Home
Posted By: iambrb 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/17/11
I have found a whopper of a deal locally (too much of a whopper to tell--sorry) for a 6.8 SPC barrel and bolt with block. I am thinking of purchasing this. Who has experience with this caliber here?

Posted By: bea175 Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/17/11
The 6.8 is my favorite round in the AR . Great for coyote and deer hunting.

[Linked Image]
I'll give ya 50 bucks more...
sell my wife before my AR's
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/17/11
is it an SPC or the SPC2 chamber? What is the twist? Check around before you buy.
Posted By: iambrb Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/17/11
SPC II 1-12 TWIST.

that good?
Posted By: 30378 Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/17/11
I have taken quite a few hogs with mine and every one of them have been almost a bang-flop. Several have been over 200yds. I shoot the 110gr Hornady HP with H322. Great caliber. Only issue I see is if you use Remington brass, it is very soft.

The SPCII with 1 in 12 is as good as it gets for a 6.8.

[Linked Image]
1&11 or 1&12 is great
Posted By: iambrb Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/17/11
Originally Posted by 30378
Great caliber. Only issue I see is if you use Remington brass, it is very soft.

The SPCII with 1 in 12 is as good as it gets for a 6.8.

[Linked Image]

I had heard this elsewhere, and have expeirenced it with a 7.62 LR-308. I am going to go for it and use only Hornady, which is what this guy used. he is selling as he converted his to a 5.56 super heavy varmint lookin' goofy thing - i will pick up the barrel/bolt later today!
Posted By: 338jdj Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/17/11
If its whopper of a deal...buy it, don't rely on others opinions..shoot it..if you don't like it I'll give ya what you paid for it as long as its a whopper of a deal.
Posted By: Foxbat Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/17/11
Originally Posted by iambrb

I had heard this elsewhere, and have expeirenced it with a 7.62 LR-308. I am going to go for it and use only Hornady, which is what this guy used. he is selling as he converted his to a 5.56 super heavy varmint lookin' goofy thing - i will pick up the barrel/bolt later today!

Nothing wrong with Silver State brass. That's what I primarily use.
Originally Posted by 338jdj
If its whopper of a deal...buy it, don't rely on others opinions..shoot it..if you don't like it I'll give ya what you paid for it as long as its a whopper of a deal.

wait, i already offered 50 over his cost....
Posted By: 338jdj Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/17/11
Originally Posted by rost495

Sorry my bad Rost....I retract my offer.
Best cartridge that will fit the AR 15 platform without a doubt for deer, pigs and yotes to 300-400.
Wouldn't mess w rem or hornady brass at all. Ssa is by far the best brass and ammo out there.
Get a good 85 tsx load going for deer and a 90 TNT load for practice and yotesnand just bbl break in.
If it's a arp barrel call the builder. He has all the load data you will ever need.

Jb
Posted By: iambrb Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/18/11

too bad - had 150 rnds thru it, and I paid $165 for barrel and bolt, $15 for the dies, $40 for a combo of 42 rnds loaded and 58 empties @ $220 total...........................and it ain't fer-sale!
You'll love it. I've killed alot of stuff with mine. Mild recoil, very accurate, and drops 'em in their tracks with 110 AccuBombs.

Just funnin...
Originally Posted by Palmetto
Best cartridge that will fit the AR 15 platform without a doubt for deer, pigs and yotes to 300-400.
Wouldn't mess w rem or hornady brass at all. Ssa is by far the best brass and ammo out there.
Get a good 85 tsx load going for deer and a 90 TNT load for practice and yotesnand just bbl break in.
If it's a arp barrel call the builder. He has all the load data you will ever need.

Jb

I don't know that I agree with that totally. I prefer the 6.5 Grendel round myself. But thats just personal. Doesn't help that I can't stand .277 caliber for some reason that I can't justify.

But you ain't kiddin on brass. Run SSA and don't look back. Its all I run in my 6.8 necked to 6mm.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/19/11
what does 100 sticks of the SSA brass cost these days? On the interwebs someone was complaining on M4 carbine net I think about the high cost of reloading for the 6.8? That part would be the least of my worries, I shoot TSX bullets and their not cheap regardless of caliber!
Posted By: Foxbat Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/19/11
$45 for 100 SSA brass from Wilson Combat.

Posted By: jimmyp Re: 6.8 SPC shooting experience - 11/20/11
thanks, that seems reasonable as well.
Once fired 6.8 brass can be bought for .30-.35 per round on 68forum. Remington brass is large rifle primer and is a little cheaper where all other manufacturers use small rifle primers. Some love it, some hate it...
Rem brass does not do well in either of the barrles I have reloaded for in. I do not know why. Maybe LR primers just don't like the powders I'm using or the bullet weights I don't know.
Also loaded rem ammo is really bad and bullet selection is terrible for anything other than plinking.
With virgin rem brass you will find plenty dented necks and missing flash holes in every batch as well. Stick with SSA and you will get better accuracy, better brass, and more reloads per piece.
I like 6mm and the 6.5 options available for the 15 platform as well, just haven't had any experience with em. Some day I plan on doing a 6mm of some sort.
6.8 isn't an ultra long range cartridge by any stretch. Deer, yotes, pigs and similar sized game under 300 are easy with 85 tsxs. Most of the good barrels will shoot sub moa with factory ssa right out of the box no problem.
You do get a velocity increase worth having with 18-20" tubes for sure. My choices in bbls are Bison, ARP, and WOA.
ARP will build you a top notch upper with good components cheaper than you can build it yourself. It will shoot and function properly or the builder will see that it does immediately.
Won't be too long before we see a lot more 6.8 bullets available. Maybe there is a lighter weight sweet spot in monolithic bullets that will give a higher BC and more velocity. I'd stick with stuff under 100 that is built to kill deer. The barnes 85s have not let me down yet at any shot angle on any sized deer yet.
© 24hourcampfire