD like TWR mentioned is great, if you like such things. I don't really like QD anything on my rifles, except maybe for slings. Super lightweight Aero precision, as mentioned "3oz's", look up reviews on that mount and see how many have give up the ghost. For a safe queen, I guess it would be alright. For something you use, probably not so much.. When I buy a mount, I look at what's available locally and generally the Leupold and Burris are available, so that is a plus. As for some of the cheap Chinese knockoffs mentioned, I don't know. Use them if you like. As with all of this chidt, there are so many ways to skin a cat that it can make your head spin.
PEPR

I use the Burris PEPR on my ARs

^^^This^^^

That’s what all mine have had. Best mount for the money IMO.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 05/03/21
Originally Posted by badwolf
Aero precision, about $70 and 3 oz.

Right here ^^^

kwg
Surprised no one here likes Leupold as it has 5 cross lock bolts. Looks tough as hell, not the lightest or heaviest.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Mounting scope on flat top - 05/03/21
Maybe someone can explain this, Scope rings for a hunting rifle are aesthetically pleasing, more or less. Form follows function, they have to hold the scope, and attach to the rifle. Experience suggests they do that well. OTOH, pic rail scope mounts for an AR commonly look like the guy that designed them got his experience designing apartment buildings in the Soviet Union. They resemble a bollard meant to restrain the USS Nimitz. What gives with that?
© 24hourcampfire