Home
Wanting a new upper. Pros or cons for both?
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/05/22
Grendel seems more common. That said when I burn up all the factory ammo I have stashed. It will probably turn into a 6ARC
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/05/22
I have two 6.8s, like the cartridge. But given availability of components and ammo, I'd have to recommend looking at the 6.5 Grendel.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/05/22
I have had both, kept the Grendel because there was cheap blasting steel case ammo for it. Now I am on to the 350 Legend and next the 300 Ham'r.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/06/22
I have the 6.8 in an AR, and the Grendel in a bolt rifle. My Bison Armory barreled 6.8 SPC is more accurate by far than the Grendel in Howa Mini. Having said that, I shoot the Grendel more because I prefer hunting with a bolt rfile.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/06/22
I bought an 18" Bison Armory barrel, when I tried it out, I smiled.

I also have one with an ARP mower axle, it shoots good, too!
Posted By: Hastings Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/06/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have the 6.8 in an AR, and the Grendel in a bolt rifle. My Bison Armory barreled 6.8 SPC is more accurate by far than the Grendel in Howa Mini. Having said that, I shoot the Grendel more because I prefer hunting with a bolt rfile.
What bolt rifle do you have? Does it come in left hand? I've shot my neighbor's AR in 6.5 Grendel, it is impressive on tough hogs, good to 300+ yards with 120 grain bullets, and best of all low on recoil. I need a LH bolt gun for my grand daughter. After she made a perfect double lung shot with a .223 on a 189 pound 8 point this year the buck made a good 100 yard run and didn't lose a drop of blood on the ground. She is decisively left hand and left eye dominant.
My stepson hunted with my CZ 527 Chambered in 6.5 Grendel last fall with factory Hornady 123 SST ammo. I think they may have made a left handed model but I’m not sure. I’m a lefty but was lucky enough to be right eye dominant and was taught to shoot right handed. I really like that little rifle and bullet performance was excellent.

Happy Birthday!
Posted By: ldholton Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/06/22
More high BC bullets in 6.5
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/06/22
Grendel...

I own one, and have no reason for a 6.8 SPC.....
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/06/22
I have a left hand Stag in 6.8, 2 uppers, one a 20 inch barrel and just picked up a complete upper with a 16 inch barrel. Both are very accurate with the 20 being the most most accurate. Both the Grendel and 6.8 are 300-325 yard guns on medium game. There probably isn't a knat's worth of difference between them in those ranges. The 6.5 bullets have better BC's and as such would perform somewhat better over 500 yards. I rarely shoot that far.

So that said, I have a 6.8 and no need for a Grendel.
Originally Posted by Hastings
What bolt rifle do you have? Does it come in left hand? I've shot my neighbor's AR in 6.5 Grendel, it is impressive on tough hogs, good to 300+ yards with 120 grain bullets, and best of all low on recoil. I need a LH bolt gun for my grand daughter. After she made a perfect double lung shot with a .223 on a 189 pound 8 point this year the buck made a good 100 yard run and didn't lose a drop of blood on the ground. She is decisively left hand and left eye dominant.

Hastings, my 6.5 Grendel is a Howa Mini. I don't know of any LH bolt rifles chambered for the Grendel.
I really don't see any difference between the 2 cartridges, as neither one are really designed to be what I call long range ones. While the 6.5 bullets do have a better BC, and offer more choices, I'm not going to be shooting either at ranges over 300 yards on game. I've shot both a lot on paper and steel out to 400 yards, and they just start running out of steam too much for my liking when you shoot that far.

They are both good for what they were designed for, and that's a under 300 yard cartridge with no recoil, that delivers better performance than a 223. I have killed deer and coyotes with the 6.8, using the 110 grain Sierra bullet, and it performed very well. I've yet to use the Grendel on anything but paper, steel, and a crow, but plan on deer hunting with it this fall.
I am quickly becoming a 6.5 Grendel fan. After seeing the results that a family member was having with his down in the SC lowcountry on deer, pigs and coyotes I wanted to try one. I did shoot his PSA 20-inch rifle at our local range out to 300 yards, and it delivered pretty respectable groups with Hornady AMAX and Black factory ammunition (.75-1.25 @ 100 yards) and his hand load with 120 gr. NBT was just over 0.5 for 5 shots. The only modifications to the stock rifle were a Trigger Tech trigger and the gas block was adjusted.

Since I already support 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor rifles I had 6.5 bullets on the bench and small rifle primers in inventory, so I took the 6.5 Grendel plunge.

I started with a PSA 20-inch upper that I put on an RRA NM lower that was gathering dust, mounted a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 and went shooting. The gas block was adjusted, and I later put a finial polish on the chamber. Very happy with the results; still shooting factory Hornady through it and other than one groundhog and a coyote it's been punching paper.

It has led to a Howa Mini that I put into a B&C stock, bedded it with DEVCON and changed out the bottom plastic to bottom metal; it shoots rather well, and I want to deer hunt with it this fall.

The last 6.5 Grendel purchased was a LaRue complete upper w/ an 18-inch barrel that has only been test fired so far and it looks to be a well thought out and put together upper.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, I went with the 6.5 Grendel.

StarchedCover
Posted By: ldholton Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/06/22
Another thought you can make 6.5 Grendel brass a few different ways. Is there anything out there to easily form 6.8?
Posted By: Darryle Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/06/22
Better bullet selection in 6.5mm, easy choice

Either will serve your purpose though, but the Grendel will be around and have greater quantity of parts available

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/07/22
Originally Posted by ldholton
More high BC bullets in 6.5

True!

Jump to the 6mm ARC we go on to improve both Velocity & BC again. If you are looking for a large variety of factory ammo including some inexpensive steel case ammo 6mm Arc is not there, at leas not yet. Though if you are considering long distance 400 to 1000 yards for example, you may find the applicable 6mm ARC bullets speak loudly to an advantage in the field. ARC has been out there for roughly 2 years now & doing quite well despite the market conditions IMHO.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by Hastings
That can happen with any of the rounds. I've shot more than a few with 6/6.8 and Grendel that have left no blood. have shot plenty with 223 that leave lots.
Sample of one I suspect.
I know its tough to find deer that run 100 yards at times, but it can happen.

Good luck with the ongoing search though.
6.8 fan here.
Got the Ruger "Ranch" in 6.8. Deer, pigs, 'yotes and 1 turkey. Love it!
At the time I got the Ruger, nobody made any more than a 5 round mag.
So I built an AR.
It's a shooting, killing dude!
A set of RCBS "SB" dies solve the ammo problem.

They are pretty simular. From what I read, the 6.5 really shines out beyond 300 yards.
I won't (don't?) shoot that far and the 6.8 totes the mail under 300.

I gave up suggesting "which is better" long ago.
Go with what suits your fancy.
I like the 6.8.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/09/22
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
From what I read, the 6.5 really shines out beyond 300 yards.

Not to start an argument, but if I want a rifle for shooting over 300 yards, it's not going to be the Grendel. The 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC are both fine cartridges, for what they were designed for, and IMO long range use is not that. There are far better choices for shooting at long range, and my preference is to use such cartridges.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/09/22

Not to start an argument, but if I want a rifle for shooting over 300 yards, it's not going to be the Grendel. The 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC are both fine cartridges, for what they were designed for, and IMO long range use is not that. There are far better choices for shooting at long range, and my preference is to use such cartridges.
The thing is in the AR15 platform its a good longer range choice.

You can go to a 300 etc but it won't fit the 15 platform so while I agree with you, its apples to oranges.

That said I've killed deer to almost 600 pretty easily with 223 and good bullets.. its often the Indian and not the arrow.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/14/22
If you go grendel and reload try using magnum primers . I shoot 120gr sierra sp in mine. Magnum primers(cci) tightened my groups up. 300 yds under 1 1/2” with 20” psa barrel.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/14/22
Whichever you have bullets and brass for
Posted By: rost495 Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/15/22
At this point in my life I almost always start either mag or match primers. I"ve had overall better luck with them in almost every round from little to big.

IE don't be scared of trying mags for sure. FWIW YMMV
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/15/22
Started to load up my Grendal for this season....

This years choice is a 129 grain SP Hornady, using W 748 powder.. and I'll have to try to go with the mag small rifle primer and see what that yields.

mine is a bolt action Ruger Predator, 22 inch barrel.

last time I took a deer with same powder and a 140 grain SP Speer...

Think of that as a bolt action 30/30 alternative.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/16/22
748 hates the heat. But I suspect you dont' have to deal with that issue. Just FYI for others. 748 will overpressure in hot temps what was a normal load in cooler temps.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/16/22
I have Grendels and a close friend has the 6.8. They are both great. One thing I like about the 6.8 is the slight taper for unseating from the chamber. I bring it up because one of mine broke an extractor once. Reloading 6.5 for sure due to bullet selection. My friends 6.8 is a legit 1 moa rifle (SOTA upper on a PSA lower) with his loads to be fair though.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/16/22
They both serve a purpose but if you want a shorter barrel the 6.8 is IMO a better cartridge. Lots of hog killers using 11.5 to 12.5 inch barrels and suppressors and laying hogs down with the 6.8.
Posted By: 5spd Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/18/22
I did a 20" ar15 build in 6.5 grendel running Sierra 85g bullets for coyote and it smacks em down nicely.
My deer load is 120g, drops goats, mulies, whitetail right down.
Furthest on a goat was 385 yds, 1 shot kill, all deer 1 shot kills from 85yds to 275yd so far.
I got a deal on a Ruger predator American bolt gun, ar15 mag, a bit more accurate than the ar15. Last coyote with it at a tad over 400yds with the 85g jsp, flat out dropped on the spot.
So yea the 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/18/22
I have both but only use the grendel now for hunting. My hog and deer smacker is a 12" grendel psa upper with the threads cut off and a target crown added. There's really not much difference between the two until you get to 300 yards. Then the grendel is a little better. Mine is a 0.7 moa piece with eldx and a hair tighter with eldm and handloads. All the 6.5 psa uppers are guaranteed 1 moa or less. They don't advertise that but they'll make it shoot right if it won't for whatever reason.

Velocities from 11.5" and AR-Comp powder
129gr Nosler AccuBond LR
27.8gr-2276,2281,2290,2279,2284
ES-14 AVG-2288
27.9gr-2251,2290,2276,2275,2272
ES-39 AVG-2272
28gr-2262,2282,2288,2287,2276
ES-26 AVG-2279
Nosler 123gr Custon Comp.
27.8gr-2304,2304,2312,2295,2298
ES-17 AVG-2303
28gr-2310,2318,2328,2330,2298
ES-32 AVG-2316
Hornady 123gr ELD
27.9gr-2330,2326,2333,2346,2333
ES-20 AVG-2333
Hornady Black Factory Load
ES-33 AVG-2294
Think I will go with the 6.5.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/20/22
If I was not so invested in the 6.8 SPC with brass, bullets and AA2200 along with 3 rifles and 1 rifle that was stolen and is currently in the Milwaukee Police Department stolen items department awaiting the [bleep] trial.I would be deep in the 6.5 grendel. But I agree with Geno 76 that until you hit 300 yrds there is not much difference. I live in Wisconsin where a 100 yard shot on deer and under is common. But I have killed pigs in TX and Alabama at 250 plus with the 6.8. It works for me. The Grendel seems to be getting more popular and I think it has a lot to do with the Creedmoor even though they are much different calibers.

Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Think I will go with the 6.5.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/20/22
To 300 yards or so, they are practically identical for general deer hunting. I have had a 6.8 since they first came out and really enjoy the cartridge in various platforms. My sister has used my bolt 6.8 for years to take a lot of deer and likes the fact the rifle has little recoil or blast. My son used it to take his first deer this past year, which was an ideal setup and contender for a perfect youth, first deer setup.

Not bashing the 6.5G but the 6.8 has been awesome for me. I don’t expect to find 6.8 ammo at the local hardware store or WM but have not had much trouble getting ammo from various online retailers. In fact, it was easier to get deer hunting ammo for than a .223 was during the height of Covid/Political unrest period for me. It’s around, you just have to look. 18” barrel is fine but I have enjoyed a 16” more due to the handiness.

J.J. - won't argue THAT point.
If I intend to shoot beyond 300 yards, I'd probably have to grab my old .270 Win.
As a matter of fact, I'd probably move my stand or find a different bunch of deer to shoot! LOL!
Semi autos keep me shooting comfortably due to a shoulder implant. The whole reason I went to the AR was to reduce recoil.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 08/24/22
For the bullets I’ve used, and the barrel lengths I care To run in an AR, I got rid of my Grendel’s and kept the 6.8s. I had better results on deer, with regards to DRT, blood trails, and damage. I didn’t see much difference between using the Grendel or a 223, but that’s been 6-7 years ago. All anecdotal….but since there’s not a lot of statistical difference on paper, that’s what mattered to me for hunting. The 6.8 is easier to get to feed and easier on bolts, as well.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc? - 09/03/22
Question should be 6mm ARC or 6.5 Grendel IMHO. As one who would like to have more distance capability, Id give the 6.8 SPC a hard pass due to poor bullet BC options. Brass life also suffers with the 6.8 ppc as I understand. So then it comes down to 6mm ARC or 6.5 Grendel.

For the non-reloader I could see 6.5 Grendel being the current best choice of the two options. The current factory ammo choices are considerably better than what is currently offered for 6mm ARC.

As a reloader & a person that has an interest in longer range shooting 6mmARC is the clear choice. 6mm bullet choices are considerably better on the light end & the heavy higher BC bullets are considerably better / more fitting for the cartridge size.

YMMV
© 24hourcampfire