Home
Posted By: Esox357 AR 10 recommendation - 01/09/23
What AR 10 would you recommend/build? Mostly for some hunting and range work. Want to get a suppressor on it at some point.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/09/23
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ightweight-m-lok-str-2-stage-rifle6.html

Save 2% if you do an Active Junky link to PSA.

IMHO... easy and done
LMBO!
I built (assembled?) about 10 AR15's when I suddenly decided I wanted to build an AR10.
Boy! What a rude awakening!
I bought a stripped upper from Aero Precision and a stripped lower from PSA and a lower parts kit from an outfit in Florida.
The holes in the upper and lower didn't match up.
The pins in the LPK fit the lower, but not the upper.
One fiasco right after another.
Finally figured out that each AR10 maker is proprietary!
When buying AR10 parts, always ask if the parts/pieces are DPMS cut/compatible.
There is a distinct difference between an AR15 and AR10 buffer tube. 😖
Finally, after eventually getting the lower "correctly" assembled, parts for the upper became painful. What fit what?
Who's parts were DPMS cut/compatible and who's weren't?
Then, searching for parts one day, I found a completed AR10 upper in .308 for $259!
Conundrum avoided! ....and much cheaper than ordering parts and returning them! 😕

I still have my eleven pound AR10 in .308 Win.
Love it.

Just be sure that the parts you're ordering are compatible with the parts you have.

Once the military accepted the AR15, the ARMY released specific dimensions for all parts. All AR15 parts are compatible.
The military never accepted the AR10, so never issued "mil spec" for their production.
Ergo, all AR10 parts aren't compatible manufacturer to manufacturer.

"All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs!"

P.S. - not to be a stick in the mud, but if you buy all your parts and pieces from the same manufacturer, your chances of all parts fitting improves greatly. 😉
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
For building, I’d go with an Aero precision M5E1
Posted By: gsganzer Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
Buy once, cry once. POF Revolution .308 direct impingement. You'll appreciate an AR-308 that weighs less than 7lbs. They even have some lighter models, weighing less than 6 lbs.

POF Revolution
Posted By: kevinJ Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
Go aero system

Get a good barrel. Build and rock on
Posted By: Ridge_Runner Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
ordered one of these, put it on a PSA lower with a RRA NM trigger, shoots incredible
https://veriforcetactical.com/product/ar-6-5-creedmoor-longbow-upper-with-m-lok-handguard/
Posted By: hanco Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
I had a Rock River, great shooter
Posted By: scoony Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
After building 3 AR-10, I bought the new Ruger SFAR w/16” barrel. Really happy with it so far.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
Thanks guys!
Posted By: TWR Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
I had an original AR-10 from Armalite and that cured me of wanting one. I’ve been eyeing the new Ruger but I’m still kinda wary. Figure that’s probably the way I’d go if I ever want another one.
Posted By: ClayBelt Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
I’m having decent luck with an Aero M5 upper receiver and lower, A2 buttstock, 15” handguard, and a 20” Faxon Big Gunner barrel paired up with iron sights and a rifle length gas system. Does well enough, but I’ll admit my handguard feels a bit heavy and throws off the balance a tad.

The big do’s I’d say are:
-Do a rifle length gas system if possible, it really helps with the feel of these rifles
-use an adjustable gas block
-make sure your upper and lower receivers are from the same manufacturer. As noted above, they were not cross compatible like the AR15
-don’t buy an Aero/Ballistic Advantage barrel unless you plan to enlarge the gas port. The one drilled is too small for the 308 cartridge.
-sweet spot is probably going to be 18” if you can find that length barrel, as 16” will not be fully burnt by the time it hits your suppressor and with a can 20” will probably be too unwieldy.
Thanks. Yes 18" barrel for sure
Posted By: JamesJr Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
I kind of like my Armalite. Maybe not the lightest, or the sexiest looking, but it works for me.
No mistake, my Armalite worked but was too heavy. It was a 16” 308 and was the best use I ever found for Varget but dang that thing got heavier every time I picked it up.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I kind of like my Armalite. Maybe not the lightest, or the sexiest looking, but it works for me.

The op is asking about building. Did you build your Armalite? I like my Armalite as well, but I didn’t build it. If we want to talk factory rifles, I prefer my S&W Performance center more. It came equipped with everything I wanted. However I added the PRS stock, K2s grip, and RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger. The rifle always shoots sub Moa 10 shot groups. The 5R barrel probably helps with that
He said recommend/build, given the weight issue and the non compatible parts, I wouldn't build one, I'd buy one.
Originally Posted by TWR
He said recommend/build, given the weight issue and the non compatible parts, I wouldn't build one, I'd buy one.
That’s the route I went. At the time, it seemed more logical. However, I have some friends that have built some nice accurate rifles, using Aero receivers and BA barrels. I’d be tempted to go that route, but like you say, they are heavy. I rarely shoot either of my ar10 rifles, but prefer the Performance center over the Armalite, mainly because it’s chambered in 6.5 man bun
Posted By: 444afic Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
I had both a DPMS and a PSA. The PSA had reliability issues. Dunno if it was just my particular rifle, as I've had good luck with other PSA guns/parts. The DPMS needed a heavier buffer but was fine after that. I preferred the 16" barrel on the DPMS. They both were too heavy, so I sold them. If I were ever to get back into the large-frame AR platform, I would definitely want one of the lighter weight renditions.
Posted By: HickoryNut Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/10/23
I just picked up a POF Rogue today .308 weighing in @ 5.9lbs naked. I couldn’t have assembled one like it for what I paid.

I had a PSA AR10 in 6.5 creedmore 20” barrel and hated that heavy joker. Had issues and sent it back. They put another bolt in it and it worked flawlessly after.

I actually traded it straight up for a 1987-88 Winchester 70 featherweight in 270. I was glad to get rid of that anchor.
That POF looks good. Does LMT still make uppers/lowers for AR 10s? Havent seen them around in a while? Aero sounds ideal for the build. PSA has been hit or miss on some of their items.
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/11/23
Originally Posted by Esox357
That POF looks good. Does LMT still make uppers/lowers for AR 10s? Havent seen them around in a while? Aero sounds ideal for the build. PSA has been hit or miss on some of their items.

Still listed on their website, but hard to find.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/11/23
Good to know
Posted By: MarkWV Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/12/23
I’ve never had one issue with my LR-308. Yes it has some weight but I’ve never worried about it going bang. The LR-308 may be a thing of the past I’m just glad I got those cheap spare parts when Remington cleared house.
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/17/23
I have a Daniel Defense dd5v1 that is a tank and weighs as much as one. Also have a Colt M.A.R.C in 6.5 creed, it stays in the safe.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by Showdog75
I have a Daniel Defense dd5v1 that is a tank and weighs as much as one. Also have a Colt M.A.R.C in 6.5 creed, it stays in the safe.

Take a look at the POF offerings. Very quality built rifle with great accuracy. Not cheap, but where else can you start with a sub 6- 7 pound gun?

Buy once, cry once.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/18/23
POF and or a build seem like a good way to go about it. Thinking a 6 5 cm or 308.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/18/23
I just handled the new Ruger SFAR (Small Frame AR) in 308. I would give it a look.
Haven't seen them in my area but ill keep an eye out. I notice most manufacturered ARs have 16.5 inch barrels or 20. Not seeing many with 18".
Who has best prices on POF?
I have an LR-308 16” that’s been a good reliable gun for me. Several hundred rounds through it so it hasn’t been tested hard. I’ve only put 168gr Sierra BTHP handloads through it. Probably around 1.5” groups. Nothing special but perfectly fine for most any use I’ll need it for. I bought the gun at Walmart about 10 years ago when they were selling AR’s and paid about $900 for it. Wish it was a couple pounds lighter but it’s not.
Posted By: HickoryNut Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/19/23
I ordered my Rogue from Tombstone Tactical for $1477 out the door but I don’t see that deal anymore. Look on gun.deals they have a live search and sort by price.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/19/23
I'm surprised more of you don't have an AR10 or 2. No pics in this thread either.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by Esox357
Who has best prices on POF?

I found my POF Revolution on gunbroker with a dealer local (Dallas area). I then went and bought it in person. They had a bunch of Revolutions in 6.5 and .308 I asked them if they carried any of the other POF offerings and they said they only carry the Revolution. They felt it was the best buy with the best features out of all the POF offerings. They were really big on POF Revolutions with Trijicon thermals for hog hunting.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/19/23
Thanks guys!
This thread needs more pictures. Show your wonderful AR 10 AR 308'S.. How do those wonderful rifles shoot?
Posted By: ClayBelt Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/19/23
Full disclaimer, I have irons on mine and usually only shoot M80 ball through it. Does about 2" at 100 yards, longest we've got at my range. Definitely a case of rifle outshooting user.
Posted By: HeavyDove Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/19/23
Welcome to the world of NO STANDARD SPECS in the AR 10 WORLD.

Everybody including Ruger does their own dance with this platform.

Including port size, port location, gas tube length, buffer spring strength, buffer weight,.....yeah all of that and sometimes more or less depending on the manufacturer.
Remember this, if you start with said maker YOU STICK WITH THAT MAKER if you want 100% ease and success. You will have some parts fitting and getting awfully close from one company to the next and working OK. You just have to be prepared to test it all and make sure you have spare parts and you will be good. I learned all this when I put together two PSA G3's into .308 win.

Most company's seem to loosely follow the DPMS pattern up to a point. some closer than others which is a "kind of standard". Armalite paved the way but DPMS made it more reachable for gun nuts.
Alot of them do not know what they are doing since there is no standard, so they look over the shoulder of another manufacturer and copy what they have....including the bugs.
Ruger, PSA, POF, ....so on and so on all do this.

The biggest faults they all share are...port location, gas tube length, port size, buffer spring weight, and buffer weight. They will use a common AR15 buffer spring and standard buffer which is retarded its a full .308 win for gods sake not a small cartridge. Look around on the net and you will see what I am writing about.

I suggest a SpringCo red/orange buffer spring and an Expo Arms heavy buffer.
It will calm ejection and you wont need the adj. block unless you run a suppressor.

The 2 PSA G3's in .308 have 18" barrels.
BOTH run fantastic, out to 400 yards 3" groups with hand loads 168 grn ballistic tips which is a farting around load. I use that load for multiple .308's including bolt actions.
That being said I like them both. They run well. 4'o clock ejection and 5 feet away. I took off the adjustable gas blocks. The blocks worked but it was just once piece I did not want to have to worry about locking up or just crapping out. So I put a regular gas block on both.
I have hunted with both and the last thing you want is that stupid adjustable block not working on a hunt.

Dont get me wrong I have an FN FAL the adjustable gas block is the tits. Its big and field adjustable with a .308 shell. This cheap azz small set screws and chit everybody puts out is garbage. Ruger did it ok to a point but a real block would be like the FAL.

Designed CORRECTLY from the get go it would be great but NO, little allen screws and crap like that shows up.

Do I like them AR 10's, heck yeah, they are fun and and enjoyable to shoot.

Best
HeavyDove
Originally Posted by ClayBelt
Full disclaimer, I have irons on mine and usually only shoot M80 ball through it. Does about 2" at 100 yards, longest we've got at my range. Definitely a case of rifle outshooting user.

That is very acceptable for ball ammo and irons. One of my buddies shoots one of the Aero precision builds I was talking about earlier and in our AR shoots, he will shoot around 1 1/2" 10 shot groups. Not always centered on the x ring though. He's an older airborne Ranger and knows how to shoot. When he's dialed in, he's a great competitor. One rifle I'd stay away from is the Savage AR10 or MSR 10 as they call it. One of my buddies here has one and it is constantly jamming up on him. Accuracy/precision is very good, but if a rifle is constantly a struggle to keep running, I have no use for it. He has another AR10 AR308 rifle that runs much better, but does not shoot as well. I can't remember the make of that one. It only shoots about 2" 5 shot groups at 100 with Federal gold medal match. The MSR savage shoots 3/4-1" 5 shot groups.. They put a good barrel on that one, but the operating system sucks..
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/19/23
Anyone have any opinions on the Sig Sauer 716 patrol rifle? I believe there's the gen 1 patrol, then gen 2, and finally the Tread series. The 716 first gen patrol weighs around 9.5 lbs bare and is piston operated with adjustable gas flows
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
Welcome to the world of NO STANDARD SPECS in the AR 10 WORLD.

Everybody including Ruger does their own dance with this platform.

Including port size, port location, gas tube length, buffer spring strength, buffer weight,.....yeah all of that and sometimes more or less depending on the manufacturer.
Remember this, if you start with said maker YOU STICK WITH THAT MAKER if you want 100% ease and success. You will have some parts fitting and getting awfully close from one company to the next and working OK. You just have to be prepared to test it all and make sure you have spare parts and you will be good. I learned all this when I put together two PSA G3's into .308 win.

Most company's seem to loosely follow the DPMS pattern up to a point. some closer than others which is a "kind of standard". Armalite paved the way but DPMS made it more reachable for gun nuts.
Alot of them do not know what they are doing since there is no standard, so they look over the shoulder of another manufacturer and copy what they have....including the bugs.
Ruger, PSA, POF, ....so on and so on all do this.

The biggest faults they all share are...port location, gas tube length, port size, buffer spring weight, and buffer weight. They will use a common AR15 buffer spring and standard buffer which is retarded its a full .308 win for gods sake not a small cartridge. Look around on the net and you will see what I am writing about.

I suggest a SpringCo red/orange buffer spring and an Expo Arms heavy buffer.
It will calm ejection and you wont need the adj. block unless you run a suppressor.

The 2 PSA G3's in .308 have 18" barrels.
BOTH run fantastic, out to 400 yards 3" groups with hand loads 168 grn ballistic tips which is a farting around load. I use that load for multiple .308's including bolt actions.
That being said I like them both. They run well. 4'o clock ejection and 5 feet away. I took off the adjustable gas blocks. The blocks worked but it was just once piece I did not want to have to worry about locking up or just crapping out. So I put a regular gas block on both.
I have hunted with both and the last thing you want is that stupid adjustable block not working on a hunt.

Dont get me wrong I have an FN FAL the adjustable gas block is the tits. Its big and field adjustable with a .308 shell. This cheap azz small set screws and chit everybody puts out is garbage. Ruger did it ok to a point but a real block would be like the FAL.

Designed CORRECTLY from the get go it would be great but NO, little allen screws and crap like that shows up.

Do I like them AR 10's, heck yeah, they are fun and and enjoyable to shoot.

Best
HeavyDove

Good post. I don't have much use for an AGB, but a lot of guys here love them. I don't run suppressed or switch things around on my rifles though. Once I put them together and they work well, I leave them alone. Low profile gas blocks have always worked flawlessly, so why mess with a good thing? The AR10 that I really like is my S&W M&P 10 Performance Center 6.5 Creedmoor. Sounds like it shoots about like your 308, maybe a bit better. Always sub moa 10 shot groups at 100 and at 500:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Dropped one out of the X-ring, but that was a horrible day for shooting. During the fires we were having, so the smoke was a hindrance:
Posted By: ClayBelt Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/19/23
Here's a photo of mine as well since someone asked.

[Linked Image from media.discordapp.net]
Posted By: Distridr Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/21/23
Haven't really wrung it out yet, but my 20" Ruger SFAR is everything it's supposed to be.

At 80 or so rounds it been 100% reliable and indications are that it won't be hard to find / load sub MOA ammo.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/21/23
That Ruger SFAR sounds like a nice option.
Posted By: ldholton Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/21/23
maybe I missed it but I didn't see a Sig 716 listed, I think they are top notch.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/21/23
I asked about the Sig 716 at the bottom of page 2 and didn't really get a response. They've had a few major revisions. Some call it generations. Which one are you familiar with?
Posted By: IA_fog Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/22/23
So,,,,,,how bout someone making a list for us to go by when buying stuff to build our own
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/22/23
Originally Posted by IA_fog
So,,,,,,how bout someone making a list for us to go by when buying stuff to build our own
See post 18030089. It's not a list, but a good explanation of the AR-10 World "Standards". Try to stick to the same patterns (Armalite/DPMS/...) and, if possible, same manufacturers.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/22/23
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Originally Posted by IA_fog
See post 18030089. It's not a list, but a good explanation of the AR-10 World "Standards". Try to stick to the same patterns (Armalite/DPMS/...) and, if possible, same manufacturers.

Who needs a list?

Try this

You guys really want to dive in head first. Go for it.. I've posted this many times before. I hope you like reading..
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/23/23
I’m liking the SFAR.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/gDMYxYr[/img]
Posted By: gsganzer Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/23/23
The Ruger SFAR looks like they've followed the POF idea of enlarging only the parts of the AR platform that are necessary for the larger .308 cartridge. I wonder if Ruger bought the patent rights from POF to make their own?
Posted By: HeavyDove Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/24/23
Light and ease of carry has its limitations. Ruger created a range toy. Carry it to your deer blind rifle, .... Not a combat rifle.
10,000 rounds later....of full power hunting loads....now lets look at that SFAR.

It might be ok....might.

.....FN FAL.....nudges your elbow...

Longevity is the name of the game for heavy use AR10's.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/24/23
Handled several SFAR'S I Like the way they feel and their weight. The last Ruger I bought was a Ruger Americam Predator in 6mm Creed they short throated it and it went back to be fixed by warrantee, they did fix it. Just 1 dummy round cycled thru it by a QC would have told them there was a problem. They don't do any quality control anymore so I don't buy anymore NEW Rugers. Just got done doing a build with an Aero upper and lower , 20 " 1 in 10 twist so far it's good but not as light as I would like...mb
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
Light and ease of carry has its limitations. Ruger created a range toy. Carry it to your deer blind rifle, .... Not a combat rifle.
10,000 rounds later....of full power hunting loads....now lets look at that SFAR.

It might be ok....might.

.....FN FAL.....nudges your elbow...

Longevity is the name of the game for heavy use AR10's.

Agreed. Durability/longevity to be determined on the SFAR. Not sure if my usage will be the guinea pig for that.

Packed the SFAR around this past weekend for 6-7 miles after hogs. Not too bad but not exactly fun. Much better than my AR-10 (Aero Precision). It seemed to check the boxes for my pig pursuits and so far liking it. Certainly won't experience on my behalf the round count demand as a combat rifle.

Found this video pretty interesting...

Posted By: BwanaCat Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/25/23
Firing 10,000 full power hunting rounds is a lot of wear and tear on any AR10 platform not to mention the cost (assuming Uncle Sugar isn't footing the bill). Never mind store bought ammo cost as even handloading 308 Win rounds today is expensive for most guys. The majority of AR10s on this site might see 500-1000 rounds in a year before being sold off or made a safe queen. Btw, no AR10 is Soldier proof.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/26/23
Or maybe the adjustable nature of the gas plug on the SFAR will lead to better control and management of gasses?
I’m liking my new SFAR so far. We’ll see how things go!
Posted By: boatboy Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/26/23
Tag
Posted By: scoony Re: AR 10 recommendation - 01/26/23
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I’m liking my new SFAR so far. We’ll see how things go!

I am still liking my SFAR also, but have more testing to do. Need to see if I can come up with a 155 gr. load that shoots as well as the American Gunner ammo, but with a faster velocity.
© 24hourcampfire