Home
Recommendation, don't want to break the bank, $250-300ish. Would love a 1moa, 16" barrel, mid length gas, 1-7 or 8 for Calif. deer hunting (copper) 55-70g
I've got a Daniel defense that will do this right now but putting together another ar for my wife. Thanks
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/19/24
The go-to for that kind of price is White Oak.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by Tyrone
On their website right now, is this what I should be looking at?https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/16-spr-barrel-1.html
Sorry don't know how to send a live link.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/19/24
PSA barrel shot out or won't shoot? Just curious.
Originally Posted by rost495
PSA barrel shot out or won't shoot? Just curious.
Brand new, I believe it just won't shoot, it's one of their cheap Freedom barrels and I've been shooting Daniel Defense and PSA side-by-side (both 1-7, 16" mid) as I'm working up loads and so far nothing is working in the PSA. Best group 2" and kind of scattered about with light loads, as I go higher load it drastically opens up and moves up and to the right.
Get ready to break that sucker loose. I've taken off 5 or so PSA barrels, and they are TIGHT. Almost looks like they put some kind of thread locker on em, instead of anti-seize.
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
Get ready to break that sucker loose. I've taken off 5 or so PSA barrels, and they are TIGHT. Almost looks like they put some kind of thread locker on em, instead of anti-seize.
I'm almost thinking about buying a whole new upper and making the PSA a plinker. The PSA Picatinny rail seems to be slightly undersized also. Don't know how to properly measure it but it's .005" narrower than other pic rails I measure and all my scope rings and cantilever mounts that are snug on the Daniel defense before tightening are very loose on the PSA rail.
Posted By: dla Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by Dons99
I'm almost thinking about buying a whole new upper and making the PSA a plinker. The PSA Picatinny rail seems to be slightly undersized also. Don't know how to properly measure it but it's .005" narrower than other pic rails I measure and all my scope rings and cantilever mounts that are snug on the Daniel defense before tightening are very loose on the PSA rail.
I wonder if the scope is moving.

I guess I would expect a bad barrel to create a radial dispersion - not drifting up and to the right with heavier loads.

Just a thought.
Posted By: Teal Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/19/24
These

Bought one about 15 years ago, maybe 1400 rounds down it. I don't shoot it much but it's never made me cuss.
Originally Posted by dla

I guess I would expect a bad barrel to create a radial dispersion - not drifting up and to the right with heavier loads.

Just a thought.
Good thought because it was moving, I bought a Vortex cantilever that solved the problem. Before with a Nikon that basically just compresses on the Picatinny rail it was all over the place.
Posted By: Rapier Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/19/24
Might check SOTA Arms, they got a sale going on barrels for under $100 at the moment, US made with US steel. A 5.56 SS 16" with 1-9 twist at under $100. While shopping they have all the parts you will need. Good folks to deal with and decent stuff. They are the #1 competitor for Model 1 sales at big shows, like Tulsa.
On their website right now, is this what I should be looking at?https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/16-spr-barrel-1.html
That's what I'd look at.
Those PSA nitride barrels aren't real great. Those WO barrels will be noticeably more accurate in the field.

You may want to hit the upper with a propane torch or a heat gun if it has locktite on it. Just get it smoking.
I guess it just depends on who torqued it down. I've done barrel swaps on a couple PSA 5.56 uppers that didn't include any drama.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by dla

Just a thought.
Thats exactly what a load does. Moves up and over as it passes nodes. I'm not sure always to the right but my memory says so.

Audette shows that consistently as a development method for years now.

That said it doesn't change the fact its a 2 moa barrel.

I'd contact them and see if they would replace it. Even the best barrel folks make a bad one now and then. Although 2 moa isn't really that bad, its not anything I"d be happy with either.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/20/24
Well if anybody's interested I pulled the upper apart last night and the barrel almost fell into my lap. Barrel extension to receiver bore clearance would be .002" "IF" the bore were round but it's not, .005" out of round and if thats not bad enough the barrel extension outside diameter has .001" taper over the 1" length. You can actually move the barrel around inside the bore.

Anybody know if the foundries do the machine work before receivers are sold or are they sent out raw and gun makers do the machine work?

Anyways sent in a return request this morning and I'll see what they say...
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/20/24
You could "bed" the barrel in the receiver with some green Loctite 294
You could "bed" the barrel in the receiver with some green Loctite 294
Yeah if PSA won't work with me that was my thought. I have some Loctite 680 retaining compound that I think would work.
Be hard pressed to think PSA would not replace that instantly.
You can bed it in 640. Would be almost impossible to ever get it apart again though.
Anybody know if the foundries do the machine work before receivers are sold to gun makers or are they sent out raw and gun makers do the machine work?
??
From what I know, the "foundries" CNC and often stamp and anodize to whatever you want. So the "machining" on the upper and lowers is already done when the various parts assemblers like PSA etc... have nothing to do with that.

Now and then one gets out of spec. Pin holes on my colt lower in the 90s were out of spec... You never know.

The extensions that are screwed onto the barrel are bought machined basically.

Some places make their own barrels. Lots buy blanks. They buy the extensions. Then then do the tiny bit of machine work to simply assemble the parts and chamber the barrels.

Its done production line so there are going to be bad issues get out now and then.

The one thing I refuse to do anymore. I"ve done it years ago, is bitch on a public forum. I wouldn't have given that data out just yet that you did. I would have talked with PSA before ever even starting this thread, as the upper did not make me happy. Let them have a chance to correct the issue or replace a lemon.

Anyway thats my take.

Glad you probably figured it out. Assuming PSA will make it all right. BUT we want to hear their take and what they do for you. Then I would have spilled the story and the measurements.

I"m just impressed we still have people that can use a micrometer softly enough to get accurate really tight readings. Thats another art thats going away quickly. Dial calipers are easy and sloppy but even they are going digital much less the inaccuracies they give.
Rost thank you for the information and your points are well taken also. Thread wasn't started to bash PSA, just looking for ideas and or solution. I love what PSA stands for and I will definitely give them props if they take care of this. With that being said I don't think it's necessarily wrong to let people know that their QC is maybe not what it should be whether they make this right or not.
Roost thank you for the information and your points are well taken also. Thread wasn't started to bash PSA, just looking for ideas and or solution. I love what PSA stands for and I will definitely give them props if they take care of this. With that being said I don't think it's necessarily wrong to let people know that their QC is maybe not what it should be whether they make this right or not.
I agree but after the fact. I know of NO QC that is 100% perfect.

I do know one person that was 100% perfect. And they nailed him to a tree.

Point is, let em do their thing first, QC is tied hand in hand with warranty.

So you are running a QD mount? As long as it's tight on that rifle, it's a non issue. If it's loose, that is detrimental to accuracy. You are just wasting ammo. As for barrels, most barrels will shoot 1 moa for 3 shots. You didn't say if you are shooting 3, 5 or 10 shot groups. My girlfriends new Aero Precision 16" shoots into moa for 5 shots consistently. That one is running a factory Ballistic Advantage barrel. Nothing too fancy..
Those PSA nitride barrels aren't real great. Those WO barrels will be noticeably more accurate in the field.

You may want to hit the upper with a propane torch or a heat gun if it has locktite on it. Just get it smoking.

He's building this rifle for his wife, I believe. That is a heavy barrel at 2.3 pounds. He should be able to find a great shooting lighter weight barrel, if weight is a concern.
Originally Posted by dla

Just a thought.
Thats exactly what a load does. Moves up and over as it passes nodes. I'm not sure always to the right but my memory says so.

Audette shows that consistently as a development method for years now.

That said it doesn't change the fact its a 2 moa barrel.

I'd contact them and see if they would replace it. Even the best barrel folks make a bad one now and then. Although 2 moa isn't really that bad, its not anything I"d be happy with either.

I've seen that many times before too. Some are worse than others. My Noveske is real bad about that, but I always figured it was because of the funky 3 groove rifling, or whatever weird thing it uses. I'm also wondering if it depends on right hand or left hand twist, as to where at the group goes?

I'd also send the barrel back, if it's that loose in the receiver. If/when he receives the new barrel, lets hope the receiver is not oversized and that one fits sloppy as well. In that case, I'd use green loctite to bed it as well.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/20/24
Loose receiver seemed to be standard equipment 20 years ago.

I'd bed it and forget it.
Roost thank you for the information and your points are well taken also. Thread wasn't started to bash PSA, just looking for ideas and or solution. I love what PSA stands for and I will definitely give them props if they take care of this. With that being said I don't think it's necessarily wrong to let people know that their QC is maybe not what it should be whether they make this right or not.
I agree but after the fact. I know of NO QC that is 100% perfect.

I do know one person that was 100% perfect. And they nailed him to a tree.

Point is, let em do their thing first, QC is tied hand in hand with warranty.
^^Can't argue with any of that, thanks again!
Loose receiver seemed to be standard equipment 20 years ago.

I'd bed it and forget it.

Yeah, a lot of guys would use stainless shims too. If they were too bad.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
So you are running a QD mount? As long as it's tight on that rifle, it's a non issue. If it's loose, that is detrimental to accuracy. You are just wasting ammo. As for barrels, most barrels will shoot 1 moa for 3 shots. You didn't say if you are shooting 3, 5 or 10 shot groups. My girlfriends new Aero Precision 16" shoots into moa for 5 shots consistently. That one is running a factory Ballistic Advantage barrel. Nothing too fancy..
Not running a QD mount. First time out I had these Nikon P-Series rings on and for lack of a better term they just kind of squeeze together to lock on the Picatinny. After groups being erratic I figured these were moving around so I bought the Vortex cantilever and as you can see it has a separate plate that is free to move and tighten against the Picatinny unlike the Nikon. It did get better as at least the groups would stay on paper L O L.
Anyways shooting five shot groups because these friggin Hammer and Barnes bullets are expensive. Shooting Daniel Defense at the same time which is same as PSA, 16" mid, 1-7 and getting slightly under 1 inch groups with same ammo.
Sent them an email this morning and they are very responsive. Just got another email and want me to explain in detail what the problem is and they will get back to me within seven days.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Not running a QD mount. First time out I had these Nikon P-Series rings on and for lack of a better term they just kind of squeeze together to lock on the Picatinny. After groups being erratic I figured these were moving around so I bought the Vortex cantilever and as you can see it has a separate plate that is free to move and tighten against the Picatinny unlike the Nikon. It did get better as at least the groups would stay on paper L O L.
Anyways shooting five shot groups because these friggin Hammer and Barnes bullets are expensive. Shooting Daniel Defense at the same time which is same as PSA, 16" mid, 1-7 and getting slightly under 1 inch groups with same ammo.
Sent them an email this morning and they are very responsive. Just got another email and want me to explain in detail what the problem is and they will get back to me within seven days.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gotcha. Yeah, I'd toss that Nikon mount. I'm hoping they send you a good barrel. Bed it to the receiver using green loctite, and it shoots as well as your DD. I know my girlfriend is very happy with her Aero Precision. She shoots hers a lot at 100 yards, then she goes to the 400 yard range with me on occasion. She's funny because after we get done shooting, she says she can't believe the guys shooting next to us were having a hard time hitting the steel yote that is set at 400 yards. I just plink with her, as she's still just learning and I don't want to intimidate her on her shooting. She does great though. A little slow at getting on the targets, but you just have to learn to have patience.

When I want to do serious shooting, I shoot with my buddy that is on the local SWAT team. He's a better longrange shooter, but he's severely limited in what he uses on the force. Old Remington 700's with old Leupold scopes. He hates them, but uses them nonetheless. It was sad the other day though, as he was shooting his cheap azzed RAR with a Burris FFII 3-9x40 better than he was shooting his SWAT rifles. Shaking head here.

Hopefully you get a good barrel though!!! I'm sure your wife will appreciate it when she can shoot as well as you do with her rifle. Or at least let her think she's shooting as well as you do. Hint...
BSA, thanks for the info and advice, I'd probably be that guy that your girlfriends shaking her head at. Never shot at 400 and not sure if any of my equipment is up to the task along with my eyesight.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/21/24
You need to read up on the Audette ladder testing method. Its all I run ever for load work unless I have an educated guess and load 3 and shoot em and they are happy. 1 round at increasing increments. Pick the middle of the highest node and load away. Wins matches among other things.

Of course with your issues you won't really show a clear node so to speak.
You need to read up on the Audette ladder testing method. Its all I run ever for load work unless I have an educated guess and load 3 and shoot em and they are happy. 1 round at increasing increments. Pick the middle of the highest node and load away. Wins matches among other things.

Of course with your issues you won't really show a clear node so to speak.

It's probably hard to show a good clear node with a sick rifle. Sporadic results are like throwing a monkey wrench into the mix. It would be like trying to understand biden!!!
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/21/24
"You need to read up on the Audette ladder testing method. Its all I run ever for load work unless I have an educated guess and load 3 and shoot em and they are happy. 1 round at increasing increments. Pick the middle of the highest node and load away. Wins matches among other things.
Of course with your issues you won't really show a clear node so to speak."

That's something I will definitely do, tired of pizzin away money...
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/21/24
This is the one I want. I saw another 'fire member talking about his and he sounded very happy with it. They make it in a 16" version as well.
kwg
https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/...-length-ar-15-barrel-premium-series.html
Originally Posted by kwg020
This is the one I want. I saw another 'fire member talking about his and he sounded very happy with it. They make it in a 16" version as well.
kwg
https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/...-length-ar-15-barrel-premium-series.html
As far as I know they have a good reputation, and looking at their site a lot of good options also, thanks
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/21/24
Picatinny should be .830"-.835" wide.
Picatinny should be .830"-.835" wide.
No comment [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/22/24
Those big fat aluminum base/ring combos need BIG screws, which they don't have, that can cam down hard... if its the ones with the slot cut and you just try to pinch it tight. Might be the mount is faulty not the upper.
Posted By: badwolf Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/22/24
Check out larue barrels , they're in your price range.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/23/24
White Oak( Eeny) Rainier Arms (Meeny) Ballistic Advantage (Miny) Larue (Moe)
Anyone have thoughts on the BA Hanson barrel? PSA offers that and is in stock.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/23/24
Have experience with the first and last. Would take the first hands down all day long if those were my choices.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 02/23/24
Have experience with the first and last. Would take the first hands down all day long if those were my choices.
Thank you sir, don't know you but your opinion is always well respected and deservedly so.
I missed your price range but I believe X-Caliber may have some in stock AR barrels. You may look there if interested.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 04/01/24
Be hard pressed to think PSA would not replace that instantly.
You can bed it in 640. Would be almost impossible to ever get it apart again though.
You were absolutely right, just received this email. Props to PSA!

"The following repairs were completed on your Palmetto State Armory product:
Investigated issue of accuracy, found upper receiver to be out of spec. Replaced receiver, honed and polished chamber and verified gas port was to spec. Assembled and insured all components were secured. Test fired for accuracy (passed). Cleaned and oiled."
So what is their acceptance standard for accuracy?

If I remember right the army says 4 MOA on an M-16 is OK.

Good that they recognized a problem with the upper though.
PSA is a mass seller, so they probably sell more than most other places put together, so an occasional issue is not unexpected if you deal with them long enough.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

PSA is a mass seller, so they probably sell more than most other places put together, so an occasional issue is not unexpected if you deal with them long enough.

MM
Don't know what their standard of accuracy is but at least with a good/in spec upper I have something to work with.

MM
Don't know what their standard of accuracy is but at least with a good/in spec upper I have something to work with.

The only thing that concerns me, is you said the barrel or extension was out of "round" by .005". If I remember correctly. It sounds like they are using the same barrel, or did not say they are replacing the barrel. I'm like MM, and wondering what their accuracy requirements/standards are. Keep us posted, and let us know how it shoots, when you get it back. If the accuracy is still not what you are expecting, buy a WOA barrel, and don't look back..

MM

The only thing that concerns me, is you said the barrel or extension was out of "round" by .005". If I remember correctly. It sounds like they are using the same barrel, or did not say they are replacing the barrel. I'm like MM, and wondering what their accuracy requirements/standards are. Keep us posted, and let us know how it shoots, when you get it back. If the accuracy is still not what you are expecting, buy a WOA barrel, and don't look back..
The receiver bore was oversize and OOR (they replaced), extension had .001" taper but I can bed if that proves to be a problem.

MM

The receiver bore was oversize and OOR (they replaced), extension had .001" taper but I can bed if that proves to be a problem.

Gotcha. Shoot it, and see how it does. Hopefully it shoots more to your satisfaction now..
Posted By: rost495 Re: Replacing 5.56 PSA barrel - 04/02/24
That won't be a problem.
© 24hourcampfire