Home
Posted By: Buck1919 muzzle flash issue - 02/16/12
I have a DPMS with a 16" bull barrel. I am looking to find a powder for reloading that has minimal muzzle flash for hunting at night for coyotes. The barrel is not threaded so a flash suppressor is not an option without getting barrel threaded. I an flexible for bullet weights up to mid 60 grain bullets.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: muzzle flash issue - 02/16/12
IMO threading might be the best option. A Vortex flash hider definitely will significantly reduce muzzle flash and maybe more than any powder change would..........dj
Barrel threading is a relatively inexpensive process from a decent gunsmith. It beats changing loads. Aside from that, I would simply find what load shoots best and continue to use it, regardless of muzzle flash.

Being behind the gun, doing the shooting is rarely as bad as being aside the gun, observing.
Posted By: TWR Re: muzzle flash issue - 02/16/12
until you notice the basketball sized fireball... then it's very distracting, or at least it was to me. I'd get it threaded and put a vortex on it.

Posted By: rost495 Re: muzzle flash issue - 02/16/12
I wonder... are there not flash hiders that go on non threaded barrels.... IIRC ALexander Arms was selling one for the 50 beowulf... I"d imagine just a clamp on and or set screws...
Posted By: Ruger280 Re: muzzle flash issue - 02/16/12
I guess a flash hider is your best bet as others have recommended.

A fast burning extruded powder like IMR/H 4198 will be a good choice with 50-55gr which is all you need for varmints anyway. Likely 4198 maybe a little fast burning for heavy bullets.

Most any extruded is better then ball IME.
Posted By: Ruger280 Re: muzzle flash issue - 02/16/12
To add I used I4198 in a 14" contender handgun and the flash was far from distracting though it is a single shot...
Posted By: rost495 Re: muzzle flash issue - 02/16/12
a friend used only 4198 in his AR for years. I have no clue why, but evidently it worked for him!
Posted By: Buck1919 Re: muzzle flash issue - 02/21/12
I tried 10 different powders all loaded at medium velocities according to specs. The 3 that had the least amount of muzzle flash were IMR 4198... Benchmark... and Varget. Thanks for the info from the people that posted.
Posted By: Seafire Re: muzzle flash issue - 02/21/12
Well I can tell you to keep clear of H 335....
© 24hourcampfire