Home
About 2008, I was tired of dragging gramps clean Marlin 336R .30-30 Win through the thickets, brushbusting ferals.
The old 870 and buckshot was a good choice but like fly fishing in a cane break.
A trip to my LGS in search of a Ruger "Mini" revealed a better (?) choice.
A Ruger "Ranch" in 6.8mm Rem SPC. I bit!
Love it!
At the time, there were no available "hi-cap" mags and all Ruger would sell were 5 round.
I was bummed, but didn't give up.
Thanks to my eldest, I finally became interested in AR's.
Thanks to my youngest, I got into "building" AR's.
Thanks to my LGS dealer, I got interested in the 6.8mm!
COOL!
Doing some "research" on my next AR build, I stumbled into a 6.8mm Rem SPC II barrel. Further research revealed hi-cap 10 and 30 round mags.
I was sold!
I've used my 6.8mm AR on deer, hogs and vermin.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! I know Rem did the same thing with the 6.8mm that it did with the .244 Rem. Screwed up the chamber and rifling, leaving otherwise fine cartridges to languish in the dust.

Does ANYBODY here use and/or like the 6.8mm Rem SPC?
...or am I just doomed as "the schmuck who likes a dud cartridge"?
I have one. Built off a Colt LE6920. I don't see it as a dud.
I have a mini, ar and a bolt in the 6.8. Great round. A good round for older people (me), matches my eyesight and recoil tolerance. Never had a problem with deer or hogs.
I started into shooting the 6.8 SPC by buying a used barrel from a member here.

The idea was to have a deer-legal AR, though already having a .458 SOCOM. I was thinking 6.5 Grendel but the deal came up on the 6.8, so that's the way I went. The 6.8 kinda sat on the sidelines while I played with the 458 and some heavier LBT cast bullets, but I picked it back up earlier this year.

Somehow I managed to get a little damage on the crown, so I took the opportunity to order a new barrel. This one is a Bison Armory 18" SPR. This barrel shoots pretty damn good with the only load I've tried so far, Hornady's 110 grain BTHP, which is probably not the best deer bullet available. I don't have enough Nosler 100 grain Accubonds to do the amount of testing I'd like to do, but I have several hundred Hornady 120 grain SSTs and several hundred 120 grain Cavity back MKZs to try.

I just finished a second build with an AR Performance 18" SPR profile, and its accuracy is comparable to the BA barrel, again with the 110 Hornady load. I have several hundred Hornady factory-loaded rounds along with 400 Nosler rounds loaded with a bullet I really don't want to use for deer, so there's my source of brass. I got a hot tip that Accurate 2200 was a good powder for the 120s, I've got other powders, too. Components can be on the hard side to find, specifically bullets and cases.

I've kinda gotten to like the round, view it as a niche round instead of a dud, and fully intend on using it in the field, for deer and yotes.
I'm about to pick up my 4th one tomorrow, an 18" Bison upper. I have two other 16" AR's, and a 11.5" pistol setup also in 6.8 SPC...as well as a T/C Contender with a 23" barrel. Start picking up as much brass as you can, I doubt it will get any easier in the future...just be aware Remington (and some others I *think*) use large rifle primers, most others use small rifle. Ammo can still be found for around $1/rd, which compared with other stuff, isn't that bad. I missed out on the ammo PSA was blowing out a few years ago for $7/box.

It really shines as a reloaded round, and AA 2200 is one of the better powders. I caught a deal a year or so ago from Midway on 90gr Gold Dots, and bought a bunch. A 90gr Gold Dot at 2850fps+ is an impressive round out of a 16" AR! You can use 6.5 Grendel AR mags...the only difference between the ASC 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC marked mags are the legs on the follower are a little shorter, everything else is identical.
Killed a pile of animals with it various 6.8's but mostly a 12.5" bbl. In factory ammo it's a toss up for me between the 90gr gold dots and 115gr fusions. The 115gr definitely penetrate deeper and maybe because I've shot more animals with them, I trust them a little more. The 90gr are easier to move fast. The 110gr accubonds are supposedly the bees knees but I never got around to shooting anything with them.

If you treat it maybe like a 30-30...great to 100 yards, but definite drop off in killing power past 200 yards, it will serve you well.

You could say I'm a fan as I have 3 6.8 SPCs. The mini is SAAMI and the others are spec 2.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

yes but mine is necked down to a 6mm.
You should try one!
I have 2 of them. I have made a bunch of others, mostly ARs but also a few bolt actions on Howas and CZ 527s.

I have killed 38 head of game with mine, and I love therm. I have several friends who also are using the ones I made from them, one of which has 44 kills with his AR.
Accurate and very deadly. I(t never took off the way I thought it was going to, but for my use I see nothing to complain about at all. I love mine
Yes, it’s a great round for deer from an AR. I have multiple, including a bolt gun. My family has used the cartridge for a while now and have put down many deer with it.

The bolt gun is an 18” bbl and the ARs are 16’s. The lack of recoil and blast make it a contender for the perfect youth deer cartridge. I still enjoy using the bolt gun from climbers and when rattling, as it’s very portable. I have taken deer out to 250 yards.

The ARs are great, especially suppressed.

I mainly shoot Hornady 120 SSTs but want to try the Accubond loads to see if it is any better. Friends say the accubond is the bullet for the 6.8 on deer, due to performance at its velocity. I have heard good things about the Barnes bullets from it.
The 6.8 has become my favorite Texas Hill Country deer rifle. It is a Ruger #2 with 22" Shilen barrel standard spec II chamber.

Attached picture full-55403-195798-68fulllengthpic-SML.jpg
I have heard the same, that the 110 Accubond is the bullet for yhe 6.8 SPC.

The only problem is getting any, they seem to never have them. I manged to get 50 100 grain ABs when I put my first 6.8 together. They happened to be in stock and I thought that's the way it was.....yea, right..... 50 ain't enough to really find things out and have enough to load for a season or more. I don't want to try to get by on just a few, I'd like to have another 150 or so just to have a decent amount that is uniform in lot numbers.

The 120 Hornady is, from what I gather, the next best one but can be rather destructive though it seems to penetrate well. I may try out some Cavity back 105 grain MKZs also, this being a monlithic bullet.

Nothing 6.8 SPC, component-wise, really seems to be readily avaiable.
Got an Anderson 6.8 SPC II bbl in reserve. Need to complete the parts purchase.
Deer, hogs and 'yotes and I'm tickled to death.
Glad to hear I'm not the ONLY fan!
Everybody around me gives me that, "Does he have two heads?" look when I tell them I shoot a 6.8.
Finally got some AA2200 and the Speer 90gr Gold Dots.
My little rifle loves them.
After building my AR, I found a box of Sierra 90gr HP's.
My first three hog kills were with the 90gr HP.
...and yes, Hornady and Federsl use SRP and Rem uses LRP.
Not only that, the Hornady primers are crimped. 😖!

Great round.
Low recoil.
I'm not much sniper. My max range is 200/250 yards.
Yeah, I can see and shoot further and I trust my rifle....I don't trust me any longer. 😉
I like venison, but if I'm hungry, I'll go to the grocery store.
If I'm THAT hungry, I'll get within range.

Thanks for the input folks.
If you haven’t purchased the barrel yet, look at AR15 Performance and Bison Armory. Both specialize in 6.8 and offer outstanding accuracy for about $200.
Yeppers, I've got a barrel.......no other parts right now!
A couple of LGS carry lowers, but their "cheapie" is like $150/$200! ☹
Hard for me (I'm a tight wad! Okay?) to spend that much when I can get one through Primary Arms for +/- $50 + shipping and transfer.
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Yeppers, I've got a barrel.......no other parts right now!
A couple of LGS carry lowers, but their "cheapie" is like $150/$200! ☹
Hard for me (I'm a tight wad! Okay?) to spend that much when I can get one through Primary Arms for +/- $50 + shipping and transfer.

I like Primary Arms, especially their optics.
I built a 6.8spc AR a couple years ago and have used it for 2 KY whitetails. I use the 110 grain Accubonds and they work great.

This bullet entered on the front of the shoulder of a buck and ended under the hide behind the last rib for about 18-20 of travel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 6.8 is my main deer hunting rife here in KY. Really need to build a 12.5" AR in it.
Primary Arms has always done me right.
They ran a special on some barrels 9ne weekend, but my "mad money" account needed an infusion. Monday morning, I made the transfer and called Primary Arms.
"You had barrels on sale last weekend. Can I still get one at that price?"
Yeppers! Got one! Thank you Primary Arms!
Called and told one of the salesmen, "I need one (1) short roll pin." Guy sent me 4, no charge!
I use PA as much as I can.
Great bunch of guys!
Great information.
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
If you haven’t purchased the barrel yet, look at AR15 Performance and Bison Armory. Both specialize in 6.8 and offer outstanding accuracy for about $200.

Have one of each, both 18", absolutely no complaints with either.
Primary Arms has always done me right.
They ran a special on some barrels 9ne weekend, but my "mad money" account needed an infusion. Monday morning, I made the transfer and called Primary Arms.
"You had barrels on sale last weekend. Can I still get one at that price?"
Yeppers! Got one! Thank you Primary Arms!
Called and told one of the salesmen, "I need one (1) short roll pin." Guy sent me 4, no charge!
I use PA as much as I can.
Great bunch of guys!
Great information.

I've had good luck with PA as well but haven't had to use their customer service. Good to know they take such great care of their customers.....will keep that in mind next time I'm shopping around.
Love the 6.8 SPC- built a 20inch AR with an AR performance barrel last year. Soft shooting and accurate. Accounted for 2 whitetails past November...Joe
Had a couple. One was a factory Stag model 7, the other a custom build with a 20" BHW barrel. Both shot good but I never felt the caliber could do anything more than a 6.5 Grendel could.
The 6.8 is a better round within +/-350 yards.
After that, the 6.5G looks better.....on paper.

Honestly Ghostman, I have never even picked up a 6.5G, much less shot one! LOL!
I can't imagine that there can be any major, significant difference between the two at ranges most encountered by deer hunters. Say 250 yards or less.
The longest shot I've made with my AR 6.8 was about 125 yards. It dropped a doe quite handily.
My "self imposed" limit is 200/250 yards.
First, no place I hunt offers a shot much more than that.
Secondly, I'm not sure I can hit anything consistently beyond that. ....and that's not the gun. My hands and eyes just "ain't whut they usta be"! LOL!
Neck them down to a 6mm and they are damn near perfect in the AR15 platform. At least for me it would be.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

My 6.8 is Bison because ARP was out but I have 16” ARP barrel in 223 Wylde. Both shoot great.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

My 6.8 is Bison because ARP was out but I have 16” ARP barrel in 223 Wylde. Both shoot great.

I'd buy from either company again.

Both are new, with just a little over 100 rounds down each tube, so I haven't found out a lot. But nothing's been bad.
havent shot the 6.8 in a few years, but when i did, it got the job done. 120gr sst worked fine.

I have a couple of them, both AR's. Mine are accurate, and though I like using them, I rarely do. Haven't shot them in a few years. It's a good little cartridge, but is pretty much very limited in popularity.
Have a 22" Bison on my 6.8 II and getting 2988fps with 95gr ttsx and very accurate as well.
Great round for short to medium distance, just wish they still made the 110 grain ProHunter.
Originally Posted by javman
Have a 22" Bison on my 6.8 II and getting 2988fps with 95gr ttsx and very accurate as well.

What reading I've done on the round, I understand it was "designed" around a 90 grain bullet.
I've had my best accuracy AND performance with 90 grain bullets.
It also performs very well with Hornady's 110 VMax. I just like the additional "zip" of the lighter bullets.
If you have it in a bolt-action rifle, then you're not going to be restricted by magazine length. The 6.8 SPC II chamber allows you to seat way out to around 2.4" and then the 110's work magic at over 2800 fps. The extra short Model 20 NULA weighing around 6 lbs with scope would be perfect for the 6.8 SPC II.
I've only got one AR. It has the SPC II chamber.
My Ruger "Ranch" in 6.8mm Rem SPC hasn't been rechambered and probably won't.
The Anderson 6.8mm AR barrel I've got set back has the SPC II chamber.
Why don't you get the Ruger rechambered to Spec II? You can then run the same more powerful ammo in both.
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Why don't you get the Ruger rechambered to Spec II? You can then run the same more powerful ammo in both.

OFS - (Old Fart Syndrome)
Ruger built the "Ranch" in 6.8mm Rem SPC from 2007 until 2012 until it was inexplicably dropped from production. (?)
Because of my OFS and my delight in the 6.8mm round and being a weirdo collector, I've decided to keep the rifle as original as possible. I have the original "box, lock and literature" the gun came with.
I don't know that reworking the chamber would affect value or collectability, but I just choose to keep it "all original".
That's my OFS shining through! 😉!
A very nice cartridge. I've killed 15 or 20 deer, a couple hogs, and 5 or 6 turkeys with the 6.8 SPC using a 10.5 SBR, a 16" Wilson Combat barreled AR, and a Ruger Compact Hawkeye. The bullets I've used the most are the 100gr AB, 95gr TTSX, and 85gr TSX. I bought the Hawkeye for my son as his first deer rifle when he was 8. He shot it well immediately. It seems the 6.8 is much less blasty than the .243.

I think the primary reason for the 6.8 never being more popular was the lack of cheap blasting ammo.

I'm also a fan of the 6mm-6.8 in a bolt action.
Great cartridge for the AR15 platform. Have several AR15Performance guns that shoot fantastic groups. Killed tons of deer and a few Axis with them. Does not need long barrel for good velocity. Lots of choice in bullets for great value. I use 95gr Barnes at 2950 fps for most of my serious hunting. Another great bullet is the Cavity Back 105 gr and 120gr. Shame its not more recognized for what it will do.
Originally Posted by TxJW
Great cartridge for the AR15 platform. Have several AR15Performance guns that shoot fantastic groups. Killed tons of deer and a few Axis with them. Does not need long barrel for good velocity. Lots of choice in bullets for great value. I use 95gr Barnes at 2950 fps for most of my serious hunting. Another great bullet is the Cavity Back 105 gr and 120gr. Shame its not more recognized for what it will do.

My 6.8 AR absolutely LOVES the 90 gr Gold Dot bullets.
I like it well enough, I don't see a reason to use anything else.
The bolt 6.8 SPC is a great rifle. I really like the cartridge.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]print screen windows
Originally Posted by JRS3
The bolt 6.8 SPC is a great rifle. I really like the cartridge.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]print screen windows
Who did your camo job?
The smith sent it off and it was years ago but I think it was Northwest Hydro Dipping.
Thinking that a .25 SPC using the 110 grain ELD-X in a bolt action rifle seated to about 2.44" would be good. Although I would lose about 100 fps over the 6.8 SPC with 110 grain bullets, by 200 yards it is going faster and less wind drift, 7.3" 10 mile/hr drift at 300 yards v 9.0", (but 0.4" more drop) and greater sectional density. Really like the 6.8 SPC though. Only shoot to 300 yards with it.
I’ve run a couple in ARs for about 10yrs. I’ve had some other ARs outside of 223/5.56 chambering. I’d keep the next 7.62x39 I build, but doubt I’d own another Grendel or anything else between .224 and .277 bore size. I don’t see a need right now. The 6.8 always performed better on animals to 300, than the Grendel…..FOR ME. It could have been bullets, load, etc….but I can say the same for the 270 vs any other 6.5s I have or had. Anecdotal? Sure. My 6.8 ARs have never let me down on deer, hogs, or coyotes….to any range I could shoot them at where I hunt…..which is most always under 400, and rarely over 250. I’m REALLY wanting a small bolt gun in it, but would likely have to sacrifice one in 223 to get there, and haven’t been able to get there yet. If I got out of the 6.8, I’d probably go straight to the HAMR or a 7.62x39, for my needs. Giving up some trajectory for some perceived authority works better in my mind than gaining trajectory I don’t use on most game or beating out a 77gr 223 if I did. I’ve shot a lot of critters with a 6.8, and it’ll be a while before I run out of loads or components.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I’ve run a couple in ARs for about 10yrs. I’ve had some other ARs outside of 223/5.56 chambering. I’d keep the next 7.62x39 I build, but doubt I’d own another Grendel or anything else between .224 and .277 bore size. I don’t see a need right now. The 6.8 always performed better on animals to 300, than the Grendel…..FOR ME. It could have been bullets, load, etc….but I can say the same for the 270 vs any other 6.5s I have or had. Anecdotal? Sure. My 6.8 ARs have never let me down on deer, hogs, or coyotes….to any range I could shoot them at where I hunt…..which is most always under 400, and rarely over 250. I’m REALLY wanting a small bolt gun in it, but would likely have to sacrifice one in 223 to get there, and haven’t been able to get there yet. If I got out of the 6.8, I’d probably go straight to the HAMR or a 7.62x39, for my needs. Giving up some trajectory for some perceived authority works better in my mind than gaining trajectory I don’t use on most game or beating out a 77gr 223 if I did. I’ve shot a lot of critters with a 6.8, and it’ll be a while before I run out of loads or components.
What is your preferred bullet in the 6.8?

Deer and hogs mainly.
Yeh, I know the 6.8 is excellent...just curious to see if a .25 SPC with .465 bc 110 grain ELD-X at near 2700 fps might have the edge past about 250 yards over the 110 Accubond in 6.8 with .370 bc at 2800 fps.
Yeh, I know the 6.8 is excellent...just curious to see if a .25 SPC with .465 bc 110 grain ELD-X might have the edge past about 250 yards over the 110 Accubond in 6.8 with .370 bc.
Will it have enough velocity for good expansion at distance?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Yeh, I know the 6.8 is excellent...just curious to see if a .25 SPC with .465 bc 110 grain ELD-X might have the edge past about 250 yards over the 110 Accubond in 6.8 with .370 bc.
Will it have enough velocity for good expansion at distance?
The ELD-X is not a tough bullet, designed to open at long distances through say a .270 Win....that should roughly equate to 200 yards less with a 6.8 ...so I figure. Don't forget I'm talking a bolt gun seated way out with a 22" barrel so velocity is around what I edited above. And if the 110 ELD-X is no good, there's the 110 grain FTX which certainly will expand, bc is crap at .340 though.
The 110 NAB is my favorite. However, to 200-ish, that 90gr gold dot pushed hard is surprising in performance vs heavier stuff, too. Nothing wrong with the SST

The 6mm/257 variants offer nothing for my use over the 6.8 or 223. I have other rigs/combos for playing or hunting long, that I’d use if needed.

I’ve killed deer to 334 with the 6.8 110 NAB combo, but that was a dire circumstance on a backup scenario with a new hunter that shot a deer in a front leg that needed a grace shot.

Normally, I don’t need better performance past 250. I need best performance inside that. 6.8 shines over smaller bores in that window, IME.
I've found the 6.8 110 grain TSX at 2800 muzzle velocity outstanding on hogs.
I don’t know if the 110TSX is as good as the 95TTSX at 6.8 speeds, but I’ve heard they’re very good. I’ve just not tried them. I’ve never had any of the NABs, SSTs, or Gold Dots come apart or fail to penetrate more than enough to leave two holes, unless front on.
I don’t know if the 110TSX is as good as the 95TTSX at 6.8 speeds, but I’ve heard they’re very good. I’ve just not tried them. I’ve never had any of the NABs, SSTs, or Gold Dots come apart or fail to penetrate more than enough to leave two holes, unless front on.

From what I've "read", the 6.8mm Rem SPC was designed around lighter bullets.
My best luck reloading for my 6.8 has been with 90 and 100 grain bullets.
Best accuracy and best effects*.
I'd REALLY like to try the Nosler 85 grain bullet, but I'd have to put them on lay-a-way! LOL! My tightwad wallet would pucker every time I put one downrange! 😖
I've got some Hornady 110 V-Max that do okay, but not as accurate as the 90's.
I bought some Federal ammo with 100 grain SP bullets. They're pretty accurate too.
I don't understand putting heavy bullets in a cartridge designed for lighter bullets.

Too each his own!

* - one shot kills
The 110 Accubond has been the perfect balance for me. A 95gr TTSX is a good weight vs bc, and the 90gr gold dot is very good….it just runs out of steam quicker than longer/heavier pills. If I was staying inside 150 all the time, light bullets would be a viable choice. Then again, it’s getting away from what it’s capable of. It wasn’t ‘designed’ to only be useful with a specific bullet weight, anymore than the 30-06 was…..else there’d be nothing above a 150gr in an ‘06. MOF, the original 6.8 loads were a 115gr SMK and a 115gr FMJ….IIRC.

From what I've "read", the 6.8mm Rem SPC was designed around lighter bullets.
My best luck reloading for my 6.8 has been with 90 and 100 grain bullets.
Best accuracy and best effects*.
I'd REALLY like to try the Nosler 85 grain bullet, but I'd have to put them on lay-a-way! LOL! My tightwad wallet would pucker every time I put one downrange! 😖
I've got some Hornady 110 V-Max that do okay, but not as accurate as the 90's.
I bought some Federal ammo with 100 grain SP bullets. They're pretty accurate too.
I don't understand putting heavy bullets in a cartridge designed for lighter bullets.

Too each his own!

* - one shot kills
With the Spec II chamber, a 22" barrel and without the length restriction of around 2.26", you can seat the projectiles way out and gain easily 150 fps or more. 110 grain projectiles at just over 2800 fps gives excellent performance on game. As stated by Whiskey, the 6.8 was designed for the 115, 110 grain bullets but it was found that with the magazine length restriction of around 2.26" and short barrels like 16", the bullet weight needed to come down for optimal results as the velocity wasn't there.
The Spec II/6.8x43 chamber correction (along with sensible throats and twists) from Remington’s SAAMI bungle allows the necessary velocity in AR mag length restrictions. Sure, a longer mag box allows you to do more…but that’s true with most any cartridge. Same with more barrel length. The 6.8’s strong suit is that it’s able to get very good performance within the AR mag AND short barrels….something the smaller bores (224s/6.5s) struggle with. The bullet weight doesn’t need to be over 110-115 for the 6.8 to do its particular thing. It also doesn’t have to come down for it to get plenty of velocity for what it’s best at, either. Everything can be ‘tweaked’ or improved upon with adjusting parameters. Where it’s a true need vs a desire is debatable.
Still thinking on a 6.8 upper. Good info in this thread.
While I’ve shot deer and hogs with my 6.8s (and it’s great for it), I’ve never seen any other cartridge be more emphatic on coyotes to 300, either. I have the occasional ‘live a minute’ on coyotes with 223s, but never with a 6.8. I’ve probably shot only 25-30 with the 6.8, so maybe my sample is smaller than some….but it’s hard for me not to naturally grab 6.8 over a 223….especially if I know it’s going to be mostly short to mid range stuff. Then again, there’s no flies on a 77gr 224 for all around, either.;)Just more opinion, though.
If you are interested in the HAM'R or 7.62 x 39, have you considered the 6.8 case necked up to .30 cal? You should be able to run the .30 125s at around the same velocity as the 6.8 110s with similar trajectory if using the Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond as the b.c. is similar to the 6.8 Accubond .370.
^^^^ at one time, absolutely….30 AR (Herrett). It would be ‘ideal’. However, my loading is on hiatus due to moving to an old farmstead and waiting to get stuff built. I’ve got a stash of 6.8 to tide me over, so it’s the easy button….but it would be able to equal 30-30, for sure. Right now, I have to pick convenience over possibility. wink
If you are interested in the HAM'R or 7.62 x 39, have you considered the 6.8 case necked up to .30 cal? You should be able to run the .30 125s at around the same velocity as the 6.8 110s with similar trajectory if using the Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond as the b.c. is similar to the 6.8 Accubond .370.
Advantages of the 30x6.8 over the Hamr?
Velocity and trajectory (which is related to velocity). In a bolt action rifle with a 2.5" mag (eg NULA Model 20 Short = less than 6lbs with scope!!!) you should be able to get 2800 fps with a 22" barrel using the .308 125s and 2550 fps using .308 150s, I would expect. I get 2820 fps with 22" for the 110s in 6.8 and just under 2600 fps with 130s in 6.8. Actually, I'm going to download my .308 and see how it performs at these velocities with 125s and loan it to a new shooter and also to satisfy my curiosity. It will be interesting to see if it works as well as the 6.8 SPC. Sectional density of the .308 125s concerns me a bit.
30x6.8 vs HAMR? Case capacity, which equals velocity.

I’m not to concerned with the sectional density in the 30 with today’s good bullets….plus, I’m referring to deer and hogs, not moose hunting with it, per se.

With almost any bolt platform, you get more length to seat bullets out. With almost any increased barrel length, you get increased velocity.

I have a <6# 308 bolt gun and a 270 mtn rifle, if I want 22” barrels and more velocity and bullet weight. Having said all that, there’s zero reason a 150 gr 30 bullet suited for a 30-30 or 300 savage wouldn’t work nicely in a 30 AR/Herrett…..to at least 30-30 speeds.

The 6.8 is still the easy button in an AR, vs gains…..to me.
I've got 2. I like them. Not going anywhere any time soon.
Just checking the zero on my 12.5” SBR a few weeks ago. The 6.8 is a great deer, coyote and defense round.
H4198 and 90 grain Speer Gold Dots at 2700 fps seem to be dialed in.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Houser52
Just checking the zero on my 12.5” SBR a few weeks ago. The 6.8 is a great deer, coyote and defense round.

"Seem to be.."

Lol.
The 6.8 is still the easy button in an AR, vs gains…..to me.

Kind of why I am leaning that direction. No special steps to handloading and factory ammo available so to speak.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Houser52

"Seem to be.."

Lol.

“Seem” = Ebonics. Lol
I love the caliber. I had 4 rifles in it. I say had because I still have 3 but Milwaukee PD has one in their stolen firearms department. It was stolen 5 years ago and the [bleep] who ended up with it has been in County for going on 4.5 years. I hope to get it back if the [bleep] ever goes to trial. I have killed a lot of pigs on hunts in TX and Alabama. I have shot 1 deer with it and it did very well.
Up.
I’ve always kind of wanted a 6.8. A couple months ago I ran into a deal on some Winchester Deer Season XP 115gr. I ended up with a case (200 rounds) delivered to my door for $112. I then waited until I got what I think is a bargain on a new Stag Arms varminter in 6.8. I just mounted a scope last night and hope to get it in the field come rifle season in December. I’m not a hand loader so I’m hoping for the best with the Deer Season XP.
In action…..

I was intrigued with the round , so I purchased an upper for myself. Have not shot it yet, but intend to this week! Cool little rounds and history! That is a primo looking weapon you have there!
I had the 16” 6.8 in the truck while checking fences the other day when this little guy came trotting across the pasture. Tried to stop him several times by barking but be never broke stride. Put the + on his nose and squeezed, lost sight of him at the shot but after driving to where I last saw him, there he laid. 168 yards, 120 grain SST.
He wasn’t too healthy looking and eat up with mange.

Yeah…..I should probably start back using my 6.8 as my night rig for coyotes again, as I definitely get less runners. Lol
Upper came yesterday. Factory Hornady for now then 110 Accubonds when I start loading.
I’m wanting a 12.5” barrel to build an upper for my SBR. If you can get the NABs anywhere above 2500, they’re about all that’s ever needed. The folks able to push them past 2700 are creating a hammer that likely outperforms the HAMR or much else from an AR to 350+. Other stuff is more up close or passes it further out, but little does as much for all in between, IMO. (From an AR or mini action)
We will see. 18" barrel right now. May look at a 20" if this one is a melon for some odd reason.
Running suppressed, so longer than 16” is no bueno for me and the 6.8.
Running suppressed, so longer than 16” is no bueno for me and the 6.8.
Affirmative
I also like the 6.8. Built mine in 2015 with 18” blackhole barrel shooting the 110 gr sierras. Killed a bunch of deer with it. And it’s scary accurate. Then blackhole came out with the .30 x 6.8 so of course I had to have it. Built the upper bought the dies and that’s as far as it went. So it has been unfired. Between work and family it will probably collect dust, unless someone is looking for one.
The Barnes 95 grain TTSX is too hard in my opinion for the 6.8 velocity. We have shot 3 small deer with them and in each case saw little to no evidence of expansion. The last one about 90 pound doe was struck high in the spine, bullet did a nose dive and came out the bottom of her chest. It took us a while to find that deer.
Posted By: JJF Re: Anybody use the 6.8mm Rem SPC? - 10/11/23
I don't have a 6.8 spc but I do have a Winchester 70 in 270 Win that I have downloaded to shoot a Hornady 130 gr SST at a MV of 2450 fps, using either IMR4198 or Reloder 7 (thanks to Seafire for his reduced MV load recommendations). This combo is very accurate and an absolute pleasure to shoot. The reason for doing this is because I bought a Sightmark 4K Mini NV scope, which has a recoil tolerance of only up to .308 caliber. So, I downloaded to be able to mount this on my Win 70. I don't have an AR yet but may get one in the future (probably a 6.8 spc II). The area that I hunt has become infiltraded by hogs, which can be hunted 24/7. To date, I've only been able to shoot this combo at paper but I hope to change that soon.
I’ve got an AR with a Bison barrel and a Rem 700 in 6.8. The Remington really likes the 115 sierra that was discontinued and the AR gets fed the federal 90GD over run load. Only shot called in varmints and a few pigs with the AR…. The 90GD’s have hammered everything. Im Pretty impressed by them.
Originally Posted by Benbo
I’ve got an AR with a Bison barrel and a Rem 700 in 6.8. The Remington really likes the 115 sierra that was discontinued and the AR gets fed the federal 90GD over run load. Only shot called in varmints and a few pigs with the AR…. The 90GD’s have hammered everything. Im Pretty impressed by them.
I would love to find some Federal factory 90 grain Fusions or some of the Speer 90 grain Gold Dot component bullets.
I’ve got 4 boxes of the Federal XM68GD. Make me a reasonable offer..
friend of mine's got one. and I told him that should have been a 6.5 to start with. and lo and behold what's he fine from black hole weaponry a 6.5-6.8.. yes the 6.8 cartridge neck down to 6.5 it's a winner..
For hunting on a case that fits in an AR mag length, give me the 6.8 over the 6.5. If I’m going smaller than the 6.8 in bore size, I’d look to the 6 ARC (or other 6) or stick with 223. Purely anecdotal, but I got more exits, better blood trails, and stuff died faster moving to the 6.8….even with the same bullets in lighter weights. Again, if I was shooting past 250 much and in more open terrain, or running longer barrels to get max advantage from the case, the pros of the 6.5 might have become evident. I’d think a ARC would be even better at that, but I haven’t done that one. For shooting deer/hogs inside 250-300? The bigger bullet diameter seemed to matter more. I’m sure others have had differing experiences, and they gotta go with what they like. That Fusion/Gold dot 90gr punches far above its weight class, too. 75% of my deer fall to a 110gr NAB leaving out better than 2500. How much faster doesn’t seem to matter. Again, just anecdotal from shooting stuff.
Originally Posted by Mike3888
I’ve got 4 boxes of the Federal XM68GD. Make me a reasonable offer..
Thinking on that.
Mike3888,

If 10gauge does not want the ammo, PM me and I will take them.

Jeff
Pm sent to to both parties..
© 24hourcampfire