Home
Posted By: Hairtrigger Now I am interested - 11/12/23
A couple weeks ago I posted on shooting a buddy’s AR and some scope issues
Now it seems I could use one…fun plus a decent woodchuck rifle out to 250 yards or so. I have been looking around and have seen pics of the Remington VTR triangular barrel. Kinda cool to me but it seems they are not often found?
I am attracted to odd stuff anyway

Any experience with the VTR barrel on an AR?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Now I am interested - 11/12/23
Bad idea for a multitude of reasons. Just buy a heavy-barrel model like a Rock River and go shoot stuff.
Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Now I am interested - 11/12/23
I want more info! I have been around 3 of the triangular barreled VTR bolt rifles and they were Remington 700 accurate
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Now I am interested - 11/12/23
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
I want more info! I have been around 3 of the triangular barreled VTR bolt rifles and they were Remington 700 accurate

Might be tough to find a gas block, unless there is a .750" round gas journal on the barrel.

Well then you’re in the right place, the World Wide Web! Go forth and search….
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Might be tough to find a gas block, unless there is a .750" round gas journal on the barrel.

And you got to rethread a VTR barrel to fit a standard AR barrel extension.
Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Now I am interested - 11/12/23
Remington made them. I just need to find one!

Here is a link for pics!
https://www.gunlistings.org/ohio-gun-classifieds/dayton__springfield/all/69131/remington_r15
See, you already know more than the rest of us. Again, get out there and find yourself one.
Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Now I am interested - 11/13/23
I was hoping someone here could talk me out of this
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: Now I am interested - 11/13/23

Some members have tried, but it seems you are dead set on your triangular fetish. If you manage to talk yourself out of it, get a decent, affordable SPR/Semi-Bull barrel made by a reputable manufacturer and shoot the crap out your targets.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Now I am interested - 11/13/23

PM Stick.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Now I am interested - 11/20/23
Just don't. Often times, unique = huge pita.
Remington made them. I just need to find one!

Here is a link for pics!
https://www.gunlistings.org/ohio-gun-classifieds/dayton__springfield/all/69131/remington_r15

Why don't you just buy that one?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Now I am interested - 11/20/23

This is for damn sure not the place for that. However, you don't need a weird triangular shaped barreled ar to shoot well. I have some AR's that shoot better than your Rem 700's too. Just sayin.
Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Now I am interested - 11/22/23
25 years ago I had a Ruger Mini built to shoot better than most AR rifles
Fun project that embarrasses AR-15s
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Now I am interested - 11/22/23
25 years ago I had a Ruger Mini built to shoot better than most AR rifles
Fun project that embarrasses AR-15s

I highly doubt it, but nice try.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Now I am interested - 11/22/23
I bought a remington r15 A couple of months ago. It does not have the triangular barrel. I'm not really a gas gun guy. I love my bolt guns. particularly Tikka T3X's and Sako. But A friend asked If I would buy it for $500. I told him sure, but if it didn't shoot good I was gonna bring it back.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I put an Arken EPL-4 4-16x44 on it and took it to the range. I brought 6 different box's of ammo with me. 55gr, 62gr, 64gr 69gr, and two different box's of 77gr bullets. Nosler HBPT and Sierra matchking competition. I only shot 3 shot groups. I didn't want to waist a bunch of ammo. I just wanted to get an idea of what it likes to shoot. All ammo was factory. no reloads.

the first group was about 1.25" @ 100yds I thought not bad. second group opened up a little. Next group was just under an inch. Next .75 inches. I thought if this gun will shoot MOA I'm gonna keep it. Then I shot the 77gr Sierra MK's. That's the one it likes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I know it's only one 3 shot group, but I'm keeping it. I got a bunch or raccoons at my feeder that need to be thinned out. This should be just right for that duty. Be a lot of fun too.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Now I am interested - 11/22/23
[bleep]
Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Now I am interested - 11/22/23
I still want one with the odd triangular barrel!
So far no one has had first-hand experience of why I should not buy one and I appreciate that
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Now I am interested - 11/23/23
I'd get a hexagonal barrel. Twice as good as the triangular one.
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: Now I am interested - 11/23/23
Originally Posted by auk1124
I'd get a hexagonal barrel. Twice as good as the triangular one.

A few more iterations will take you to the round one, which is widely available.
© 24hourcampfire