Home
Posted By: jimmyp New upper for Colt sporter - 05/07/08
I have a 1980's series large pivot pin Colt Sporter H-BAR. I need to get an upper with a flat top so that I can use a telescopic sight. Any recomendations on a company that would make a nice accurate flat top large pivot pin upper with a M4 type profile and Chrome lined barrel and chamber? If I cannot find an upper I am just going to sell the thing and buy a gun I can put a telescope on!
Posted By: MIVHNTR Re: New upper for Colt sporter - 05/07/08
You can buy an adapter pin that will allow the Colt large pin lower to accept any small pin upper receiver. FWIW, if you sell the Colt (which I wouldn't) and it's a verified pre-ban rifle, it is worth more money in many states that have kept the AWB laws in place. NY comes to mind. There are others.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: New upper for Colt sporter - 05/07/08
I guess that would work. It would probably be cheaper to buy an upper anyway than an entire rifle.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: New upper for Colt sporter - 05/07/08
how well do those adapter pins work? Do they affect accuracy in any way?
Posted By: MIVHNTR Re: New upper for Colt sporter - 05/08/08
The pin simply replaces the large Colt takedown pin with a new pin that will allow the lower to accept a small pin upper. Here's a bit more info from a couple of websites.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_items.aspx?type=0&term=12

The replacement pin is listed under "Offset Screw & Nut - Colt Style" and it's $5.

Next from mapartsinc. website:
http://www.mapartsinc.com/anything.asp

"Skip this next paragraph if you don't have a Colt lower receiver...

Sometimes, when Colt has a bad day, they manufacture what is politely called a "large pin lower". Most would call it a reject. They come from a hole drilling placement error, so they just center it up in the right place and drill it out bigger. Instead of a proper .250" diameter hole (as our uppers have), you get a front pivot pin hole in the lower that is .312" diameter. Simple solution? Get the $5 Colt Offset Pin. It will adapt any standard USGI dimensioned upper to any Colt "large pivot pin" lower."
Posted By: TWR Re: New upper for Colt sporter - 05/09/08
That is the stupidest statement I've ever heard coming from a business. And of course they also tell you they use only the best quality parts... M&A who needs them?
Posted By: MIVHNTR Re: New upper for Colt sporter - 05/10/08
I will not buy anything from maparts either. The info was just for the pin related info, nothing more. BTW, I'd keep my large pin pre-ban Colt before I'd take their advice on an AR.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: New upper for Colt sporter - 05/10/08
I may just sell the thing and buy a complete noveske.
Posted By: BOW777 Re: New upper for Colt sporter - 05/13/08
All you need is an offset screw. Midway usa has them under:

DPMS Offset Screw and Nut AR-15 Matte
Adapts upper receivers with .250" takedown pin holes to fit old Colt lower receivers with 5/16 (.312)" front pivot hole diameter.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=316328

But you can also go to DPMS and get it for $3 plus shipping. I just got mine yesterday and it cost me a total of $4.3 with shipping.

Hope this helps
Posted By: jimmyp Re: New upper for Colt sporter - 05/14/08
I like the looks of the Noveske rifle, but they also said they would build me an upper on a danials large hole upper receiver, they said this was the way to go.
© 24hourcampfire