Home
Posted By: pointer Handguard length? - 07/22/21
Is there a formula you use for determining what handguard length you use? The AR I am putting together will have an 18" barrel. Thinking of going with a 16-17" free float handguard. I like the look and will not be using any irons.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Handguard length? - 07/22/21
A 15 inch or greater free float handguard should completely cover your gas block, if your barrel has rifle length gas.

[Linked Image from cdn3.volusion.com]
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Handguard length? - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by pointer
Is there a formula you use for determining what handguard length you use? The AR I am putting together will have an 18" barrel. Thinking of going with a 16-17" free float handguard. I like the look and will not be using any irons.

I like a handguard that ends just before the threads begin.
Posted By: pointer Re: Handguard length? - 07/22/21
Thanks for the information! The barrel I'm looking at is mid-length gas, so it should be covered easily enough.

The "formula" regarding the location of the threads was very helpful. I will contact the barrel manufacturer about that measurement.
Posted By: TWR Re: Handguard length? - 07/22/21
Ya I have a couple of 13” hand guards on 16” barrels but my last one, I used a 15” and I just really like the extended rail.

I get a longer sight radius and more room to add my light where it needs to be instead of where it has to be. And I do like the way it looks.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Handguard length? - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by TWR
Ya I have a couple of 13” hand guards on 16” barrels but my last one, I used a 15” and I just really like the extended rail.

I get a longer sight radius and more room to add my light where it needs to be instead of where it has to be. And I do like the way it looks.

I can see how it would help to have room for the light/accessories AND still be able to place your support hand where it needs to be.
Thanks.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Handguard length? - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by TWR

I can see how it would help to have room for the light/accessories AND still be able to place your support hand where it needs to be.
Thanks.

Yes, but the part about sight radius is a moot point. Sights mounted on a handguard are not for precision work, so the sight radius doesn't matter. For an 18" barrel like the op has (mid length gas system), a 13"-15" handguard would be ideal.
Posted By: TWR Re: Handguard length? - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR

Thanks.

Yes, but the part about sight radius is a moot point. Sights mounted on a handguard are not for precision work, so the sight radius doesn't matter. For an 18" barrel like the op has (mid length gas system), a 13"-15" handguard would be ideal.

When you get old and can't see the front sight until it's way out there, you'll understand....
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Handguard length? - 07/22/21
When using a barricade for support a longer hand guard also let’s you spread out your points of contact without getting the barrel on the barricade.

I’ve used a 15” rail on an 18” barrel and didn’t feel handicapped. I’m not sure I could take advantage of anything longer.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Handguard length? - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
When using a barricade for support a longer hand guard also let’s you spread out your points of contact without getting the barrel on the barricade.

I’ve used a 15” rail on an 18” barrel and didn’t feel handicapped. I’m not sure I could take advantage of anything longer.

15" handguard on an 18" barrel looks fitting too.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Handguard length? - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR

Thanks.

When you get old and can't see the front sight until it's way out there, you'll understand....

Ok buddy. You made me laugh. I guess I will wait and see.. Thanks
© 24hourcampfire