Home
Posted By: memtb Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 05/04/11
Forgive me if this topic has been covered, but I have several questions pertaining to scoping an AR rifle. I presently own a DPMS Panther non-collapsing stock. I have never owned an AR platform rifle and I'm trying to scope it with a Leupold AR series scope. I have already tried two different heights and cannot get a comfortable fit. I am presently trying the Weaver Skeleton 1" extra high mounts. It seems that for me to get proper eye/scope alignment, I am forced to plant my check very firmly on the top of the stock. As never having shot an AR15 type rifle, are there any tricks or special techniques that I should imploy to properly shoulder this rifle? Do I need rings that are taller yet to gain proper eye/scope alignment? Basically to sum it up, I cannot get comfortable with this format. Any tips or suggestions will be welcome. Thanks in advance! - memtb
Posted By: GAP243 Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 05/04/11
Try the Burris P.E.P.R mount. Great one piece mount designed for AR guns and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg like the LaRue and American Defense mounts. You can get the PEPR mount with 1 inch rings which is what you would need for the Leupold AR scopes.
Posted By: ajHilgy Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 05/04/11
memtb: I too recently aquired a DPMS Panther Oracle flat top with a collapsing stock and have the same problem with a Weaver K2.5X scope being too low to see thru. I measured frome the top of the rail to the centerline of the scope and found the distance to be .75". I then rigged up several layers of card board the lentgth of the rail with two 6" metal scales sticking up vertically and sighted the shoulderd rifle to see what my eye height above the rail is.... 1.5". (I confirmed my meaurement with my son sighting the rifle.) So, shopping around I found some rail risers from .50" to 1.0" high. They are priced from as low as 10$ to upwards of 50$. I'm going to use one that is .8" high which will give me a total of about 1.6". Close enough for me. Your stock height might be different so give it a measure and see what you get.
Posted By: TWR Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 05/04/11
Guys it really ain't that hard...

The distance from flat top to factory irons is 1.4". You can buy a half a dozen one piece mounts that will work fine and give you a bit of forward movement to the scope for under $80. Look at Armalite, Rock River, Mod 1 sales, Burris, SWFA.

This comes up everytime someone buys a new AR and this link will let you explore many options at all price ranges.
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm
Posted By: jstevens Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 05/04/11
Try the Burris extreme tactical rings. Cheap, sturdy and the right height.
Posted By: memtb Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 05/10/11
Sorry it took me to long to get back to the post but I'm involved in a plant turn-around and working nights. Just want to thank you all for taking the time to offer some recomendations. - memtb
Posted By: hunt_ak Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 05/10/11
Originally Posted by memtb
Sorry it took me to long to get back to the post but I'm involved in a plant turn-around and working nights.

Gotta love turnarounds working night shift! My time is coming in July!!

2008 turnaround set my personal best for 114 hours in one week...
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 05/10/11
i put a set of old see-thru mounts on my ar ,perfect height.
Posted By: Virginian2 Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 06/13/11
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i put a set of old see-thru mounts on my ar ,perfect height.

+1

"SUPPORT OUR RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS"
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 06/14/11
unless the stock is collapsed, and you shoot 'nose-to-charge handle', then a cantilever mount is needed......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TWR Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 06/14/11
Yep.
Posted By: Kgw911 Re: Scoping a Flat Top DPMS - 06/14/11
I've always heard that you want the scope as close to the bore as possible and if I recall, some factory ammo stipulates a 1.5" scope height when giving ballistic info. If you have a big 50 or 55mm on the end of the scope, it may not have enough clearance and wind up laying on the top on the rifle, again I'm told thats no good either, and you need a riser to get it off the bore higher.
© 24hourcampfire