Home
I have my PSA 300 AAC BLK pistol all setup with my new Silencer Central Banish 30 and a Holosight green dot reflex sight. So, now to re-zero with my chosen tactical (read...good for personal defense) load......only to find almost every sub-sonic loading from every manufacturer is loaded with Match type bullets?!?!? Am I missing something here?! What the heck to you get a suppressed 300 AAC for if it isn't home defense. I'm not looking to punch match grade holes at 300 meters, just putting down a threat at under 50.

COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only one listed at Midway is Speer Gold Dot LE 210 Grain and of course it's not available.
Here's some 110gr VMax,

https://www.freedommunitions.com/300-blackout-110-gr-v-max-new-1.html

Variety of stuff here,

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/300-aac-blackout-ammo

Underwood has some of their loads in stock,

https://www.underwoodammo.com/rifle-ammo?cartridge_uw=685
I wouldn't shoot subsonic loads for defense no matter what bullet is loaded in them.

Something like the supersonic 110 vmax Montana Marine listed would be what I'd be looking at.
I like the 110gr VMax too.

I tend to buy whatever is cheapest for practice, 150gr FMJ or whatever. 110gr VMax for house gun duty.
Actually, match bullets are cheaper in those weights than most hunting bullets due to construction. You should price some 200gr Accubonds sometime.
Dude270,

Why not? At home defense distances, subsonic 220 grain 300 BLK hits as hard as 44 mag ammo out of a 4 inch barreled revolver and nobody ever says that the 44 mag is not sufficient for home defense.
Originally Posted by petemacmahon
Dude270,

Why not? At home defense distances, subsonic 220 grain 300 BLK hits as hard as 44 mag ammo out of a 4 inch barreled revolver and nobody ever says that the 44 mag is not sufficient for home defense.

Ft-lbs might be similar, but terminal ballistics are not.

The subsonic match bullet will need to quickly yaw sideways to make a serious wound.
Another consideration with heavy subsonics, they will not penetrate most soft body armor.
Mine's loaded with 125 gr. Sierra Pro Hunters and a lot of Lil'Gun. Hodgdon claims it's doing 2400 fps, I suspect a bit less but haven't chronoed it yet.

That's 7.62x39 territory.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Dude270,

The subsonic match bullet will need to quickly yaw sideways to make a serious wound.

That is exactly why I want properly designed tactical sub-sonic bullet - which is mostly lacking in the market - hence my complaint!
Another consideration with heavy subsonics, they will not penetrate most soft body armor.

How many home invasions/robberies are carried out with body armor?

How many home invasions/robberies are carried out with body armor?

I couldn't tell you. I just know that body armor is becoming more and more popular and available to the public.
If I was going down the subsonic rabbit hole, I'd probably use these 194gr Lehigh bullets, as loaded by Underwood.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/300-aac-blackout-whisper-194gr-subsonic-maximum-expansion.html
Here, although if it was me, I'd sell the underwhelmed 300 AAC and replace it with a 5.56 fast twist shooting heavy frangibles or a properly setup Mossberg 930/940. That is what makes America, Merica, people doing what they want with what they want.

Gorilla 300 AAC
Dude270,

I've killed one pig and one mule deer with the Nosler 220 and it opened perfectly both times.

Nasty.
Dude270,

Having seen / dressed out several deer that were shot with subsonic heavy weight bullets from 300 B.O.'s , underwhelmed with performance would be an understatement. Yes, the deer died, but wound channels and damage was no where even close to the damage from a 44 mag, or even a .223 with hunting type bullets.
30 caliber heavyweights lack the frontal area of a 44 bullet, and, as said above, depend on yaw / tumbling instead of expansion to dump energy, and at 300 B.O. velocities don't seem to do much other than poke a hole.
The light weights, like the 110 VMax referenced above, work well at 300 BO speeds, expanding decently, but not fragmenting as much as they will at say 308 Win velocities.
Originally Posted by deflave
Dude270,

I've killed one pig and one mule deer with the Nosler 220 and it opened perfectly both times.

Nasty.

Good deal.
If I was going down the subsonic rabbit hole, I'd probably use these 194gr Lehigh bullets, as loaded by Underwood.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/300-aac-blackout-whisper-194gr-subsonic-maximum-expansion.html
three bucks a pop and out of stock. I'm sticking with a simple .45 ACP
I'm not a guru but I'd want as much power going into something trying to kill me as I could get. Have you considered the 7.62x51?
I have my PSA 300 AAC BLK pistol all setup with my new Silencer Central Banish 30 and a Holosight green dot reflex sight. So, now to re-zero with my chosen tactical (read...good for personal defense) load......only to find almost every sub-sonic loading from every manufacturer is loaded with Match type bullets?!?!? Am I missing something here?! What the heck to you get a suppressed 300 AAC for if it isn't home defense. I'm not looking to punch match grade holes at 300 meters, just putting down a threat at under 50.

COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only one listed at Midway is Speer Gold Dot LE 210 Grain and of course it's not available.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/300-blackout-190-gr-sub-x-subsonic#!/
just asking a question.... drawing on my military medic back ground...

wouldn't a good choice for that kind of duty be a good old Speer 150 FN? or the Sierra version of a 150 FN?
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/300-blackout-190-gr-sub-x-subsonic#!/

I've 200 rounds of that to try on deer this fall. In the past I've used 110 thru 130 grain for deer hunting, and those bullets have worked well. I also agree if using for personal defense, I would use supersonic loads.

I love shooting my .300 BLK suppressed with subsonic bullets. However, shooting water jugs even at close range with 220 grain 0TM bullets is no fun. The jugs don't explode they just leak from two .30 caliber holes.
A 220 match bullet at 1000 fps might as well be a field tipped arrow.

I’ve seen that Nosler makes a 220 partition for the 300BO, but haven’t seen many Nosler bullets on the market lately.

I shoot 125s out of my BO
Originally Posted by Darryle
Here, although if it was me, I'd sell the underwhelmed 300 AAC and replace it with a 5.56 fast twist shooting heavy frangibles or a properly setup Mossberg 930/940. That is what makes America, Merica, people doing what they want with what they want.

Gorilla 300 AAC

Darryle, I also have a 5.56 upper for the same pistol, so that option is already a reality. But my focus is still to build a capable CQB platform that can be used in a pinch without ears.

FYI - I did buy some Gorilla Silverback, 300 BLK 205gr, Self Defense & Hunting Subsonic Ammunition to try. Limited range time had me try just 3 rounds at 25 yards and one of those key-holed?! So, I will test the next time without my precious suppressor on as I do not want to risk damaging it. Heavier loads from other manufacturers showed no such tendency, but these Gorilla rounds appear pretty long for caliber.
I am just sticking with my SA93 AK. Much less hassle with the logistics.
© 24hourcampfire