Home
Anything in particular you’re wanting?
I’m putting together a 350 legend for Ohio deer hunting and my kids hunting right now. Need a couple small parts and I got it whooped

Want to build a 13.7” after that. So probably by spring

Probably another pistol. This time 300blk

Then maybe ar10?
I would not mind an AR9 with something around a 7-8" barrel with folding stock for a bag gun.
I bought the AR9 with a 10.5" barrel I have now because I was not up to speed on the differences between the 9's and AR15 builds at the time.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Short folding stock AR for a backpack for Carolyns truck. Fixed A1 butt or other? Have some of the parts. Still debating things. Like I think a forend grip. Not sure which. Blue float tube as thats her. Light bipod? What sling.

Lower done. Trigger decided. Upper I have. Just down to various parts.

Optics. Athlon low power variable, night force same, or Bushnell 3x something we had and I have on my AK truck gun that works very well and is compact. She has already shot hogs the other side of 200 with that optics so its probably plenty.

Not sure that I want a SBR. But have no issue applying for it, though its just more stupid paperwork to make sure you have.
I'm still jonesing for a .224 Valkyrie, even though that cartridge's apex seems to have came and went.
Maybe a 6mm arc upper if I end up buying thermal

Have a lot of 6mm bullets I could burn!
10.5-12” 5.56/.223/Wylde SBR.

I would consider a mono integrally suppressed at 16” for a single stamp option.
Not really wanting to build anything new right now but want to upgrade a couple rifles. One needs a new barrel, another needs a piston installed.
Thinking about a true lightweight carbine. KE Arms poly lower, 16" pencil barrel, lots of carbon fiber and titanium. I'm thinking sub 5 pounds would be doable.
I've been focused on shorties lately (556 and 300 Blackout), and I have a real hankering for an accuracy build with an 18''-20'' barrel in 556. I have a (mostly) stock Colt LE 6920 that is reasonably accurate, but I would like to put together that is a step above in the accuracy department.
Can't make up my mind so just may wait to see if barrel availability improves. I have a couple lowers laying around egging me on though, and enough upper parts that I pretty much just need a barrel and a handguard. I don't have anything out side of the 14.5 to 16" range at the moment, may go shorter, may go longer, might try a new cartridge. Guess I could have stopped at "Can't make up my mind".
I'd like to put together some kind of a small package PCC.
Originally Posted by pullit
I would not mind an AR9 with something around a 7-8" barrel with folding stock for a bag gun.
I bought the AR9 with a 10.5" barrel I have now because I was not up to speed on the differences between the 9's and AR15 builds at the time.

Same here - AR9 with a sub 10" barrel and folding stock.
I have a pistol upper in my mind that I'd like to put together. 300BO, 8" bbl, FSB, and an A1 or A2 upper receiver.

The A1/A2 upper receivers are kind of scarce right now.
I have been thinking about a .350 legend upper. I probably should sell some 5.56 uppers first. I don't really need one but since when has need been a requirement.

kwg
I’m putting together an 18” .223 Wylde 1:7 twist together at the moment. Lower is a PSA “Let’s Go Brandon” that was completed Friday night. I’m just waiting on fining a handguard I like to finish the upper.
I'm looking to do a wildcat round. I don't know which yet. I want a bigger than 30 cal and am open to ideas. Anything out there use a 375 or 410/416 bullet for the AR-15?? I have a 375 Raptor for the LR platform.
6.5 grendel for hunting or AR-10

I also wanna build a old school M16 style rifle. I'm a big fan of the hand guard, front sight post, carry handel and stock.
For some reason I cant make up my mind between a 6ARC and a 204 Ruger
Originally Posted by Hoglegs3006
6.5 grendel for hunting or AR-10

I also wanna build a old school M16 style rifle. I'm a big fan of the hand guard, front sight post, carry handel and stock.

So funny to hear it called old school. Still have our service rifles in the safe. They still work well. Old school would be away from semi and back to enfields and Springfield's to us.lol
Not building up any new rifles right now. No more unless I sell one. Did put Radian ambi safeties in 3 of them yesterday, though.
I've been at this long enough to know what I want and have built them. I've not seen anything new in the past few years that has made me think "oh I've gotta have that".

The major influence I see now on "builds" is price, just how low can they go...
how low and still function and in the realm of 1-2 MOA is mind boggling. But I learned that in the 80s playing with parts guns. The parts were sometimes way worse, but it seemed that any cheap barrel was decent, somewhat more reliable than a factory deer rifle being really accurate.

Its only gotten better I think. Especially having some junk guns back then that won serious matches. And junk guns these days that hover at MOA and don't mis step. All for pennies on the dollar as they say
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I have been losely following the 6mm Arc. I have decided 6x45 is a better option since it would be a short distance shooter. Maybe even the 6.8. The guys on Predator Masters said the 6.5 Grendel is for punching paper and the 6.8 is for killing things.

kwg
I'd like a 12.5.
A good basic AR-10 that ain't costing me an arm and a leg
Originally Posted by kwg020

I have been losely following the 6mm Arc. I have decided 6x45 is a better option since it would be a short distance shooter. Maybe even the 6.8. The guys on Predator Masters said the 6.5 Grendel is for punching paper and the 6.8 is for killing things.

kwg

Hmm. And they think there is a real difference between the two? Thats funny as heck
Originally Posted by rost495

kwg

Hmm. And they think there is a real difference between the two? Thats funny as heck

You wouldn't think so. As for the 6x45, I love mine and you aren't limited to using schidt die sets, like what you get when you run the 6woa. OOPS... I know, you run that one and don't mind the expensive dimple making die set. I don't like it, but I did like the 6WOA. Twisted right (which again, WOA chooses to use a 1 in 10" twist for some reason). The 6WOA would make the most sense. Except they have a monopoly on who can make die sets for them I guess? I ended up selling that headache and moved on to the 6x45 with no regrets. YMMV...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

kwg

You wouldn't think so. As for the 6x45, I love mine and you aren't limited to using schidt die sets, like what you get when you run the 6woa. OOPS... I know, you run that one and don't mind the expensive dimple making die set. I don't like it, but I did like the 6WOA. Twisted right (which again, WOA chooses to use a 1 in 10" twist for some reason). The 6WOA would make the most sense. Except they have a monopoly on who can make die sets for them I guess? I ended up selling that headache and moved on to the 6x45 with no regrets. YMMV...

What twist did you settle on and what grain bullets do you prefer ??

kwg
I’m gonna tear apart the first upper I built and re-build it as a 6.5 Grendell. Even though I used an expensive barrel on the original build (a .556) it’s just never been a great shooter. I threw together another AR out of parts I had accumulated when buying stuff for that first build, and it shoots WAY better, generic Brownells barrel and all.

Just waiting for the right 6.5 barrel and bolt to show up in front of my schnoz. A LGS just got a 20” 6.5 Grendell barrel/bolt but I was thinking 18”... long barrels on AR’s look goofy and for my purposes with this build (LR screwing around at targets in volume) I have no use for a couple extra inches of tube.

kwg

Dunno those things. My 6 woa is a hunting gun. It stabilizes 80ish barnes and thats enough for me. No need for any other bullet. Die is Redding.

You only need enough twist, as I've said before my wifes shooting partner who is no slouch, shot 9 twist 223 on purpose in service rifle. Still running 80s at 600.. I prefer more twist though by far personally.

I've shot more than a few things with 6.8 of my buddies. my 6 WOA. 6.5 Grendel. 223. Frankly there is really no huge difference between any of them. And very unimpressed with my 50 beowulf. You know was thinking big they should flop... well they do. After about the same run as anything else out there.

Killing all pigs this winter with 223 and 40 vmax so far. No issues. The ones that run, don't run all that far. Close enough I can find em with Tiger in the mornings and get the ears and cut em open so the coyotes and buzzards waste no time.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I’m gonna tear apart the first upper I built and re-build it as a 6.5 Grendell. Even though I used an expensive barrel on the original build (a .556) it’s just never been a great shooter. I threw together another AR out of parts I had accumulated when buying stuff for that first build, and it shoots WAY better, generic Brownells barrel and all.

Just waiting for the right 6.5 barrel and bolt to show up in front of my schnoz. A LGS just got a 20” 6.5 Grendell barrel/bolt but I was thinking 18”... long barrels on AR’s look goofy and for my purposes with this build (LR screwing around at targets in volume) I have no use for a couple extra inches of tube.

Either a bad tube from the maker and they should remedy that or didn't get it set up correctly. 223 shoot.

Barrels. LOL one of my current play guns is 223. 28 inch Krieger. Just flat shoots 90 jlks really well and should do well when I get it to 1000 yards eventually.

kwg

I’ve got a 1-7 Aero 6 ARC. It’s around an inch for 5 rounds with the 103, 105 HPBT and 108. I’m pretty please with it so far. It is quickly becoming my favorite AR for carrying in the truck. Good bullet weight and speed.
I'm just taking my time building a 10" pistol (556). Don't need it but had the barrel. It's not gonna be spectacular but functional. Basically just need a dedicated lower and spring and buffer.

If I find a good deal I'll finish it but in no hurry
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Slowly but surely. Have a friend that I'm going to be buying an old Bushmaster A2 upper from. He replaced his A2 carry handle with a flat top receiver. I'll pull his apart and throw this carry handle on it.. Then I'll take my time finding the right lower... I like shooting these A2 rifles. It gives me practice shooting from the weak side...
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Either a bad tube from the maker and they should remedy that or didn't get it set up correctly. 223 shoot.

Barrels. LOL one of my current play guns is 223. 28 inch Krieger. Just flat shoots 90 jlks really well and should do well when I get it to 1000 yards eventually.

It’s not THAT good a barrel; it’s not a Krieger or any of those. It’s just a medium-thick profile stainless fluted tube from a company that builds well-regarded rifles. 1:8 twist.

It’s not horrible, just annoying that both my old stock Bushy M4’gery, and the “parts” rifle I put together after the problem gun, shoot very tangibly better.
Originally Posted by beretzs

kwg

I’ve got a 1-7 Aero 6 ARC. It’s around an inch for 5 rounds with the 103, 105 HPBT and 108. I’m pretty please with it so far. It is quickly becoming my favorite AR for carrying in the truck. Good bullet weight and speed.

That’s about what I’m seeing from my Brownell’s Faxson 1:8 barrel. I must have gotten a good one, as I’ve dread about some issues with them.
Cut your losses and buy a BCA barrel and screw it on.
Thanks. I’ll look into their Grendel barrels tonight.

I took the gun out of the safe out in the shop and stared at a while today. I sprung for a very nice floating handguard I want to re-use, but it’s really the right length for an 18” tube so that’s what I’m going to find. Hear that, LGS?! Lol..... trying to stay out of there or I’ll just buy what they have. Suppose I could shorten it, then thread the end for whatever I put on there (probably a brake) but that sounds a lot like work, haha...
Originally Posted by 10at6

Dayom...................that right there is some funny schitt. Laughin' here.

MM
Built this today on the cheap.. I did use a ballistic advantage barrel, hiperfire enhanced trigger. That did add to the cost of the build. It’s a 5.56

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by 10at6

Dayom...................that right there is some funny schitt. Laughin' here.

MM

Made me laugh pretty good too..
Rather been upgrading pieces: Tubb flat springs and Eclipse triggers for the Stoners, Trijicon HDXRs for the G40, red dot mount to move a deltapoint pro to a grendel pistol etc.
Recently put together a 223 wylde upper with a ballistics advantage barrel, odin works handguard, rock river lower with Cmc trigger, and magnum fixed carbine stock. Function tested it but have not scoped it to shoot yet.
I'd like a 12.5.

The 12.5 seems the best short barrel answer.

I am going to build some on mid gas as dedicated suppressor guns.

Can pin and weld the 4 inch mono core to make a 1 stamp gun.
Originally Posted by 79S
Built this today on the cheap.. I did use a ballistic advantage barrel, hiperfire enhanced trigger. That did add to the cost of the build. It’s a 5.56

[Linked Image]

I like that one.
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

I like that one.

Went and shot it today. It shoots 69gr SMK with 22.2gr of Accurate 2200. Pretty good 10 shot group .990 shot my 600yd load pretty good 75gr eld-m with 2460. I did measure that group. I put a 10x swfa on it to ensure I shot it good, me eyes suck and peep sights are not friend anymore.. I pulled it off, will get a 1-4.5 and put it on their for a service rifle setup.
Nice, & plenty good....................I'd say that you won that round of BA roulette. wink

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Nice, & plenty good....................I'd say that you won that round of BA roulette. wink

MM

I hear you on that, this is my second BA barrel and the other shoots just as equally well with 77smk.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I'd like a 12.5.

The 12.5 seems the best short barrel answer.

I am going to build some on mid gas as dedicated suppressor guns.

Can pin and weld the 4 inch mono core to make a 1 stamp gun.

Those will be popular. We've got several 12.5s in our office. They're short enough to be handy, but an 11.5" rail is long enough to be useful and to handle a PEQ and light. I'm still waiting to get one.

Yes, ran back across a Delta Point Pro sight that's been collecting dust on a safe top for over a year, ordered another 5.56 PSA 7 twist mid-length, it'll be here today, i dont shoot these rifles like you guys, but the little PSA's have served me well and have never offered any sort of hiccup, plus, another AR around with 31 62gr bearclaws or 64gr nosler bondeds on board is alright by me.

Both bullets run 2750 ish over 25gr Power Pro Varmint powder in LC match brass, I'll get it zeroed at 36 yards over the weekend.
© 24hourcampfire