Home
After a year and a half of planning and se4ven months of actual build time the 458 Socom upper got here to day, went right on the lower I built for it Marty and Teppo Jutsu did a great job I started with a matched Stag upper and lower. TJ did the machine work needed on the upper (opening up the ejection port, and fitting a Barrel and bolt) Now all I need to do is get the rilfe out to test fire it.( if it ever drys up) I will be posting pics when I figure out how.
I did not want to go with the 5.56/.223 chambering, it took me a long time to decide on even getting an AR (35 years) some bad experiances with the M16 A1 when I was in the Marine Corps due mostly to environment and poor ammo. But they stayed with me to the point I chose not to own one or even use one while I was working LE.I always chose a 870 or MP5 while working entry team and warrants) After I retired I was looking for a project, took me a couple years to decide then the Ban sunset so I decided on a Varment AR but my bias towards the 5.56 was still strong so I researched the avalibility of other chamberings. I first settled on a 243 WSSM, and got a deal on a pair of consecutive lowers, one with a matched stripped upper. Then I read about the 458 Socom. Ballistics like a hot loaded 45-70 in a short semi auto carbine. 300 Grn JHP at 2000 FPS and 405 grn JSP at 16-1700 FPS ammo is a bit hard to come by and brass is high but Brass is high for every thing. I will be shooting this beast over the weekend if it stops raining.I will try to post pics to if I can figure it out by then
I think the .458 Socom is the best of the big bores. I like that you can use virgin mags for it. Enjoy it. Be interested to hear how it shoots.
Posted By: BMT Re: Zombie stomper got here today - 04/11/08
Good luck.

I have fired the 50 Beowulf--WAY COOL.

BMT
I've got a friend thats got a .458 Socom, and he's being keeping a secret from some people. (mutual friends)
I would really like to shoot the thing to make my own mind up whether I want one for deer hunting in our lovely state of IN.
Sounds great. Hope you enjoy it.
I just bought a S&W and 3 DPMS lowers. First build is going to be a 458.
© 24hourcampfire