Home
Posted By: Ken14 Recoil spring lube ? - 02/21/11
What is the best lube choice for the recoil spring on the AR? Ive heard grease, that helps absorb some of the "racket" it makes when its under recoil....then Ive read just light gun oil....
Posted By: TC1 Re: Recoil spring lube ? - 02/21/11
I had this problem a few years ago and tried several oils and a little grease. The grease helped a little but not enough to make me happy. I asked the same question here and Rost495 said the best solution was to get rid of the spring. He suggested a flat wire spring. I bought a JP enterprises chrome silicone flat wire spring and couldn't be happier with it. No noise from the stock and the weapon seems to cycle more positive.

I bought mine from Brownells and paid about $22 if I remember correctly.

Terry
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Recoil spring lube ? - 02/21/11
Interesting. I guess that's what makes a Wilson Combat AR cycle so smoothly.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Recoil spring lube ? - 02/28/11
The Tubbs chrome silicone flat wire spring is the best upgrade you can do to for AR . They eliminate the ping when you fire the rifle.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Recoil spring lube ? - 02/28/11
you can coat with light grease, and a bit of oil.

I don't run the Tubb springs because if I can hear the sproing of the spring, that tells me I'm not paying attention to the shot process, so I prefer to keep mine as is. Its just a warning flag for me.

Others hate that noise and the Tubb is a solution for that by far.

As far as lubing a standard one... I just wipe some break free on mine maybe once a year when I was shooting competition. Never had any issues with them.
Just run a few bursts of full auto fire in a building or from a vehicle with no hearing protection.

I guarantee you the recoil spring noise will never be heard again....

© 24hourcampfire