Home
Just wondering what people here on the Fire are preferring for their AR builds or buys. Seems like there are good arguments both for and against having a forward assist on an AR. I definitely like the looks of them, but for a typical range/fun gun, kinda seems unnecessary.
Stoner had it right the first time. They're more likely to complicate a problem. But most uppers have them. And most know not to use them except to assure full battery when easing the carrier, trying to be discreet....
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Stoner had it right the first time. They're more likely to complicate a problem. But most uppers have them. And most know not to use them except to assure full battery when easing the carrier, trying to be discreet....

I am no expert but I agree with this
Exactly why I changed the upper on my S&W - discretion while calling coyotes.
I think I could live without the forward assist but would not mind keeping the dust cover.
Depends...................

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

MM
always forward assist. Have never seen an issue that it could or did create.
I like having the option. Never experienced a downside.
Useful to put the round back in battery after easing the bolt back just enough to drain the water after a crossing.
Would not have one without a FA.
I hunt & I like to keep it quiet while chambering by riding the bolt with my thumb, and then pressing the FA, to home the round.
Originally Posted by Blacktails
Seems like there are good arguments both for and against having a forward assist on an AR.

What are the good arguments to not have one?
I have several slick side uppers. I don't miss the forward assist on those. I have one regular upper. I've never used the forward assist but don't mind that it is there. Forward assists get a great big "Meh" from me. To each their own.
Originally Posted by rost495
always forward assist. Have never seen an issue that it could or did create.

This plus 10
Only time I ever used one was decades ago. Stuck a live round behind a broken case fragment. Slightly stuck became very stuck.

No harm cuz happened at a MG shoot, nobody shooting back. Arguably, operator judgment fail. On a positive note learned how to remove fragments.

Understand the proper uses: easing into battery discreetly, checking, etc. Not something I need.

See no material downside to having and not needing.
If you only use your AR for hunting and range shooting the need for forward assist is far less than if your azz is on the line. If your azz is on the line have forward assist is like a spare tire, you hope you don't need it but glad you do when you need it.
It's hard to think of why I'd go out of my way to avoid a FA
FA aids in the double checks I like to do when I first lock & load.
Aesthetics, the original slick and slender AR was a very outer space ray gun, all, what, 6+ pounds of it. A2's, A4's, M4's are just rifles with stuff hanging on them. My kid's M4 all up seems heavier than my Romanian SAR1 with a steel CLIP.
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
Would not have one without a FA.
I hunt & I like to keep it quiet while chambering by riding the bolt with my thumb, and then pressing the FA, to home the round.

This ^

If you shoot enough sooner or later you’ll have a small piece of brass or primer get in the bolt lugs race, and pulling the bolt back to see if the spring loaded close approach sucks.. ESPECIALLY if you are hunting.

I only do slick sides on target guns.
The last AR that I built was without a forward assist in order to save weight. No need for an FA in a hunting rifle.

Dan
Never had one FA models and builds everytime. Mb
Never need one until you do.

The weight is minimal, I kinda like them but I have BUIS on my guns too.
I like having it. It doesn't hurt anything being on there.
I used one a few times during my 27 year Army career. I was really glad to have it too!

Thanks, Dinny
Watched the Tucker Carlson interview with Kyle Rittenhouse.
If he had not had a forward assist, we might know exactly
what Bicep Boy was about to do.

The bolt was stuck, he used the assist in time to fire the shot.
Yeah, I just watched that interview. Confirms what I have always felt. They are there for a reason.
I have em but never needed to use em.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Watched the Tucker Carlson interview with Kyle Rittenhouse.
If he had not had a forward assist, we might know exactly
what Bicep Boy was about to do.

The bolt was stuck, he used the assist in time to fire the shot.

Absent the FA, Kyle would have used the charging handle and been in business as quickly. Had the FA failed to remedy, he still might have had time to recharge.

Had the FA worsened the stoppage we'd likely know what Biceps Boy intended to do.

Again, not knocking the FA for all situations. But the question lacks a one-size-fits-all answer.
If I were to have an AR again, it definitely would have the forward assist. But I doubt I'll get one again.
Start at about 11:16….

Originally Posted by viking
Yeah, I just watched that interview. Confirms what I have always felt. They are there for a reason.

Yep.
The fact that Kyle noticed that and took remedial action makes me even more impressed by him.
I only have one receiver that does not have one.

So far only shot about 60 rounds and have not had a need for one.

I have used it on one or more of the others from time to time.

They work.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The fact that Kyle noticed that and took remedial action makes me even more impressed by him.

No kidding
Great interview. Thanks for posting.
© 24hourcampfire