Home
Posted By: Mrhp Thompson 1927 - 05/12/21
Where do I ask for info on a new 1927? Is this the correct forum?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Thompson 1927 - 05/12/21
What do you want to know?
Posted By: Terryk Re: Thompson 1927 - 05/12/21
I had the deluxe version with sticks, and a drum. By far I consider it the worst firearm I ever bought.
I think mine was from late 1980's made by Auto Ordnance.
Trigger was similar to a prostrate exam, blue would rust if you picked it up, fit and finish was a "D" for a high school shop class. Rear sight fell off, and gunsmith laughed at the original "rivets". Ergonomics and balance were worse.
I think you would be much happier with a Jennings 22 pistol.

Now if it is an original 1927 from prohibition days, that is a different beast.
Posted By: Mrhp Re: Thompson 1927 - 05/12/21
Looking at a new model t1-14 semi-auto with the 16.5 barrel and the pinned compensator.Just getting for more of a novelty, but i want it to run like it should. Maybe I should rethink this a bit. I certainly don't want a gun that cant be enjoyed!
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Thompson 1927 - 05/12/21
I've shot the NFA '21s and '27s. I think the appeal is as collector/museum pieces (the '21s), sometimes with interesting provenance. Once you get past that, they're about the most boring SMG I've ever shot. Heavy, slow ROF = very easy to control. Even a grease gun is more fun. TSMGs are one trick ponies. One of a few SMGs almost anyone can safely shoot from the hip.

Don't know anything specific to the semi clones, except that they'll likewise be stupid soft in recoil, and pretty heavy. Power (low) to weight (high) ratio is pretty extreme. Suppose a .22lr version would be worse.
Posted By: Mrhp Re: Thompson 1927 - 05/13/21
Has anybody had good luck with a new one?
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Thompson 1927 - 05/14/21
So TerryK's remarks are about one made 30 years ago. These days Kahr has completely re-tooled Auto Ordnance with CNC machines everywhere. I think you'll find they look good, they work, and shot straight. Every semi-auto Thompson I have ever fired had a crappy trigger, so that may or may not still be the case. They are very heavy and a little awkward at first, but you'll get used to it.
Posted By: Mrhp Re: Thompson 1927 - 05/14/21
Makes me feel a bit better. I was ready to bunch the whole idea.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Thompson 1927 - 05/14/21
Go here: http://www.kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?16-Thompson&s=1f082012d82db867460db21a2da8bd2a

That's the place to ask questions.
Posted By: Mrhp Re: Thompson 1927 - 05/17/21
Thanks GunGeek!
© 24hourcampfire